Pixar's next movie - Lightyear

mdmost

spacer.png

That looks amazing.

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Maybe it's the movie that inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy in the TS universe.

Yep, and I have absolutely no problem with this.  We, sort of, got Woody and Jessie's origin show in TS2.  Did they need to do one for Buzz? No, but I'm glad.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ajax said:

Maybe it's the movie that inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy in the TS universe.

From another site

Spoiler

From a person involved: The toy Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story is based on the very successful live action (in universe) movie which spawned a cartoon in the Toy Story universe (the cartoon they actually made is Buzz Lightyear: Star Command) and the toy is based on that cartoon. Lightyear is that (in universe) live action movie or at least the realization of that concept.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

So was the gay scene that they are throwing a fit about just a kiss or were they full on cartoon scissoring?

No, the twist was that the maroon-clad guy, can’t remember his name, managed to figure out how to fuck the robot cat.  Not sure why it was in a kid’s movie.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

So was the gay scene that they are throwing a fit about just a kiss or were they full on cartoon scissoring?

Just saw the movie, the “gay scene” was nothing, the kiss was a short kiss that 90% of the audience it going to miss. It is crazy to me that anyone would cause a scene about it. 

51 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

The animation was amazing, but the story seemed lacking. The whole twist thing seemed far-fetched at best. It seemed like the story was written more for the adults who grew up with Toy Story than the kids currently watching the Toy Story franchise. 

I'm glad they made it, but it would have made more sense to make it back around TS2, when the context was easier to understand.  Doing it now confused people, and some idiots even thought Tim Allen was canceled (when it's literally the opposite, Disney+ has him making a big-budget Santa Claus series as we speak, as their flagship holiday franchise this winter).

This almost felt like "Ehh, we made TS4 even though everybody thought we were done after TS3, is there anything else we can do with TS?"

I still think they should have ended the Toy Story franchise right here, just fade to black:

Toy-Story-3-Incinerator-Scene.jpg

It would have been fucking amazing, and would been worthy of an Oscar.

And a shitload of kids would have been in therapy for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

The animation was amazing, but the story seemed lacking. The whole twist thing seemed far-fetched at best. It seemed like the story was written more for the adults who grew up with Toy Story than the kids currently watching the Toy Story franchise. 

This. It was just far too complex a plot for a kid's movie (with the full understanding that Pixar movies have never been only kids movies, they've always had content for all ages, you "grasped" and felt the movie at different levels depending on your age). But this one went too hard on the hard sci-fi, to the point where I'm sure most parents don't even understand some of the concepts it uses as key plot drivers. It also felt shallow on the character development, lead Buzz was utterly one-dimensional. (I had similar criticism for Incredibles 2.)

Feel disappointed in the movie after the trailer - trailer had so much potential.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, Scary Stranger said:

It's basically the same thing, right? I mean with all the concern I assume it was a full on lesbo bdsm.

23 hours ago, hornbri said:

Just saw the movie, the “gay scene” was nothing, the kiss was a short kiss that 90% of the audience it going to miss. It is crazy to me that anyone would cause a scene about it. 

I watched Three's Company as a kid and got none of the gay references. None.

7 minutes ago, yoladu said:

they couldnt get Tim Allen? really?

They weren't trying to get Tim Allen.  Allen doesn't even have the most appearances or screen time with Buzz.  Patrick Warburton has the most Buzz Lightyear screen time/voice time with his three dozen animated shows, with Mike MacRae (Infinity and Kingdom Hearts video games) a close second.  Yes, there are nerds and purists who track this stuff.

• Tim Allen is the toy in the movies.
  • Teddy Newton portrayed the McDonald's toy version of Buzz from the Small Fry short film
  • Pat Fraley portrayed the toy in the video games and shorts when Tim Allen was busy doing other stuff.
  • Mike MacRae portrayed the toy in a ton of the video games that had a lot of dialogue (and he's a dead-ringer for Tim Allen).
  • Patrick Warburton voiced the cartoon human version of Buzz for the 37 episodes of the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command animated series (that inspired the toy)
  • Chris Evans voiced the movie human version of Buzz Lightyear in the Lightyear movie that Andy watched that inspired the Star Command animated series (and that we are discussing)

If you need a Tim Allen fix, Disney+ is doing a big-budget TV series later this year to wrap up the three Santa Claus films that Allen did.  

