Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

20 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Meekins exists to get info from HS coaches and to recruit blue collar Houston.

We have a position already responsible for getting info from HS coaches, and it is manned by Bob Shipley. Also, by the way, any coach worth a shit should be able to get info out of HS coaches, period. 

I'm not sure about "Blue Collar Houston." Dude was the coach at Westfield. It's not dripping cash like folks in Bellaire, but it's not exactly Texas City, either. Granted, that's not to say he doesn't have great contacts in Houston...but I'm also not sure that any decent coach worth his salt from Houston shouldn't be able to recruit all areas of Houston fairly well. Ed Oliver isn't on a roster Meekins is responsible for, so show me where he's paying dividends in Blue Collar Houston. 

Or perhaps it would be fair for to to expound on your statement: Meekins exist to get info from HS coaches and recruit blue collar houston; the question is whether or not he does either of these responsibilities worth a fucking shit, and whether or not we don't already have overlapping resources regarding HS coaching info which makes this part of his job requirement fucking redundant. How's that?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We a position already responsible for getting info from HS coaches, and it is manned by Bob Shipley. Also, by the way, any coach worth a shit should be able to get info out of HS coaches, period. 

I'm not sure about "Blue Collar Houston." Dude was the coach at Westfield. It's not dripping cash like folks in Bellaire, but it's not exactly Texas City, either. Granted, that's not to say he doesn't have great contacts in Houston...but I'm also not sure that any decent coach worth his salt from Houston shouldn't be able to recruit all areas of Houston fairly well. Ed Oliver isn't on a roster Meekins is responsible for, so show me where he's paying dividends in Blue Collar Houston. 

Meekins is in great shape for a soft landing onto that team. He'll be an asset for us working with Shipley.

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Meekins exists to get info from HS coaches and to recruit blue collar Houston.

That function alone is not useful enough to waste a position spot on, and Meekins also isn’t good enough at that function to be even close to worth it. We haven’t exactly been killing it in Houston in 2019 or 2020 and the success there in 2021 isn’t due to Meekins.

Just now, Goodman said:

Meekins is in great shape for a soft landing onto that team. He'll be an asset for us working with Shipley.

People have been saying this for 2 years now. "Oh, just bump Meekings into support staff." I have yet to see anything other than message board spinning of straw into fucking gold that this has even been something that has indicated this has been discussed, or that Meekins would even be open to the concept. For all we know, dude thinks he's the best coach on the staff and deserves to be moving up the college football ranks. Until I hear otherwise, this is a fucking pipe dream to me. 

Last I heard, at least the kids liked Meekins. Unlike Mehringer. 

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We have a position already responsible for getting info from HS coaches, and it is manned by Bob Shipley. Also, by the way, any coach worth a shit should be able to get info out of HS coaches, period. 

Or perhaps it would be fair for to to expound on your statement: Meekins exist to get info from HS coaches and recruit blue collar houston; the question is whether or not he does either of these responsibilities worth a fucking shit, and whether or not we don't already have overlapping resources regarding HS coaching info which makes this part of his job requirement fucking redundant. How's that?

Or more importantly, who has Texas signed out of the Houston area that was under recruited because of Meekins's connections to information. That is where the real value would come from.

So far I've come across Cosmi and Christian Jones.

Imo y'all are way too reactionary. Orlando is staying any tbh a lot of the blitzes y'all had problems with forced passes that should have been intercepted but weren't because we had a walk on RB and a third string true freshman as the main safeties. The changes that need to be made are fire Meh, Warehime, and Meekins and hire a new WR coach, a new TE coach, and another defensive coach for either one part of the DL or for LBs.  Ideally we get a rainmaker at TE to do what Drayton was supposed to do and get Samples back at WR to help us with Byrd and the rest of Dallas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Imo y'all are way too reactionary. Orlando is staying any tbh a lot of the blitzes y'all had problems with forced passes that should have been intercepted but weren't because we had a walk on RB and a third string true freshman as the main safeties. The changes that need to be made are fire Meh, Warehime, and Meekins and hire a new WR coach, a new TE coach, and another defensive coach for either one part of the DL or for LBs.  Ideally we get a rainmaker at TE to do what Drayton was supposed to do and get Samples back at WR to help us with Byrd and the rest of Dallas.

