Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

On 10/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, Bullneck said:

From the sound of your post, VA voters are morons.  Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to tell the schools what to teach.

It's outside money pouring in.  Parents never cared about school board meetings before.  Even the local news has noted it.  Republican special interest groups are now putting school boards in their crosshairs.  Until they eliminate dark money from elections, this nation will get worse.  Especially since the money can originate from overseas as well.  American laws and education are for sale and it's unconscionable. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/covid-critical-race-theory-sleepy-school-board-races-are-waking-rcna3046

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

NOVA + Richmond + Hampton Roads are the higher turnout CDs so far in early voting - VA-10 surpassed 100,000 yesterday.   The 2 districts furthest west that border WV and Kentucky are 2 of the 3 lowest turnout CDs so far.   

Richmond is progressive.  The Old South types moved out of the city to escape minorities and liberal agendas.  Although you wouldn't know it if you visited the cemeteries that house confederate soldiers where they still put out flags and flowers for their treasonous dead.

This shit about “parents telling schools what to teach” gives me tired brain. How many parents were consulted when common core math was adopted into the curriculum? How many parents need to approve teaching about pollination and honey bees on a Thursday in November to kindergarteners? 

Mdhorn is dead right on this stuff. It’s astroturfed bad faith bullshit, that only resonates with people who were  already going to vote GOP. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Telling parents to just home school if they don't like what they are learning at school is callous at best.  Let's see how that message plus running on 'But Trump' works for Terry.

It's not callous and they aren't just trying to stop mask mandates, nor does it stop with ending critical race theory--a made up non-story.  If they can make this up, why can't they make up other bogus topics and get angry that schools aren't teaching enough bible based curriculum?  Money from the outside is determining their concern.  And it's a good thing Fox News didn't exist back in the time of Polio.    

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

It's not callous and they aren't just trying to stop mask mandates, nor does it stop with ending critical race theory--a made up non-story.  If they can make this up, why can't they make up other bogus topics and get angry that schools aren't teaching enough bible based curriculum?  Money from the outside is determining their concern.  And it's a good thing Fox News didn't exist back in the time of Polio.    

No , it's more than mask mandates, and pre dates covid.  Schools are teaching more sex education at younger ages, and many parents don't like it. Parents should have a say in what schools teach regarding things beyond the 3R's.  

To say you should homeschool if you don't like the curriculum is an ignorant comment.

Js1, I hope you're right on this with the polls but if voters get slack thinking the vote will take care of itself, then it will be a red wave.  In a Democracy, that's always a concern, and it's how the right has entrenched itself with minority rule.  If citizens always took elections seriously and voted, then some of this would never come to pass, which also means that candidates from both parties would be a whole lot more honest and brighter.  

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This shit about “parents telling schools what to teach” gives me tired brain. How many parents were consulted when common core math was adopted into the curriculum? How many parents need to approve teaching about pollination and honey bees on a Thursday in November to kindergarteners? 

Mdhorn is dead right on this stuff. It’s astroturfed bad faith bullshit, that only resonates with people who were  already going to vote GOP. 

It 100% is. 

Youngkin's newest ad with a "concerned parent" is actually the mom of the associate general counsel for the NRCC who is in his 20s.  

Youngkin Ad Stars Mom Whose Son Was Scared By Toni Morrison Novel (talkingpointsmemo.com)

The book was....Toni Morrison's "Beloved" that he read as a high school senior in AP English.  This "concerned parent" has been on an 8 year crusade to get the book banned. 

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

No , it's more than mask mandates, and pre dates covid.  Schools are teaching more sex education at younger ages, and many parents don't like it. Parents should have a say in what schools teach regarding things beyond the 3R's.  

To say you should homeschool if you don't like the curriculum is an ignorant comment.

To think sex education being taught at earlier ages isn't a result of parenting is an ignorant comment.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

To think sex education being taught at earlier ages isn't a result of parenting is an ignorant comment.  

Say wut ?  Sex education really starts to get into a grey area as to what should be taught in publics, and at what age.  We have friends who were strong public school advocates (like myself and my wife) who took their kids out of the system and reluctantly put them in private schools. I say reluctantly because our local system is among the best in the state, but has begun to swerve away from academic rigor, and is now focussing on more social issue related education.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I don't understand what you think is made up? Terry said on the debate stage that parent's should not have a say in what their kids learn.  Then Js1 said if parents don't like it then they should just homeschool (it is absolutely callous to suggest that option given it is not educationally or economically feasible for people to pull their kids out of public school). That comment combined with the sexual assault that the school board tried to cover up is exactly why the race has tightened.

