Movies you hated that won you over

GhostOfTomJoad

A Few Good Men.

the Dawson saluting bullshit still irks me to this day, because it simply wouldn't happen.  No Marine is saluting anyone indoors without a cover on...to do so would be an act of disrespect.

Col Jessup would never have lost his bearing on the stand either, but hey it's a script, man...

The storyline is good, but I struggled with the Jarheads being portrayed as complete morons.

Now I can at least watch it without getting pissed off or rolling my eyes.  Hey, Kaffee finally grew a set of balls...how nice for a Navy man.

Edited by slorch

On 5/18/2018 at 8:23 AM, South Austin said:

I really didn't care for Field of Wet Dreams and On Golden Blonde at first, but they've grown on me.

I know right? After 50 or so viewings, I finally picked up on how even though the girls seemingly really enjoyed the promiscuity, they were feeling a real pain by carrying around baggage filled with low self-esteem and reliance on narcotics.

That hit me hard in my heart right after I cleaned off.

Starship Troopers. I whiffed on the satire and walked out of the movie.

Bottle Rocket. Overhyped in LA papers. I love it more everytime I see it. That's common with Anderson films for me. Royal Tennenbaums didn't work for me the first time I saw it.

Fargo. Disliked the first viewing, but that may have been due to an audience over-anxious to demonstrably laugh at everything.

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Fargo. Disliked the first viewing, but that may have been due to an audience over-anxious to demonstrably laugh at everything.

I remember seeing Fargo opening weekend at the old Arbor Cinema (if anyone remembers that place; now it's a Cheesecake Factory). I spent the first 15 years of my life in Minnesota and Fargo absolutely KILLED me, it so perfectly captured the characters. I swear I felt I was looking at relatives & neighbors I'd known all my life. And I was one of maybe 3 or 4 people in a packed theater who was laughing. When the film ended I was applauding & the rest of the audience seemed to walk out with a collective "what the fuck was that" reaction.

I don't know if this officially counts, but I never made it through the first Guardians of the Galaxy & never bothered with the second, but having watched Infinity War last weekend I'm intrigued enough by the characters to give it a second shot.

Princess Bride.  Cary Elwes is such a terrible actor, there was cheesiness everywhere...after I watched I couldn't stop telling everyone how it was the worst movie ever made.  

Now it's one of my favorites.  I don't know why it grew on me, it just did.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Dbeasy said:

Yup, me too. I still don’t understand that phenomenon. How can it be bad the first time around then incredibly good thereafter?

I figure the first time you watch a movie, you need to pay attention.  The 2nd, 3rd, 4th...you can kind of zone out through the boring or annoying parts. 

Who here likes American Beauty?  What about the parts with the daughter's awkward relationship with the neighbor? Yeah, tune that shit out and it's an enjoyable movie. 

I love American Beauty.  The drive through scene is an alltime classic.

Beef and cheese pot-pie on a stick...lolz.

i would agree that the neighbor boy and the relationship with his dad are weird as fuck. To your point, I just played along with the story until it got to some more dark comedy.

Edited by slorch

On 5/16/2018 at 8:30 PM, RPM said:

I'll second Cast Away. GF drug me to see it opening weekend and it was worse than I anticipated. Slept through about 1/3 of it. Now, I consider it a near masterpiece bit of film.

Ya, well, she slept through ALL of the sex you had with her after the film.

On 5/20/2018 at 2:41 PM, RomaVicta said:

Starship Troopers. I whiffed on the satire and walked out of the movie.

I didnt get starship troopers either.  Thought it was supposed to be taken straight so I hated everything that I didn’t realize was satire. the overly generic title, the overly aryan lead characters, the mindless tough guy motivations, the useless over the top ‘splosions, the camera emphasizing every wound.   

HOWEVA, I feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way now. Everyone feels like they have to say how great it is because they need to point out how they get it and that it is super subversive and predictive and a fascist mirror and whatever.  People can’t risk being seen as not smart enough to understand it. It’s still 2 hours of my life I lose when I watch it and I’m not entertained.  The same message could have been a 60 second clip with a bunch of dudes dressed in SS looking gear and showing an overly militaristic America.  

14 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I didnt get starship troopers either.  Thought it was supposed to be taken straight so I hated everything that I didn’t realize was satire. the overly generic title, the overly aryan lead characters, the mindless tough guy motivations, the useless over the top ‘splosions, the camera emphasizing every wound.   

HOWEVA, I feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way now. Everyone feels like they have to say how great it is because they need to point out how they get it and that it is super subversive and predictive and a fascist mirror and whatever.  People can’t risk being seen as not smart enough to understand it. It’s still 2 hours of my life I lose when I watch it and I’m not entertained.  The same message could have been a 60 second clip with a bunch of dudes dressed in SS looking gear and showing an overly militaristic America.  

I don't consider it anymore important than Robocop which is another nice exercise in satire. Neither are immortal, but both make me laugh. They both also manage nice action sequences.

