Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong has an update on this kid on the 247 board if anyone has it.  Not sure where he ranks on the board with guys like Foster and Bijan's teammate.

Spoiler

Lexington (Ky.) Frederick Douglas Top247 2021 offensive lineman Jager Burton named a top seven of Texas, Oregon, Kentucky, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson late last week.

“I took all my main interest visits for games and I just really made a list of things that are most important to me and my family and every night I was in the hotel after those visits I looked down the list and I checked off the boxes for each school and the schools that had the most boxes checked made the list.

“I was planning to do a top three or top five but a lot of these schools checked all the boxes so my recruitment is 100 percent open. I’m not leaning anywhere right now, it’s just those seven schools.”

Burton says three schools are going to get an official visit in Penn State, Ohio State and Oregon, but added those dates aren’t locked in yet.

On the Nittany Lions: “Penn State, obviously their fanbase that’s a big thing for me,” Burton said. “Their fanbase is as good as it comes. I went to a noon game against Purdue and it was sold out. That was awesome to see. Also the coaching staff. They recently let go of their offensive line coach, Coach Limegrover, but I already had a relationship with the offensive line coach they hired because he offered me at Boston College. I don’t think that’s going to be an issue for me. I love the family-based atmosphere there. That’s a big thing for me. Feeling home away from home.”

On the Buckeyes: “That’s an elite program obviously. Just having an opportunity to play at a school like that and them to tell you you’re important to the class coming in. A big thing, I got to hang out with a lot of the other recruits coming in for the Penn State game like Ben (Christman) and Paris (Johnson). I hadn’t got an opportunity to do that at a lot of other places. Just knowing guys being there that I enjoy being around is a big thing.”

On the Ducks: “Oregon has always been a dream school for me since I was little. I always wanted to go there. Getting out there and seeing all the stuff I’ve been watching in videos was a surreal experience. It’s an offensive line school. Their head coach is an offensive line coach and Coach Mirabel is a great dude too.”

Burton says he visits Kentucky “whenever I’m able to go and allowed to go” and says he’ll also give the local program an official visit.

“That’s home for me,” Burton continued. “I grew up watching Kentucky and going to Kentucky games. They’re really on the up right now. The recruiting classes they’re bringing in, plus what they’ve done right now with the guys they got, and a lot of those guys are coming back, it’s a testament to Coach (Mark) Stoops staff. They know what they’re doing.”

That leaves one remaining official, as things stand now, for Alabama, Clemson and Texas. Burton would like to get back to some of these schools with an unofficial as well.

On the Crimson Tide: “That’s the mecca of college football. Coach (Nick) Saban, getting to talk to him and hearing how he talks about football, obviously he knows what he’s talking about. Then Coach (Kyle) Flood, I’ve been building a relationship with him before I went to camp and got my offer.

On the Tigers: “Obviously (teammate) Walker (Parks) is going to Clemson. He’s my best friend. The Christ aspect of Clemson is a big aspect to me, how they revolve around a Christian center. Coach (Dabo) Swinney and Coach (Jim) Caldwell, been building a great relationship with them as well.”

On the Longhorns: “Texas is another school you grow up watching and dream about playing there. Austin is a great place. The campus is one of the prettiest I’ve been to. I’ve continued building a relationship with the coaches there too. They’ve lost some coaches and I’m eager to get down there and meet the coaches that replaced the coaches I knew and see how the coaching situation works out.”

The 247Sports Composite tabs Burton as the No. 1 recruit in Kentucky, No. 5 offensive guard in the country and No. 183 prospect overall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

Lexington (Ky.) Frederick Douglas Top247 2021 offensive lineman Jager Burton named a top seven of Texas, Oregon, Kentucky, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson late last week.

“I took all my main interest visits for games and I just really made a list of things that are most important to me and my family and every night I was in the hotel after those visits I looked down the list and I checked off the boxes for each school and the schools that had the most boxes checked made the list.

“I was planning to do a top three or top five but a lot of these schools checked all the boxes so my recruitment is 100 percent open. I’m not leaning anywhere right now, it’s just those seven schools.”

Burton says three schools are going to get an official visit in Penn State, Ohio State and Oregon, but added those dates aren’t locked in yet.

On the Nittany Lions: “Penn State, obviously their fanbase that’s a big thing for me,” Burton said. “Their fanbase is as good as it comes. I went to a noon game against Purdue and it was sold out. That was awesome to see. Also the coaching staff. They recently let go of their offensive line coach, Coach Limegrover, but I already had a relationship with the offensive line coach they hired because he offered me at Boston College. I don’t think that’s going to be an issue for me. I love the family-based atmosphere there. That’s a big thing for me. Feeling home away from home.”

