Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Not sure I know why you’re so upset? Tbh I enjoy poaching aggy recruits and am enjoying the hell out of today’s events. I was merely catching up on this particular thread and came across this post from Wednesday and just found it funny. Sorry for pissing in your Cheerios. 

Ps fuckoff

maybe I should’ve highlighted the part I was referencing re: omeire. If so my bad

You’re making fun of another poster who had the guts to take a position- one that a lot of us agree with. At the same time, you didn’t take a position other than hindsight. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re making fun of another poster who had the guts to take a position- one that a lot of us agree with. At the same time, you didn’t take a position other than hindsight. 

Fair enough. My position is that I don’t like Omeire as a WR take so if the staff views him as a WR long term then I believe it’s a mistake. I’d rather either save the scholly or get one of the other WR targets we’ve been reported as pursuing. I’ve posted on another thread that he looks like a future TE to me. I wasn’t really upset when we lost this h2h to aggy but what the hell do I know. It’s obvious that the staff sees something in him though and it’s always a plus watching them bitch and moan.

44 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Are we mainly looking at Bowman as a DB?  I only ask because it's obvious the kid is an exceptional talent on both sides of the ball, but I feel like he could be more exceptional as a DB (a DB who returns punts, actually).

I bet he’s used how the Honeybadger was at LSU

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

He apparently grew up an LSU fan. There's always a couple each cycle in Texas.

I saw he is listed as 6'2" 250lb ILB as a high school junior. Is he projected to spin down or are coaches thinking that they can get him to drop weight between now and college?

IT

BROCKERMEYERS

The Class of 2021 offensive line has been a popular topic for some time and those battles, along with the ones along the defensive line, will define the cycle.

The talent is not unlike the 2018 defensive back class. In that cycle, UT had a great head start with five-star safety BJ Foster. In this class, UT has a great head start with Tommy and James Brockermeyer, the son of Longhorn great and first round NFL pick Blake Brockermeyer.

In the past I've belabored the point that they should not be taken for granted. The reason for that is Blake is putting his duties as a father ahead of his loyalties to a school. That's why they've taken so many trips, to not short the process. That, and I think Blake likes picking the brains of the best and brightest out there.

The good news for Texas is they can make a very compelling pitch and would be in the conversation even without the family's history (Blake's father, Kay, also played at UT).

There are some interesting factors in play we're not likely to see again. The twins' older brother Luke is on the team. Of course that offers unique insight into the program. They'll know UT much better than any other program. Blake also has access to advice and insight of NFL scouts he's kept in contact with. He knows that OU's Bill Bedenbaugh has the best reputation in NFL circles. OU isn't happening, so don't worry about that, but that's the type of homework they're doing. Unsurprisingly, Alabama also comes highly regarded. There doesn't seem to be an extensive book on Herb Hand yet, though scouts told Blake it doesn't really matter where you go provided they have good S&C and good players to practice against. Those two factors are positives for Texas.

Clemson was probably going to be UT's stiffest competition but they're still looking at the numbers and aren't sure if James is their guy at center. They're only taking three in their class. UT will take six. That will leave Alabama and Georgia as the toughest competition, but mainly Alabama.

Texas can't compete with where Alabama has been in the previous decade, but perhaps they can with where they're going. Obviously I still like UT's chances.

I'm still expecting a late spring decision but Tommy is already growing tired of the constant demands of being a five-star recruit.

MISC.
-- 2021 defensive end target Jordon Thomas from Port Arthur Memorial is also out for the year with a knee injury. He told me he's going to visit soon. When I asked him if A&M was still his top school, he said "they're in my top 3." UT is in it as well. He didn't clarify the third team. I think it's either LSU or Florida. He seems a bit indifferent towards recruiting at the moment. He says things are going well but he's in no hurry. This one could become a major battle between UT and A&M. It's a shame we won't have junior film.

-- 2021 XWR Jerand Bradley from John Paul II is having a productive season and showing good traits at 6-foot-5, 190 pounds. Ohio State recently requested his transcripts and contact information. We'll see if UT picks up the pace on him a bit or if they have their eyes elsewhere. There isn't an obvious "big" wide receiver take in the state. @Fuddy saying they should consider taking Loic Fouounji as a numbers buster in 2020 -- effectively trading a scholarship with yourself -- isn't a terrible idea. I doubt they'll do it, though, because with Troy Omeire they have a lot of X's, especially if Eagles makes the move next season.

LAKE MCREE

Though he’s not able to play, 2021 Lake Travis TE Lake McRee still is supporting his teammates. In addition, he’s noticed Texas’ recent run in his recruiting class.

IT: Since we talked, it’s been announced you won’t play this year due to a knee injury. How is the recovery process going?

LM: It’s going good. I’m about two weeks out of surgery. I’m starting rehab and starting to get my range of motion back, which is really good. I know it’s going to be a long road but I have to start somewhere obviously. Just slow and steady.

IT: When do you think you’ll be able to begin some sort of football related activities?

LM: I think around five-ish months, I’m going to try to start non-contact. I’ll wear a red (no-touch) jersey, get back to running routes and stuff like that. When it’s closer to nine months, that’s when I’ll be starting to do contact and going full on.

IT: Right now, you’re doing range of motion stuff and still working out upper body, etc.

LM: I’m really committing to upper body right now and getting my bench up because that’s honestly what I’ve wanted to focus on. I guess this gives me a better opportunity to do it as well.

IT: What’s your role been for Lake Travis off the field since you aren’t able to contribute on the field this year?

LM: I encourage the guys and help the ones who don’t have as much experience as others. Whether that be they’ve only played a few games or they’ve moved a position, I’m there to encourage them and I’m always there for them. For Hudson, I’m always there talking to him especially if we’re blowing them out 42-0. I’m a friend there to talk to him the rest of the game.

IT: You committed this summer, but you’ve been a Longhorn fan for a while. What are your impressions of the way the offense has started off this season, particularly the passing game?

LM: It’s obviously super fun to watch. I can’t wait to be a part of that.

IT: What do you think the momentum has been like for your 2021 recruiting class at Texas?

LM: I committed not too long ago and was the second one of the class. Then it just started coming in like a domino effect. It’s super fun to watch. It’s also really fun to get closer with those guys and build relationships.

IT: Who are you closest to right now?

LM: From not knowing them to being as close as I am right now, probably Jalen Milroe. He’s a good guy. He reached out to me and I saw him at the camp I was with him at. We started talking, exchanged numbers, social media, stuff like that. We’ve been talking through that and I think I’ve gotten really close with him.

IT: Can you speak a little bit to his recruiting ability?

LM: I think what really works like a charm is he makes it more than football. He tells you that it’s a brotherhood. I think that’s really what gets guys the most.

With No. 11 Texas winning, a lot of prospects felt the positive vibes throughout the air.

Trevion Sneed, Mineola LB/RB from 2021 was fired up:

“It was awesome,” Sneed replied. “My first Texas game. Unbelievable experience. I didn't get to talk much with players and coaches but it was a good experience.”

Sneed is being recruited as an athlete at Texas, with LB or RB a possibility.

• Like 1