Rap and hip-hop from the 90’s

Goo Punch

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Deej said:

And this Herb Alpert sample is so smooth.

That entire CD was great.   Filled with great sample uses, tight rhymes and some great humor.   Love that they didnt take themselves so seriously.  Dres is still one of my favorites from that era

Edited by d2o
  • Like 4

Another great sample.  De la and Quest in particular had HEAVY deep jazz cut sample usage.    Pete Rock too.    Pos from De la is so fucking under-rated it pisses me off.   Dude is very easily a top 5 lyricist.

• Like 2

Man, that Buck Em Down.   I absolutely love that song.  Everything about it but especially then first 30 secs or so.   There are layers and layers of sounds added to the beat as it ramps up to Buckshot starting his verse.   It doesn't hurt that I always loved Wind Parade by Donald Byrd.    I also loved that they used two different parts of Wind Parade for the original (below) and the remix (posted above)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Something strange about the rights to early De La Soul, Three Feet High and Rising especially, but all of it.

Not on any of the streaming services, except as part of some "hits" compilation.  Videos regularly taken off youtube.

Yeah they have been fighting their old company, Tommy Boy for royalties for years.    I dont know all of the particulars but that is part of the reason most of their catalog is not on streaming services.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smuggs said:

There are over 70 samples on Three Feet High and Warner Bros is not interested in doing the legwork to get them cleared. It's bullshit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37020559

Oh wild.

The samples were cleared for "vinyl and cassette," but not for digital reproduction, so someone has to go get a digital rights clearance.  Some bad lawyering there, because CD was in full effect when it came out and that's usually sufficient to cover digital rights.

That's fucked up.

There was a point in my life where there were exactly two active artists from whom I'd buy an album without hearing a single second of it first-- the Black Crowes and the Black Sheep. Unfortunately the Black Sheep dicked around so long putting their second record out that I'm not sure I was even aware of it by the time it came out.

anyway-- a few contributions to the thread

this one was a little silly-- I don't hold it up as a great song/record or anything, but even today I can listen to this and it feels like I'm 17 and on my way to play pickup basketball

finally, the funniest fucking non-Geto Boy rap song of the era

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 2

So funny cause I had this happen to me.    Met a chick at a house party and thought she was nice.    Got her number, called her and picked her up for a date and WHOA!   In daylight she was NOT nice!!   Hahahahahhahaha   Black Sheep was hilarious

On 2/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, d2o said:

Another great sample.  De la and Quest in particular had HEAVY deep jazz cut sample usage.    Pete Rock too.    Pos from De la is so fucking under-rated it pisses me off.   Dude is very easily a top 5 lyricist.

Great album. Fucked up thing is that they didn't clear any of the samples, so it's now out of print and no label wants to deal with the headache of going back and paying for the samples. 

Edit: just saw the same discussion above about 3 ft high and rising. 

Edited by Mack Tripper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1