On the Buckeyes: “That’s an elite program obviously. Just having an opportunity to play at a school like that and them to tell you you’re important to the class coming in. A big thing, I got to hang out with a lot of the other recruits coming in for the Penn State game like Ben (Christman) and Paris (Johnson). I hadn’t got an opportunity to do that at a lot of other places. Just knowing guys being there that I enjoy being around is a big thing.”

On the Ducks: “Oregon has always been a dream school for me since I was little. I always wanted to go there. Getting out there and seeing all the stuff I’ve been watching in videos was a surreal experience. It’s an offensive line school. Their head coach is an offensive line coach and Coach Mirabel is a great dude too.”

Burton says he visits Kentucky “whenever I’m able to go and allowed to go” and says he’ll also give the local program an official visit.

“That’s home for me,” Burton continued. “I grew up watching Kentucky and going to Kentucky games. They’re really on the up right now. The recruiting classes they’re bringing in, plus what they’ve done right now with the guys they got, and a lot of those guys are coming back, it’s a testament to Coach (Mark) Stoops staff. They know what they’re doing.”

That leaves one remaining official, as things stand now, for Alabama, Clemson and Texas. Burton would like to get back to some of these schools with an unofficial as well.

On the Crimson Tide: “That’s the mecca of college football. Coach (Nick) Saban, getting to talk to him and hearing how he talks about football, obviously he knows what he’s talking about. Then Coach (Kyle) Flood, I’ve been building a relationship with him before I went to camp and got my offer.

On the Tigers: “Obviously (teammate) Walker (Parks) is going to Clemson. He’s my best friend. The Christ aspect of Clemson is a big aspect to me, how they revolve around a Christian center. Coach (Dabo) Swinney and Coach (Jim) Caldwell, been building a great relationship with them as well.”

On the Longhorns: “Texas is another school you grow up watching and dream about playing there. Austin is a great place. The campus is one of the prettiest I’ve been to. I’ve continued building a relationship with the coaches there too. They’ve lost some coaches and I’m eager to get down there and meet the coaches that replaced the coaches I knew and see how the coaching situation works out.”

The 247Sports Composite tabs Burton as the No. 1 recruit in Kentucky, No. 5 offensive guard in the country and No. 183 prospect overall.

Welp, the one time I'm in the area of a Texas target and he lives on the opposite side of town. On social media we have 2 degrees of separation. KY will definitely be a big pull, especially considering their success recently. KY hasn't done all that much, but compared to their historical performance, they're soaring and most in the area are thrilled. 

7 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Welp, the one time I'm in the area of a Texas target and he lives on the opposite side of town. On social media we have 2 degrees of separation. KY will definitely be a big pull, especially considering their success recently. KY hasn't done all that much, but compared to their historical performance, they're soaring and most in the area are thrilled. 

Rondale Moore didn't live too far away from the area this recruit lives in

8 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Yeah, he's from the Louisville area, which might as well be another country. Still part of the Baltimore/DC MSA though.

I was just saying he was from the same region. I didn't know people considered an hour away that far. 

2 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

I have a buddy SMU Alumni who is gloating like fuck about Stone. I know we have Milroe but what’s the deal with a kid being that highly rated with so many blue blood offers and choosing SMU?

Those Blue Blood offers probably aren't commitable any longer. Sort of like all those Longhorn hats you saw on the table at certain all star games where the dude didn't have a scholarship to play at Texas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexanTraveling said:

So there is no real story? He switched schools and is still a .97 but nobody wants him for no reason?

It's not no reason. He transferred out of his HS into shitty private competition because he couldn't get a starting job as a Freshman or Sophomore, like a child, and he's been dropping in the ratings a bit. Many anticipate a much larger drop moving forward. The working theory, supported by his actions, is that he was comfortable committing to SMU because he knew he'd be able to start without any competition (similar to HS) and that suited ole' Preston just fine. 

Since you're clearly new here and most likely just passing through, I'll give a recent analog. Despite wining a State Championship last year for Longview and being a top 50 player in the country, no one but aTm and Tenn wanted Haynes King, and aTm only wanted him after their other targets spurned them and they were desperate. 

Zachary Evans is a top 5 talent in the country and Georgia literally didn't send in his LOI paperwork because they decided he wasn't worth the effort. Those kids are Seniors. Stone is a fucking Junior, with plenty of time to get passed up or drop in the rankings, and considering his weak competition it's unlikely he'll move back up. 

But don't take our word for it, you're better off just listening to your SMU buddy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

So there is no real story? He switched schools and is still a .97 but nobody wants him for no reason?

