‘21-‘22 Coaching Changes

George Clooney

Now that several big jobs are open, let’s see who goes where.

LSU has Scott Woodward ready to target pretty much anyone he desires while USC seems destined to hire James Franklin. Penn St would likely have Mike Elko on their shortlist if that transpires. 

Miami also might be open, and they’d likely go after Cristobal then Kiffin. There’s no way they’d get either with their current leadership, but it’d be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Now that several big jobs are open, let’s see who goes where.

LSU has Scott Woodward ready to target pretty much anyone he desires while USC seems destined to hire James Franklin. Penn St would likely have Mike Elko on their shortlist if that transpires. 

Miami also might be open, and they’d likely go after Cristobal then Kiffin. There’s no way they’d get either with their current leadership, but it’d be interesting to watch.

Why would PSU go after Elko when they might be able to lure Luke Fickell?  Cincy seems the more likely destination for Elko than Pedo St.  Or Maryland.

Edited by cafe society

I think they’d prefer Fickell for sure, but it’s not a guarantee that he’d take that job. He rebuffed Sparty even though they offered him much more money. Penn St is a better job than MSU, but I have a hunch that Fickell might be waiting for Ohio St to open up sometime in the next decade. He really does love Cincy but who knows what he might do. That being said, if he does leave and Cincy offers Elko the job, I’m not sure he’d take it. He’s very content at A&M, and I think he’s holding out for a top 10-15 job.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I think they’d prefer Fickell for sure, but it’s not a guarantee that he’d take that job. He rebuffed Sparty even though they offered him much more money. Penn St is a better job than MSU, but I have a hunch that Fickell might be waiting for Ohio St to open up sometime in the next decade. He really does love Cincy but who knows what he might do. That being said, if he does leave and Cincy offers Elko the job, I’m not sure he’d take it. He’s very content at A&M, and I think he’s holding out for a top 10-15 job.

Didn't Elko interview with Kansas last year? If he's even thinking about that one, someone like Cincy would seem like a no-brainer. If Elko is holding out for a top 10-15 job straight from being a coordinator, he might never be a HC. Even Venables isn't getting those kind of offers and he's far more accomplished.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Didn't Elko interview with Kansas last year? If he's even thinking about that one, someone like Cincy would seem like a no-brainer. If Elko is holding out for a top 10-15 job straight from being a coordinator, he might never be a HC. Even Venables isn't getting those kind of offers and he's far more accomplished.

Yes, but Venables has... baggage.  There just seem to be several coaches ahead of Elko in the pecking order for big time positions.

Carousel discussion from the IT staff

Spoiler

Texas Tech’s dismissal of head coach Matt Wells on Monday continued a trend of in-season firings. It’s not yet Halloween but we already have openings at USC, Texas Tech, Washington State, and LSU, as Ed Orgeron has been restored to his rightful place as interim coach, this time for himself.

There are also openings at UCONN and Georgia Southern. Those two likely won‘t impact Texas in any way, but you never know whose favorite position coach or coordinator at a big school will get his chance at a little school. We will discuss recruiting impacts in Part II.

Already open: USC, LSU, Texas Tech, Washington State, UCONN, Georgia Southern

USC: Nobody loves a USC man more than USC, so the usual names are being bandied about, including… Jeff Fisher. Two perennial candidates make the most sense for Southern Cal, James Franklin and Luke Fickell. Current Southern Cal AD Mike Bohn hired Fickell at Cincinnati. This makes Fickell USC-adjacent and therefore acceptable to the Trojan Council of 500.

LSU: Every coach with a pulse has been tied to this opening but there doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus of the top target, though there are rumors a top target has been identified. Mario Cristobal, James Franklin, Mel Tucker, and many others have been mentioned. This search will have a direct recruiting impact for UT. To clearly understand why LSU is the superior job to USC, compare the state of their transition classes.

Texas Tech: This will be Jeff Traylor’s job if he wants it. It’ll be interesting to see how long Tech will let things play out. I’m not convinced Sonny Dykes would want it if offered and also not convinced Traylor will take it, even if comes complete with f-u money.

