Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: Recruiting tidbits and observations from Pylon 7on7, Trench Wars

— I spoke with Kennedale safety JD Coffey today. Coffey told me a week ago that he hadn’t heard much from Texas over the last month or two, but Chris Ash reached out to him this week and invited him for a visit on Jan. 18. Coffey had a tight relationship with Craig Naivar when he was at Texas, but he wants to meet the new staff and give them a chance. Coffey will indeed make the visit to Austin on the 18th, and Texas could regain control of this recruitment if everything goes well. Coffey came up with a few interceptions on the day and showed great instinctual play from the safety position.

— 2021 Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem previously told me that Jason Washington leaving Texas would be a huge negative for Texas in his recruitment, but he said today that he wants to meet the new staff. The four-star cornerback is planning to be in Austin on Jan. 18 for a visit. Ibraheem showed great fluidity and a natural feel for coverage at cornerback today, and he’ll be in the discussion for top corner in the state.

— Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis told me today that Texas is the leader out of his top group of schools, and he plans to be in Austin on Jan. 18. He’s had several great conversations with Tom Herman as of late, and he was excited to learn that Mike Yurcich is the new offensive coordinator. Davis said he’s not sure what will happen at the wide receiver position, but he personally hopes Texas continues to pursue Emmett Jones. Davis just recently became a father, so staying close to home could become more important to him down the stretch. The four-star receiver put on a show as a deep threat with fantastic ball skills and sensational short-area burst.

— 2021 Katy cornerback Hunter Washington had a solid day in coverage playing for Fast 7v7. His sturdy frame and long arms were on display as he used quickness and technique to stymie opposing wide receivers. Washington was invited to Texas for the Jan. 18 visit weekend, but he said he’s not sure if he will make it or not due to other obligations with 7-on-7.

— 2022 running back Jaydon Blue was sensational during the All-American Bowl underclassmen combine, and he continued to play strongly today as a versatile receiving back. Blue wants to visit Texas and is checking his availability for the Jan. 18 weekend.

— I did not see Camar Wheaton today but spoke with a source close to the Garland Lakeview Centennial four-star running back who indicated Wheaton will be a possible attendant for the Jan. 18 visit weekend.

—2022 Texas offensive line offer Devon Campbell of Arlington Bowie had a great day at the Trench Warfare camp. Campbell has long arms and great athletic ability, and he showed that he’s not afraid to get nasty. Campbell holds several offers, but he mentioned Texas as the early one that stands out. Campbell confirmed he will be in Austin on Jan. 18.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Recruiting tidbits and observations from Pylon 7on7, Trench Wars

Hide contents

— I spoke with Kennedale safety JD Coffey today. Coffey told me a week ago that he hadn’t heard much from Texas over the last month or two, but Chris Ash reached out to him this week and invited him for a visit on Jan. 18. Coffey had a tight relationship with Craig Naivar when he was at Texas, but he wants to meet the new staff and give them a chance. Coffey will indeed make the visit to Austin on the 18th, and Texas could regain control of this recruitment if everything goes well. Coffey came up with a few interceptions on the day and showed great instinctual play from the safety position.

— 2021 Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem previously told me that Jason Washington leaving Texas would be a huge negative for Texas in his recruitment, but he said today that he wants to meet the new staff. The four-star cornerback is planning to be in Austin on Jan. 18 for a visit. Ibraheem showed great fluidity and a natural feel for coverage at cornerback today, and he’ll be in the discussion for top corner in the state.

— Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis told me today that Texas is the leader out of his top group of schools, and he plans to be in Austin on Jan. 18. He’s had several great conversations with Tom Herman as of late, and he was excited to learn that Mike Yurcich is the new offensive coordinator. Davis said he’s not sure what will happen at the wide receiver position, but he personally hopes Texas continues to pursue Emmett Jones. Davis just recently became a father, so staying close to home could become more important to him down the stretch. The four-star receiver put on a show as a deep threat with fantastic ball skills and sensational short-area burst.

— 2021 Katy cornerback Hunter Washington had a solid day in coverage playing for Fast 7v7. His sturdy frame and long arms were on display as he used quickness and technique to stymie opposing wide receivers. Washington was invited to Texas for the Jan. 18 visit weekend, but he said he’s not sure if he will make it or not due to other obligations with 7-on-7.

— 2022 running back Jaydon Blue was sensational during the All-American Bowl underclassmen combine, and he continued to play strongly today as a versatile receiving back. Blue wants to visit Texas and is checking his availability for the Jan. 18 weekend.

— I did not see Camar Wheaton today but spoke with a source close to the Garland Lakeview Centennial four-star running back who indicated Wheaton will be a possible attendant for the Jan. 18 visit weekend.

