FS: 65" Panasonic SMART VIERA plasma TV

WithoutAClue

• 2 weeks later...

OP, you are asking too much. I sold my $1500 2011 60 inch ST30 for $150. Bought me the 2013 65 inch S60 for $200. The only plasmas thay can fetch $300+ are the final year models which matched the Kuros in terms of picture quality. Those are the 2013 VT60 and ZT60. 

I currently own the 2013 S60 and a Sony A80J. The Sony A80J is barely even better than my S60. Do not buy into the marketing of 4k, Dolby Vision, future proof, etc. I would use my S60 over the A80J in a heartbeat if only for one thing. Input lag. I game a lot and input lag is an important feature. 

However, HDR and Dolby vision is where you start seeing a larger leap in technological advancement. But there is hardly any content and is still in its infant stage. 

Plasmas is an amazing technology. It it just not cost effective. Plasmas has superb screen uniformity, superior motion, organic picture quality, wider viewing angles. The downsides are weight, heat, only 1080 vs 4k, line bleed, input lag for gamers. 

Plasma still holds up very well today. Especially if you mostly watch 1080p content. 4K is only slightly more better. You will not even see a difference if you sit more than "x" amount of feet from the tv.

Also, DO NOT BUY a tv this year. So many quality control issues have been problematic due to covid. 

Edited by Enemy07

On 11/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, phdhorn said:

I think plasma TVs have better color than some of the current ones but they're heavy as shit. I have one just like that then I gave to my daughter. Love that TV! Color is amazing on it. Great TV for the kids and games or whatever.

FWIW

Not great for gamers. Most of them have input lag of 2 or more frames (32ms or higher) and makes a lot of games feel sluggish. Of course, depending on how much a gamer your kids are, and how aware and advanced they are, they may/may not notice.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, WithoutAClue said:

I don't think plasma TVs age any worse than others. The picture on this one is great for 1080, it just isn't 4K. :(

Do you even need/watch a lot of 4k content? Do you sit close enough to your tv to notice? The gains are very minimal if you answered yes to both. 

21 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Not great for gamers. Most of them have input lag of 2 or more frames (32ms or higher) and makes a lot of games feel sluggish. Of course, depending on how much a gamer your kids are, and how aware and advanced they are, they may/may not notice.

Interesting... my kid's a very serious gamer, like in 20 gaming groups/collectives/whatever and she loves it, says no lag.

36 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Do you even need/watch a lot of 4k content? Do you sit close enough to your tv to notice? The gains are very minimal if you answered yes to both. 

With YouTube TV 4k, you are able to compare the HD feed to the 4k feed. 

You will only really notice if you start watching in 4k and switch to HD, but it clearly better.  Streaming TV, compression etc. 

UHDVD is a clear upgrade to Blu ray, but if you are watching a blue ray and someone says it’s 4k, it would be difficult to know without the direct comparison. 

*for reference, MLP/VP is 17 feet from the screen 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

53 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

With YouTube TV 4k, you are able to compare the HD feed to the 4k feed. 

You will only really notice if you start watching in 4k and switch to HD, but it clearly better.  Streaming TV, compression etc. 

UHDVD is a clear upgrade to Blu ray, but if you are watching a blue ray and someone says it’s 4k, it would be difficult to know without the direct comparison. 

*for reference, MLP/VP is 17 feet from the screen 

Yes, the difference in picture quality is noticable, but to me, its only marginal. I believe it boils down to usage, and of course, budget. 

The elderly that seen my tvs cant see the difference. Ha. Bless them. Its not as day and night as someone going from a tv thats black and white to a tv with color. Or 720p to 1080p. But I paid $2200 pre tax for the A80J and do not see a substantial gain in picture quality or anything innovative. I'll probably end up selling this one when the new tv lines come out in 2023 if the quality control issuez are fixed. 🤘