Spiders and other bugs

hookem2010

'Tis the season for creepy shit. As I was scrolling through my snake pictures, I realized I have collected quite a few arachnid photos as well. Jumping spiders in particular are super cool and really seem to check you out. About time to invest in a macro camera lens.

Pictured below are a very large wolf spider, banded fishing spider, yellow garden spider feeding, bold jumping spider and two other jumping spiders I can't ID.

6a5e75350ede69d5cc99e6ae83c5e298.jpg38f6b6b33819522a5461cf1a994632ef.jpgae0aa7226452a7c75189f6e83b54b99b.jpg2d0600d72e0a9e712e8452d058c3424e.jpge5bc0da6dafb78f0487ec4d17c394c04.jpg8bf9a97b7495f4f9b3c30eb0693b9873.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

So a couple of days ago, the family watched as a tarantula hawk dragged a paralyzed juvenile tarantula from the neighbor’s yard, across the street, and into our yard to her burrow.  Where she will do something very “damn nature you scary” with it. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

A couple of years ago north of Brady, I took a shot at a doe at long range right at sunset.  When I went to look for her, it was already getting dark.  My flashlight kept illuminating dew drops all over all the grass blades and cacti on the ground.  Then I realized that it was dry out....and there wouldn't be dew on the ground in the evening.  And I realized that what I saw was the reflection of thousands and thousands of spider eyes.  I never would have known they were there without the light making their eyes reflect.  Creepy, but cool.   The density of those critters was off the charts -- literally thousands upon thousands of them.

those jumping spiders are so cute, and you're right in that they check you out! 

um i think at least one of the above needs an asterisk lol

i am not at all afraid of spiders, they're fascinating and almost completely beneficial. if i see one in the house i always try to catch it to move it outside.

flying tree roach otoh...legit phobic. FLAMETHROWER MOTHERFUCKER. i blame growing up in Houston where i was traumatized numerous times as a child 😳

• Like 1

Did a stint*** in UT Married student housing... If you are not familiar with the properties, they are on prime lake front real estate in central Austin.  Anyways, we lived in the Colorado complex.  When we first moved in, we had to deal with roaches.   At some point a spider (like that garden spider above) got into the apartment and made home between the vent hood and the cabinets.  Roaches and other critters were no longer and issue.  We named him Petey.  It would descend sometimes while the wife was cooking and be about 2 foot from her head.  It was never aggressive.  We appreciated not having to deal with other pests.

***For anyone that asked me about what the apartments were like, I would always say Early 20th Century Penitentiary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

those jumping spiders are so cute, and you're right in that they check you out! 
um i think at least one of the above needs an asterisk lol
i am not at all afraid of spiders, they're fascinating and almost completely beneficial. if i see one in the house i always try to catch it to move it outside.
flying tree roach otoh...legit phobic. FLAMETHROWER MOTHERFUCKER. i blame growing up in Houston where i was traumatized numerous times as a child

Couldn’t agree more. Roaches are the most disgusting and vial creatures on the planet.

<shudders>

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

I appreciate the work they do. I don’t want to see them. I don’t want them anywhere near me. Stay out of sight and kill other bugs. If one sneaks up on me, I’ll kill it. Fortunately there are no big hairy spiders where I live. The biggest are about the size of a quarter. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A couple of years ago north of Brady, I took a shot at a doe at long range right at sunset.  When I went to look for her, it was already getting dark.  My flashlight kept illuminating dew drops all over all the grass blades and cacti on the ground.  Then I realized that it was dry out....and there wouldn't be dew on the ground in the evening.  And I realized that what I saw was the reflection of thousands and thousands of spider eyes.  I never would have known they were there without the light making their eyes reflect.  Creepy, but cool.   The density of those critters was off the charts -- literally thousands upon thousands of them.

