Circle C - Lawns Aren't / Are Taken Seriously

Wally Pryor

1. What is the normal procedure when a lawn is overgrown?

Code inspectors collaborate with property owners to bring their properties into compliance. Inspectors send a Notice of Violation outlining what needs to be fixed. They work with property representatives to address the issue and bring their properties into compliance (Tall grass has a 7 day compliance time). If a code violation does not get resolved then the final step taken is enforcement, which includes property abatement. If the property is private and occupied they obtain municipal court search and seizure warrant use case starts. The Austin Code Officer obtains city legal approval, and then serves the search warrant to identify the abatement required

City of Austin Code 10-5, Article 2) requires that grass and weeds be maintained below 12 inches.

2. How many warnings was the homeowner given and when?

We can confirm that Austin Code was on site with Austin Police Officers to perform an abatement of high weeds and grass. Based on our current case history, in 2020, we received two complaints. In 2021, Austin Code has had three cases reported at the property. In March 2021, Austin Code conducted a similar abatement without incident. The last case involving similar issues went to an Administrative Hearing Judge in April 2021. The owner did not appear at the hearing and was issued a fine.
——————————

so I guess they actually have mowed his lawn before? That’s my reading of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude seemed like the most backward of nuts. Living in a nice, heavily populated neighborhood in the middle of a lot of people. And no one ever saw the guy. Not often that you encounter a "mystery house" right in the middle of a place like Circle C.

Just wondering if his was body will be the last one that needs to be removed from that location. May want to check the backyard.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The best timeline so far I have read about how it all went down although I am admittedly more interested though in the backstory of the now deceased home owner.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/police-responding-to-swat-situation-in-sw-austin-avoid-the-area

“According to Austin Police Chief Joseph Chacon, the incident began when Austin Code Enforcement and district representatives arrived to a residence in the 10600 block of Pinkney Lane around 9:16 a.m. this morning to serve a search warrant for nuisance and abatement concerning an overgrown lawn.

Chacon says that the warrant was served as part of an ongoing situation with Code Enforcement regarding an overgrown lawn in the front and back of the home.

No one answered, so the warrant was left on the door. While contractors started lawn work at the home, shots were fired from inside the home. No one was injured in this incident and officers and other personnel on scene were able to escape the gunfire and make it to safety, according to police. Police then activated their SWAT team.

When SWAT arrived with mental health officers and a crisis negotiator, they attempted de-escalation techniques and officers tried for several hours to make contact with the man inside, mostly using the public address system. Nearby Kiker Elementary School was also placed on a lockdown out of an abundance of caution, says Chacon.

Chacon says that at 3:19 p.m. officers at the back of the home took several shots from someone inside and officers at the front of the home made entry with a robot, which found a fire that was spreading quickly inside the home.

Officers continued to try and get the man to exit the home, but soon the house looked like it was fully engulfed in flames and it looked likely the man had succumbed to the flames and smoke, says Chacon. The Austin Fire Department was then called in to put the fire out.

Twenty minutes later, the man stepped out of his garage with weapons in hand. It is at that point that Chacon says a SWAT officer shot him and he went down. Officers approached and took his weapons, pulling the man away from the house, and began life-saving measures.

The man, described as an adult male in his 50s, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 4 p.m.”

In your expert opinion … will we see this on Forensic Files? 🔍  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dude seemed like the most backward of nuts. Living in a nice, heavily populated neighborhood in the middle of a lot of people. And no one ever saw the guy. Not often that you encounter a "mystery house" right in the middle of a place like Circle C.

Just wondering if his was body will be the last one that needs to be removed from that location. May want to check the backyard.

There was another thread a while back with some crazy dude who spray painted his house with stuff.   Lots of crazies, not lots of stuff to do with them, this is what you end up with.  Burn it all down, seems the message.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just looking at property values houses are like $600,000-800,000 in that area. Of course who knows what the inside looked like. How did he go for groceries etc…? Most of the stuff I am seeing online suggests no one knew him or saw anyone in that house for years.:.did he leave at night to run errands? Fucking weird stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Was his name Werner Klopek?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

There was another thread a while back with some crazy dude who spray painted his house with stuff.   Lots of crazies, not lots of stuff to do with them, this is what you end up with.  Burn it all down, seems the message.  

I think it was irishtexan’s neighbor. He (crazy neighbor) actually worked with me for a split second and seemed normal before randomly blowing up on someone and getting fired immediately. He later left Google reviews for the business saying we had been hacked by the Chinese. Hopefully that dude is better because he’d probably end up like this 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

The best timeline so far I have read about how it all went down although I am admittedly more interested though in the backstory of the now deceased home owner.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/police-responding-to-swat-situation-in-sw-austin-avoid-the-area

“According to Austin Police Chief Joseph Chacon, the incident began when Austin Code Enforcement and district representatives arrived to a residence in the 10600 block of Pinkney Lane around 9:16 a.m. this morning to serve a search warrant for nuisance and abatement concerning an overgrown lawn.

Chacon says that the warrant was served as part of an ongoing situation with Code Enforcement regarding an overgrown lawn in the front and back of the home.

No one answered, so the warrant was left on the door. While contractors started lawn work at the home, shots were fired from inside the home. No one was injured in this incident and officers and other personnel on scene were able to escape the gunfire and make it to safety, according to police. Police then activated their SWAT team.

