Invasion

CooterBrown

I was wondering if anyone was watching this.  I watched the first episode and I'm still not sure if it's worth continuing.  I like alien invasion flicks, but I'd really rather just have them drop in and let the fighting begin.  I did kind of like the Japanese astronaut chick, but she didn't last very long.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was wondering if anyone was watching this.  I watched the first episode and I'm still not sure if it's worth continuing.  I like alien invasion flicks, but I'd really rather just have them drop in and let the fighting begin.  I did kind of like the Japanese astronaut chick, but she didn't last very long.

I really wanna see the husband get wrecked by some aliens.  What a fucking piece of shit that dude is. 

The only other things on Apple+ that I've watched besides the one episode of Invasion is Hank's movie Greyhound, and the series For All Mankind and The Morning Show.  As far as I'm concerned they are a big hit artistically.  Technically, their platform sucks donkey balls as they seem to not be able to get it to work properly with Roku.  However, knowing Apple, that may be a feature and not a bug.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The only other things on Apple+ that I've watched besides the one episode of Invasion is Hank's movie Greyhound, and the series For All Mankind and The Morning Show.  As far as I'm concerned they are a big hit artistically.  Technically, their platform sucks donkey balls as they seem to not be able to get it to work properly with Roku.  However, knowing Apple, that may be a feature and not a bug.

No Ted Lasso? 

Edited by Js1

The show would be better without the family. They’re all terrible actors.

I hate them. I can’t stand either one of the mom and dad characters.

I might hate the show, I’m not sure. I’m only still watching because I’ve watched everything else out there and I’m hoping to eventually get an alien battle.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I hate them. I can’t stand either one of the mom and dad characters.

I might hate the show, I’m not sure. I’m only still watching because I’ve watched everything else out there and I’m hoping to eventually get an alien battle.

This, I still don’t know if I hate it yet or not 

Had high hopes for this. it's terrible. It's like Titanic... A major historical event serves as the backdrop for cheesy, shitty love stories and personal problems. I don't care, not at all. I have no empathy for those people in any way, shape, or form. Get to the killing of humanity. Michael Bay would also be proud, Pearl Harbor was only the backdrop for romance.

The only good 45 seconds is when the alien ship messed with the Afghanistan patrol. Someone post on here when there's actually is something to watch.

I went over and started Squid Game which is kind of over the top K-pop overacting but it's got a solid plot and lots of things of interest.

I mean this thing, this thing is a hot mess.

Edited by phdhorn

It’s a tough balance in alien invasion epics between showing the aliens and creating tension and anticipation. The last ep had a very “Signs” feel to it. I’m a sucker for these stories, although I love the world building a destruction of humanity stuff. The ensemble cast is a way to show multiple perspectives but they should have had someone in a mid or higher level of govt that they are following too, to give some insight into what is known or not known by the govt and what our response looks like.

I just hope they don’t cop out at the end and say “oh sorry it wasn’t actually aliens it was a Russian bio weapon experiment in space that got loose!”

It was the first episode when anything really happened but also nothing really happened. I was actively rooting for the aliens to eat them. And it was so dark that half the time I couldn’t tell what was going on.

What did she stab the alien with? Dragonglass? That was convenient.

Stolen from Reddit:

It’s like the characters were competing for who could be the dumbest, and who could make the worst possible decisions. Things that stood out to me:

• ⁠Walking past all the dead soldiers and not bothering to take any of their equipment or supplies.
• ⁠Picking up a handgun without any extra magazines, or even checking to see if it was loaded. Despite the fact that an entire group of armed soldiers were clearly slaughtered, and there are no signs of dead aliens, so guns probably aren’t that effective anyways.
• ⁠Trying to drive the humvee for 2 seconds, then giving up the instant it didn’t work.
• ⁠Dropping the gun on the floor and running away in fear.
• ⁠Once you get in the attic, not shutting the fuck up when you know there is something in the house, and everyone is telling you to be quiet.
• ⁠Lady in the attic getting totally worked up about Revelations as another hint at the fact that the family is Muslim, though this has basically nothing to do with it.
• ⁠Guy in the attic threatening them to stay quiet or he’s going to shoot them. Because shotguns are quiet.
• ⁠Lady in the attic falls through the super obvious hole in the floor. If you were in an attic with a narrow walkway and a murderous alien creature down below, I’m pretty sure you’d be hyper aware to not fall through the damn ceiling.
• ⁠Ahmed taking the time to quietly move all the furniture away from the door, instead of escaping through a window or somewhere else much less risky.
• ⁠Getting into the car and immediately getting it stuck.
• ⁠Frantically flooring the gas pedal, spinning the rear tires, when there are clearly marked 4WD buttons right next to the shifter.
• ⁠Making a ton of noise trying to move the car, then inexplicably deciding to just stay still and wait to be killed I guess.
• ⁠Firing a gun several times in an enclosed space and not reacting to the super loud fucking noise that would practically make you deaf.
• ⁠Super fast alien takes forever to get into the car and bides it’s time while getting shot in the face.
• ⁠Special metal object happens to be right there. She gets right in the aliens face and stabs it to death. It only takes 3-4 stabs, probably at most 1-2 inches deep, before it succumbs.
• ⁠Car is almost immediately freed once the alien is dead. She still didn’t use the 4WD.
• ⁠Dad is alive, but says absolutely nothing. Not even “Are you ok?” to his scared kids. Then again he is a total shit. I was happy when he died, but then they pulled a switcheroo.