Considering he transferred to a private school so he could start early and has an 80 grade helicopter dad, there's a concern that he'd transfer if he's not starting by year two, so for many schools, that's a wasted scholarship. Plus he plays against terrible competition. So SMU makes sense for him on both counts. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not no reason. He transferred out of his HS into shitty private competition because he couldn't get a starting job as a Freshman or Sophomore, like a child, and he's been dropping in the ratings a bit. Many anticipate a much larger drop moving forward. The working theory, supported by his actions, is that he was comfortable committing to SMU because he knew he'd be able to start without any competition (similar to HS) and that suited ole' Preston just fine. 

Since you're clearly new here and most likely just passing through, I'll give a recent analog. Despite wining a State Championship last year for Longview and being a top 50 player in the country, no one but aTm and Tenn wanted Haynes King, and aTm only wanted him after their other targets spurned them and they were desperate. 

Zachary Evans is a top 5 talent in the country and Georgia literally didn't send in his LOI paperwork because they decided he wasn't worth the effort. Those kids are Seniors. Stone is a fucking Junior, with plenty of time to get passed up or drop in the rankings, and considering his weak competition it's unlikely he'll move back up. 

But don't take our word for it, you're better off just listening to your SMU buddy. 

I lurk the shit out of the recruiting threads. Just didn’t know what I was missing. Knew he went from HP to Epis. Thanks for the detailed response. 

Confirmed Elite Day attendees (IT)

OL Tommy Brockermeyer, FW All Saints
OL James Brockermeyer, FW All Saints
ATH Billy Bowman Jr, Denton Ryan (TEXAS)
DE/OLB Ja’Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan (TEXAS)
WR Quay Davis, Dallas Skyline
LB Terrence Cooks, Alvin Shadow Creek
LB Derrick Harris, New Caney (TEXAS)
DE/OLB Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove
WR Teddy Knox, Woodlands
DL Shemar Turner, Desoto

Shemar Turner has been added

https://247sports.com/Article/21-DE-Landon-Jackson-has-pair-of-SEC-schools-on-him-hardest-with-LSU-and-Texas-AM-looking-good-early--141796492/?fbclid=IwAR1lPT4O37r_JIdkX76Fhf340l-cg57rEQKA9a3Sdt04ZfNJbu4rUVukjEk

Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove junior defensive end Landon Jackson is one of the top prospects in the 2021 class.

We had a chance to see Jackson over the weekend at the Under Armour Future 50 camp and he impressed. He was very good in the one on one pass rushing drills and when combined with his junior tape, it’s easy to see why he’s a national recruit.

At 6-6, 240 pounds, he has a long frame with plenty of room to put on as much weight as needed. He’s a natural pass rusher who can get around the edge, plays with a high motor and is just tough, physical football player.

“This has been a great experience,” Jackson told us during media check in Orlando over the weekend. “I’ve really enjoyed this opportunity to be around some of the players, the great hotel and the gear. It has been a great time and I’m really excited about the opportunity.”

Jackson said he has already committed to playing in the 2021 Under Armour Game. As for his college decision, there are a handful of schools he said he’s focusing on.

“The main schools I’m talking with are Texas A&M, LSU, Texas, Alabama, Washington, Ohio State and a few others,” Jackson said. “There’s probably about 10 schools I’m looking at but I’m talking the most with LSU and Texas A&M.

“I have a great relationship with those coaching staffs and talk to them both about three or four times a week. I know them really well and have a strong comfort level with the staff so that’s what kind of separate them from the rest of the schools right now.”

Jackson got a little more specific about each program and also talked about potential spring official visits.

“With A&M, I’m close with coach Price, the DL coach,” Jackson said. “He’s a great guy and a great coach. My dad played basketball at A&M and I like coach Fisher a lot too and have a good relationship with him. The scheme fits me as well and I like how they use their defensive ends. They get up the field and rush the passer and play the run as well.

“With LSU, I enjoy watching them play, that’s a winning program that’s competing for a Championship. Coach O (Orgeron) is recruiting me hard and I can tell how much he wants me. I would fit in well with their scheme too. I would play with my hand down as a defensive end but also some five-tech too.

“I’m planning to visit LSU in late January or early February and then I’ll visit A&M again as well. I’m going to officially visit both of those schools this spring and I plan to visit Ohio State too. I want to try and take all five official trips in the Spring so I can make a commitment sometime early in my season.”

Jackson said Texas and Notre Dame are two other schools he could visit.

“I liked Texas a lot growing up,” Jackson said. “They’re moving to a four man front with their new DC and that’s big for me. I was on them heavy early, then they faded a little in the spring but with them bringing back four-man front, I’m liking them a lot again.

“I already visited Notre Dame and they want to get me on campus again this spring. I’m interested in them for sure and just building the relationship and the big thing is just seeing how I fit in their defense, how they plan to use me. With all the schools, just being how I’m going to be used in their defense is a big part of my decision and of course where I’m most comfortable.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

This seems like our version of Alfred Collins. What’s the opposite version of the Calculator? It ain’t happening.