The "I'm Cooking for a lot of People" Thread

dcbc

So the principal shouted us out on the newsletter. I responded and told her we didn't catch her at the booth (she had been telling me for months she couldn't wait to try it) and that I had leftover butts and would be happy to send one in for the teachers in a crock pot tomorrow. 

I proceeded to give two of them away to the girls that run the fair (one is hot, no pics) and had my wife auction another off on FB for $55. Ok no worries I still have a fresh one in the fridge I didn't cook left over from when I cooked for my FiL's motorcycle party. Let me check on it... Hey what's that smell??

😫😖😡

So I had to run to Kroger tonight and pay damn near $3/lb for a bone in butt because I promised. I don't wanna cook again this summer.

How long can you cooler brisket and or ribs before you lose any quality? I have an Alto Sham and or several good coolers, not sure how long I could hold them for a rehearsal dinner for 25-30 people. Would you wrap them in cellophane after letting them cool off for a while then off to a warming cabinet or cooler?

Ribs don't hold well without a heat source in my experience.  If they sit for a couple of hours without something to keep them warm, they dry out even if they are wrapped.  The brisket will be just fine and it may keep the ribs warm enough also.  I've never tried it that way, so I can't say for sure.  If you wrap the brisket with butcher paper when you are cooking them, you don't have to do anything to it before you put it in the cooler.  They will do just fine.

Edited by kevwun

Yeah I missed the ribs part. My advice above applies to brisket 

To be honest I struggle with ribs (St. Louis spares). I don't really get it as I can nail pretty much everything else. And I love pork ribs when done properly but I rarely can pull them off. That said I knew for Friday night's event that I would not be able to hold them due to spatial constraints so I decided to do a modified AF style and cook them 2-3 hours uncovered (more like 2 since I was running north of 300), then I lightly sauced them and threw them wrapped in the cooler sauna for about 2-3 hours, then I pulled them and put them back on the pit, in foil but uncovered around 275 for 45-60 minutes once the pit got up to temps. They were fairly outstanding. S&P rub only. 

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't wanna cook again this summer.

Me either, but I bet you’re like me and just can’t help it. 

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

To be honest I struggle with ribs (St. Louis spares). I don't really get it as I can nail pretty much everything else. And I love pork ribs when done properly but I rarely can pull them off.

Once you figure it out, it’s really not that difficult. Hornian’s method will get the panties dropping. I mess with flavors a tick, but the main method is there. Been doing it every time since and it’s a game changer. @hornian thanks again. 

Also: rib candy.

• 2 months later...

My typical catering target is 1/3-1/2 lb of meat (cooked) per person, but that's for a mixed crowd of men/women/kids and with a couple or three sides. If it's all guys and only one side, and they're drinking a lot, you might want to go heavier than 1/2 per person.  Will it all be served at once or will there be post-meal "grazing" time?

I expect eating will be pretty spread out and not all at one set time.   And yes, I imagine some will go back for grazing.  I can get gallon tubs of potato salad from a local meat market.  I think 3 or 4 will suffice.  Will probably pick up some bread too.

Edited by kevwun

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We're gonna have sausage also and I'm going to get some bread after thinking about.  I'm just in charge of wrangling the potato salad.  Some friends are getting the meat.

So you're not really cooking for a lot of people, now, are you?  

The "I'm buying giant premade tubs of sides for a lot of people" thread is over there ------------------->

Just kidding.  We don't actually have one of those.

Also, PM Sysco Foods :)

Wife will be cooking 5 cups of Risotto for 10 people on Saturday, despite my protestations that pasta would be easier for that amount of people. 

Made a shitload of homemade stock today for my part. Otherwise up to her to execute it well. I’ll be picking up a hefty dinner tab if it all goes tits up, I guess. 

No pics. Unless she pulls it off. Then I will post her big magnificent ass somewhere...ha!

23 minutes ago, After irth said:

Wife will be cooking 5 cups of Risotto for 10 people on Saturday, despite my protestations that pasta would be easier for that amount of people. 