Liking the movies or getting them should not be considered a badge of intellectual achievement. That's what makes me not getting Starship Troopers on the first go round both embarrassing and funny.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t say I hated it, just didn’t like it at first but The Sandlot has really grown on me.  

TV: The Sopranos.  DIdn’t much care for it in the beginning, wasn’t sure what it was trying to be, Dark comedy or drama?  It’s one of my favorite shows right up there with Cheers, Barney Miller, etc...

Big Lebowski -- didn't hate it, was just underwhelmed. But I think I just wasn't paying attention that closely the first time. Now it's an all-timer for me and I can probably quote it as well or better than any other movie.

Royal Tenenbaums -- again, didn't hate it, but because I loved Bottle Rocket and Rushmore so much, it felt like a let down. I still like the other two better, but RT is now a favorite.

19 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Do the Right Thing - Spike Lee

This is a good one, same for me.   I'd have to agree with others on The Big Lebowski.   Bored the shit out of me the first time for some reason.  who knows why.

Three Amigos is another.  Saw it in the theater and thought it was a snoozer.   Watched it again a couple of years later on VHS and I was howling.  No idea what was up with me the first time I saw it.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:01 AM, Tuco said:

I went to the first Naked Gun in the theater, and just didn't get in to it at all.  Then I watched it a bunch of times drunk in college.  I now realize that is the proper venue. 

I'll say for most Coen Brother movies I leave somewhat confused, and not really sure what I think.  On additional viewings, things seems to fall in place in my head better and I end up loving it. 

Agree on Coen Brothers. The Big Lebowski just gets better and better with each viewing.

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Same here but I'm not ashamed.    I didn't care for it the first time I saw it.   But now, I get it.  

Thirding it here.  I didn't hate it the first time, but to be honest it kind of bored me.  Upon a second viewing (and third, and countless more), I now "get it," and think it's one of the funniest movies ever made.  I feel similarly about O Brother, Where Art Thou?

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Same here but I'm not ashamed.    I didn't care for it the first time I saw it.   But now, I get it.  

Yep, bored me a bit the first couple times.  Same with Rushmore.  Now both are among my all time favorites. The Dude is the man in my opinion...

Had a similar thing happen with a band back in the day.  Bought Waiting for Columbus from a friend for $2 in jr. high cause he hated it.  I listened to it, and didn't dig it at all.  listened to it a couple more times and was in love with it after the fourth listening.  Still my favorite live album.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, bularry1 said:

Three Amigos is another.  Saw it in the theater and thought it was a snoozer.   Watched it again a couple of years later on VHS and I was howling.  No idea what was up with me the first time I saw it.

I think the answer is Martin Short. I always thought his characters were more annoying than funny so that overshadowed my opinion when it came out. Now I see Little Neddy Nederlander for the genius performance that it was.

I can say this about a lot of the Alien franchise films with the exception of Alien (one of the best sci fi films ever made) and Aliens.  I like them all now, even Alien 3 which I really hated.  I also feel that way about the 2 recent spinoffs-Prometheus and the most recent one.

I think the answer is Martin Short. I always thought his characters were more annoying than funny so that overshadowed my opinion when it came out. Now I see Little Neddy Nederlander for the genius performance that it was.

Martin Short has aged very well, in general. He’s been “the funny one” of the three for a long time now.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:40 PM, RomaVicta said:

I don't consider it anymore important than Robocop which is another nice exercise in satire. Neither are immortal, but both make me laugh. They both also manage nice action sequences.

Liking the movies or getting them should not be considered a badge of intellectual achievement. That's what makes me not getting Starship Troopers on the first go round both embarrassing and funny.

i'll buy that for a dollar.

robocop also has the best line: bitches, leave.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:39 PM, Native Horn said:

Napoleon Dynamite - the first time I saw it, I just flat out didn't get it.  Now I know almost every line.  Gosh!

Pretty good example for me too. I finally saw it on video long after the hype and everybody saying they loved it. I fucking hated it -- probably for that reason. I don't love it by any stretch but I definitely will stop to watch it if it comes on. Love Kip and Lafanduh -- and I use the line "Tina, eat your ham!" constantly when my dog doesn't immediately eat her food.

This will be a little different scenario. I got dragged to the theater to see DIE HARD back when I was in HS. My buddies picked the movie and I went along. I thought it was going to some terrible, cliched shoot-em-up in the vein of TANGO & CASH (has become a guilty pleasure of mine, BTW) but it's probably #1 on my list of all-time favorite action movies.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:16 AM, DocZaius said:

Thirding it here.  I didn't hate it the first time, but to be honest it kind of bored me.  Upon a second viewing (and third, and countless more), I now "get it," and think it's one of the funniest movies ever made.  I feel similarly about O Brother, Where Art Thou?

O Brother is one of the few movies that I laugh out loud at despite the fact that I know what's going to happen.