Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I were Traylor I'd avoid that job. There will be better gigs out there. Tech is a shit hole place to work and to recruit to.

If Sonny goes to Tech, should Traylor consider the smu job ??

Tcu just seems like the perfect job for Traylor...  

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This name keeps popping up  

Lebby?  This won't end well if true. Meh, maybe it would, maybe he's matured. He got stuck as my golf partner back when I actually gave money to Baylor. Candidly admitted to me "I have no idea what the fuck we're doing, but we're putting up a LOT of fucking points, and that fixes a lot of problems."

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Schools better than Tech that Traylor should wait for, especially if his UTSA trajectory continues:

Houston - For in city talent alone

Florida State - They'll be searching for a new coach in a year or two

Virginia Tech

TCU - if fatterson ever retires for similar reason to Houston

Wisconsin

2-3 Pac 12 schools

Florida - Mullen is wearing thin

Missouri - better conference

Dana is making $4M a year Houston and they're 6-1.  He's going to be on that gravy train for as long as possible.

If FSU didn't fire Norvell after the JSU game, I see him getting 3 years.... Could line up for Traylor after next year.

TCU - Yes, but only if the Fat boy decides to retire.

Missouri - That could be a fit, but the current guy is only stinking up his 2nd year... After year 3, they will can him.

VT, Wisc, Pac-12- You start getting in to bad culture fits the farther you go out.

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If he goes to Tech, that doesn't mean that will be his last stop...

Could you imagine the absolute shit fit Tech fans would have if Sark doesn't work out CDC hires Traylor from Tech in three or four  years if he indeed goes to Tech? 

LMAO!  

You're laughing at the destination but ignoring the road that got us there. Fuck that. Sark is a 15 year coach here. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Traylor is smart, he goes to a bigger school asap, starts winning there, and then Texas can feel comfortable offering him the reins after the 2024 season and it's fourth straight 7-6 season. 

Agree. Texas fans should want Traylor to take the Tech job now instead of waiting for a bigger school to offer. If he can get things going in Lubbock of all places then he is for real, and should be easy to poach if 7WS continues being 7WS.

• Hook 'Em 3

My guess is Traylor waits and grabs something else.

Dykes from LT would be interesting. Would not be shocked to see TT do something with a bigger emphasis on defense, just to reset a bit.

But it is Tech, so fuck em... Let the curse of Leech remain

Edited by Laxtonto

30 minutes ago, BTW said:

Dykes isn't going to Lubbock.  He's already tried his hand at a middling school in a P5 conference (Cal) and it didn't end well. He's a family man now and I know for a fact that his wife and kids are quite happy in Dallas (and that shit matters).  Lastly, SMU can afford to keep him around until a top tier P5 school comes calling, which is why I think he says put for now.

Traylor is the only name I've seen in this thread that makes any sense.  Maybe Cumbie (but I doubt it)

"Chris Beard will never leave Tech.  His family is very happy in Lubbock, and he has the 5th highest salary in the country already."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

They had a better conference record than CU that year. 

Yeah, you’re right. Just shows, to me, how screwed up this stupid conference was/is/will remain.

Anyway, getting back on topic- I think they should back up the brinks truck and go get Leach. That’s the last time the fan base was engaged. Hell, they should even handout tortillas at the gates to encourage the hilarity. Embrace their “tech-tardness”, get another horse to kill and while they’re at it, go find Gap Kid, bring him in to judge the goalpost shish kebabing of opposing fans in the stands.  

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Honest question - can someone explain the Traylor hype to me? I don't know his story but see that he's 53 years old and only HC experience is 2 years at UTSA. Sounds like he's a good recruiter especially in-state but not sure what else he's proven.

Tl;dr version: Decades in Texas HS coaching with multiple state championships. Beloved by high school coaches as a "one of us" figure and they want to send their kids to play for him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Honest question - can someone explain the Traylor hype to me? I don't know his story but see that he's 53 years old and only HC experience is 2 years at UTSA. Sounds like he's a good recruiter especially in-state but not sure what else he's proven.

Well...  He is the HC of a program that is 10 years old and took it over when it started going the route of Texas State, UNT, UTEP, etc. into a dark hole of mediocrity.     He has them in the Top 25 in his second year looking at possibly at an undefeated season and maybe a big bowl game if the chips fall right.    Those three named above have been in existence for decades and have poured millions into facility upgrades and still can't get their stuff right save for a season here an there.    You have to go back 40 years to when Texas State was SWT to see when they were considered a major player in Texas College football and that is when they were a D2 school in the soon to be extinct Lone Star Conference.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Kick-ass long time TX-HS coach who had to put in a few years as an assistance at FBS schools.  It was clear when he was here that it was only a matter of time before he was going to be running a program.   Nobody at the FBS level wants to higher a guy right out of high school, no matter how ready they look, so he put in his time and UTSA was the first to come calling.    

His Wikipedia page sums it up nicely:

Traylor then coached at Gilmer High School where he was named four-time Texas High School Coach of the Year for Class 4A, and posted a 175-26 record (.871 winning percentage). During his 15-year tenure, Traylor led the Buckeyes to five state championship game appearances, three state titles and 12 district crowns.