Made a shitload of homemade stock today for my part. Otherwise up to her to execute it well. I’ll be picking up a hefty dinner tab if it all goes tits up, I guess. 

No pics. Unless she pulls it off. Then I will post her big magnificent ass somewhere...ha!

instant pot.  done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Bump.

@ChampKind, I'm cooking next weekend for 'bout 75 people.  Probably 50 adults and 25 kids.  We're doing cabrito.  I have two 13-15 lb on order.  Picking them up Friday.  My Argentinian buddy and I are cooking over open coals with iron crosses.  I'm planning on supplementing with brisket, chicken and sausage under the premise that probably half of the crowd will steer away from cabrito.  I'm thinking 4 briskets, a dozen whole chickens quartered and another 20 lb of venison sausage.  We'll have a BIG pot of pinto beans and plenty of other sides too.  Seem about right?

2 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Bump.

@ChampKind, I'm cooking next weekend for 'bout 75 people.  Probably 50 adults and 25 kids.  We're doing cabrito.  I have two 13-15 lb on order.  Picking them up Friday.  My Argentinian buddy and I are cooking over open coals with iron crosses.  I'm planning on supplementing with brisket, chicken and sausage under the premise that probably half of the crowd will steer away from cabrito.  I'm thinking 4 briskets, a dozen whole chickens quartered and another 20 lb of venison sausage.  We'll have a BIG pot of pinto beans and plenty of other sides too.  Seem about right?

That's a shit load of food for 50/25. You will have a lot of leftovers.  Not a bad thing.  Bring the vacuum sealer. 

16 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Bump.

Mind if I crash your cabrito party? I'll bring some cold Bud Light

• 1 year later...

I am doing 50 boxed meals for teachers/staff. Pulled pork sandwich, bag of chips, cookie. Do I wrap the entire sandwich in foil or just the meat? I'm worried that there may be an hour-ish delay between when I pull the pork and box the meal and chow time and the buns getting soggy. But just wrapping the meat seems like it could make for awkward sandwich assembly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I am doing 50 boxed meals for teachers/staff. Pulled pork sandwich, bag of chips, cookie. Do I wrap the entire sandwich in foil or just the meat? I'm worried that there may be an hour-ish delay between when I pull the pork and box the meal and chow time and the buns getting soggy. But just wrapping the meat seems like it could make for awkward sandwich assembly. 

Always safest to wrap your meat.  Doesn't feel quite as good though.

In all seriousness, I don't see how it doesn't get soggy, even if you toasted the buns.  I'd wrap it separately.  They're teachers.  They can figure it out.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah I do have some of that waxy serving paper, as well, but I don't think that's going to keep the meat warm. I guess I just make a little pouch with HD foil. The boxes will contain a plasticware set so I guess they can use that to maneuver the meat onto the bun if necessary. 

Sidebar - I was going to bake apple pie squares but decided it would be easier to just buy chocolate chip cookies from the bakery. This is good? Any other ideas? 

53 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah I do have some of that waxy serving paper, as well, but I don't think that's going to keep the meat warm. I guess I just make a little pouch with HD foil. The boxes will contain a plasticware set so I guess they can use that to maneuver the meat onto the bun if necessary. 

Sidebar - I was going to bake apple pie squares but decided it would be easier to just buy chocolate chip cookies from the bakery. This is good? Any other ideas? 

Instead of HD foil, grab several boxes of those precut foil sheets.  Easier to work with and easier to fit in a food box.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ll probably get flamed, but just cook hot dogs if you’re having a lot of people over. Kids love them, and most adults enjoy them. Immensely cheaper than burgers or brisket right now. and very easy to cook.

- Oscar Mayer all beef franks

- HEB brand buns

- Ketchup (for weirdos)

- Mustard 

- Relish

- Chips

- Salad 

- Some fruit

You're done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/9/2022 at 10:34 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll probably get flamed, but just cook hot dogs if you’re having a lot of people over. Kids love them, and most adults enjoy them. Immensely cheaper than burgers or brisket right now. and very easy to cook.

