Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

If NOVA is at a slight increase from 2017 turnout Ds could eek out a close win. VA was D+9, about 275k votes, in 2017. That's a relatively big gap. R's need to get 125 percent of the raw vote total they got in 2917 just to hit the mark Ds got in that election. If NOVA is at or slightly above 2017 levels, I am not sure there are enough R votes out there, even if red counties end up with a 25-30 percent turnout increase, because that's not converting to votes at a 1:1 ratio.

tl;dr - I have no idea what to expect, but seeing Charlottesville (small college town) down is less worrying when NOVA (biggest population center and Democratic stronghold) is not.

I probably just guaranteed a Republican win though.

Edited by gmr548

Per a prior comment on ineffectual Dems…and this may not be the right thread for it…but the part that I consistently see in the news about Dems failing to make progress is due almost solely to Manchin and Sienna.  

Someone tell me how that’s not true

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Per a prior comment on ineffectual Dems…and this may not be the right thread for it…but the part that I consistently see in the news about Dems failing to make progress is due almost solely to Manchin and Sienna.  

Someone tell me how that’s not true

It’s true in a sense but it’s also missing a larger picture. The Dems would likely have a lot of what they wanted if Manchin and Sinema were more traditional Democrats, let alone Progressives.

But in the larger picture, if Manchin was a traditional Democrat, he wouldn’t be the Senator from West Virginia. Some Republican would and the Democrats would be making even LESS progress. Probably also true of Sinema and Arizona, but not quite as obvious and a closer run thing. Arizona is not solidly blue and Sinema won on a pretty centrist ticket. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Our electorate is getting worse. All the casual observers who thought Biden's victory was an end to the insanity are about to have another think.

I knew the problems weren't over, but I really didn't expect the contagion to spread and grow stronger among the Trumpists and GOP hangers_on. That's one hell of a hate engine they built. Malignant and addictive.

Forty years of the radio gods and the growing moron chorus.

It's fucking bad.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I’m trying to care about the Virginia governor race. But I don’t. Results will be forgotten by end of week. 

You're identifying the problem. Few understand what the republic is or that it takes involvement to make it work. You know, boring shit.

I doubt very many people outside of the national TV news and Virginia even care tonight. I'm not on the edge of my seat about the outcome. The demoralizing part is that it's even a contest.

I guess it may be even more demoralizing that this won't bother anybody a week from now.

The electorate is submitting through indifference, inaction, or blind loyalty to the Red Team colors.

49 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Our electorate is getting worse. All the casual observers who thought Biden's victory was an end to the insanity are about to have another think.

I knew the problems weren't over, but I really didn't expect the contagion to spread and grow stronger among the Trumpists and GOP hangers_on. That's one hell of a hate engine they built. Malignant and addictive.

It's fucking bad.

There are lots of younger folks in my neighborhood, and the last two conversations I've had with some of them to me represent a significant dumbing down.  I think people in their 30s and early 40s are savvy as fuck and now shit loads of stuff, but they don't seem to be particularly interested in trying to understand an issue even to the level of a newspaper article. 

Nobody gives a fuck what the repercussions of political decisions are.  There's just no fucking time, or reason, to understand what those repercussions are.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're identifying the problem. Few understand what the republic is or that it takes involvement to make it work. You know, boring shit.

I doubt very many people outside of the national TV news and Virginia even care tonight. I'm not on the edge of my seat about the outcome. The demoralizing part is that it's even a contest.

I guess it may be even more demoralizing that this won't bother anybody a week from now.

The electorate is submitting through indifference, inaction, or blind loyalty to the Red Team colors.

Elections have consequences.  

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s true in a sense but it’s also missing a larger picture. The Dems would likely have a lot of what they wanted if Manchin and Sinema were more traditional Democrats, let alone Progressives.

