Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

7 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

This is a great night. Tonight solidifies that 2020 wasn’t about people loving Biden but more so about voters hating Trump. America chose incompetence over narcissism. We were losers either way but at least Biden is less exhausting.

Just glad to see that Virginia/Minneapolis/NJ? isn’t interested in the woke bullshit.

I'll agree with you on the bolded. Biden was pretty far down my list of preferred Dem candidates, but the greatest imperative this time last year was simply getting the psychopath out of office before he got us all kilt.

Having not followed the Virginia election, I can only hope that the fine people of Virginia elect an executive who is the less crazy, less corrupt, and more competent than the other, which was basically the equation for the 2020 presidential outcome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You are ignorant for voting for Youngkin because NOTHING he has shown tells me he isn't like every other GQP politician in the US, using fear as a motivator, and willing to bend the knee to Trump.

If you think that Youngkin = Matt Gaetz or Louis Gohmert your mind is totally broken.  

14 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

This is a great night. Tonight solidifies that 2020 wasn’t about people loving Biden but more so about voters hating Trump. America chose incompetence over narcissism. We were losers either way but at least Biden is less exhausting.

Just glad to see that Virginia/Minneapolis/NJ? isn’t interested in the woke bullshit.

This. Will Republicans read the room here and realize Trump 2024 needs to be put to pasture ? Or will they read this as a "Trump" victory.. 

Crazy how Virginia went from enlightened and progressive when they were voting for Obama twice and Biden by 10 points last year back to racist hillbillies while electing a black Lt gov and son of immigrant AG.
Tonight showed the way forward for the GOP - run likeable candidates, drop the conspiracy stuff, speak to issues that matter to parents and families, let the Dems continue to listen to twitter and the Squad, and refuse to take the bait when the Dems (and 99% of the CR) scream "but trump but trump but trump!"
We'll see if the party can stay this disciplined in 2022.

I understand you’re feeling good and want to spike the football and all, but your way out over your skis on the first part. No one said that, not really even close. The American electorate is ignorant, which includes a ton of voters on both sides and in the middle, and that’s not really debatable at all. That doesn’t mean you have to get a victim complex going about some fabricated insult.

Definitely agree this election is more about the Democrats not getting much done and trying to make the election about Trump than it is anything the GOP did or didn’t do. And whatever the comment was about parents and schools might not have helped either - it’s gotten a lot of run and sometimes that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. American elections can often swing in sound bites. Don’t interrupt your enemy when he’s making a mistake and all that.

The GOP can probably count on Democrats continuing to not get much done. Sigh.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You are ignorant for voting for Youngkin because NOTHING he has shown tells me he isn't like every other GQP politician in the US, using fear as a motivator, and willing to bend the knee to Trump.

Oy vey trump derangement syndrome rears it’s heads yet again.

I would never vote for mcauliffe he was a dirty as shit political hack.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Cement said:

If you think that Youngkin = Matt Gaetz or Louis Gohmert your mind is totally broken.  

No, I think he is more like Lindsey Graham.  One who says some decent things, but at the end of the day, still bent the fucking knee.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

This. Will Republicans read the room here and realize Trump 2024 needs to be put to pasture ? Or will they read this as a "Trump" victory.. 

Agreed. I said the same thing to my wife earlier. However, Trump is too self absorbed not to realize that tonight is a complete and utter repudiation of him and NOT an endorsement. Sigh…

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Youngkin is a political outsider and that was a reason I voted for him.  I couldn’t care less about trump endorsing him. Similar reason I voted for Northam when he ran for governor last time.

Again though your comment is kind of strange . Mcauliffe sucked, but we were ignorant for voting for Youngkin………..Peculiar.

Someone who attends the crazy gqp party events and speaks their qanon language isn’t an “outsider”.  That’s the definition of an “insider”. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

Agreed. I said the same thing to my wife earlier. However, Trump is too self absorbed not to realize that tonight is a complete and utter repudiation of him and NOT an endorsement. Sigh…

Tonight should be proof positive that the Democrats need Trump more than the GOP.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oy vey trump derangement syndrome rears it’s heads yet again.

I would never vote for mcauliffe he was a dirty as shit political hack.

Ya know I’ve never been rude to you, always engaged you politely, and you flip me off ?  

You’re kind of a jerk here lady .  Oh no the Democrat didn’t win it must be cause the voters are stoopid.

Waaaah we didn’t win you’re all meanies….

bless your heart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

This is probably the most important question re: the midterms. Democrats, in all likelihood, will continue to underwhelm at the federal level. The opportunity will be there for the GOP if they’re able to avoid having to go full MAGA. Will they?
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Got to have a boogeyman to balance out the empty chair sitting in the Oval Office right now

This is why I am flipping you off.  You are such an assclown.  You voted for Trump.  You and people like you are the reason we had 4 years of hell.  You voted for him to not have HRC.  You would have been better off voting third party or staying the fuck at home.  I voted third party and I sure as fuck didn't repeat that mistake.  