- Oscar Mayer all beef franks

- HEB brand buns

- Ketchup (for weirdos)

- Mustard 

- Relish

- Chips

- Salad 

- Some fruit

You're done. 

I’m not endorsing this idea but you could do a lot better than Oscar Mayer. Like Nathan’s or Hebrew National or Tony Packo’s (nod to Klinger). You could also do brats or other sausages, and burgers. And chili sauce and shredded cheese. And peppers, sliced fresh or dried and ground. Various cheeses. Also a variety of mustards. And sriracha as a substitute for ketchup. And a variety of onions, diced or sliced. And a choice of different pickles.

But when it comes to ketchup, if you have to have it (especially for French fries), Heinz is the way to go (their malt vinegar also goes great with fries).

They’d never make this commercial because Heinz makes a lot of other products like mustard and relish that I wouldn’t endorse. But if I were just trying to sell their ketchup, I’d make an ad set in a backyard cookout where there were options for meat and buns and toppings of every kind. Different mustards and pickles and onions and cheese, etc. Then someone would ask where the ketchup is and the host would point to the lone bottle of Heinz ketchup sitting all by itself. Because that’s the only option you need. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not endorsing this idea but you could do a lot better than Oscar Mayer. Like Nathan’s or Hebrew National or Tony Packo’s (nod to Klinger). You could also do brats or other sausages, and burgers. And chili sauce and shredded cheese. And peppers, sliced fresh or dried and ground. Various cheeses. Also a variety of mustards. And sriracha as a substitute for ketchup. And a variety of onions, diced or sliced. And a choice of different pickles.

But when it comes to ketchup, if you have to have it (especially for French fries), Heinz is the way to go (their malt vinegar also goes great with fries).

They’d never make this commercial because Heinz makes a lot of other products like mustard and relish that I wouldn’t endorse. But if I were just trying to sell their ketchup, I’d make an ad set in a backyard cookout where there were options for meat and buns and toppings of every kind. Different mustards and pickles and onions and cheese, etc. Then someone would ask where the ketchup is and the host would point to the lone bottle of Heinz ketchup sitting all by itself. Because that’s the only option you need. 

Nathan’s are solid. Don’t care for Hebrew National (no anti semitic). I’ll agree with you on Heinz Ketchup. Hunt’s sucks. Sucks hard. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nathan’s are solid. Don’t care for Hebrew National (no anti semitic). I’ll agree with you on Heinz Ketchup. Hunt’s sucks. Sucks hard. 

A really good ketchup that’s hard to find: French’s.

Also, for hot dogs, go with the HEB brand Texas Heritage beef dogs. They’re really good.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A really good ketchup that’s hard to find: French’s.

Also, for hot dogs, go with the HEB brand Texas Heritage beef dogs. They’re really good.

On the subject, I've been to a few school functions where they had a cooler full of piping hot Sam's Club hotdogs from the deli, individually wrapped.  Seriously good stuff. 

Also, French's ketchup, you say?  I like what they've done with that yellow mustard of theirs.

Edited by dcbc

We buy the bulk brick of beef dogs from GFS for the fair. They are crack like for some reason. I find myself stealing more dogs from the stockpile then I do brisket. Maybe it's that they're a low value target or maybe it's that I've only had a salet today but damn they sound good right now. 

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:19 PM, dcbc said:

Also, French's ketchup, you say?  I like what they've done with that yellow mustard of theirs.

I like their spicy brown mustard but when it comes to yellow mustard, I’m a Plochman’s man. I’m not a fan of the neon yellow stuff from French’s. But I love mustard and wouldn’t turn it down if that was all that was available.

I’ve always got a variety of mustards on hand. I also like the chipotle mustard from Silver Spring and Zatarain’s Creole mustard. I’ve got Dijon and thick, coarse ground mustard. But only one ketchup. Heinz. Also, Hunt’s used to call it Catsup. Catsup with that? That’s just wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1