Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So if Tech scored two more points against KSU, you think he'd still have his job?

I would have thought so before that game happened. I never expected they would fire him mid season, but it sounds like one or more of the big money guys were already pushing to get rid of him and the KSU choke job was the final straw for them.  I'm sure Kirby Hocutt would have liked to have given him the last four games to win another one, as unlikely as that would've been. Wells was 100% his guy, so this is a big black mark on Hocutt's resume.

23 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The Double Eagle guys and Womble were even publicly named as steering the search committee for the new coach, right?   I mean, it doesn’t seem like they’re hiding this is donor driven. Hocutt brought in Wells over their objections (I think one of the Double Eagle guys even bitched about him on their message boards), and now those chickens have come home to roost.   Hocutt was probably told do this or else you’re next.

Yeah, but donors wanted Red bull boy Holgorson.

They were wrong too.  That's the Cody Campbell faction.

Color me unimpressed. money doesn't buy you judgment.

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Alonzo Mourning gif....

At some point this program needs to truly commit to a rebuild. Word needs to come down from on high that we are in a rebuild, that we are not back, and we are gonna give some coach a full FIVE YEARS to get it down just like it says in the contract. Okie State did that with Gundy and it looks like Clemson did it with Dabo. Right now we are on a trail blazed by Nebraska, Miami and Tennessee, USC, and now it looks like Florida State, which is bad, very bad.

It doesn't invariably lead to perpetual mediocrity and there is every reason to believe that with our resources and local talent we can and will right the ship at some point, but it will not happen until we become a program again. We are not a program right now. We are a team. A program has eras. We have seasons. A program redshirts blue-chips, a program reloads, a program doesn't give a shit about players going early to the draft. We haven't been doing that for the past 15 years. 

Which of the last 2 dumbfuck would you like to have kept for their contract?   Charlie could recruit better than he could win, fuckface could win better than he could recruit.  And neither were actually good at their forte.

if you combined the two and had Charlie recruiting with Tom’s record there’s something to sell and he could have spent 5 years here and left the program better off for his replacement.  Likewise, in Toms recruiting hadn’t fallen off a cliff and he went 8-5 again he would probably finish out his contract and left the program better off for his replacement.  

Charlie losing was just going to lead to worse recruiting, and fuckfaces train wreck in recruiting was going to lead to more losises, so pulling the rip cord in both cases was the right decision.   Not hiring either would have been even better but that’s a dead horse.    

• Hook 'Em 3

I mean I don't doubt that is what SMU folks are telling each other but zero chance that is true.   I was surprised the Big 12 pushed Houston through (over what I'm sure were hesitancies from Tech, Baylor and TCU) but the Big 12 needed a Houston presence to avoid that area becoming 100% SEC focused and Metroplex presence already covered via TCU (and Tech/Baylor grads).  SMU just unlucky to some extent as I think they probably have more potential than UH pre-realignment.  

I haven’t heard any SMU fan say anything close to this and it’s definitely not true. Had we had a Big 12 invite we would have taken it without thinking twice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

How does 5 years for Tom sound?  He’d still be coach right now.  That sound good to you?  Charlie was awful.  We didn’t need to watch 5 years of that shit to know he wasn’t going to work.

6 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Which of the last 2 dumbfuck would you like to have kept for their contract?   Charlie could recruit better than he could win, fuckface could win better than he could recruit.  And neither were actually good at their forte.

if you combined the two and had Charlie recruiting with Tom’s record there’s something to sell and he could have spent 5 years here and left the program better off for his replacement.  Likewise, in Toms recruiting hadn’t fallen off a cliff and he went 8-5 again he would probably finish out his contract and left the program better off for his replacement.  

Charlie losing was just going to lead to worse recruiting, and fuckfaces train wreck in recruiting was going to lead to more losises, so pulling the rip cord in both cases was the right decision.   Not hiring either would have been even better but that’s a dead horse.    

I am not stumping for either of those guys. I am saying at some point we are going to have to bite the bullet and commit to a process like that or we will be stuck in second gear forever. Sark seems as good a choice as any, right now.  Maybe not for all time, but I do believe he can at least get us back on the right track.... But we need to commit to at least four years and ideally five. 

8 hours ago, Treefidy said:

The difference in between the two was a QB. Charlie lost a lot of games because of horrendous QB play. He also won a lot of games elsewhere due to great QB play. Good QB play can make a mediocre coach look good. Tom Herman was the recipient of that twice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I must have missed that part

59 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

KC Keeler is one of the most successful coaches around at any level. I don't know if he could go SHSU to Tech but he would have to be considered for any job he was interested in if he was so inclined 

Name checks out

I could totally see it being tape fingers with daddy as an "analyst" on staff. 

Literally zero chance. How hard is out to understand how much MOST of the Texas Tech supporters hated those bastards. People are hearing that one or two influential boosters thinks that hiring a complete scumbag wouldn’t be a disaster and somehow think every big time booster wants him. The truth is that virtually none of them do.

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Word is our man baby idiot BMD Cody Campbell is pushing hard for Briles. If that happens I am 100% done supporting Tech football, forever.

here's the thing.... briles = controversy = hate = eyeballs

after cincy making the playoff and actually winning a semi, much less a title....

the 2nd biggest thing the post-texas/thief rig12 could do to create headlines would be hire controversial coaches

8 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

KC Keeler is one of the most successful coaches around at any level. I don't know if he could go SHSU to Tech but he would have to be considered for any job he was interested in if he was so inclined 

Isn't he really just one of the most successful coaches at the FCS level?