—2022 Texas offensive line offer Devon Campbell of Arlington Bowie had a great day at the Trench Warfare camp. Campbell has long arms and great athletic ability, and he showed that he’s not afraid to get nasty. Campbell holds several offers, but he mentioned Texas as the early one that stands out. Campbell confirmed he will be in Austin on Jan. 18.

Jeez Quay Davis has a kid already? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Wondering if Texas should set potential recruits up with childcare like Georgia. I'd rather not get into this. Especially since parents are already offered jobs with universitys like auburn and benefits with South Austin's mom.

I see nothing wrong with it. It’s vastly different than offering family members employment.

33 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Wondering if Texas should set potential recruits up with childcare like Georgia. I'd rather not get into this. Especially since parents are already offered jobs with universitys like auburn and benefits with South Austin's mom.

You’re right. If we’re already behind the 8 ball because we’re not actively paying players or getting family members jobs, we definitely should also make sure we aren’t giving benefits like childcare to players, tacitly telling them you disapprove of their actions. Do you think it’s too late to cancel the SEZ project and get our shitty, outdated facilities back while we are at it?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

He's a 17 year old kid. It's okay to mention he has reasons to stay closer to home, but no one needs an elaboration on those reasons.

I'm sure we have recruits every cycle who have kids, maybe we should make a spreadsheet detailing all of their personal info.

Who hurt you? Was it your father?

5 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

School of social work is right there next to the field house. 

On 1/12/2020 at 11:41 AM, Mdhorn said:

Don't all faculty and students already have this?  There's a somewhat giant preschool (size of a small elementary) north of Dischfalk owned by UT.

I'd assume costs are included under FCA scholarships, but I don't really know how that works.

Edited by JBJ

On 1/12/2020 at 12:41 PM, Mdhorn said:

Doh! Spelling is hard. 

3 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

https://twitter.com/LongHornFrenzy/status/1216808024209227777

Does a Nick Harris crystal ball carry any weight?

He's a Baylor dude. Their veteran guys all left to create SicEm365.com (the only cfb recruiting site by and for systematized rape apologists), and I don't know much about the new ones.

@nycHorn it's for Quay Davis

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Regarding the Brockermeyer's and Clemson, they just signed 6 OL for the 2020 class and already have 2 for the 2021 class, including a Center.  How many are they taking?  Thought a while back it was said they were looking to take only 3 OL for the 2021 class.

there was a IT article posted to the 2020 page.  had a segment on Savion Byrd. 

Byrd was basically quoted as saying Tommy Brockermeyer was a Texas commit. 

6 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

there was a IT article posted to the 2020 page.  had a segment on Savion Byrd. 

Byrd was basically quoted as saying Tommy Brockermeyer was a Texas commit. 

Here's the exact section. We'll see how much he really meant it.

Texas:
“This recruiting class for the offensive line is really good. I know a few, I met up with some at the Auburn vs. Oregon game like Tommy Brockermeyer."

"Texas, I like their program. I’ve been there a couple times. You can tell the relationships with the coaches is really well. They push each other hard.”

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:41 AM, RGBIII said:

Jeez Quay Davis has a kid already? 

man, when I went back home to see my dad, my old HSs football team was at the movie we went to see for “family day” 

when I was there you took your parents and maybe a girl you wanted to show off, now it’s all new borns, 16 yo baby mommas and 40 yo grandmothers who get to raise another generation 

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

man, when I went back home to see my dad, my old HSs football team was at the movie we went to see for “family day” 

when I was there you took your parents and maybe a girl you wanted to show off, now it’s all new borns, 16 yo baby mommas and 40 yo grandmothers who get to raise another generation 

This has been going on for generations in East Austin lol.. it ain't that serious

11 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Regarding the Brockermeyer's and Clemson, they just signed 6 OL for the 2020 class and already have 2 for the 2021 class, including a Center.  How many are they taking?  Thought a while back it was said they were looking to take only 3 OL for the 2021 class.

If Texas is in a good place, they'll land them. If not, it's probably a coinflip vs the field, whether that's Clemson or someone like Bama or LSU 

I almost got punched by the senior Brockermeyer one time.  We were at Conference Cafe in Lubbock ('94 I believe during his AA year) after the Horns had just taken one in the teeth from Tech.  Blake was buddies with one of my friends.  He joined us in the bar after the game and I wisely slurred, "What the hell dude?!"  Didn't go over well.

If we miss out on his sons, you can blame me.

9 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I almost got punched by the senior Brockermeyer one time.  We were at Conference Cafe in Lubbock ('94 I believe during his AA year) after the Horns had just taken one in the teeth from Tech.  Blake was buddies with one of my friends.  He joined us in the bar after the game and I wisely slurred, "What the hell dude?!"  Didn't go over well.

If we miss out on his sons, you can blame me.

If we miss out on his sons, I'm going to see a Greek witch in Alquippa and putting an acne curse on this entire board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1