But in the larger picture, if Manchin was a traditional Democrat, he wouldn’t be the Senator from West Virginia. Some Republican would and the Democrats would be making even LESS progress. Probably also true of Sinema and Arizona, but not quite as obvious and a closer run thing. Arizona is not solidly blue and Sinema won on a pretty centrist ticket. 

She's not centrist at all, and Manchin hasn't done shit for the Dems.  In fact, if Youngkin wins, I give it a week or two when he bails to the Republican brand.  Be proactive and boot their asses now, and call them out publicly for why.  Again, don't let them control the message.  I totally expect this all to fail because it's what the Dems do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

based on what i've heard and read, there are 2 ways the dems lose this election:

1) a bunch of biden/dem voters decided to vote r

2) gop enthusiasm/turnout way up - dem turnout way down

i choose to believe option 1 is make-believe and option 2 is the way youngkin wins.  i get it, it's off year, bad campaign by dems, etc.  in a blue state, which virginia is, bigger turnout is always going to be better for the blue team.

No way dems could not give a shit about this election season with what they've been harangued with both on the radio and on tv.  You either care or you don't.  We can't be this shortsighted after this past 4 years of douchebaggery, and all the shit that continues to ooze out from that administration.  

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

No way dems could not give a shit about this election season with what they've been harangued with both on the radio and on tv.  You either care or you don't.  We can't be this shortsighted after this past 4 years of douchebaggery, and all the shit that continues to ooze out from that administration.  

And yet…This is America. 

21 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this is america. 

Behind the Bastards podcast on Koch Brothers, Robert brought up how the Koch foundation put in a lot $$& on focus groups on how to get the ppl riled up and voting R, they also scared the suburbs voters back to R.

A good listen if you have time to kill, a 2 parter 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-charles-koch-the-luke-29710683/

We are a Jeffersonian republic of metaphorical “yeoman” farmers, which TJ said as a capital owner. Watching working class whites coming pouring out of the wood work to vote for candidate who will spend his 4 years advancing the causes of the Capitol owning class while playing up newsworthy “social strife” issues just confers that. The rich dads in Loudoun and Henrico who went back to the GOP after 2020 I get, they were just returning to the fold.  All the random poors in the sticks who voted for Glenn Youngkin who will literally never think about again….

Thomas Jefferson understood both the people and the overlord class in this country better than most people today.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Mcauliffe was as low-t as they get but with 10 months of Democratic control of President-Congress-senate and jack shit to show for it 2022 is shaping up to be a bloodbath for democrats. 

The limpest of limp dicks.

Having said that, this is a terrible night for Dems. And Biden carries that weight. 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

It's fucking bad.

The American electorate as a whole is fucking ignorant.  It is disgusting.  

However, why did the Dems trot out McAuliffe?  He is tired and had a TON of baggage.  Where is the bench?  

Look at leaders around the world.  Macron is my age (43), the PMs of Finland and New Zealand are younger than 40.  Why does the US trend towards old, white, and male?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

From an executive order perspective: yes

from a “return to normal” Bi-partisan Joe perspective: no. Sinema/Melendez/manchin are sinking that ship

Then he should have spent a bit more time obsessing about the Afghanistan withdrawal, instead of fobbing it off on State and the Pentagon.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No, I want young people who represent the people.  Old White Males are not the fucking answer.  And to keep trotting them out there is fucking stupid. 

This is the deep analysis of the merits of political candidates we should demand.  

4 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I know but Macron is young white male and theyre all white.

And Finland is mostly white.  Not sure about New Zealand.  France is more diverse, but still a shitload of white people.  Being white isn't a disqualifier.  However, when you look at the US Government, and a lot of state governments, they are most definitely NOT representative of the people they are supposed to represent.  It is absolutely disgusting that the United States has not had a female president when more than half of this country is female.

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

This is the deep analysis of the merits of political candidates we should demand.  

Unfortunately, a candidate that looks like them is what motivates some people to vote.  I wish most voters actually listened to positions and were smart enough to understand them, but they are not.  We are in the dumbest fucking timeline.