Ha...was camping at South Llano River State Park with the now wife and she had to take a wee at night.  Had my headlamp on to walk her to the bathroom and we saw the same, thousands and thousands of sparkling little lights.  She was a bit wary of spiders at the moment, as earlier in the day I had filled my Nalgene from one of the campsite spouts and a black widow decided to crawl out of the spout and onto the rim.  Anywho, she is freaking the fuck out after I explained what the twinkly lights were and obviously i was having a lot of fun with it.  I spotted the biggest one possible and redirected a bit that way.  Fucker starts scurrying toward us and she lets out a yelp that would have made a coyote proud.  I was very very pleased with myself.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So a couple of days ago, the family watched as a tarantula hawk dragged a paralyzed juvenile tarantula from the neighbor’s yard, across the street, and into our yard to her burrow.  Where she will do something very “damn nature you scary” with it. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

Tarantula Hawk user name checks out.

Fuck this fucking thread.

I've got a fucking big ol' fucking quarter-sized fucking scar that is slightly fucking depressed from, what I fucking assume, was a fucking wolf spider bite fucking acquired while fucking sleeping on a fucking cot in a fucking cabin out by fucking Wimberly a few fucking years back. Had a fucking painful, almost fucking golf ball-sized fucking lump on that fucking leg for a couple fucking weeks.

Fuck fucking spiders. Fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, bolverk said:

I've got a fucking big ol' fucking quarter-sized fucking scar that is slightly fucking depressed from, what I fucking assume, was a fucking wolf spider bite fucking acquired while fucking sleeping on a fucking cot in a fucking cabin out by fucking Wimberly a few fucking years back. Had a fucking painful, almost fucking golf ball-sized fucking lump on that fucking leg for a couple fucking weeks.

spider GIF

• Rage+1 1

Couldn’t agree more. Roaches are the most disgusting and vial creatures on the planet.
Snakes and spiders are generally OK with me, clearly. Roaches are gross but just a nuisance. Rats, especially inside a residence? Those can fuck right off. Alberta's keeping that shit locked down though.3900e0738f9cabd2e2228db299c2d3d6.jpg
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

That wasn't a wolf spider. Probably a brown recluse bite. Google it. They sometimes require medical attention.

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

From my Big Bend trip last weekend. 

97F41081-0487-46C5-9497-3600E06DA74A.jpeg

Those guys are mostly harmless. Place your hand flat in front of it, and with your other hand sort of herd it forward, and it'll crawl onto your flat hand and you can gently pick it up and carry it around and let it crawl up your arm. You can really fucking freak people out. My wife and daughter can testify to that.

If you just grab it, they will bite, but its no worse than a bee sting.

If you scare it, they can flick hairs at you that will irritate your skin, so be gentle when picking them up and scaring people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That wasn't a wolf spider. Probably a brown recluse bite. Google it. They sometimes require medical attention.

Those guys are mostly harmless. Place your hand flat in front of it, and with your other hand sort of herd it forward, and it'll crawl onto your flat hand and you can gently pick it up and carry it around and let it crawl up your arm. You can really fucking freak people out. My wife and daughter can testify to that.

If you just grab it, they will bite, but its no worse than a bee sting.

If you scare it, they can flick hairs at you that will irritate your skin, so be gentle when picking them up and scaring people.

Or just let em be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Snakes and spiders are generally OK with me, clearly. Roaches are gross but just a nuisance. Rats, especially inside a residence? Those can fuck right off. Alberta's keeping that shit locked down though.3900e0738f9cabd2e2228db299c2d3d6.jpg

I've been to Calgary many times and I don't buy for one second Alberta has zero rats.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

One of these crawled up the leg of a shorts-wearing friend of mine.  He freaked out and was running around like he was burning in an alcohol fire.   

A7E68D32-30DE-4F6A-8B48-37D1932DEA9E.jpeg

And for damn good reason. Evil tempered bitches. They get big here. Had a ten inch one get in the house and it reared up and wanted to fight. All the bigger ones I have come across have been flat mean.