Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, he went to Oak Ridge, and Montgomery County is definitely aggy country, so...

Right, like his family isn't aggy (what Nigerian moves back to the homeland to have kids?), but he was raised in the maroon wastelands as a fan. Not as deep of a connection.

Edited by texifornia

Right. Point being that Landon Jackson comes from an Aggy family, and Alfred Collins comes from a UT family, so the comparison to "not giving up on Ossai" doesn't quite fit. Not suggesting we concede Jackson. Just that it's more complicated than what we were facing with Ossai. 

9 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I read that in the voice of Tex, the Telephone Enrollment Exchange for the University of Texas.

That was better than walking around in circles in the Erwin center only to keep ending back up at the Slavic languages table because that was the only one with classes still available.  

247 / Roach

Shadsman15 said... (original post)which 2021 prospects is Texas in the best spot for right now?

Roach ... Would depend on how you classify it but I like where things stand with the following:

LJ Johnson

Jonathan Brooks

Quay Davis

JoJo Earle

Terrence Cooks

JD Coffey

247 / Roach

Shadsman15 said... (original post)Any 2021 prospects that could be heavily influenced by certain potential new staff members?

Mike Roach ...
If Emmett Jones were hired, I think Texas would be heavy leaders for Savion Byrd, Camar Wheaton, and Quay Davis.

Think Texas is the leader for Quay and Byrd even without Jones, although perhaps he'd move them closer to the "lock" range. Not sure if anyone should be considered a lock though with Herman on the hot seat. Obviously landing Wheaton would be great, but he's more of a wildcard

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

Obviously landing Wheaton would be great, but he's more of a wildcard

CTJ posted about the Wheaton recruitment recently with the gist of "this will be like Zach Evans, but for entirely different reasons". 9.95ers are also alluding to what to expect including choosing to sit out of practice to "rest his feet", and other primo uomo shenanigans. 

If we really are in good position with LJ Johnson, we should close that quickly and focus on finding a versatile RB2. Wasting time on Wheaton when he's likely not a culture fit anyway, nor is the talent considered transcendent, would be a mistake.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

CTJ posted about the Wheaton recruitment recently with the gist of "this will be like Zach Evans, but for entirely different reasons". 9.95ers are also alluding to what to expect including choosing to sit out of practice to "rest his feet", and other primo uomo shenanigans. 

If we really are in good position with LJ Johnson, we should close that quickly and focus on finding a versatile RB2. Wasting time on Wheaton when he's likely not a culture fit anyway, nor is the talent considered transcendent, would be a mistake.

I took this as a joke because one poster said he looks like he's 34 

Assuming we don't take a second RB in 2020, I think you take one RB you really like out of the LJ Johnston, Brandon Campbell, Jonathan Books, Cam'Ron Valdez, OOS kids, etc. with shorter timelines group to fill the need, and then go after Wheaton until it's made clear that Texas isn't landing him

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

I took this as a joke because one poster said he looks like he's 34 

Assuming we don't take a second RB in 2020, I think you take one RB you really like out of the LJ Johnston, Brandon Campbell, Jonathan Books, Cam'Ron Valdez, OOS kids, etc. with shorter timelines group to fill the need, and then go after Wheaton until it's made clear that Texas isn't landing him

What do you think of Bradford?

(Edit: Regarding ability and fit as an RB2 in this class, with Bijan, etc. - not about likelihood of getting him.)

(After saying for weeks that we would get him if we offered him, Roach says in passing that they found out that he had already been offered a while ago, but since Bradford's quiet on social media, no one knew ... )

Edited by Getafix

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Edit: Regarding ability and fit as an RB2 in this class, with Bijan, etc. - not about likelihood of getting him.)

(After saying for weeks that we would get him if we offered him, Roach says in passing that they found out that he had already been offered a while ago, but since Bradford's quiet on social media, no one knew ... )

In his junior hudl, he looked really explosive but was running through mostly wide open holes, and when he wasn't, he didn't show great elusiveness, vision, power, or instincts; basically, looked like an athlete with a good speed/size combo. He looks less explosive his senior year, but looks more running back ish than just an athlete running through holes. Kind of looks like a Baylor running back from the past ten years. I'd take him as a RB2 if he checks out mentally (mainly being ok not starting for a few years)

Tough to beat out LSU if they're targeting him as their RB1 for the class though 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

That all really was peak Roach.

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

In his junior hudl, he looked really explosive but was running through mostly wide open holes, and when he wasn't, he didn't show great elusiveness, vision, power, or instincts; basically, looked like an athlete with a good speed/size combo. He looks less explosive his senior year, but looks more running back ish than just an athlete running through holes. Kind of looks like a Baylor running back from the past ten years. I'd take him as a RB2 if he checks out mentally (mainly being ok not starting for a few years)

Tough to beat out LSU if they're targeting him as their RB1 for the class though 

Appreciate the response, thanks.

Ha ha ha ha .... 

MikeRoach avatar
BigTex2152 said... (original post)4 times the question about Stan leaving on how it will effect Bijan. Can we get some kind of answer please.

MikeRoach
The answer is, I don't have one right now. Drayton staying was a big part of the reason the kid signed, but I'm not going to reach out and spook him until we know something for good.

28 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

Not sure where to post but from Spurstalk

The Football Brainiacs are expecting Rutgers' Jay Valai to be the next CBs coach at UT.

RIP SydneyCarton. There’s no way CTJ lets you survive this. Sorry, it will be a heinous death.

*At least the dude isn’t white.

He's more experienced than that other young black coach from Dallas everyone keeps bonerizing over.

It looks like Georgia was sad to see him go and hoped to bring him back when he took the Rutgers gig. He held together Kirby's transition class in Athens as a coach on the road, players and recruits loved him. He snapped up Tommy Bush out of Schertz for UGA. This should be a great hire, exceptional if he's a + teacher which he should be since he owns and ran a fucking training center in Colleyville. I have no idea why he took that Rutgers job other than to work with Ash, but it's certainly not going to sway my opinion that this would be, at minimum, a great hire.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's more experienced than that other young black coach from Dallas everyone keeps bonerizing over.

It looks like Georgia was sad to see him go and hoped to bring him back when he took the Rutgers gig. He held together Kirby's transition class in Athens as a coach on the road, players and recruits loved him. He snapped up Tommy Bush out of Schertz for UGA. This should be a great hire, exceptional if he's a + teacher which he should be since he owns and ran a fucking training center in Colleyville. I have no idea why he took that Rutgers job other than to work with Ash, but it's certainly not going to sway my opinion that this would be, at minimum, a great hire.

He should be a plus teacher because he owned a training facility for a spell? Shit, by that notion let’s hire footwork king, he must be a plus plus plus teacher. 

• Like 1