Washington State: Jeff Banks’ name has been mentioned with this job opening but we haven’t received any hard info. We think it’s unlikely he’ll get the call and would be unsure he’d even want it. Nick Rolovich is available and would be a smart hire for the Cougars.

Schools that could come open due to poor performance: Miami (Manny Diaz); Cal (Justin Wilcox); Virginia Tech (Justin Fuente); North Texas (Seth Littrell)

Miami: Diaz got the kiss of death earlier this week, fittingly not too far from where Fredo got his. The Canes are said to be short on cash but as we know there’s an ROI associated with good football that probably makes up for short term shortfalls. While Miami is nowhere near its glory days, it’s still a prized horse on the carousel.

Cal: This is a difficult job and like Justin Wilcox’s predecessor Sonny Dykes, Wilcox might be a better head coach than it appears to the naked eye. It’s also possible he’s just a much better fit as a coordinator.

Virginia Tech: I’m in agreement with Gerry Hamilton that the advent of Hudl has made it much harder for Virginia Tech to keep the sorts of under-the-radar prospects it found in the glory days under the radar. I think Utah has had similar issues in recent years. That said, it’s still in a relatively talented corridor and if Wake Forest and North Carolina State can experience success there’s no reason for VT and its better football brand to struggle to the degree it has. Fuente has an interesting finish to the season ahead of him. He’s still a good coach and would make sense for North Texas.

Schools that could open up due to upwardly mobile coaches: Oregon (Mario Cristobal); Penn State (James Franklin); Michigan State (Mel Tucker); Ole Miss (Lane Kiffin); Cincinnati (Luke Fickell); Iowa State (Matt Campbell); Mark Stoops (Kentucky); UTSA (Jeff Traylor); SMU (Sonny Dykes); Wake Forest (Dave Clawson); North Carolina State (Dave Doeren); Liberty (Hugh Freeze)

Oregon: I can’t see Oregon losing Cristobal but his name is being associated with LSU and Miami. Some have also mentioned USC but that seems even more unlikely.

Penn State: State would be a destination school for many but Franklin wouldn’t turn down USC or LSU if they come calling. That’s not what he’s telling recruits but we see through it. Dear recruits, I just fired my agent and hired Jimmy Sexton so I can negotiate a better deal with my current employer. Uh huh.

Michigan State: The Spartans are undefeated but have yet to play Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Losses in those three games wouldn’t completely take the shine off head coach Mel Tucker, but it would tarnish a little. Tucker, most notable as Georgia’s defensive coordinator a few years ago, has the Spartans explosive on offense this year in a big turnaround from last year’s Covid season. He has a nice mix of NFL and college experience.

Miscellaneous: Florida (Dan Mullen); Utah (Kyle Whittingham); TCU (Gary Patterson); Arizona State (Herm Edwards); North Carolina (Mack Brown)

Florida: For about a year now we’ve mentioned the discord in Gainesville. That seems to be getting more and more public and recruits are noticing. Of course, it’s come out that Dan Mullen has a show cause which partially explains why he’s looking towards the NFL and fully explains why he wasn’t recruiting during UF’s bye week.

Utah: It’s rumored it may be time for Whittingham to hang it up after a long, successful tenure. Lander Barton come on down.

TCU: TCU can’t fire Patterson in the same way Texas couldn’t fire Mack Brown. Once you build a statue of a coach, your hands are a little tied. That written, it may be time to massage him into leading the school band. We believe TCU wants new blood in the form of Jeff Traylor and Traylor prefers TCU to Tech.

Arizona State: Things staying on the tracks amid scandal is testament to the hardened resolve and overall talent of your average Arizona high school football player. Often referred to as the Georgia of Grand Canyon states, Zona has one of the highest ratios of high school to college players (after removing 95.5 percent of the population). But seriously, Herm Edwards is still at the helm and appears safe but who knows if the school would prefer a clean break after the season. One has to suspend reality to believe Edwards didn’t know about the illegal recruiting tactics during Covid shutdowns.

