Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

E.J. Holland: Highly touted OL Hayden Conner hoping for Texas offer

Hayden Conner is a member of the 2021 class, but he’s already a household name on the recruiting trail. The rising prospect out of Katy Taylor holds early offers from Kansas State, Miami, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Tulane and Wisconsin. Texas is starting to show interest in Conner and hosted him for its annual junior day weekend last month. “It was a good visit,” Conner said. “They said they want to get to know me more. They just want to build a relationship with me. They told me they want to get me back for a spring practice.” Conner added that his favorite part of the trip was spending time with new offensive line coach Herb Hand. “I got to know his backstory and kind of what he wanted to do recruiting wise,” Conner said. “He said he just wants to get to know me and build a relationship with me. He’s a good coach.”

Conner and Hand did not talk about an offer, but the two will be keeping in close contact moving forward. So what would a scholarship from the Longhorns mean to Conner? “It would mean a lot to get a Texas offer,” Conner said. “It would be awesome to have offers from Texas and Texas A&M. I definitely love the education at Teas. That stands out the most.” Conner is looking to make a return trip to Texas at some point this spring. At 6-foot-6, 298 pounds, Conner is not ranked at this time.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:00 PM, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Highly touted OL Hayden Conner hoping for Texas offer

Reveal hidden contents

Hayden Conner is a member of the 2021 class, but he’s already a household name on the recruiting trail. The rising prospect out of Katy Taylor holds early offers from Kansas State, Miami, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Tulane and Wisconsin. Texas is starting to show interest in Conner and hosted him for its annual junior day weekend last month. “It was a good visit,” Conner said. “They said they want to get to know me more. They just want to build a relationship with me. They told me they want to get me back for a spring practice.” Conner added that his favorite part of the trip was spending time with new offensive line coach Herb Hand. “I got to know his backstory and kind of what he wanted to do recruiting wise,” Conner said. “He said he just wants to get to know me and build a relationship with me. He’s a good coach.”

Conner and Hand did not talk about an offer, but the two will be keeping in close contact moving forward. So what would a scholarship from the Longhorns mean to Conner? “It would mean a lot to get a Texas offer,” Conner said. “It would be awesome to have offers from Texas and Texas A&M. I definitely love the education at Teas. That stands out the most.” Conner is looking to make a return trip to Texas at some point this spring. At 6-foot-6, 298 pounds, Conner is not ranked at this time.

https://247sports.com/Player/Hayden-Conner-84649

He's visiting next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aggy has offered another 2021 OT. 

https://247sports.com/player/erick-cade-46051698

That's 5 in-state and 1 OSS offer at OT for 2021. That's putting a lot of trust in the evaluations from The Marine. 

I get that you want a lead in these recruitments but I am not a huge fan of super early offers to the bigs. I'm one of those guys that wants a slot on OL and DL left for a very late riser/grower in every class with big guys, post-Senior season late.  I'd rather take a chance on a projectable body and a late bloomer with a lot of athleticism than a guy who flashed at 14 and hasn't changed much as a player since. 

• Like 1

IT on a couple spring game visitors

QB Dematrius Davis Jr., 2021: If you're dropping dimes in NRG Stadium as a freshman you probably have a bright future. Davis operates with poise and a level of execution beyond his years. The 5-10, 180 pounder already holds a Baylor offer.

ATH Shadrach Banks, 2021: No relation to Shabba Ranks. Banks is a tale of two halves. His upper body looks like that of a young wide receiver; his lower body looks like a senior safety. He wants to remain at wide receiver but I told him that may not be the case. Keeping in line with that, one North Shore coach said he may be in the mold of Jabrill Peppers as a do-it-all. Banks may be a safety long term, but he's so good with the ball in the hands you may tinker with him on offense. Or, he may just stay at wide receiver and be hell after the catch. Great change of direction and stop-start. He already holds offers from A&M, Tennessee, and others. Even though he's a freshman he's a safe offer because worse case scenario he's a very good defensive prospect.

Perroni says we're DOOMED (via LHF)

Brian Perroni 63211 posts
2 hours ago
VIP
Texas A&M has offered six in-state offensive tackle prospects in the class of 2019. The Aggies have only made three in-state offers at the position in the class of 2020. It is a bit surprising, then, that A&M has already offered five freshmen in the class of 2021.

Though offers are getting earlier and earlier each year, the Aggies have only handed out 10 in-state offers at this point to the class of 2021. Amazingly, half of those are to offensive tackles. The reasoning is not because there is necessarily a huge need, either. The reason is that the talent in that class at the position is already incredible. It has a chance to go down as one of best groups ever at any positions in the state.