It sounds like what y'all are pissed about is Terry making a fucking stupid comment that has the potential to swing the election because it motivates the shit out of parents. Specifically suburban moms that were critical to 2020 results. And that's fine.  But don't act like everything that has happened is just made up fantasy shit.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

It's outside money pouring in.  Parents never cared about school board meetings before.  Even the local news has noted it.  Republican special interest groups are now putting school boards in their crosshairs.  Until they eliminate dark money from elections, this nation will get worse.  Especially since the money can originate from overseas as well.  American laws and education are for sale and it's unconscionable. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/covid-critical-race-theory-sleepy-school-board-races-are-waking-rcna3046

We had a candidate for that. It was going to be her #1 priority as president. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/9/16/20867216/elizabeth-warren-anti-corruption-bill

c62qT4GGv5Bu.gif

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I say reluctantly because our local system is among the best in the state, but has begun to swerve away from academic rigor, and is now focussing on more social issue related education.

Respectfully, I think teaching kids more about social issues, increasing their awareness to help to build understanding is just as important. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

We had a candidate for that. It was going to be her #1 priority as president. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/9/16/20867216/elizabeth-warren-anti-corruption-bill

c62qT4GGv5Bu.gif

And then she got Pocahontased.  I like her.  She's not 100% a politician which I love.  I would vote for her despite her claim to be Native American.  Don't care.  But we're a stupid society.    Her and Pete getting elected would be my pipe dream--just never gonna happen.  

25 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I don't understand what you think is made up? Terry said on the debate stage that parent's should not have a say in what their kids learn.  Then Js1 said if parents don't like it then they should just homeschool (it is absolutely callous to suggest that option given it is not educationally or economically feasible for people to pull their kids out of public school). That comment combined with the sexual assault that the school board tried to cover up is exactly why the race has tightened.

It sounds like what y'all are pissed about is Terry making a fucking stupid comment that has the potential to swing the election because it motivates the shit out of parents. Specifically suburban moms that were critical to 2020 results. And that's fine.  But don't act like everything that has happened is just made up fantasy shit.

Suburban moms critical of 2020 results regarding Trump, who has rape charges and paid hush money for sex--amongst a shit storm of other charges, so many we needed to adopt a rule that a sitting president can't be charged because he obviously did a lot of shit? That guy that Youngkin supported as well?   But y'all are worried about sex education and critical race theory?  Concern level phonier than a 3 dollar bill.  Just no.    

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, YChang said:

Respectfully, I think teaching kids more about social issues, increasing their awareness to help to build understanding is just as important. 

I agree, we want a well educated populace, but social issues are secondary to educating them in my opinion.

Important yes, but if you teach kids, and expect academic performance I think you're already creating students better equipped to deal with social issues, and to think for themselves about those issues.  

This board is rife with people posting liberals are typically better educated than republicans/ conservatives.  I think that speaks directly to my point, that education is the paramount factor in people being better informed, and equipped to deal with those social issues.

4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Suburban moms critical of 2020 results regarding Trump, who has rape charges and paid hush money for sex--amongst a shit storm of other charges, so many we needed to adopt a rule that a sitting president can't be charged because he obviously did a lot of shit? That guy that Youngkin supported as well?   But y'all are worried about sex education and critical race theory?  Concern level phonier than a 3 dollar bill.  Just no.    

Critical to, not of.  Meaning the reason why Trump lost was because of all those moms hating dotard and voting against him.  He isn't on the ballot this time no matter how many times Terry tries to make it about him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

How is Bill Clinton's errand boy the best VA Dems can do in 2021? This isn't exactly Oklahoma...there are lots of smart people in VA. 

Smart people don’t want to be politicians because if they have a moral compass they can likely make more money elsewhere. Plus it’s a fuck ton of work to be vilified and make your family a target to half the population these days. So you get either true, true altruists but more likely you get either the power hungry, unhinged, or both combined. 

you couldn’t pay me enough to run for office. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Critical to, not of.  Meaning the reason why Trump lost was because of all those moms hating dotard and voting against him.  He isn't on the ballot this time no matter how many times Terry tries to make it about him. 

I don't think Trump could game the system any more than he did--there are just more Democrats.  That's why they're buckling down to disenfranchise and suppress voters.  

In Texas and Florida, politicians are tripping over themselves trying to show their support for Trump and outTrump each other.  Donalds's going to be on the ballot as long as his supporters are running.  As much as some want him to disappear, that's not going away the next election cycle.  

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Smart people don’t want to be politicians because if they have a moral compass they can likely make more money elsewhere. Plus it’s a fuck ton of work to be vilified and make your family a target to half the population these days. So you get either true, true altruists but more likely you get either the power hungry, unhinged, or both combined. 

you couldn’t pay me enough to run for office. 

