Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

19 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Not that it will happen in this instance, but are there any recent examples of a high-level recruit decommitting from a program then re-committing after some period of time?

Feel like it happens to aggy once a year.  Daylon Mack, Leon O'Neal, Bobby Brown, Quartney Davis, Buddy Johnson...

Edited by Chuckie Finster

On 11/24/2019 at 8:56 PM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Not that it will happen in this instance, but are there any recent examples of a high-level recruit decommitting from a program then re-committing after some period of time?

Uh, Bru McCoy took this to 11. So there's that.

Name escapes me but LSU has a really highly rated DT that committed in the fall of 18, decommitted in the spring, took a few visits, and committed again before this season started. So it happens. Wouldn't hold your breath though.

Edit: Worth nothing that Samples was noted as a big part of Davis's recruitment, and SMU (who he decomitted from originally) is in his top 10 again. So one can infer that 1.) Maybe he legit just doesn't have his mind made up and there's more of an opening than usual, and especially 2.) If someone slaps enough sense into Herman to fire Mehringer and get Samples back here, then there's a real shot at getting him back in the fold.

Edited by gmr548

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Uh, Bru McCoy took this to 11. So there's that.

Name escapes me but LSU has a really highly rated DT that committed in the fall of 18, decommitted in the spring, took a few visits, and committed again before this season started. So it happens. Wouldn't hold your breath though.

Edit: Worth nothing that Samples was noted as a big part of Davis's recruitment, and SMU (who he decomitted from originally) is in his top 10 again. So one can infer that 1.) Maybe he legit just doesn't have his mind made up and there's more of an opening than usual, and especially 2.) If someone slaps enough sense into Herman to fire Mehringer and get Samples back here, then there's a real shot at getting him back in the fold.

Theo Wease did it with OU

On 11/24/2019 at 8:56 PM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Didn't John Burt do this around January before signing day? 

The Stampede part 1 (2021 info)

Spoiler

Where Orlando’s loss might be felt most is in 2021. Both Derrick Harris and Billy Bowman expressed disappointment and shock following the news of Orlando’s firing. Both prospects said they remain committed, but Bowman in particular seemed to be hit hard by it. Texas will have time to smooth things over, and they will need to if they want to keep their 2021 core in-tact.

As for the rest of the 2021 group, they all seem pretty solid. Of course, the centerpiece of that group is quarterback commit Jalen Milroe. With Tim Beck still on staff, Milroe should be solid. Still, Tim Beck will be in contact to make sure nothing is amiss with the future signal-caller.

As far as uncommitted prospects in the 2021 class, the season hasn’t done much to help them. Over the past few weeks, I’ve gathered intel on a few high priority prospects and there hasn’t been a lot of good news.

A source near Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer told me that the season wasn't exactly helpful for their recruitment with Texas. Their brother Luke being on the team can be both positive and negative for Texas, and in times of turmoil, it certainly turned into a negative. Clemson and Alabama loom large in these recruitments, and LSU came on strong near the end of the year. In fact, I was told by sources near the Brockermeyers and on the LSU side that the Tigers made a huge impression on them. If they were making a decision today, I wouldn’t expect it to be the Longhorns.

You may have noticed that All Saints Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson picked up a few crystal ball picks for Ohio State. Jackson has family on his mother’s side originally from Ohio, and the Buckeyes have always been a major threat. In fact, Jackson’s mother keeps a buckeye in her purse at all times (I’ve seen it). Texas was in a strong position for Jackson as recently as a month ago, but their struggles on the field and Ohio State’s success appears to be causing some separation. I spoke to sources near Jackson this week who said that Ohio State is definitely near the top, but they aren’t sure of Jackson’s timing. Regardless, Texas needs to get back the momentum they were generating with Jackson throughout the fall.

Leading into the season, I would have put great odds on Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle being in the 2021 class. Texas had been recruiting him for quite a while and had a great fit for him at the slot. The struggles they endured this season and the success of LSU caused some pause for Earle. Texas still sits high on his list, but LSU is probably the team generating the most buzz right now. The Longhorns can still sell the production of Devin Duvernay, but LSU is a team to watch as they surge towards the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hide contents

Where Orlando’s loss might be felt most is in 2021. Both Derrick Harris and Billy Bowman expressed disappointment and shock following the news of Orlando’s firing. Both prospects said they remain committed, but Bowman in particular seemed to be hit hard by it. Texas will have time to smooth things over, and they will need to if they want to keep their 2021 core in-tact.

