Movies you hated that won you over

GhostOfTomJoad

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I didnt get starship troopers either.  Thought it was supposed to be taken straight so I hated everything that I didn’t realize was satire. the overly generic title, the overly aryan lead characters, the mindless tough guy motivations, the useless over the top ‘splosions, the camera emphasizing every wound.   

HOWEVA, I feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way now. Everyone feels like they have to say how great it is because they need to point out how they get it and that it is super subversive and predictive and a fascist mirror and whatever.  People can’t risk being seen as not smart enough to understand it. It’s still 2 hours of my life I lose when I watch it and I’m not entertained.  The same message could have been a 60 second clip with a bunch of dudes dressed in SS looking gear and showing an overly militaristic America.  

Dr Strangelove

Silent Hill

Breach

It's probably a requirement of good propaganda films to be really off-putting at first.  You only acknowledge the effective artistry after/if you get used to the initial argument.

Mama Mia, Love Actually, Eraserhead.

And Princess Bride. Saw that one in pieces at the infection doc in the waiting room after I stepped on a three prong cultivator and drove it through my second toe on my right foot and got a bone infection. Was wtf is this shit? Finally got to see it in its entirety and it was brilliant. Iocaine powder bitches.

Rocky Horror Pitcure Show, saw it at the Riverside Theatre in on of the first midnight showings of it (so early that the audience dressing up and acting out the movie had not started yet) and was what in the hell is this shit? Then saw it a couple of more times and realized it was brilliant. It's just a jump to the left. Sarandon's tits are a national treasure.

Lebowski. Total wtf first viewing. Nhilists pissing on rugs? white russians? Bowling? Guy in a wheelchair? Flying chick? Smashing a corvette outside a house with an iron lung in it? Genius movie on further viewings.

Zoolander. Zoolander2.

Gangbang Girls 14.

Starshit Troopers. Do you want to know more?

Harold and Kumar go to White castle.