Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

31 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Decisions Decisions

• Wells was making $3.6 Million per year.... 
    • Only 49 schools are paying higher salaries. 
    • The majority of the schools on the upper end of the salary scale won't be making a coaching change.,
  • Traylor is currently making only $800 K right now.
    • The highest C-USA salary is sitting at $2M...that's probably the celling that UTSA could go to try and keep him.
  • Traylor is on a trajectory to be the hot coach either this year or next. 

If he was in it just for the money, a $3.6 M offer right now from Tech would be hard to turn down. Could he get $4M or $4.5M at the end of the year? Probably a very small chance based on his limited FBS HC time, but the chance of that goes way up next year. 

I would like to see UTSA give him $3 and keep him for the next 5 years.

Leach proved its' possible to win at TTU.  Therefore, Traylor has a chance to make TTU the premier Texas program in the BIG XII with Texas and OU leaving. With the playoffs expanding he has a chance to build a comfy job that could get into the CFP from time to time.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Leach proved its' possible to win at TTU.  Therefore, Traylor has a chance to make TTU the premier Texas program in the BIG XII with Texas and OU leaving. With the playoffs expanding he has a chance to build a comfy job that could get into the CFP from time to time.

laughing-mike-tyson.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Actually, multiple coaches before Leach also proved it was possible to win at Tech.  

The issue is rather that Kliff, using his superior good looks, convinced everyone that it must be hard to win at Tech because he couldn't do it.

Edited by Dirk X West

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Jeff Traylor is a lock for Tech in my mind 

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Jeff Traylor is a lock for Tech in my mind 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Don't fucking take Traylor you syphilized rednecks. 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Traylor would be amazing. Recruiting alone. 

58 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think the only question is whether the first call is to Dykes or Traylor.  1 of those guys take that job.  People act like SMU is a "better job" but Dykes would almost certainly double his pay and SMU is getting further left behind with realignment.  

If I were Traylor I'd avoid that job. There will be better gigs out there. Tech is a shit hole place to work and to recruit to.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Wells seems more like a sine wave kind-a guy rather than an upward trajectory kind-a guy.  

USU Record:

9-5

10-4

6-7

3-9

6-7

10-2

Wells saved his job at usu in 2017 by agreeing to give up play calling and hiring David Yost. Then 6-7 then 10-2 then bolts. 

21 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Tech should go beg the Pirate to comeback to Lubbock.....   He's not going to win anything big in the SEC.,

• Like 1

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

True....    But with us and OU out of the picture, he can.   How many times did he come in third or forth place behind Texas, OU and Nebraska?   

Maybe, but I think they'd still find a way to Tech it up. Recruiting will never be easy and our leaving for the SEC doesn't change that. 

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yea...  We here at Surly want him on reserve in case Sark doesn't work out.   

Having a universally liked HC with TXHSFB roots building UTSA from an upstart to a G5 contender is a storyline I'd like to follow. He could be the Gary Patterson for UTSA without the perpetual pregnancy and sweat. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Eggo said:

Having a universally liked HC with TXHSFB roots building UTSA from an upstart to a G5 contender is a storyline I'd like to follow. He could be the Gary Patterson for UTSA without the perpetual pregnancy and sweat. 

Indeed.... It's remarkable for sure.

I'd like for him to stay UTSA and build on this season  as it might help his stock for in the worse case scenario, we are looking for a new coach again in a three or four years(or sooner) ...   That's perhaps a long shot.      

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tech aint a job to strike while hot.

What is a better job he should hold out for?    People keep saying this but I don't see examples.  Tech is not a harder place to win at than Baylor.  Historically at least.  

Dykes isn't going to Lubbock.  He's already tried his hand at a middling school in a P5 conference (Cal) and it didn't end well. He's a family man now and I know for a fact that his wife and kids are quite happy in Dallas (and that shit matters).  Lastly, SMU can afford to keep him around until a top tier P5 school comes calling, which is why I think he says put for now.

Traylor is the only name I've seen in this thread that makes any sense.  Maybe Cumbie (but I doubt it)

Edited by BTW
Facts

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What is a better job he should hold out for?    People keep saying this but I don't see examples.  Tech is not a harder place to win at than Baylor.  Historically at least.  

I know of one school that would hire him if their current coach took another position over there in College Station.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think Dykes and Traylor could easily turn down Tech

I think Traylor to TCU could happen, assuming a better mid-level P4/P5 doesn't go after him

Little Briles to Tech could very well happen

What about  "Graham Stanton Harrell"  ??  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Traylor is actually a good coach, so he can afford to be patient.

He is and he's also a great dude. He loves his players. There's no good timing for a HC to leave but I could honestly see him try to keep building UTSA if they can bump him a little bit.  He's not all about getting every last dollar

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What about  "Graham Stanton Harrell"  ??  

I'm sure he's on the list

I think Traylor is first, and if he passes on the job, then it's probably Kendal Briles, who I doubt would say no, so the next group probably isn't relevant 

Schools better than Tech that Traylor should wait for, especially if his UTSA trajectory continues:

Houston - For in city talent alone

Florida State - They'll be searching for a new coach in a year or two

Virginia Tech

TCU - if fatterson ever retires for similar reason to Houston

Wisconsin

2-3 Pac 12 schools

Florida - Mullen is wearing thin

Missouri - better conference

• immamac changed the title to Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach