Texas man charged with murder after shooting someone in a car outside his home. He told police it was self-defense

purplepride95

(CNN)A Texas man is facing a first-degree murder charge related to the fatal shooting of a man sitting in a parked car outside his home earlier this month in a case the victim's family believes could test the limits of the state's so-called stand your ground law.

The confrontation began in the early morning hours of October 11 in Martindale, a small town about 35 miles south of Austin.
Terry Duane Turner, 65, told police he woke up to use the bathroom and "discovered an unknown vehicle with its headlights off, to be parked inside of the driveway next to his pickup truck," according to an arrest affidavit obtained by CNN.
Terry Turner

Terry Turner
Turner said he returned to his bedroom to get his handgun and ran outside to find the headlights of the vehicle turned on, according to the affidavit. Turner told police that the car rapidly backed out of his driveway, he chased after it, and "struck the front driver's side door window twice with his handgun" and fired the gun, striking the driver, the affidavit said.

The victim was identified as Adil Dghoughi, 31, according to police.
Dghoughi's girlfriend, Sarah Todd, told CNN the couple was visiting her cousin in San Antonio prior to the shooting and Dghoughi left to drive back to her home in Maxwell. Todd believes Dghoughi got lost in Martindale and pulled over to look up directions when he was killed.
According to court documents, Turner told a 911 operator after the shooting that "I just killed a guy," adding that Dghoughi "started racing away and I ran after him. He pointed a gun at me, and I shot."
Investigators didn't find a gun in Dghoughi's possession, according to the affidavit.
Turner turned himself in Friday morning on the felony murder charge, according to Caldwell County's Criminal District Attorney Fred Weber. Turner was booked shortly before 10 a.m. and bonded out less than two hours later, according to online records from Caldwell County.

'This is only the beginning'

Dghoughi's family expressed frustration that it took nearly two weeks for Turner to be arrested and feared he would avoid charges by leaning on a Texas law commonly referred to as "stand your ground," which says a person can use force as a means of self-defense if they "reasonably believe the force is immediately necessary" to protect them against another's use or attempted use of force.
Turner's attorney, Larry Bloomquist, told CNN his client is cooperating with police and that he "was defending himself and his property" when he killed Dghoughi.
When asked how Dghoughi, who was sitting in a car, could pose a threat to Turner, Bloomquist said, "I'm not going to discuss specific facts of the case at this time."

Mehdi Cherkaoui, an attorney representing the Dghoughi family, told CNN he could think of "1,001 things" Turner could have done differently to avoid the fatal shooting.
Cherkaoui said circumstances of the case make it look "pretty clear" that a claim of self-defense doesn't apply in this case.
"I pray that when a grand jury hears this case, they will agree," he said.
Dghoughi was a Moroccan national who obtained a master's degree in financial analysis from Rhode Island's Johnson & Wales University, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Austin, which has been advocating on Dghoughi's behalf since his death.
The group staged a vigil outside the Texas State Capitol in Austin Saturday, hoping to "offer some solace to family members and friends" and bring attention to his story.
Adil Dghoughi is seen in a photo provided by his family.

Adil Dghoughi is seen in a photo provided by his family.
Dghoughi's family and friends said they welcome the news of Turner's arrest but are frustrated by how long it took for charges to be brought.
The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office defended its work in a statement Friday, saying, "Detectives have worked tirelessly on this case since the incident occurred on October 11th, 2021. Detectives have conducted multiple interviews and executed multiple search warrants in the course of this investigation."
Othmane Dghoughi, Adil Dghoughi's brother, told CNN he's "happy" about the arrest but not "100%" relieved. "We still need to see the evidence that will be presented to the Grand Jury," he said.
Todd, Dghoughi's girlfriend, echoed Othmane Dghoughi's sentiment, saying she's "glad" Turner has finally been arrested, but knows "this is only the beginning."
"We're going to continue to fight until there is justice for Adil," Todd said.

The last thing I'm going to do with a stranger's car in my driveway is chase it down the street and shoot into it. That's a have gun, looking for reason to use it mentality.

Should the dead guy have sat in that dude's driveway. No. But maybe he thought it was someone's home that he knew and that's why he was in the driveway. Maybe he needed to take a few minutes to get his bearing on where he is and where he needs to go. Yes it's his fault for creating the situation but the homeowner sure the fuck wasn't feeling threatened while chasing the car down the street and firing into it as is was speeding away.

Fuck this pussy motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

This sounds eerily similar to the case in Avery Ranch about 10 years ago where a homeowner shot and killed a Texas State student who'd been drinking wrecked his car on a rainy night & made the fatal mistake of walking by the wrong house. The nutjob homeowner shot him 3 times & killed him. His defense was he thought the kid was a burglar, which is why he shot him 3 times in the back as the kid tried to scale a neighborhood entry fence to get away. The owner got 20 years. He had a long history of threatening & scaring neighbors who dared walk on the sidewalk in front of his house.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

White guy in Texas shot a dirty muslim on his property?  A muslim....like all the terrorists?  On the white guy's property after dark?  He'll walk.  He'll be a Second Amendment hero speaking at rallies in no time.

Don't forget the part where the dirty Moose-lamb had a gun.  They couldn't find one, but he had one.  

Edited by Js1

Just now, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This sounds eerily similar to the case in Avery Ranch about 10 years ago where a homeowner shot and killed a Texas State student who'd been drinking wrecked his car on a rainy night & made the fatal mistake of walking by the wrong house. The nutjob homeowner shot him 3 times & killed him. His defense was he thought the kid was a burglar, which is why he shot him 3 times in the back as the kid tried to scale a neighborhood entry fence to get away. The owner got 20 years. He had a long history of threatening & scaring neighbors who dared walk on the sidewalk in front of his house.

have gun, looking for reason to use it

some people are just assholes. recently i'm close to changing that to MOST people are just assholes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

White guy in Texas shot a dirty muslim on his property?  A muslim....like all the terrorists?  On the white guy's property after dark?  He'll walk.  He'll be a Second Amendment hero speaking at rallies in no time.

Cloak Room bro 

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Should the dead guy have sat in that dude's driveway. No. But maybe he thought it was someone's home that he knew and that's why he was in the driveway. Maybe he needed to take a few minutes to get his bearing on where he is and where he needs to go. Yes it's his fault for creating the situation

And this....this is why he walks (the fact that the dead guy was a dirty mooslem terrorist is just what seals the deal).  Holy fucking shit.  It's the victim's fault for "creating the situation," and the thing he did that was SO wrong was.....to pull in and sit in a guy's driveway?  For fuck's sake, who among us hasn't been lost and had to turn off the road to get out of traffic to sort shit out?  Sometimes a business driveway, sometimes a home driveway, ALL of which are directly accessible from the public roadway (you aren't busting through a gate).

Jesus fucking Christ.  I knew this reply was coming, didn't think it would be this fast.  This society is so fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And this....this is why he walks (the fact that the dead guy was a dirty mooslem terrorist is just what seals the deal).  Holy fucking shit.  It's the victim's fault for "creating the situation," and the thing he did that was SO wrong was.....to pull in and sit in a guy's driveway?  For fuck's sake, who among us hasn't been lost and had to turn off the road to get out of traffic to sort shit out?  Sometimes a business driveway, sometimes a home driveway, ALL of which are directly accessible from the public roadway (you aren't busting through a gate).

Jesus fucking Christ.  I knew this reply was coming, didn't think it would be this fast.  This society is so fucked.

Get a grip.  This guy is not walking.  I will bet whatever stakes you want to lose.

• Hook 'Em 6

You guys are fucking race-baiting a-holes looking for a reason to spew.

Unless there is more to the story than is being reported, nobody is going to think he's within his rights, and he's not going to walk. 

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Get a grip.  This guy is not walking.  I will bet whatever stakes you want to lose.

Read the post I quoted.  We are literally minutes into this story, and you've already got a solid strain of "well, the victim bears responsibility"....it ain't very far to "maybe it wasn't the BEST thing to do, but I can't convict a man for defending his home, and the dead guy just shouldn'ta been there."  Get a slightly more reactionary Crash Davis on the jury, and this guy does not get convicted.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Read the post I quoted.  We are literally minutes into this story, and you've already got a solid strain of "well, the victim bears responsibility"....it ain't very far to "maybe it wasn't the BEST thing to do, but I can't convict a man for defending his home, and the dead guy just shouldn'ta been there."  Get a slightly more reactionary Crash Davis on the jury, and this guy does not get convicted.

Unless something nutty comes out, and I don't see it here as it seems like we are getting the freaking killer's version of events so the facts are probably even worse once forensics come in, this guy is going down.  He will be tried, convicted and spend the rest of his life in jail.  

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Anyway, about 10 seconds after I came out of the front door, the driver rolled down his window and shouted "sorry, wrong house, sorry to disturb you" and backed out of the drive way. No one got shot, no drama, no hysteria. Imagine that.

Well duh, after I saw that you were home, no way was I going to try to break in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I live in the boonies. My nearest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away as the crow flies. No streetlights, dark and quiet at night. A few years back, about midnight on a weekend, my dogs go apeshit. I look out the front door and there is a pick up that I have never seen before in my driveway. I turn on the porch light and the lights on the covered parking and walk out on the front porch, and wave, thinking some dipshit is lost and pulled into the wrong drive way.

It never crossed my mind to get a gun, or call the cops, or act confrontational.

I can't imagine living with the mindset that an unknown car in my drive way automatically means somebody wants to do me harm.

Anyway, about 10 seconds after I came out of the front door, the driver rolled down his window and shouted "sorry, wrong house, sorry to disturb you" and backed out of the drive way. No one got shot, no drama, no hysteria. Imagine that.

You sound like a pussy communist.

And hell, I had an encounter that actually was a bit more dangerous than that.  Maybe 10 years ago, driving through the Feather River canyon on CA 70 (I think that was it) -- backass, small highway, not well traveled.  The kids were young, and wanted to pan for gold.  I looked up a place, called the guy to set it up, and I was looking for my stop.  No cell reception, so I was sort of winging the "address."  There was a good size dirt drive, I thought that was it.  I pulled in.....and as I drove in, I was in a complex of trailers and such, with a lot of heavy equipment.  I saw movement behind windows and other structures, and realized that I'd driven into a serious gold mining operation of some serious "off the grid, fuck the government" types.

Realized that if I drove on to the property, and just wheeled around, I had a real good chance of getting the car with my family in it shot up.  Which is super fucked up, but there we are.  So, instead, I played it full Clark Griswold.  Pulled into the middle of the open "parking" area, stopped, got out (in my dad wear -- cargo shorts and t-shirt and shit), and looked SUPER confused.  Told the family to stay in the car and not fucking move.  Looked around, visibly shrugged my shoulders, and walked over to one of the trailers where I saw movement.  As I got closer, a guy comes out with a pretty firm "can I help you?"  "Yeah.....I was taking my kids to [place with the gold panning] because they wanted to do some gold panning, and man, I have NO idea where I am.  Is this [address]?"  "No, it's not, this is a private mining operation."  "Oh, yeah, I can see that.  Man, it's hard to figure out where you are around here, and my phone doesn't have signal.  Do you have a phone I could use?"  About that time, his wife came out, scoped out what was going on, and invited me in to use their phone.  I called the place, figured out I turned off a couple miles early, thanked the couple so much for their time, walked casually back to the car and drove out of there with a "fly casual" pace.  And I could damned well see other people watching me.  And I know damned well that some of them were armed.

That was a fucked up situation.  My wife still doesn't understand how much danger we were in....because I took a wrong turn.

There are a lot of people who think like the people I encountered on the Feather River, ESPECIALLY in rural areas.  The victim was in the wrong here, he shouldn'ta been there.  The shooter walks.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

You guys are fucking race-baiting a-holes looking for a reason to spew.

Unless there is more to the story than is being reported, nobody is going to think he's within his rights, and he's not going to walk. 

Someone posted this story in the San Marcos Local News facebook group, and I could not believe the number of 2A people defending this guy's right to shoot anyone who came on his property.  "HE WAS TRESPASSING!!!"

(Actually, I could believe it, but I just didn't want to.)

So I have interacted with a lot of people who thought he was within his rights who are potentially in his jury pool, and yes, he's going to walk.

Edited by Beau Vine

42 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I live in the boonies. My nearest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away as the crow flies. No streetlights, dark and quiet at night. A few years back, about midnight on a weekend, my dogs go apeshit. I look out the front door and there is a pick up that I have never seen before in my driveway. I turn on the porch light and the lights on the covered parking and walk out on the front porch, and wave, thinking some dipshit is lost and pulled into the wrong drive way.

It never crossed my mind to get a gun, or call the cops, or act confrontational.

I can't imagine living with the mindset that an unknown car in my drive way automatically means somebody wants to do me harm.

You just got lucky.  Odds were not in your favor.  Much more likely he was there to kill you and rape your women.

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You sound like a pussy communist.

And hell, I had an encounter that actually was a bit more dangerous than that.  Maybe 10 years ago, driving through the Feather River canyon on CA 70 (I think that was it) -- backass, small highway, not well traveled.  The kids were young, and wanted to pan for gold.  I looked up a place, called the guy to set it up, and I was looking for my stop.  No cell reception, so I was sort of winging the "address."  There was a good size dirt drive, I thought that was it.  I pulled in.....and as I drove in, I was in a complex of trailers and such, with a lot of heavy equipment.  I saw movement behind windows and other structures, and realized that I'd driven into a serious gold mining operation of some serious "off the grid, fuck the government" types.

Realized that if I drove on to the property, and just wheeled around, I had a real good chance of getting the car with my family in it shot up.  Which is super fucked up, but there we are.  So, instead, I played it full Clark Griswold.  Pulled into the middle of the open "parking" area, stopped, got out (in my dad wear -- cargo shorts and t-shirt and shit), and looked SUPER confused.  Told the family to stay in the car and not fucking move.  Looked around, visibly shrugged my shoulders, and walked over to one of the trailers where I saw movement.  As I got closer, a guy comes out with a pretty firm "can I help you?"  "Yeah.....I was taking my kids to [place with the gold panning] because they wanted to do some gold panning, and man, I have NO idea where I am.  Is this [address]?"  "No, it's not, this is a private mining operation."  "Oh, yeah, I can see that.  Man, it's hard to figure out where you are around here, and my phone doesn't have signal.  Do you have a phone I could use?"  About that time, his wife came out, scoped out what was going on, and invited me in to use their phone.  I called the place, figured out I turned off a couple miles early, thanked the couple so much for their time, walked casually back to the car and drove out of there with a "fly casual" pace.  And I could damned well see other people watching me.  And I know damned well that some of them were armed.

That was a fucked up situation.  My wife still doesn't understand how much danger we were in....because I took a wrong turn.

There are a lot of people who think like the people I encountered on the Feather River, ESPECIALLY in rural areas.  The victim was in the wrong here, he shouldn'ta been there.  The shooter walks.

3633049_so.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Hey man, it took em months to arrest the racists that murdered Ahmaud Arbery in broad daylight. This is progress, I guess lol

Despite being caught on video and gloating about it on FB, Eliazar Cisneros, a member of the "Trump Train" that sideswiped the Biden-Harris bus entourage on I-35 in neighboring Hays county STILL hasn't been arrested. 

https://www.courthousenews.com/lawsuits-filed-against-pro-trump-convoy-that-surrounded-biden-harris-campaign-bus/

• Rage+1 2

has anyone pointed out that maybe if the driver was armed this could have all been avoided? 

lulz.

there has to be more to this story. just fucking firing a gun first with nothing else to go on is even too much for batshit crazy old texans

Edited by staboner

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The shooter will make a ton of dough on the gofundme that will be set up shortly for his "legal defense". 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Are you really that sure?
https://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5278638&page=1

A Texas man who shot and killed two men he believed to be burglarizing his neighbor's home won't be going to trial. A grand jury today failed to indict Joe Horn, a 61-year-old computer technician who lives in an affluent subdivision in Pasadena, Texas.

In the Lone Star state, where the six-gun tamed the frontier, shooting bad guys is a time-honored tradition, and Horn's case centered on a Texas state law based on the old idea that "a man's home is his castle." The "castle law" gives Texans unprecedented legal authority to use deadly force in their homes, vehicles and workplaces. And no longer do they have an obligation to retreat, if possible, before they shoot.

I understand the concerns of some in the community regarding Mr. Horn's conduct," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson told reporters at the courthouse. "The use of deadly force is carefully limited in Texas law to certain circumstances. ... In this case, however, the grand jury concluded that Mr. Horn use of deadly force did not rise to a criminal offense."

'I'm Gonna Shoot!'Horn called 911 in November to report a burglary in broad daylight at the house next door.

"I've got a shotgun; you want me to stop him?" Horn asked the dispatcher.

"Nope. Don't do that," the dispatcher replied. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, OK?"

Horn was clearly upset by the dispatcher's response.

"I'm not gonna let them get away with it," he said. "I can't take a chance getting killed over this, OK."

Despite the dispatcher's protects, Horn said, "I'm gonna shoot! I'm gonna shoot!"

The 911 dispatcher warned Horn to stay inside at least a dozen separate times, telling him, "An officer is coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house."

Then Horn sounding angrier by the moment cited the new Texas law.

"OK, but I have a right to protect myself too, sir," he said. "And you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the first, and you know it and I know it."

Moments later, Horn saw two burglars leave his neighbor's house, one of them carrying a bag filled with cash and jewelry.

"I'm gonna kill him," Horn said."Stay in the house," the dispatcher said."They're getting away," Horn replied."That's all right," the dispatcher said. "Property's not worth killing someone over. OK?""---damn it," said Horn, who then defied the dispatcher.

"Well, here it goes, buddy, you hear the shotgun clicking, and I'm going," he said.

"Don't go outside," the dispatcher warned.

Self-Defense?Horn says he came out his front door, down his porch and confronted the two burglars. The next sounds heard on the 911 tape are Horn ordering the two men to stop & and then shooting them both.

"Move you're dead," he said, and fired his shotgun three times.

"Both suspects were shot in the back," Pasadena Police Captain A.H. "Bud" Corbett said. "Not at the same angle, but both suspects were hit in the back."

Horn fatally shot the burglars, two illegal immigrants from Colombia named Diego Ortiz and Miguel de Jesus. Stephanie Storey, De Jesus' fiancée, wanted to see Joe Horn prosecuted.

"This man took the law into his own hands," she said. "He shot two individuals in the back after having been told over and over to stay inside. It was his choice to go outside and his choice to take two lives."

Horn turned down an ABC News request for an interview but his attorney Tom Lambright insists Horn was entirely justified.

"He was afraid for his life," Lambright said. "He was afraid for his safety, and then they charged him. I don't think Joe had time to make a conscious decision. I think he only had time to react to what was going on. Short answer is, he was defending his life. "

Lambright acknowledged that the 911 dispatcher urged Horn to stay inside but said, "Joe was doing what he thought was necessary. As a man, he thought it was his duty to protect his house, his neighborhood, his community."

• Rage+1 4