And Elizabeth Mitchell is back as Mrs. Claus.   homerdrools.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

They weren't trying to get Tim Allen.  Allen doesn't even have the most appearances or screen time with Buzz.  Patrick Warburton has the most Buzz Lightyear screen time/voice time with his three dozen animated shows, with Mike MacRae (Infinity and Kingdom Hearts video games) a close second.  Yes, there are nerds and purists who track this stuff.

• Tim Allen is the toy in the movies.
  • Teddy Newton portrayed the McDonald's toy version of Buzz from the Small Fry short film
  • Pat Fraley portrayed the toy in the video games and shorts when Tim Allen was busy doing other stuff.
  • Mike MacRae portrayed the toy in a ton of the video games that had a lot of dialogue (and he's a dead-ringer for Tim Allen).
  • Patrick Warburton voiced the cartoon human version of Buzz for the 37 episodes of the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command animated series (that inspired the toy)
  • Chris Evans voiced the movie human version of Buzz Lightyear in the Lightyear movie that Andy watched that inspired the Star Command animated series (and that we are discussing)

If you need a Tim Allen fix, Disney+ is doing a big-budget TV series later this year to wrap up the three Santa Claus films that Allen did.  

And Elizabeth Mitchell is back as Mrs. Claus.   homerdrools.gif

Nerd Alert GIFs | Tenor

i kid, i kid.. i had no idea.... not at all versed in the Toy Story universe. thanks for the info.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i kid, i kid.. i had no idea.... not at all versed in the Toy Story universe. thanks for the info.

I got informed by my 9 year-old that there were multiples when we were talking about going to the movie.  I assumed that Allen did most of it, although I did know that Patrick Warburton did the cartoon series.

That Mike Macrae is legit confused with Allen, just like when Jim Hanks does Woody and is sometimes confused with his brother Tom.  He's like the Clint Howard of the Hanks family or something.

I liked it, my 6 year old gave it a 10/10 but everything is a 10 for him that he likes. My 3 year old sat through it without getting talkative or restless which means he was into it.  It’s not a toy story movie, more of a space adventure sci fi movie as other have noted.  

Edited by Covri

It’s a shame that there was so much potential with this movie and it flopped so hard. If this had been a smash I could totally have seen Disney do a Woody origin story (which they could probably still do since Woody is the more popular character of the two). 

If you watch the Disney+ documentary on the making of Lightyear you see that the director of the film was seen as the “Buzz Lightyear expert” at Pixar. Perhaps he was too close to the character and didn’t get enough outside feedback when writing the story. 

I think you could have had a much more interesting film with the same cast of characters if it went something like this:

- Buzz fails a mission early in the movie and is demoted

- Buzz’s new duties involve leading the misfit cast of characters (except they’re actual Space Ranger recruits) 

- The misfit crew is on a mission and is attacked/captured by Zurg

- The team works together to escape/defeat Zurg

10 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

It’s a shame that there was so much potential with this movie and it flopped so hard. If this had been a smash I could totally have seen Disney do a Woody origin story (which they could probably still do since Woody is the more popular character of the two). 

If you watch the Disney+ documentary on the making of Lightyear you see that the director of the film was seen as the “Buzz Lightyear expert” at Pixar. Perhaps he was too close to the character and didn’t get enough outside feedback when writing the story. 

I think you could have had a much more interesting film with the same cast of characters if it went something like this:

- Buzz’s new duties involve leading the misfit cast of characters (except they’re actual Space Ranger recruits) 

Good ideas!

On 6/21/2022 at 7:47 AM, 'stache said:

And apparently Tim Allen has to be the voice and only heteros can fuck on screen.

Probably a lot of kids in Katy and the Woodlands who really wanna see this movie but their red hat parents won't take them because of something about woke and gay groomers or some other dumbshit 

• Fuck You 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:56 PM, Yev Kassem said:

That sounds boring as fuck and a plot done a thousand times.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I personally thought the fisting scene was tastefully done.

She was very gentle and there was decent tension, given that they both thought they were dying (which is why it happened in the first place).

But my oldest was like “why is she doing that with her hand, we know Buzz makes it out alive?”

• 1 month later...