3 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Kick-ass long time TX-HS coach who had to put in a few years as an assistance at FBS schools.  It was clear when he was here that it was only a matter of time before he was going to be running a program.   Nobody at the FBS level wants to higher a guy right out of high school, no matter how ready they look, so he put in his time and UTSA was the first to come calling.    

His Wikipedia page sums it up nicely:

Are you stupid or something? 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I think Briles gets a strong look. If he doesn’t, he’s truly finished in major college football.

I don’t think Dykes would leave SMU at this point, not for Tech anyways. Traylor? Probably.

That's a no-go for this Tech fan and alum.

Strive for honor, ever more"   and Briles has zero to do with that.

20 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Traylor going to Tech would be perfect for us.  He would be at a place that is big enough for us to feel comfortable hiring him, but also a place he would leave to come to Texas.  It would be Chris Beard all over again.   I look forward to hearing about how he betrayed his physical covenant of loyalty to Tech in the 2023/2024 offseason.

Man they would be pissed, I’m in!

49 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Lebby?  This won't end well if true. Meh, maybe it would, maybe he's matured. He got stuck as my golf partner back when I actually gave money to Baylor. Candidly admitted to me "I have no idea what the fuck we're doing, but we're putting up a LOT of fucking points, and that fixes a lot of problems."

No idea about the Baylor days but from what I understand he runs that offense at Ole Miss.  Both from coaching sources and Herbstreit said as much on gameday.  Hybrid Kiffin and Briles components.  He was OC under Heupel as well (although I think Heupel is like Sark and maintains control both at UCF and Tenn).  Ole Miss is fun to watch (of course an elite QB helps).   But I assume Lebby, Briles Jr.  and Graham Harrel are several notches down Tech's list as they will want someone with HC experience. But those guys are probably first calls for UTSA or UNT jobs or similar if they open up you would think.

Edited by Skipper

38 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Has UTSA 7-0, nationally ranked. With the majority if not at least half of their starters from SA/South Texas. That’s damn impressive.

I for sure think Tech is an upgrade from SMU and could be close to TCU if not ahead. It’s still a big state school with a stadium they can pack when they do well. They have resources to dedicate if they want to win. They’re about to be in the easiest P5 conference  once UT and OU leave. They have a decent alumni base that wants to see them win at football. 

Lubbock is no more of a shithole than Stillwater or tougher to recruit to than Ames, IA. KK and then Wells were terrible hires. If the admin makes a smart hire and then gives him rope and resources Tech could be a decent team in the new Big XII.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Almost none of whom he recruited, but undefeated at nUTSAck is damned impressive.

With wins over Memphis and a big win over a LaTech team that almost beat SMU (although it looks like they've maybe taken a step back at this point). 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

This name keeps popping up  

Fuck that motherfucker.  Was too good to play at Tech as a player and is married to Briles' crazy ass daughter.  yes that one.

Fuck all of that noise.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Fuck that motherfucker.  Was too good to play at Tech as a player and is married to Briles' crazy ass daughter.  yes that one.

Fuck all of that noise.

https://fansided.com/2021/10/25/texas-tech-football-coach-candidates-matt-wells-replacements/

5 candidates Texas Tech should consider to replace Matt Wells

5. USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell

Texas Tech has the opportunity to truly return to its Air Raid roots by bringing a quarterback who flourished under Mike Leach’s tutelage. Things have been bumpy for Harrell as the USC Trojans never really saw much consistent success with his offense, but maybe things could be better for him if he were running things in Lubbock.

4. SLORCH favorite 😋 -- Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby

The Ole Miss Rebels offense has been remarkable all season long with Jeff Lebby designing things. Lebby, a McGregor, Texas native, previously helped shape the offense at UCF and has been able to translate that sort of offensive success to the SEC. His schemes should be able to work in Lubbock as well.

3. UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor

The UTSA Roadrunners are having an incredibly special season and head coach Jeff Traylor should receive a ton of praise for the way he has them off to an 8-0 start. This group should be able to win the Conference USA championship and that should get Traylor some nice job offers.

2. Arkansas offensive coordinator Kendal Briles

While a few Texas Tech fans might want his father, Kendal Briles has less baggage and has become a proven offensive coordinator. He’s a bright mind and has been able to help the Arkansas Razorbacks get off to a decent start this year. His experience coaching in a couple of different conferences should be desirable, even if his experience at Baylor will bring up plenty of criticism and frustration.

1. SMU head coach Sonny Dykes

As the son of a former Texas Tech head coach and the architect of a thrilling Air Raid-inspired offense that has the SMU Mustangs as one of the most enjoyable teams to watch right now, is there a better fit for the Red Raiders than Sonny Dykes? He’s familiar with the Lone Star state, has been able to successfully court transfer players into his current program and has seen plenty of success in the process. Dykes might just be the best available candidate, assuming Texas Tech can actually get him to leave the impressive program he’s building at SMU.

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach