Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not misleading. Removing all culpability for the outcomes is specious and you fucking know it. Valai was fired at both places because he moored himself to sinking ships and couldn't help them stop taking on water. There is no fucking need for nuance. No one dial-ed up the lawyer hotline and asked for hairsplitting over why the fucking guy has been shitcanned 3 times in 4 years. It speaks for itself.

Granted placing all culpability for the outcomes on Valai is specious and you fucking know it.

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Granted placing all culpability for the outcomes on Valai is specious and you fucking know it.

This is silly tautology. I didn't claim an analyst or a position coach was responsible for entire failed defensive units. It's just a fucking stupid post. No one short of a child, a retard, or you looked at my posts and thought "is this guy blaming entire defensive failures on a quality control coach or cornerbacks coach? Well, I'll be. That mean son of a bitch."

Talented coaches are able to retain their jobs when their superiors are fired all the time. See Herb Hand, Stan Drayton, and (checks for accuracy) Oscar Giles (?). If a coach is talented but was stuck working for a failed coordinator, the HC or decision makers can and will find room to retain the individual. While Valai isn't culpable for the defensive units' failures at Rutgers or KC, he apparently didn't show enough to be retained. I wouldn't say he was fired. But we can infer that he didn't excel. The University of Texas with its "fuck you money" should be exclusively evaluating coaches who have excelled in their previous jobs.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is silly tautology. I didn't claim an analyst or a position coach was responsible for entire failed defensive units. It's just a fucking stupid post. No one short of a child, a retard, or you looked at my posts and thought "is this guy blaming entire defensive failures on a quality control coach or cornerbacks coach? Well, I'll be. That mean son of a bitch."

Your post was misleading, as they can be when you try to play with absolutes. Nice disparaging post though, adds quite a bit. 

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Hey all you motherfuckers that are going bananas over the position coaching search timelines - you guys know that the AFCA convention is in 2 days, right? I know that ESD has seemed to change things a bit in terms of public timetable but the reality for coaches is that guys searching for jobs and coaches hiring the convention is where shit gets done. I understand that everyone wants Herman to pick from a rolodex of guys at each spot and hour before he fired each of the previous coaches, but to be honest - the position coaches should be being picked by Yurcich and Ash and approved/vetoed by Herman. The convention has always been the place that shit gets done and before you even stammer about Arkansas' staff being full or whatever - take a look at their class vs. our current class and realize that there's a huge need for Pittman to get a staff in place and get them on the road. The huge need at Texas is to find guys that can develop the talent in house and that can work together to not only create more effective gameplans but communicate bidirectionally when they see things happening during the game that can give a competitive edge. IDGAF where they were they coached or who they are if they can stand up for themselves and say "fuck that shit". Too many of the guys on staff the past 2 years knew the problems and wouldn't tell Orlando "fuck that shit". 

I know there's a great gnashing of teeth and taste of bile from the 2019 season is still fresh. Trust me, I fully fucking understand. That season was fucking bullshit but to this point Herman has done most of what everyone on surly has wished for (outside of me with that shitfuck Drayton, but there is hope - however dangerous that is). Meh is gone. Beck is gone. Orlando is gone. Meekins is moved to non-coaching role where he can still provide some recruiting help. Warehime is gone. There were a multitude of posts saying that Herman would never make those changes. He did and so now the focus is on the "comfort hire" or lack of expediency with position coach hires. Fuck both of those ideas. I don't know if any of the hires will work but I can tell you that the Ohio State team that featured Herman and Ash as OC and DC certainly looked well coached and schemed. I also know that if Orlando would've just played motherfucking base defense for the entire season with nary a single blitz - the Longhorns probably win 9. I fully expect the 2020 team to be markedly better simply by playing a much simpler brand of defense. That alone will change the scope of the W/L total, imo. Not pumping sunshine just Occam's Razor. 

Recruiting related because recruiting is about relationships and hiring position coaches last week or in two weeks changes next to nothing in the scope of closing out the 2020 class - which is largely complete. The pieces in play are being recruited by Herman, the coordinators and the position coaches still on staff that have relationships with them. 

I think you’re just in a good mood because Drayton’s likely leaving.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Hey all you motherfuckers that are going bananas over the position coaching search timelines - you guys know that the AFCA convention is in 2 days, right? I know that ESD has seemed to change things a bit in terms of public timetable but the reality for coaches is that guys searching for jobs and coaches hiring the convention is where shit gets done. I understand that everyone wants Herman to pick from a rolodex of guys at each spot and hour before he fired each of the previous coaches, but to be honest - the position coaches should be being picked by Yurcich and Ash and approved/vetoed by Herman. The convention has always been the place that shit gets done and before you even stammer about Arkansas' staff being full or whatever - take a look at their class vs. our current class and realize that there's a huge need for Pittman to get a staff in place and get them on the road. The huge need at Texas is to find guys that can develop the talent in house and that can work together to not only create more effective gameplans but communicate bidirectionally when they see things happening during the game that can give a competitive edge. IDGAF where they were they coached or who they are if they can stand up for themselves and say "fuck that shit". Too many of the guys on staff the past 2 years knew the problems and wouldn't tell Orlando "fuck that shit". 

I know there's a great gnashing of teeth and taste of bile from the 2019 season is still fresh. Trust me, I fully fucking understand. That season was fucking bullshit but to this point Herman has done most of what everyone on surly has wished for (outside of me with that shitfuck Drayton, but there is hope - however dangerous that is). Meh is gone. Beck is gone. Orlando is gone. Meekins is moved to non-coaching role where he can still provide some recruiting help. Warehime is gone. There were a multitude of posts saying that Herman would never make those changes. He did and so now the focus is on the "comfort hire" or lack of expediency with position coach hires. Fuck both of those ideas. I don't know if any of the hires will work but I can tell you that the Ohio State team that featured Herman and Ash as OC and DC certainly looked well coached and schemed. I also know that if Orlando would've just played motherfucking base defense for the entire season with nary a single blitz - the Longhorns probably win 9. I fully expect the 2020 team to be markedly better simply by playing a much simpler brand of defense. That alone will change the scope of the W/L total, imo. Not pumping sunshine just Occam's Razor. 

Recruiting related because recruiting is about relationships and hiring position coaches last week or in two weeks changes next to nothing in the scope of closing out the 2020 class - which is largely complete. The pieces in play are being recruited by Herman, the coordinators and the position coaches still on staff that have relationships with them. 

Uh, yeah, dude, recruits do actually give a fuck about who will be coaching them at their position. That actually matters. Shout as loudly as you like that getting the position coaches in "changes next to nothing", but it remains a bad take. 

Also, the convention construct was a lot more pertinent years ago and still makes sense when a coach is quietly shopping a subordinate or a subordinate has been told to look around. It's less relevant when wholesale changes to a staff are being made since the introduction of SD1, along with the increased pace and $$ involved with the entire process. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Him being overrated has been the scuttle since last spring. 

isn’t he also cousins with someone?

He’s also been at three different high schools I think. So has Campbell. 

5* VA cornerback Grimes. I don’t think he’d help much with Grimes 

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Talented coaches are able to retain their jobs when their superiors are fired all the time. See Herb Hand, Stan Drayton, and (checks for accuracy) Oscar Giles (?). If a coach is talented but was stuck working for a failed coordinator, the HC or decision makers can and will find room to retain the individual. While Valai isn't culpable for the defensive units' failures at Rutgers or KC, he apparently didn't show enough to be retained. I wouldn't say he was fired. But we can infer that he didn't excel. The University of Texas with its "fuck you money" should be exclusively evaluating coaches who have excelled in their previous jobs.

Remember when Bruce Chambers was the lone assistant retained at Texas after Mack was forced out...

21 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Why does that tweet say “would have been” and “was in the mix.”? I didn’t think we hired a wr coach yet. Although, it’s hard to follow anything on this board this week.

KU gave him a raise/promotion and publicized it, which is basically a neon sign saying ""he's not leaving"

• Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roach has an update on Quay Davis with a lot of upvotes if anyone has it.

Roach / Quay Davis

Spoiler

I just spoke with Quay Davis at Pylon 7v7. He told me that despite decommitting, Texas is still his leader. He will be in Austin on the 18th.

• Like 5

Just now, Getafix said:

Roach / Quay Davis

Reveal hidden contents

I just spoke with Quay Davis at Pylon 7v7. He told me that despite decommitting, Texas is still his leader. He will be in Austin on the 18th.

The #1 job of the new receivers coach will be to ensure Herman does not start asking this guy philosophical questions about the meaning of "commitment".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Alabama and OU offered this week. Texas offered in November of 2018

Yup, and as Elmer said we were easily the early favorite (Roach was still selling him as one of the most likely kids to commit recently) This is the first unmitigated dickpunch of the cycle.

Hopefully he shows up to Elite Day.

• Like 1

Gabe Brooks: Recruiting notes from Pylon 7on7 Dallas tournament

LANCASTER, Texas -- 247Sports was on hand Saturday for the first day of the Pylon 7on7 Dallas regional tournament from Lancaster High School. The following are some recruiting notes from Saturday's event on a cold, windy day in the DFW Metroplex.

-- Ishmael Ibraheem, 2021 CB, Dallas Kimball -- the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Ibraheem, a four-star prospect who plays select 7-on-7 for Texas Flex, picked up offers this past week from Notre Dame and USC. Ibraheem seems to be intrigued by Notre Dame and its academic profile. He said he wants to get to know more about the Irish coaching staff. Ibraheem also confirmed plans to make an unofficial visit Jan. 18 to Texas, which offered him last June. Ibraheem has reported more than 20 offers nationwide. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks Ibraheem at No. 132 overall in the country's 2021 class, No. 11 nationally among 2021 cornerbacks, and No. 22 overall in Texas for his class. He is No. 121 overall in the Top247, which puts him seventh among 2021 corners and 22nd overall in the Lone Star State.

-- JD Coffey, 2021 S, Kennedale (Texas)  -- Coffey said he has been in contact the most lately with Notre Dame and Cal. Stanford and Texas are also schools in regular pursuit of Coffey, a four-star who also plays select 7-on-7 for Texas Flex. Coffey plans to take a Jan. 18 unofficial visit to Texas. He also hopes to get up to Notre Dame at some point in the summer. Coffey, who owns about 20 offers nationally, wants to cut his list to a top eight or top five by the end of the spring with sights on a commitment decision before the 2020 football season starts. The 247Sports Composite ranks Coffey as a top 200 national prospect, the No. 4 safety in the 2021 class, and No. 28 overall in Texas for his class.

-- Quay Davis, 2021 WR, Dallas Skyline -- the 6-foot, 193-pound four-star wideout and Fast 7v7 member has already decommitted twice despite just finishing his junior football season, but he will have plenty of options with 20 offers to date. Davis first decommitted in Dec. 2018 from SMU before committing last June to Texas. He decommitted in November from the Longhorns. He told 247Sports that he plans to take a lot of visits in the coming months before making a commitment decision during the summer. The Longhorns lead the 247Sports Crystal Ball with 80 percent. The 247Sports Composite ranks Davis at No. 77 nationally in the 2021 class, 13th among 2021 wideouts, and No. 14 overall in Texas for his class.

-- Isaiah Nwokobia, 2021 S, Dallas Skyline -- an emerging three-star safety prospect with a big frame and versatile game, Nwokobia said that schools such as SMU, Duke, and Minnesota are pursuing him the hardest at this time. Nwokobia, who had two interceptions for Dallas-based Team Grind during Saturday's pool play, said he hopes to make junior day/unofficial visits to all three of those schools. Oklahoma State is another program that has offered Nwokobia and could get a spring trip from the Dallas standout. 247Sports considers Nwokobia a strong three-star prospect ranked 25th nationally among 2021 safeties.

-- Phaizon Wilson, 2022 WR, Lancaster (Texas) -- another Team Grind standout, Wilson flashed a couple of times in Saturday's action thanks to his 6-foot-4, 200-pound frame and big catch radius. Wilson has gotten two FBS offers from Texas Tech and Kansas, which offered him Thursday. Only a sophomore, Wilson said he wants to make unofficial visits to both in the near future. Kansas has been active recruiting the DFW Metroplex in the Les Miles area, particularly with passing game coordinator/receivers coach Emmett Jones being a former head coach at South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas.