Rap and hip-hop from the 90’s

Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Great album. Fucked up thing is that they didn't clear any of the samples, so it's now out of print and no label wants to deal with the headache of going back and paying for the samples. 

Would that apply to a reprint of the CD?   That CD was long after they had all the trouble with sample clearance so they had to have those cleared for the CD, right?    A reprint would have to clear them again?    I still have my original CD.

All of their CDs have been great, both volumes of AOI, the Grind Date, even the story CD "First Serve" was great:

In the album the duo adopt the persona of "First Serve" a hip-hop band making it in the music industry in the late 1990s. Mercer takes the persona of "Jacob 'Pop Life' Barrow", and Jolicoeur takes the persona of "Deen Witter". The album details the fictional band making it in the music industry, their success, breakup, and eventual reformation.[2]

Edited by d2o

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

Would that apply to a reprint of the CD?   That CD was long after they had all the trouble with sample clearance so they had to have those cleared for the CD, right?    A reprint would have to clear them again?    I still have my original CD.

All of their CDs have been great, both volumes of AOI, the Grind Date, even the story CD "First Serve" was great:

In the album the duo adopt the persona of "First Serve" a hip-hop band making it in the music industry in the late 1990s. Mercer takes the persona of "Jacob 'Pop Life' Barrow", and Jolicoeur takes the persona of "Deen Witter". The album details the fictional band making it in the music industry, their success, breakup, and eventual reformation.[2]

My understanding is that over the years, as uncleared samples were discovered on various De La albums, a bunch of artists/composers filed claims for royalties against Tommy Boy and then later Warner Music in which they would received royalties based on CD, cassettes, and albums. The belief is that these contracts didn't include provisions for all other future media like streaming. Now that all the CDs, tapes, and records have been sold, Warner is essentially paying zero in royalties. If they were to license the De La catalog to Apple, Spotify, etc. it would likely require entering into new licensing agreements and also likely restart the three year limitations period for copyright infringement.  

39 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

My understanding is that over the years, as uncleared samples were discovered on various De La albums, a bunch of artists/composers filed claims for royalties against Tommy Boy and then later Warner Music in which they would received royalties based on CD, cassettes, and albums. The belief is that these contracts didn't include provisions for all other future media like streaming. Now that all the CDs, tapes, and records have been sold, Warner is essentially paying zero in royalties. If they were to license the De La catalog to Apple, Spotify, etc. it would likely require entering into new licensing agreements and also likely restart the three year limitations period for copyright infringement.  

No I get that part.   They cant do it digitally cause it wasn't agreed on in the original contract but can they just start reprinting CDs?   Not that many people buy CDs now

If the CDs go back in print, they have to start paying the licencors again under the old agreements and then go to artists/composers who don't have any such agreements and either try to get a compulsory license (which will likely be denied) or negotiate a license agreement or else risk getting sued. Copyright law sucks for hip hop artists. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A taste of what's in there

it's incredible how much good music was produced in this slice of place in time. Every track I listen to on this channel is better than the last, yet none of these people sniffed a whiff of commercial success 

Edited by CheesePie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

it's incredible how much good music was produced in this slice of place in time. Every track I listen to on this channel is better than the last, yet none of these people sniffed a whiff of commercial success 

Yeah, but main stream radio made sure that the majority of Americans ate a steady diet of MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and fucking Whoomp There It Is. 

It's a wash, really.

God there was an insane amount of GREAT rap during this time.   Forgot all about these guys.   Chip was MONSTER.   Dude was rapping backwards in another one of their songs.   The Phife cameo is just icing on the cake.

Edited by d2o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Released on December 15, 1998

I remember watching some random video of YouTube regarding this song. Apparently, Big Pun came into the studio to record his verse and he was apparently sauced off his ass. He dropped his verse in one take and then stumbled out of the studio drunk. Cam'Ron, Noreaga, and Canibus looked at each other dumbfounded at what they just witnessed. IIRC, Cam'Ron went back and edited his verse.

The same thing happened with Nas on the track below.

Released on September 1, 1998

I am telling you rap afficionados, Big Pun could have challenged for G.O.A.T. if he didn't die. Aggressive, yet sophisticated flow.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Figured some of the folks in this thread night appreciate this. Double K of People Under The Stairs passed away this weekend at 43. PUTS is an incredibly talented rap duo from LA that stayed true to the classic hip hop roots with refreshingly upbeat lyrics and beats built by hand on the turntables. I celebrate their entire catalogue. Acid Raindrops is one of my favorite rap songs of all time

RIP Double K.

https://www.complex.com/music/fans-mourn-the-death-of-people-under-the-stairs-double-k/

I don't think I've seen any Heltah Skeltah. Not the biggest album, but man I go back to this one all the time

This is my personal "Michael Bolton listening to gangsta rap and filing tps reports" #1 song

was really sad to see Sean Price died in his sleep several years back. love that guy. Rock is also the best at just repeating words, agreeing, and making scary noises

this is the first song of theirs that I really loved - from the moment I heard the line "fuck the world stick my dick in the dirt"

love these guys

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good news. De La Soul has reached an agreement with the music rights company that acquired Tommy Boy and their catalog will be on streaming services this year. I wonder if they will have to reproduce/master any songs to get rid of samples they couldn't clear. Hopefully not. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/de-la-sou-full-catalog-streaming-2021-1210513/

Edited by Mack Tripper
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
Good news. De La Soul has reached an agreement with the music rights company that acquired Tommy Boy and their catalog will be on streaming services this year. I wonder if they will have to reproduce/master any songs to get rid of samples they couldn't clear. Hopefully not. 
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/de-la-sou-full-catalog-streaming-2021-1210513/

Good question. I’d think the rights to the samples are still an issue. The re-recordings on the streaming services are generally awful.

Good question. I’d think the rights to the samples are still an issue. The re-recordings on the streaming services are generally awful.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:18 PM, Mack Tripper said:

If the CDs go back in print, they have to start paying the licencors again under the old agreements and then go to artists/composers who don't have any such agreements and either try to get a compulsory license (which will likely be denied) or negotiate a license agreement or else risk getting sued. Copyright law sucks for hip hop artists. 

Good analysis, I think you're correct.  The infringements from "old media" (CDs and such) have been settled and no new ones are printed/sold, so no liability for anyone.

Printing them again, or putting them on streaming would start up another round of infringements and more royalties to be paid, but not at "negotiated" or "streaming" rates, but instead as infringement damages, so probably considerably higher.

It sucks for DLS that Warner or whoever owns their rights won't enter into a new license for streaming.  I guess now that it's known that the samples are part of a popular and valuable collection of songs, the cost is prohibitive in light of the teeninsy streaming royalty.

I don't think it sucks anymore, as no one is naive enough to sample without clearance and I think clearance is now a subindustry in music licensing and pretty rote.  Probably even the most ignorant mixtaper caught the 2LiveCrew/Orbison case, which of course turned out in favor of the rappers, but certainly raised the issue.

Edited by TwiceHorn