By the time National Signing Day in Feb. 2021 rolls around, there will be a lot more four- and maybe even five-star names from the class that aren't even known yet. Some of those will be offensive tackles. However, less than a full academic year into their high school careers, a quintet of players have already garnered 33 total offers, including from the who's who of college football.

Two of those go to one school - Katy Taylor. Hayden Conner has been playing seven-on-seven ball with older prospects as a tight end for a couple years already and the 6-foot-5.5, 298-pound freshman made the move seamlessly to offensive tackle. He picked up his first offer from Miami before ever playing a down and now has six others, including from the Aggies. A&M has done very well at his school and all four very early Crystal Ball predictions have him as an Aggie.

Fellow Katy Taylor prospect Bryce Foster was offered by Georgia before ever playing a down of high school ball. The 6-foot-4.5, 290-pound freshman projects to tackle but played guard this past season as the Mustangs have Conner and rising senior Andrew Coker at the tackle spots. He will make the move outside as a junior. Foster holds a half dozen early offers, including four from the SEC. His Crystal Ball has two predictions each for A&M and Georgia.

This past summer, Richmond Foster offensive tackle Reuben Fatheree showed up for a Texas Southern camp, where the Ohio State and Texas coaches were also in attendance, and most people wondered why they had never seen the 6-foot-7, 272-pound prospect before. It was because he was just coming out of the eighth grade. Still, BYU had already offered. Now up to 286 pounds, Fatheree started at guard on a Foster team that made it to the fourth round of the Class 5A playoffs. He earned first-team all-district honors and will eventually move to tackle now that he has experience under his belt. Fatheree, whose dad is also the head coach of the Foster basketball team, averaged a double-double on the hardwood as well. He has the potential to be the state's top prospect in the class and has seven offers, including one from Baylor to play both sports. His lone Crystal Ball prediction is for A&M.

Donovan Jackson played at Houston Christian as a freshman this past season and the 6-foot-3.5, 286-pound tackle was incredibly impressive. He will be at Bellaire Episcopal next year and the Knights are getting a player that already has Power Five offers from A&M, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Tennessee. Though he is likely not done growing, Jackson is not as tall as most tackle prospects but he has very long arms and great feet. He could end up being a guard but he definitely has the ability to stay at tackle. He has three Crystal Ball predictions for A&M and one for LSU.

Denton Braswell is a brand new school that has only played two years of varsity football. The Bengals have a big-time prospect on their hands, though, as freshman Erick Cade picked up an A&M offer this week to go along with previous ones from Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Tulsa. Not many coaches have made their way to Braswell so you can bet the 6-foot-7, 290-pounder will see even more offers this spring. He anchored the left tackle spot for Braswell this past season. There are no Crystal Ball predictions for Cade just yet.

This quintet of prospects is likely to be joined by other highly sought-after players over the next three years. However, even if not, it is still a ridiculously talented class and all five could end up very, very high in the national rankings. And A&M is in good position to land at least four of the five

19 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is hilarious.  Just look at the top half of this page of picks.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TargetPredictions

I assume that 195-lb. DE predicted to end up an aggy has a lot of room to fill out. Otherwise, tough to see him contributing in the “hand in the dirt” league. 

Seeing all of the A&M cb picks for Bryce Foster is hilarious.  Talk about the Katy echo chamber.

He is a big UT fan and Hand fan - and he was pretty disappointed that he did not get an offer at the Spring game. He knows UT has offered other 2021 OLs.

If UT ever gets around to offering him (and I know that he is still a Freshman in HS), he will probably shut down his recruitment. Just don't wait too long...

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Seems like ridiculously early CBs are all the rage these days. Mike Roach just put one in for Preston Stone to Texas.

To give him (extremely minimal) credit, It's fucking weird to offer a QB, cornerstone of your class, this early as a school that is notoriously offer-stingy.

With his offers, dude must be the truth.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Seems like ridiculously early CBs are all the rage these days. Mike Roach just put one in for Preston Stone to Texas.

It's funny to see all them ones to aggy.  Just about all of those will change at some point.

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

To give him (extremely minimal) credit, It's fucking weird to offer a QB, cornerstone of your class, this early as a school that is notoriously offer-stingy.

Yea, he could be the next Zadock Dinklemann

I assume that 195-lb. DE predicted to end up an aggy has a lot of room to fill out. Otherwise, tough to see him contributing in the “hand in the dirt” league. 

He plays for my HS, may outgrow football. His dad is 6'8 or 6'9. 11 sacks as a true freshman for a team that won state.

Also, this:

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

When did we offer him?