The GQP and Trump incited a fucking insurrection, and you are still on team red?  Fuck you.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Damn Penelope 2x……well fuck you too lady.

wasaah we didn’t get our way waaaah the voters didn’t do what I wanted them to do. You really are being a dick in this thread.

Your party is all in on the destruction of the Republic.  You need to sit down and shut up.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is probably the most important question re: the midterms. Democrats, in all likelihood, will continue to underwhelm at the federal level. The opportunity will be there for the GOP if they’re able to avoid having to go full MAGA. Will they?

Kind of hard to fucking get anything done at the federal level with Manchin and Sinema there.  It is absolutely disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

Your party is all in on the destruction of the Republic.  You need to sit down and shut up.  
This is where he tells you about voting for a democrat that one time (it was Jimmy Carter and even onboard had to recognize that the Republican was a corrupt piece of shit)
  • Haha 1

VA House will be 50-50 with no tie breaking mechanism. The senate is a slight D majority. I don’t know much about him, but MAGA or not, Youngkin will have to govern as a moderate to get anything done.

Of course, the VA governorship is a one term deal so he can just use it to spout nonsense and build his profile amongst the base for four years if he so chooses, without any direct electoral consequences. We’ll see how it goes.

NJ is probably the bigger disaster for the Ds. Everyone know they ran a garbage candidate in VA. NJ is really out of left field, win or lose.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

VA House will be 50-50 with no tie breaking mechanism. The senate is a slight D majority. I don’t know much about him, but MAGA or not, Youngkin will have to govern as a moderate to get anything done.

Of course, the VA governorship is a one term deal so he can just use it to spout nonsense and build his profile amongst the base for four years if he so chooses, without any direct electoral consequences. We’ll see how it goes.

NJ is probably the bigger disaster for the Ds. Everyone know they ran a garbage candidate in VA. NJ is really out of left field, win or lose.

I want him to be moderate.  All the I’ve got a mandate shit we hear so often from candidates who win barely more than half is horseshit.

sonebody has to stop the partisan shit and govern in the best interest of the citizens. and not their fucking party.

More outsiders more outsiders !!

• Like 2

Kind of hard to fucking get anything done at the federal level with Manchin and Sinema there.  It is absolutely disgusting.

Yeah, and in that sense I think this result is more on Democrats’ failures/inaction than the GOP finding some silver bullet that resonates. There is a small fraction of voters who swing between parties and obviously Republican partisans would be motivated to get out and vote after Democrats took full control of the federal government (and the state government in VA in previous statewide votes); just like Democrats did after 2016. There are enough Democrats in VA to counter that but the motivation wasn’t there. That’s on Democrats.
  • Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Don't patronize me, asshole.  Go back to Daily Texan.

Patronize you? Hardly, you’re the one flipping me off, being rude. I’ve just responded with some sarcasm for the most part, but I find it interesting you have such a fascination and are so bought in to our sate  election.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Youngkin was CEO of the Carlyle Group.  He can do the moderate country club Republican thing just fine.  The MAGA part is probably when he’s acting.

This is my take. It’s a step away from Trumpism and that’s a wonderful thing for the gop and the country. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Julie Zauzmer Weil @juliezweil

Along with a huge team of @postlocal reporters, I spent the day at the polls in Virginia.

I was in western Prince William. Most people I met voted for Youngkin.

I just got home & I'm going through my notebook, so here's a thread of voters' quotes about why they picked Youngkin.

Julie Zauzmer Weil @juliezweil ·

1h A Latina mom who plans on sending her 4-year-old to private school to avoid public school education about race, which she believes motivates bullying: "Parents don’t really have a choice.... They are adding new things to history that children her age don’t really need to know."

Julie Zauzmer Weil @juliezweil · 1h A Black dad who's homeschooling two of his kids said his older son recently brought home an assignment on Abraham Lincoln that troubled him, though he couldn't say why. "I'd like to not vote for the guy who said it's not the parents' responsibility to take care of their kids."

1h One man supported Youngkin's anti-abortion stance, saying he once conceived a child with a woman who chose an abortion. "I don’t know what my first child would have looked like because of a woman's right to choose.... I want to be able to go to court & say 'I want that baby.'"

1h Another voter said he opposes mask and vaccine requirements. "I'm forced to vote Republican, grudgingly. I don’t even like this guy," he said, saying he supports abortion rights and finds Youngkin "self-righteous." But: "I'm tired of the mandates."

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That’s some first class empty BS rhetoric right there Pen ol girl .

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1