<CTJ Lambasting you bc you know nothing jon snow>

21 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

Why is nobody criticizing Washington and Naviar?  Our 4 and 5 star DBs don’t appear to be improving under their coaching.  They don’t turn around and look for the ball and seem to think just running up on the receiver is the way to defend the pass.  Educate me.

To early to give up.  Naivar has some studs at safety,  most of whom have been hurt and he has to play guys like Owens and Adimora who are just young and raw.  Jamison will be a stud before he leaves.  Naivar is good and Washington gets a one year pass.  

49 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

Why is nobody criticizing Washington and Naviar?  Our 4 and 5 star DBs don’t appear to be improving under their coaching.  They don’t turn around and look for the ball and seem to think just running up on the receiver is the way to defend the pass.  Educate me.

They've been broken and injured. Even when they've played they've been like 60%. Bad luck that I don't blame them for.

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

tumblr_phyq8hLTAf1u3abkpo1_250.gif

If you want to be depressed (and realize I'm correct) go watch TCU again. Watch Barber's circus catch against Owens in coverage. That was a bad pass that gets picked off by any of our top 5 or 6 safeties. That's the most obvious example but there are 3 or 4 others that I just stared at mouth agape as a blitzer is a half second late for a sack before Duggan throws a prayer that any of our two deep would have picked off by instead is caught for 20+ yards and a first. The one major issue Orlando needs to take care of his linebackers inability to keep contain of a running QB. If he can't coach up the talent to do that he should be fired.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If you want to be depressed (and realize I'm correct) go watch TCU again. Watch Barber's circus catch against Owens in coverage. That was a bad pass that gets picked off by any of our top 5 or 6 safeties. That's the most obvious example but there are 3 or 4 others that I just stared at mouth agape as a blitzer is a half second late for a sack before Duggan throws a prayer that any of our two deep would have picked off by instead is caught for 20+ yards and a first. The one major issue Orlando needs to take care of his linebackers inability to keep contain of a running QB. If he can't coach up the talent to do that he should be fired.

On the one hand, you might be right that one of our top guys makes a play on the ball that Owens gave up. 

On the other, maybe don't put your raw true freshman box safety in 1 on 1 coverage on a game-deciding play. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Like I said, Coach Fuckface isn't going to be only guy involved with the process, specifically because of the failures and obvious lack of qualification with the current staff. The AD is hearing non-stop shit from people about how poorly qualified the staff is and, frankly, the rebuttals aren't there and that's a big deal. 

Thank You!!!  🤘

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

. Unfortunately, he's a fucking idiot and will probably just stick with the clowns he has now..  Dipshit is going to have to rebalance his staff this offseason, unless Del Conte is totally dickless. Word is that Del Conte wouldn't dictate the "who" part of the staff, but definitely the "who not" and "where" parts will be part of the discussion. Herman isn't beloved within the AD, among the boosters, or by the administration. It's win or get the fuck out, and that's going to be apparent to him this offseason unless the dumbfuck somehow pulls off a 10-3/11-3 run to finish the season. 

Now we are talking...  😃

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

To early to give up.  Naivar has some studs at safety,  most of whom have been hurt and he has to play guys like Owens and Adimora who are just young and raw.  Jamison will be a stud before he leaves.  Naivar is good and Washington gets a one year pass.  

They both suck. Washington has been gifted a slew of athletes at the position and for some reason they are under delivering for the 3rd straight year. Same with the safety position. Washington and Naviar are G5 coaches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They both suck. Washington has been gifted a slew of athletes at the position and for some reason they are under delivering for the 3rd straight year. Same with the safety position. Washington and Naviar are G5 coaches.