As for the rest of the 2021 group, they all seem pretty solid. Of course, the centerpiece of that group is quarterback commit Jalen Milroe. With Tim Beck still on staff, Milroe should be solid. Still, Tim Beck will be in contact to make sure nothing is amiss with the future signal-caller.

As far as uncommitted prospects in the 2021 class, the season hasn’t done much to help them. Over the past few weeks, I’ve gathered intel on a few high priority prospects and there hasn’t been a lot of good news.

A source near Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer told me that the season wasn't exactly helpful for their recruitment with Texas. Their brother Luke being on the team can be both positive and negative for Texas, and in times of turmoil, it certainly turned into a negative. Clemson and Alabama loom large in these recruitments, and LSU came on strong near the end of the year. In fact, I was told by sources near the Brockermeyers and on the LSU side that the Tigers made a huge impression on them. If they were making a decision today, I wouldn’t expect it to be the Longhorns.

You may have noticed that All Saints Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson picked up a few crystal ball picks for Ohio State. Jackson has family on his mother’s side originally from Ohio, and the Buckeyes have always been a major threat. In fact, Jackson’s mother keeps a buckeye in her purse at all times (I’ve seen it). Texas was in a strong position for Jackson as recently as a month ago, but their struggles on the field and Ohio State’s success appears to be causing some separation. I spoke to sources near Jackson this week who said that Ohio State is definitely near the top, but they aren’t sure of Jackson’s timing. Regardless, Texas needs to get back the momentum they were generating with Jackson throughout the fall.

Leading into the season, I would have put great odds on Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle being in the 2021 class. Texas had been recruiting him for quite a while and had a great fit for him at the slot. The struggles they endured this season and the success of LSU caused some pause for Earle. Texas still sits high on his list, but LSU is probably the team generating the most buzz right now. The Longhorns can still sell the production of Devin Duvernay, but LSU is a team to watch as they surge towards the playoffs.

Never thought of the Brockermeyers as LSU types. Clemson and Bama seemed more their speed culturally.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You know, I guess OP wasn’t real clear, but I’m pretty sure he meant a high level football recruit, not track. 

My bad, John Burt was only ranked 137 in the nation for composite. That is 42 spots lower than Quay.

Edited by rvm96

On 12/2/2019 at 8:53 AM, texifornia said:

Never thought of the Brockermeyers as LSU types. Clemson and Bama seemed more their speed culturally.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, RGBIII said:

Hide contents

Which 9.95 writes The Stampede?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Just lol if Texas manages to fuck up the Brockermeyer recruitments.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You've got this wrong, dude. Texas already fucked up their recruitments by being slap hitting pansies on the field and having an unlikable prick as a head coach. The question is whether or not Herman and a new staff can gaslight them into drinking the Kool Aid and coming back around.

For the record, Tom Herman makes his Kool Aid without sugar and the only flavors he ever uses are Green Apple and Peach Mango. So set your expectations accordingly. 

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

We need a big 2020 season to grab the other big time OL kids in the state. Tired of seeing tosu cherry pick kids.. ( I know, his momma is a bucknut and apparently keeps one in her purse)

Was talking to someone the other day about this, how many have they grabbed since they raped the state in 2017 (Dobbins, Browning, etc)

2018 -  top JUCO Dlineman, and a QB

2019 - Garrett Wilson

2020 so far - Smith-Njigba, Watt

----

2016 for follow up they had no one from the state of Texas recruited. Seems 2017 is the exception over the past 5 years. 2021 they have 16 offers out to Texas kids so could certainly be a trend heading back their way.

Looking at the states top 100 for the 2021 season I was surprised on how many time Arkansas popped up.

Edited by MoJames
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do you miss the halcyon days of months back when you repeatedly called anyone a pussy who suggested that none of those players were going anywhere but Texas? Gosh, I do. 

Are you still worried about A&M and Garth? 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Are you still worried about A&M and Garth? 

That's an outstanding attempt at deflection, but I don't remember ever being overly concerned about Garth. Someone will have to quote me to prove that I just don't remember. It must have been way, way back. 

I certainly remember the Brockermeyers and Broughton however. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's an outstanding attempt at deflection, but I don't remember ever being overly concerned about Garth. Someone will have to quote me to prove that I just don't remember. It must have been way, way back. 

I certainly remember the Brockermeyers and Broughton however. 

You're overly concerned about so many prospects you can't keep them straight

#satyacarton