True but there's also a lot of smart people situated in and around the DC/DMV area for the specific purpose of getting into politics. You'd think that state would be breeding ground for a young fresh Dem face like Ossoff or Andy Beshear. 

Edited by Bruh Man

11 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The Northern part carries the whole state--it's why the rest of the state threatens to secede to WVA, like Maryland. They don't understand how Democracy is supposed to work--favors the majority.  Fuck-em.  There's plenty of Southern states for them to move to where they can suppress the will of the majority.  

No doubt, NOVA is the huge driver.  When it comes to the margins, though, turnout matters. I would not count on ONLY the Northern Virginia area to carry the state for the next two elections at least.

I wasn't actually trying to make this point, but I guess I will now - like big cities, even small cities tend to trend blue even in red seas.  Roanoke City (not county) and Montgomery County (includes Va Tech/Blacksburg) have been blue in the red of SW Virginia.  The difference to me is - in Houston you can drive 10s of miles and never leave the city.  In a place like Roanoke you drive 10 miles and you run into:

f75c4056f6c22244a55c91bbb0742097.jpg?t%5B%5D=1960x1100q50

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I agree, we want a well educated populace, but social issues are secondary to educating them in my opinion.

Important yes, but if you teach kids, and expect academic performance I think you're already creating students better equipped to deal with social issues, and to think for themselves about those issues.  

This board is rife with people posting liberals are typically better educated than republicans/ conservatives.  I think that speaks directly to my point, that education is the paramount factor in people being better informed, and equipped to deal with those social issues.

I thought about brandishing all my credentials as an AP teacher and College Board employee, who has been fighting for access to advanced academics courses for all students no matter their ethnic, racial, or socioeconmic group for the last 18 years. But, nah, this is more appropriate for what you posted.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I thought about brandishing all my credentials as an AP teacher and College Board employee, who has been fighting for access to advanced academics courses for all students no matter their ethnic, racial, or socioeconmic group for the last 18 years. But, nah, this is more appropriate for what you posted.

Cute 

52 minutes ago, grazinhorn said:

No doubt, NOVA is the huge driver.  When it comes to the margins, though, turnout matters. I would not count on ONLY the Northern Virginia area to carry the state for the next two elections at least.

I wasn't actually trying to make this point, but I guess I will now - like big cities, even small cities tend to trend blue even in red seas.  Roanoke City (not county) and Montgomery County (includes Va Tech/Blacksburg) have been blue in the red of SW Virginia.  The difference to me is - in Houston you can drive 10s of miles and never leave the city.  In a place like Roanoke you drive 10 miles and you run into:

LOL. Is that a dude or a chick that is of course fat and wearing the neon blue shirt? If it’s a dude is it onboard or immortal?

I get why some conservative parents don't want their kids learning that white people have done bad things in the past (& present.) That may be the opposite of what is taught at home where non-white people are the ones causing current problems. Teach the kids to critically think and question what the parents are saying, there is a next generation of non-conservatives.

It's also a false narrative that parents get to decide what is taught in public school. They don't. They have a say in it but it's ultimately decided by politicians and voters, since they fund the school.

18 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The same astroturfing was done with common core, right?  Its never been about social issues or academic performance.  It’s always been about trying to creep religious education into public schooling, or shifting tax money into religious private education. CRT is the latest name plate on the education wedge Rs have been hammering for as long as I can remember. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

How is Bill Clinton's errand boy the best VA Dems can do in 2021? This isn't exactly Oklahoma...there are lots of smart people in VA. 

Traditionally, the offices below the Governor (who is term limited to 1 term) run for the next higher office, but the current Lt. Governor had a Me Too scandal, so Mcauliffe stepped in when it looked like the party wasn’t going to have a viable candidate. 

Also, if you are so tender and weak that you can’t stomach your kid reading Beloved, you should withdraw from society due to your fragile snowflake constitution.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The same astroturfing was done with common core, right?  Its never been about social issues or academic performance.  It’s always been about trying to creep religious education into public schooling, or shifting tax money into religious private education. CRT is the latest name plate on the education wedge Rs have been hammering for as long as I can remember. 

Ironically, if you want your kid to have a progressive education these days that includes things like climate change, the theory of evolution, slavery, and diversity training you go to private schools. Because that shit is all being stripped out of public schools. Gutted. 

My wife works at a private school, and as a result we can send our son there. And it’s a religious private school. They go to chapel weekly. It’s night and day a more progressive, neutral, and kinder education than public schools in our area. And nothing angers me more than seeing how our tax dollars and politics have shat all over public school. And if my wife hadn’t gotten this job, we’d have no frame of comparison. It’s disturbing. 

On 10/25/2021 at 11:41 AM, babysdaddy said:

Tell me you don't have any kids without telling me you don't have any kids.