When SWAT arrived with mental health officers and a crisis negotiator, they attempted de-escalation techniques and officers tried for several hours to make contact with the man inside, mostly using the public address system. Nearby Kiker Elementary School was also placed on a lockdown out of an abundance of caution, says Chacon.

Chacon says that at 3:19 p.m. officers at the back of the home took several shots from someone inside and officers at the front of the home made entry with a robot, which found a fire that was spreading quickly inside the home.

Officers continued to try and get the man to exit the home, but soon the house looked like it was fully engulfed in flames and it looked likely the man had succumbed to the flames and smoke, says Chacon. The Austin Fire Department was then called in to put the fire out.

Twenty minutes later, the man stepped out of his garage with weapons in hand. It is at that point that Chacon says a SWAT officer shot him and he went down. Officers approached and took his weapons, pulling the man away from the house, and began life-saving measures.

The man, described as an adult male in his 50s, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 4 p.m.”

image.png.e6ec6d0334ecdec55562c069ad7a8db3.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

How did he go for groceries etc…? Most of the stuff I am seeing online suggests no one knew him or saw anyone in that house for years.:.did he leave at night to run errands? Fucking weird stuff. 

That is what I don't understand. I get being a hermit, but you still have to eat sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

So it was better to escalate the situation by bringing swat then just saying fuck it and leaving the guys yard unmowed and coming back later to talk to him?

They said they tried to de-escalate mainly through public broadcasting? Like he was fucking listening to public broadcasting. This is all just so painfully stupid. 

None of this was an immediate need and now a guy is dead the lawn still isn't mowed and the house is burned down. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

So it was better to escalate the situation by bringing swat then just saying fuck it and leaving the guys yard unmowed and coming back later to talk to him?

They said they tried to de-escalate mainly through public broadcasting? Like he was fucking listening to public broadcasting. This is all just so painfully stupid. 

None of this was an immediate need and now a guy is dead the lawn still isn't mowed and the house is burned down. 

Yeah, but man, Nextdoor and the neighborhood Facebook pages got a shitload of clicks.  Seriously though, I hate going back to this, but if we had a functional mental health process in this country, none of this might have happened.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

At least he didn't get raped.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Start shooting at people and SWAT is going to be called.  You don't want cops to show up when a guy starts shooting at people in his neighborhood?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's not all of it.  In reading some articles, he had been on their radar for a number of years.  Code Enforcement had visited his house, mowed his lawn, was summoned to appear before a judge, etc.  In my opinion, this was probably the best outcome (yeah, I'm a sick fuck, so what).  What if this fucker had snapped and shot a good neighbor trying to help out?

But I do also agree, a crazy man is dead because he didn't take care of his lawn.  But if you can find the pics again, the grass was dense and nearly waist deep.  Lots of critters can hide in there.

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

Whether they should have been there or not, the guy opened fire on a couple of landscapers. 

Once you decide it's okay to break out a gun, and use it, in a neighborhood the "fuck it, let's come back later" option pretty much goes out the window.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Doesn't he have some sort of "stand your ground/castle doctrine" protection in Texas?  I mean, if he were alive, he could use that defense and didn't prove to be a psychotic arsonist.  

8 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Whether they should have been there or not, the guy opened fire on a couple of landscapers. 

Once you decide it's okay to break out a gun, and use it, in a neighborhood the "fuck it, let's come back later" option pretty much goes out the window.

I mean whatever, -1 

10 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

As I see it he's trying to save water, and keep his soil on his property. He was a hero for growing his grass out 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Whether they should have been there or not, the guy opened fire on a couple of landscapers who are COA employees.

For emphasis.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Through public address-a bullhorn or the speakers on their cars or whatever.

You think they asked him to flip the channel to PBS?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My best friend’s cousin was interviewed on this since he was out in the area. Circle C HOA can be brutal. Many of the neighbors thought the home was unoccupied or abandoned for some time. Not clear on what the HOA thought. But the same process occurred a few months ago at the home with lawnmower peeps and COA / LE and there wasn’t an incident. Same process and they mowed the lawn and left. My guess is that guy got the bill for said services and given his mental health lost it when they showed up again to mow his lawn? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

My best friend’s cousin was interviewed on this since he was out in the area. Circle C HOA can be brutal. Many of the neighbors thought the home was unoccupied or abandoned for some time. Not clear on what the HOA thought. But the same process occurred a few months ago at the home with lawnmower peeps and COA / LE and there wasn’t an incident. Same process and they mowed the lawn and left. My guess is that guy got the bill for said services and given his mental health lost it when they showed up again to mow his lawn? 

So this is where you get your news from! I always wondered! 

• Haha 1

In my mom’s HOA they have funds set aside to help the elderly or incapacitated/physically challenged with stuff like that and they don’t send some astronomical bill. Like $25 bucks for lawn mowage. No clue about Circle C. No idea if the HOA had any interactions with the homeowner or not. He didn’t show up for some court date fine in April but that’s about all you can get out of MSM and that his lawn had been mowed at least once before wby the city without incident. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In one of the interview they said they thought he had lived there for 15 years and the yard pretty much always looked like it was.  Damn... we have to be better than this. If that was the case it should have been pretty clear this guy had more than a lawn maintenance issue and different help might be needed.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
sp
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

In one of the interview they said they though he had lived their for 15 years and yard pretty much always looked like it was.  Damn... we have to be better than this. If that was the case it should have been pretty clear this guy had more than a lawn maintenance issue and different help might be needed.

Right, but in America, being mentally ill is either a stigma that gets you killed, or a platform for getting elected.  Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2