• Hook 'Em 2

The dragon glass is what her kid found in the first episode. They had it all along.

Most of those things were legit complaints. But all of these apocalypse shows seem to center around stupid people being lucky, getting others killed and feeling no remorse, with moments of genius which is completely out of character.

The idea that an alien is immune to bullets is silly. Projectiles impart kinetic energy, thus they have to disperse it even if their tissue is strong enough to protect against it, they will still react. It makes no sense to have armor inside your mouth, but let’s just pretend that isn’t stupid and that these creatures ate unobtanium on their home planet.

In order for the dragon glass to work, it would have to be extremely sharp or have some chemical property to pierce the skin (spark plug hitting glass) to be effective and kill the creature. We saw it was not sharp. Now, why would you, and alien, bring along the instrument of your own doom? Ok, so you fucked up, now wouldn’t you focus every effort on its recovery?

Now if you were an alien, hitting communication centers seems logical. Hitting space programs and military bases seems logical. Hitting bum fuck towns and cabins in the woods seems like something you would save for later when you are trying to kill billions of people.

Now maybe this is just the first wave, and what we are seeing here is basically the dogs getting released, and the hunters will follow. Which sort of makes sense as the alien creature we saw seems kind of stupid.

Will keep watching until they get to the farm/prison seasons.

I binged the available episodes this week and I kind of like it so far. I like the sudden chaos and emptiness that has been imparted on Earth, reminiscent of 28 Days Later. Stories with that setting interest me.

I like Casper and Jamila. Also like Mitsuki although her story isn’t directly in contact with the aliens so far. Not a huge fan of the family but that’s mostly due to the dad being a huge pussy. Was happy when I thought he was dead but I’m sure he’s around for the long haul.

The house scene reminded me of the velociraptor scene from Jurassic Park but now I see the Signs comparison. The characters did some stupid shit in that episode but I can accept a lot of that as people under extreme distress and terror, plus probable sleep deprivation.

I have a similar confusion about the “dragon glass”. It appears with the aliens and it’s useful for killing the aliens. Why would they bring that with them? Hopefully they explain that later.

I’m ok with the brief glimpses of individual aliens during the build-up, but I hope we get some scenes with the full scale invasion before the season ends.

I’m pretty sure the invasion has come and gone. I think they are trying for a different angle than Independence Day or even War of the Worlds, where you don’t get to see the actual invasion. And it doesn’t seem like they showed up in warships or whatever.

It’s getting more interesting but I don’t think I’d recommend anyone suffer through the early episodes.

• 2 weeks later...
I binged the available episodes this week and I kind of like it so far. I like the sudden chaos and emptiness that has been imparted on Earth, reminiscent of 28 Days Later. Stories with that setting interest me.

I like Casper and Jamila. Also like Mitsuki although her story isn’t directly in contact with the aliens so far. Not a huge fan of the family but that’s mostly due to the dad being a huge pussy. Was happy when I thought he was dead but I’m sure he’s around for the long haul.

The house scene reminded me of the velociraptor scene from Jurassic Park but now I see the Signs comparison. The characters did some stupid shit in that episode but I can accept a lot of that as people under extreme distress and terror, plus probable sleep deprivation.

I have a similar confusion about the “dragon glass”. It appears with the aliens and it’s useful for killing the aliens. Why would they bring that with them? Hopefully they explain that later.

I’m ok with the brief glimpses of individual aliens during the build-up, but I hope we get some scenes with the full scale invasion before the season ends.

I think it is just some alien metal that they make their ships/equipment from and that it broke apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to like it but it kinda sucked. Didn’t care for any of the characters which is the quickest way for me to lose interest in a show.

By comparison, I watched The Expanse season 6 premiere tonight, and although I think the plot is a bit ridiculous at times, I like the show primarily because they created good characters.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, RamjetFDO said:

I really wanted to like it... but yeah. No.

I literally lol'd at the Leia Poppins scene.

It was a hate watch to the end. Hoping beyond hope for the show's redemption.

Just finished and am curious about this.  Are you speaking of the dumbass part of the plot with the Japanese astronaut?  Perhaps I missed something, but I thought the end result of that was that the aliens were trying to trick humans by speaking through the voice box of a dead, lesbian lover or something.  I'm still not sure what was going on there.  Relatedly, I think at least 2 entire hours of this series focused on Japanese lesbian moping all over Tokyo. 

The kids' subplot was kind of weird as well.  There's a bully, then he's not a bully, but he was tricking and really is a bully, then he's not a bully anymore. 

Soldier story was ok, but clunky.

Family plotline was a mess.  And was there ever an explanation as to why the captain (soldier) went rogue and had his redneck friends attack the personnel carrier?

I got to Episode 5 or so and though, "Wait.  What happened to Sam Neill?"  I didn't realize he was actually killed off at the end of Ep 1.  What was the point of that?

This could have been so much better with some thought. 

• 1 year later...

It doesn't.  It is amazing in its dedication to labor on a scene or story that isn't particularly interesting (and easily understood) only to then quickly Euron Greyjoy Warp Speed another item.  Not that I wanted to watch the soldier drive a truck for a few hours but I am starting to mirror the mom's only acting emotion. 

• Like 1

I watched the first and maybe second episode last year. It was as much described here: slow and boring for a concept (tried and true) that should provide at least middling interest.

Now I almost wish I'd kept watching to participate in the hate. When I saw this thread, I thought maybe the series had improved.

Thanks for waving me off.