I'd be shocked if an R can win in Virginia but it looks basically like a dead heat.  

Username checks out

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Well, the public school system would be perfect if we would just ban all books except the Bible and teach only that.  Then we would have a great education system for these inbred pieces of shit on the right.  Yeah, I said they are pieces of shit and I am tired of trying to be nice to these people.  They are simple, stupid and easily manipulated by the right wing radio, Fox News and Republican politicians and are bad for our country.  Banning books?  Screw that.  More than half the people offended by that book can’t even read and I guarantee never read Beloved, the book in question.  You know, we can find people that are offended by Twain, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Tolstoy, Joyce, etc… and if Fox News decides to make those authors “an issue” then we will have idiots screaming to ban those books also.  Going back to the first sentence in my rant, I think there are a chunk of people on the right that would be fine to ban all books except the Bible I know I may sound elitist but people like that shouldn’t have a say in how our society is run.  Same goes for the flat earth Kylie Irvings of the world when it comes to science.  Sorry, but I had to spend a business dinner with clients last night telling me how the vaccine is controlled by Bill Gates and they know people that got paralyzed from the vaccine so they won’t take it and it just put me in a bad mood not being able to tell these idiots my real feelings because I do kind of want to keep my job.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

10 hours ago, grazinhorn said:

Should probably be nuked just to be sure. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is what Virginia would be electing. 

I thought Democrats were the party of cancel culture?  Turns out the GOP just conducts good old fashion censorship.  

6 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Well, the public school system would be perfect if we would just ban all books except the Bible and teach only that.  Then we would have a great education system for these inbred pieces of shit on the right.  Yeah, I said they are pieces of shit and I am tired of trying to be nice to these people.  They are simple, stupid and easily manipulated by the right wing radio, Fox News and Republican politicians and are bad for our country.  Banning books?  Screw that.  More than half the people offended by that book can’t even read and I guarantee never read Beloved, the book in question.  You know, we can find people that are offended by Twain, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Tolstoy, Joyce, etc… and if Fox News decides to make those authors “an issue” then we will have idiots screaming to ban those books also.  Going back to the first sentence in my rant, I think there are a chunk of people on the right that would be fine to ban all books except the Bible I know I may sound elitist but people like that shouldn’t have a say in how our society is run.  Same goes for the flat earth Kylie Irvings of the world when it comes to science.  Sorry, but I had to spend a business dinner with clients last night telling me how the vaccine is controlled by Bill Gates and they know people that got paralyzed from the vaccine so they won’t take it and it just put me in a bad mood not being able to tell these idiots my real feelings because I do kind of want to keep my job.  

You think they read the Bible?  Trump was unable to name one bible verse from his favorite book.  The bible outlines a direct conflict with their bigotry.  If they began reading the bible in school, I'd be curious how they'd interpret passages that directly state that man was created in God's image, and God is love, and love thy neighbor as yourself, blah, blah--so how can man be against other men if they too are created in God's image out of love?  That's a direct denial of God.  I could go on and on but Fuck these charlatans.  They're not reading, much less the Bible, and they're not vessels retaining God's word.  As soon as their children began reading it, they'd have questions and then we'd need to edit the bible, yet again.  

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i'll be interested to see if we ever have another election in this country where the gop doesn't cry foul.

their internals must not look great.

When losers lose they always claim the game was rigged against them. Their views are in the minority so they have to eliminate democracy to ever win again.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Say wut ?  Sex education really starts to get into a grey area as to what should be taught in publics, and at what age.  We have friends who were strong public school advocates (like myself and my wife) who took their kids out of the system and reluctantly put them in private schools. I say reluctantly because our local system is among the best in the state, but has begun to swerve away from academic rigor, and is now focussing on more social issue related education.

You kids have three options.

1. You can teach your kids sex ed.
  2. The schools can teach your kids sex ed.
  3. Their friends and the internet can teach them sex ed.

If you don't do #1 or push it off, and you try and get #2 pushed back as far as possible, then option #3 is how they will learn.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

51 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

When losers lose they always claim the game was rigged against them. Their views are in the minority so they have to eliminate democracy to ever win again.

Also claiming it 6 days out?  Really motivating the base to show up on election day…. It’s rigged, why bother! Stay home! 

13 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Fuck common core

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You kids have three options.

1. You can teach your kids sex ed.
  2. The schools can teach your kids sex ed.
  3. Their friends and the internet can teach them sex ed.

If you don't do #1 or push it off, and you try and get #2 pushed back as far as possible, then option #3 is how they will learn.

This is a very simple concept and it is mind numbing to me that there is a large swath of the population that doesn't seem to grasp it. I cannot imagine living in that kind of bubble.

• Like 1