He recruited that slew. The guy's been strong on the trail, which is half the reason this year's been a tougher road.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas needs a black WR coach. They need to shuck the two white WR coaches and join this world.....     In truth, Orlando, Warehime, Mehringer, and Meekins all need to be told to hit the fucking road, now, and the replacements need to be 1) the best, most qualified DC that money can buy, 2) an LB coach, 3) a WR coach that is black and 4) a TE coach that can also coach special teams and is a lights out recruiter.  Also, Casey Horny needs to be fired yesterday and get the fuck away from this program. Also also, Chris Ash needs to get out of Austin and never be brought back unless he's actively destroying an opposing staff by being part of it. That guy might have hired the worst P5 staff, ever, in Year One at Rutgers, and he left that place in smoldering ruin. Enough with hiring failures, bros, and fucktards and expecting success. 

Glad to see the lack of diversity of the Texas coaching staff finally being discussed.  Also agree with staff changes of "Orlando, Warehime, Mehringer, and Meekins all need to be told to hit the fucking road"...  Horny needs to leave too!!

Curious who might be DC's that folks think Herman should try to hire??

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Glad to see the lack of diversity of the Texas coaching staff finally being discussed.  Also agree with staff changes of "Orlando, Warehime, Mehringer, and Meekins all need to be told to hit the fucking road"...  Horny needs to leave too!!

Curious who might be DC's that folks think Herman should try to hire??

You can’t be that curious. You didn’t bold the question and you only used 2 question marks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Goodman said:

If you remove the OC title from Beck, he would qualify since he is our best recruiter. People think highly of Drayton but his personality is not ideal, he'll get credit for Bijan and look  great once Bijan tears it up here. Same with Wittington if ever healthy. I love Naivar and would love to see what his group can do under a top tier DC.

He's recruited well, but why the love for Naivar as a teacher? Brandon Jones hasn't markedly improved since Naivar got here, and Sterns was at his best when he had the least amount of coaching here. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

7 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Longhorns lose commitment from 2021 WR Quaydarius Davis

By MIKE ROACH 7 hours ago

The 2020 Texas class was hit with decommitments over the last few weeks. That trend extended to the 2021 class when Quaydarius Davis made a decision to decommit. The four-star Dallas Skyline wide receiver was the first commitment in the 2021 class and a key member of the Dallas to Austin movement.

Davis was won over when former assistant wide receiver coach Ra’Shaad Samples was on staff. Following his departure to SMU, Davis affirmed his commitment on several occasions but he was still looking to take visits and listening to other programs. The rise in prominence for SMU this season and their influence recruiting in Dallas had some effect into the situation.

Sources told Horns247 that Davis began to contemplate decommitting out of the blue over the weekend, and Davis tweeted that he made the decision after talking it over with his family.

Davis originally chose Texas over offers from Alabama, LSU, Florida, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Oregon, and Texas A&M. Davis was the third highest-ranked prospect among the 2021 Texas commits. Davis's decommitment drops the 2021 class to No. 4 nationally but the Longhorns retain the No. 1 spot in the Big 12.

This decommitment is the second for Davis after he previously defected from an early SMU commitment during the spring. Davis was primarily recruited by Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer in addition to Samples who was on staff during the time of his commitment.

The Longhorns will now look to go in a few different directions moving forward. The 2021 class is still young, and the state is deep in talent at the slot receiver position. The Longhorns are currently pursuing prospects like four-star Aledo WR JoJo Earle, four-star The Woodlands wide receiver Teddy Knox, four-star Allen wide receiver Bryson Green and four-star Allen wide receiver Blaine Green.

Davis profiled to a few different positions on the Texas depth chart. Originally he appeared to be a pure "z" prospect who lines up to the field side and pushes defenses vertically. His fluidity and quickness in space appeared to be a strong fit at the "H" position in the slot. Davis was seen as a dynamic playmaker who could spread out the middle of the field and do damage from different parts of the formation just like Texas senior wide receiver Devin Duvernay.

At 6-feet, 193 pounds, Davis is ranked as the No. 19 wide receiver in the nation and No. 15 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

The 2021 Texas class consists of four-star Denton Ryan ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders, four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe, four-star Denton Ryan ATH Billy Bowman, four-star Katy Taylor offensive tackle Hayden Conner, four-star New Caney outside linebacker Derrick Harris Jr., three-star Lake Travis tight end Lake McRee, and three-star Everman ATH Juan Davis.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Four-star-Skyline-wide-receiver-Quaydarius-Davis-decommits-from-Texas-138447829/