Movies you hated that won you over

GhostOfTomJoad

Castaway is my nod. Robert Zemekis did his best to Spielberg the shit out of this thing. Originally I saw Hanks doing his best De Niro impersonation. And failing.

But almost 20 years down the road it holds up surprisingly well. Zemekis did one great thing in eschewing any soundtrack for just the natural noise of waves & wind in the trees. Give it time & it will pull you into the environment.

Whatcha got?

I thought Castaway was great from the first viewing.  Anchorman other than the bit with Jack Black has never gotten a laugh from me, and I think Ferrell is hysterical.  Semi-pro is fucking great.

I thought Legends of the Fall, outside of the beautiful scenery sucked the first time I saw it.  Then after watching again, I enjoyed it more.  Now, if its on, I'll watch it to the end.

I went to the first Naked Gun in the theater, and just didn't get in to it at all.  Then I watched it a bunch of times drunk in college.  I now realize that is the proper venue. 

I'll say for most Coen Brother movies I leave somewhat confused, and not really sure what I think.  On additional viewings, things seems to fall in place in my head better and I end up loving it. 

Edited by Tuco

rushmore.  I think for me it was because we tried watching it on a friday night in college when people were walking in and interrupting every two minutes.  we finally gave up on it and went out to logan's or something.  it wasn't until about a year later that I gave it another chance in an ideal watching setting that I got it.

Hate is prob too strong of a word, but I can think of a couple of movies I didn’t care for the first time I saw them - Anchorman and Stepbrothers.  Now they’re classics to me.

Yup, me too. I still don’t understand that phenomenon. How can it be bad the first time around then incredibly good thereafter?

20 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hate is prob too strong of a word, but I can think of a couple of movies I didn’t care for the first time I saw them - Anchorman and Stepbrothers.  Now they’re classics to me.

I’ll drop this motherfucker. 

The Big Lebowski 

to this day Fargo is my absolute favorite movie. it's a masterpiece, and at the time i had not seen any other Coen bros movies. 

i was totally disappointed in TBL on first viewing, had none of what i loved about Fargo.

watched it again about a year later... have probably seen it 50 times now. easily in my top 5.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

Road to Perdition.  I thought it was slow, melodramatic and had a weak ending.  Upon rewatch I saw this scene:

...and realized I am an idiot.  

yeah, and the ending was never weak

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

You were right the first time, it's pretty meh no matter where or when you watch it. 

Cross it off, then. You know, that movie ain’t so fuckin’ bad. 

Underdog, you just called a Top 10 comedy of all time meh. Blasphemer. 

I enjoyed Castaway with the exception of Helen Hunt.

I would rather achieve fatal intestinal gangrene by shoving a putrefied crab carcass up my ass than spend 4 solitary years whacking it to a photo of Helen fucking Hunt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1