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Word is our man baby idiot BMD Cody Campbell is pushing hard for Briles. If that happens I am 100% done supporting Tech football, forever.

This.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

How does Hocutt still have his job? He hire Billy Gillespie, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Wells and couldn't hold onto Chris Beard. Tech really gonna let him keep running the show?

He didn't lose Beard because of any fault of Hocutt.  Kingsbury wasn't a bad hire, just wasn't the right guy, if that makes sense.

programs with a lot more resources than Tech whiff all the time.

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

How does Hocutt still have his job? He hire Billy Gillespie, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Wells and couldn't hold onto Chris Beard. Tech really gonna let him keep running the show?

Because he has done very well/made the correct moves for like, literally every other sport. It's not like Tech football has ever really done anything anyway. The Chris Beard situation was effectively entirely out of his control, he did everything he reasonably could have.

The search committee he put together for this football hire is pretty good other than Cody Campbell's stupid ass. Unfortunately, he is also our wealthiest donor (I think).

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

here's the thing.... briles = controversy = hate = eyeballs

after cincy making the playoff and actually winning a semi, much less a title....

the 2nd biggest thing the post-texas/thief rig12 could do to create headlines would be hire controversial coaches

The problem with Briles is mainly focused around re-alignment. If another major shakeup beyond Texas/OU happens in the future, Briles is literally the worst poison possible. It's already shaky ground as it is, but no conference would touch us with a 10-foot pole in that case.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I could totally see it being tape fingers with daddy as an "analyst" on staff. 

Or, just as bad, Jeff Lebby, which some of our fans seem to think is a good idea. I grew up/played football with Jeff and am aware of his involvement in the Baylor situation better than most. The fact that he and Kendal are still coaching while daddy is a pariah is pretty funny.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They have a lot more judgement than you in just about every facet of life. 

LO fucking L. They hit the lottery in the oil field. nothing more nothing less.

I know enough to know that their guy would have been a big nothing burger for the football program.  Maybe they’ll hit this time, but if Briles is their dude, you can just stop now.

Edited by slorch

Assuming Traylor wants the job? It's not that Tech would be a bad move for him at all, but if he is looking at the landscape for later in the season there may be more attractive options out there for him should he wait a bit. Either way, I would be very surprised if they announced this move mid season so no need to rush into a decision. 

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah I’ve never understood this. That whole family is poison. 

I won’t defend every decision he makes, but the guy is extremely bright, and not the buffoon you make him out to be.   His partner has the same net worth he does, but Cody is the more vocal of the two. There are 2 Midland guys with net worths almost the level of those guys. They are very involved in Tech athletics as well. 

He isn't a buffoon, but he reverts to this incredibly selfish and childish attitude when it comes to Tech football which might be surprising to you if you haven't read his ridiculous takes over and over on RRS.com over the past few years like I have.

When Kirby refused to hire Holgersen, he threw a fit on that board that lasted like two whole ass years that would have put my neighbor's 4 year old to shame. Not only that, after being rightly mocked for his juvenile attitude and playground bully antics, he even went so far as to get some of his friends to post on the site that we needed to be nice to him or else he might pull his support from Tech. It was quite literally the most childish thing I've seen in decades. I lost every ounce of respect I had for him after that.

For some reason, some people are just entirely unable to divorce his considerable business acumen from the childish attitude he exhibits elsewhere, which is part of where my frustration comes from.

This is why I do not want him involved in any way beyond showing his support, but because he has fuck you money, he gets or at least thinks he should get his way all the time.

Edit: I have considerable experience with this type of personality flaw, my grandfather was a very successful Texas attorney, but exhibited incredibly selfish and childish behavior in aspects of his personal life, it's nothing I haven't seen before. Probably a big part of why it bothers me so much.

Edited by Brian Fantana

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I understand. But frankly, guys writing checks should have say. He was embarrassed by KH and lashed out. He’s not used to being told no, and guys like that absolutely will pull their support if they’re ignored and embarrassed. And they should.

And, Holgo would’ve been considerably better than Wells. 

If you would have told Holgo that those wells out there are pumping red bull out of the ground this whole thing could have been avoided. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I understand. But frankly, guys writing checks should have say. He was embarrassed by KH and lashed out. He’s not used to being told no, and guys like that absolutely will pull their support if they’re ignored and embarrassed. And they should.

And, Holgo would’ve been considerably better than Wells. 

Holgo is literally one of the few coaches Wells has literally owned every single time they have met. Big fucking doubt on that one, homey.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Charlie needed to be gone after 2 years. Tech did the right thing with Wells. They are cruising for a 5-7 season. They have seen enough. 

But you are talking to an idiot who still believes Charlie Strong was treated unfairly. I’m so embarrassed we ever hired that guy, and gave morons like this guy a platform to make excuse after excuse for the guy. 

Herman, a more unlikable guy to be sure, could coach circles around Charlie. The two are in no way comparable. 

Hell, it could be argued that Charlie shouldn't have been hired when he interviewed and thought that bringing Shawn Watson was a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah I’ve never understood this. That whole family is poison. 

I won’t defend every decision he makes, but the guy is extremely bright, and not the buffoon you make him out to be.   His partner has the same net worth he does, but Cody is the more vocal of the two. There are 2 Midland guys with net worths almost the level of those guys. They are very involved in Tech athletics as well. 

Arrington?