North Carolina: Mack is recruiting like Mack but he sure looks tired on the sidelines. He would leave UNC better than he found it, especially if he kept the current recruiting class intact.

10/26/21 Predictions

USC: Fickell
LSU: Franklin
Penn State: Matt Campbell
Tech: Kendal Briles
TCU: Jeff Traylor
Miami: Mel Tucker
Cristobal: Stays put
Kiffin: Stays put

Again, we’ll discuss recruiting implications in Part II.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, cafe society said:

Why would PSU go after Elko when they might be able to lure Luke Fickell?  Cincy seems the more likely destination for Elko than Pedo St.  Or Maryland.

You’re not going to like this but what about bill O’Brien going back to penn state?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Cal: This is a difficult job and like Justin Wilcox’s predecessor Sonny Dykes, Wilcox might be a better head coach than it appears to the naked eye. It’s also possible he’s just a much better fit as a coordinator.

I'd love for OU to go after Wilcox as a defensive coordinator. Even in this disastrous season, the Bears' defense may be better than OU's.

7 minutes ago, quigley said:

I'd love for OU to go after Wilcox as a defensive coordinator. Even in this disastrous season, the Bears' defense may be better than OU's.

I was just thinking that if PK doesn’t get things together next season and Cal hangs on to Wilcox another year before firing him, he’d be the first person Sark would look to for DC. 

22 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I was just thinking that if PK doesn’t get things together next season and Cal hangs on to Wilcox another year before firing him, he’d be the first person Sark would look to for DC. 

You guys need to give PK more of a chance. He's good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

i like mike elko a lot and think he's a damn solid coordinator, but there's no fucking way penn state has him in the top 15 of guys they would want to hire. 

also, franklin is a weird cat and would recruit lights out in baton rouge and continue to lose a handful of games in bizarre fashion each year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Carousel discussion from the IT staff

Hide contents

Texas Tech’s dismissal of head coach Matt Wells on Monday continued a trend of in-season firings. It’s not yet Halloween but we already have openings at USC, Texas Tech, Washington State, and LSU, as Ed Orgeron has been restored to his rightful place as interim coach, this time for himself.

There are also openings at UCONN and Georgia Southern. Those two likely won‘t impact Texas in any way, but you never know whose favorite position coach or coordinator at a big school will get his chance at a little school. We will discuss recruiting impacts in Part II.

Already open: USC, LSU, Texas Tech, Washington State, UCONN, Georgia Southern

USC: Nobody loves a USC man more than USC, so the usual names are being bandied about, including… Jeff Fisher. Two perennial candidates make the most sense for Southern Cal, James Franklin and Luke Fickell. Current Southern Cal AD Mike Bohn hired Fickell at Cincinnati. This makes Fickell USC-adjacent and therefore acceptable to the Trojan Council of 500.

LSU: Every coach with a pulse has been tied to this opening but there doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus of the top target, though there are rumors a top target has been identified. Mario Cristobal, James Franklin, Mel Tucker, and many others have been mentioned. This search will have a direct recruiting impact for UT. To clearly understand why LSU is the superior job to USC, compare the state of their transition classes.

Texas Tech: This will be Jeff Traylor’s job if he wants it. It’ll be interesting to see how long Tech will let things play out. I’m not convinced Sonny Dykes would want it if offered and also not convinced Traylor will take it, even if comes complete with f-u money.

Washington State: Jeff Banks’ name has been mentioned with this job opening but we haven’t received any hard info. We think it’s unlikely he’ll get the call and would be unsure he’d even want it. Nick Rolovich is available and would be a smart hire for the Cougars.

Schools that could come open due to poor performance: Miami (Manny Diaz); Cal (Justin Wilcox); Virginia Tech (Justin Fuente); North Texas (Seth Littrell)

Miami: Diaz got the kiss of death earlier this week, fittingly not too far from where Fredo got his. The Canes are said to be short on cash but as we know there’s an ROI associated with good football that probably makes up for short term shortfalls. While Miami is nowhere near its glory days, it’s still a prized horse on the carousel.

Virginia Tech: I’m in agreement with Gerry Hamilton that the advent of Hudl has made it much harder for Virginia Tech to keep the sorts of under-the-radar prospects it found in the glory days under the radar. I think Utah has had similar issues in recent years. That said, it’s still in a relatively talented corridor and if Wake Forest and North Carolina State can experience success there’s no reason for VT and its better football brand to struggle to the degree it has. Fuente has an interesting finish to the season ahead of him. He’s still a good coach and would make sense for North Texas.

Schools that could open up due to upwardly mobile coaches: Oregon (Mario Cristobal); Penn State (James Franklin); Michigan State (Mel Tucker); Ole Miss (Lane Kiffin); Cincinnati (Luke Fickell); Iowa State (Matt Campbell); Mark Stoops (Kentucky); UTSA (Jeff Traylor); SMU (Sonny Dykes); Wake Forest (Dave Clawson); North Carolina State (Dave Doeren); Liberty (Hugh Freeze)

Oregon: I can’t see Oregon losing Cristobal but his name is being associated with LSU and Miami. Some have also mentioned USC but that seems even more unlikely.

Penn State: State would be a destination school for many but Franklin wouldn’t turn down USC or LSU if they come calling. That’s not what he’s telling recruits but we see through it. Dear recruits, I just fired my agent and hired Jimmy Sexton so I can negotiate a better deal with my current employer. Uh huh.

Michigan State: The Spartans are undefeated but have yet to play Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Losses in those three games wouldn’t completely take the shine off head coach Mel Tucker, but it would tarnish a little. Tucker, most notable as Georgia’s defensive coordinator a few years ago, has the Spartans explosive on offense this year in a big turnaround from last year’s Covid season. He has a nice mix of NFL and college experience.

Miscellaneous: Florida (Dan Mullen); Utah (Kyle Whittingham); TCU (Gary Patterson); Arizona State (Herm Edwards); North Carolina (Mack Brown)

Florida: For about a year now we’ve mentioned the discord in Gainesville. That seems to be getting more and more public and recruits are noticing. Of course, it’s come out that Dan Mullen has a show cause which partially explains why he’s looking towards the NFL and fully explains why he wasn’t recruiting during UF’s bye week.

Utah: It’s rumored it may be time for Whittingham to hang it up after a long, successful tenure. Lander Barton come on down.

TCU: TCU can’t fire Patterson in the same way Texas couldn’t fire Mack Brown. Once you build a statue of a coach, your hands are a little tied. That written, it may be time to massage him into leading the school band. We believe TCU wants new blood in the form of Jeff Traylor and Traylor prefers TCU to Tech.

Arizona State: Things staying on the tracks amid scandal is testament to the hardened resolve and overall talent of your average Arizona high school football player. Often referred to as the Georgia of Grand Canyon states, Zona has one of the highest ratios of high school to college players (after removing 95.5 percent of the population). But seriously, Herm Edwards is still at the helm and appears safe but who knows if the school would prefer a clean break after the season. One has to suspend reality to believe Edwards didn’t know about the illegal recruiting tactics during Covid shutdowns.

North Carolina: Mack is recruiting like Mack but he sure looks tired on the sidelines. He would leave UNC better than he found it, especially if he kept the current recruiting class intact.

10/26/21 Predictions

USC: Fickell
LSU: Franklin
Penn State: Matt Campbell
Tech: Kendal Briles
TCU: Jeff Traylor
Miami: Mel Tucker
Cristobal: Stays put
Kiffin: Stays put

Again, we’ll discuss recruiting implications in Part II.

Wilcox isnt going anywhere unless he chooses to leave.  Cal would owe him $7M+ and they are skint AF

1 hour ago, quigley said:

and Sirmon at LB coach.  Sirmon sucks as a DC but is a superior LB coach and a plus recruiter.  Wilcox is a better DC than a head coach but unless he quits, he isn't leaving Cal cause they can't afford to fire him.  He gets another year regardless