Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Congratulations to Clemson. Can’t believe Herman fucked up the Brockermeyers 

The version I was told was that Yancey and Batson (Clemson S&C) both had similar takes for the Brocks and that was part of UGAs “surge” (along with Auburn). Neither of the aforementioned were appropriately beholden to the Brocks and I believe both had the same question, not so much James’ lack of ideal size but lack of core flexibility per initial tests. 

That was all a pretty good while ago though, I’m sure new shit has come to light that CTJ has heard. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

The version I was told was that Yancey and Batson (Clemson S&C) both had similar takes for the Brocks and that was part of UGAs “surge” (along with Auburn). Neither of the aforementioned were appropriately beholden to the Brocks and I believe both had the same question, not so much James’ lack of ideal size but lack of core flexibility per initial tests. 

That was all a pretty good while ago though, I’m sure new shit has come to light that CTJ has heard. 

Unless I missed it, I don't think Clemson has offered James yet, and has been noted, they already have a Center commit for this class.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Unless I missed it, I don't think Clemson has offered James yet, and has been noted, they already have a Center commit for this class.

I mean, unless I'm mistaken, someone put in a CB for Tommy to Clemson like a week or two ago. Granted, it is one guy's CB and can be meaningless, but if so apparently Clemson didn't hurt their feelings quite the way someone at Texas did, despite their horrific track record of putting OL in the league. 

39 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

That's Blackshire right? Also, on a completely different note Shemar Turner would be a DT in the new system right? 

Yeah. Blackshire, who is overrated. There is 0 chance he sticks at LB in college. Maybe he could make a good DL, but I think he’d lack flexibility even for that spot. 

Hard to say how Turner will develop. I haven’t seen any recent height/weights for him, but there’s definitely a chance he grows into a DT. 

21 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wow. He's out there making the right reads, running people down, looking good in pass coverage, wrapping up his tackles, stripping the football, getting off of blocks...

Are we even allowed to recruit linebackers like that?

25 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Wow. He's out there making the right reads, running people down, looking good in pass coverage, wrapping up his tackles, stripping the football, getting off of blocks...

Hell this dude doesn't even have a ranking last time I looked.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

glad because you'd for sure lose the bet or because you'd want underdog odds on the payout?

I don't know if I'd say anything is for sure yet. I mean, hell, the Clemson stuff might not get sorted the way they want or something. But this isn't in a great spot at all.

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I know what you are hearing but..I still think both Brocks will come around and come here at the end of the fucking day..  We deserve nice things too

I'm with you. Hope it works out that way.

• Like 3

IT Inside Scoop

JUAN DAVIS

In addition to two defensive line targets in 2020, Texas hosted one of its first 2021 commits in Everman ATH Juan Davis.

Whenever Davis leaves these events to speak with the media, he doesn't say a whole lot. He loves coming back to Texas and said return trips like this remind him why he committed in the first place.

The smile all his words travel through shows what returning to Texas means. Even being able to watch Texas basketball was something Davis enjoyed.

"It's great being on campus," Davis said. "It's really fun. I love it when I come down to Texas."

Davis used this visit as an opportunity to get to know new tight ends coach Jay Boulware. Davis said Boulware didn't recruit him while at Oklahoma, but enjoyed his first interaction with him.

"He really loved me," Davis said. "He said when he first got here everybody had a lot of good things to say about me and he's really excited to see me."

Davis said he felt at home while on campus, and isn't currently hearing from other schools.

TERRENCE COOKS

The 2021 Shadow Creek LB enjoyed the "open and welcome environment" Texas put together for Elite Day.

"Now, I fell in love with Texas," Cooks said. "Definitely a top school if not the top school. Texas has a sense of program family that I buy into. I love my position coach, Coach (Hutzler), I love him. Coach Herman, love the recruiting department with Mr. Carrington, they do everything for me. I think in the next four years they have a great team coming."

Cooks was a state champion with 2020 Texas signee Xavion Alford. If Alford speaks to Cooks about Texas, Cooks listens.

"Xavion is going to be in my ear," Cooks said. "I’ve played with him since middle school, actually. That’s like family. I can trust him, so I can listen."

Speaking of family, Cooks connected with another Texas commit and someone who could be playing a similar position to him, New Caney's Derrick Harris Jr.

Cooks knows he plans to take an official visit to Texas, but wasn't quite sure of the date. That's because he wants his visit to coincide with Harris'.

"My plan is to come in the spring with Derrick," Cooks said. "Whenever Derrick says he's coming, I'll be right there with him."

Texas sold Cooks on playing a will linebacker spot in Chris Ash's defense, and they called him their No. 1 prospect at linebacker. Currently, Oklahoma and Washington are two schools in addition to Texas that stand out to Cooks.

When it comes time to make a decision, academics will certainly factor.

"Academics in the biochemistry program," Cooks said. "Family and love, I want to feel like I’m a part of something and not just in something, not like a robot or a figure. I want to be a factor in this school.”

LJ JOHNSON

UT made a great impression on a handful of prospects over the weekend, but Texas really moved the needle with the four-star tailback from Cy-Fair. At 5-foot-11 and 205 pounds, he's got the frame for heavy lifting in a college backfield. While he lacks the track speed of Camar Wheaton, Johnson actually is an upgrade in the other categories; drive, vision, ball skills, reading holes, and breaking tackles.

Texas RB coach Stan Drayton has been a fan of Johnson, and with new OC Mike Yurcich on board, LJ is digging the Texas vibe.

Inside Texas: UT has some new coaches around campus. Did you get a chance to familiarize yourself with any today?

LJ Johnson: "Coach Yurcich spoke to me about the offense, and what I can bring to the team. He wants to bring physicality and mental toughness. Being smart and working with the personnel he has."

IT: With your relationship with Coach Drayton, does Texas seem like a fit for your skills?

LJ: "I think it would be after what they were talking about today. (Drayton) said if I come here, I could work for a spot and he'd develop me in the first year. But the life after football, that'll be huge."

IT: How important was it for UT to keep Coach Drayton?

LJ: "I think it's very important. He's been coaching for the last 20 years and keeps sending guys to the NFL. He coached Zeke Elliott so I think him staying will play a huge part for me."

IT: How much do you hear from Milroe and Conner, and those guys?

LJ: "A lot. Especially Jalen. He wants me to come here bad. We keep in touch all the time."

IT: A few of the current commits were talking about you earlier. What's been their message?

LJ: "They just said 'why not Texas? It can set you up for life.' Great city, great football, and just a great place to be."

IT: The last few months, your offers have really increased. Who are some of the schools in your ear?

LJ: "I've been talking to Georgia a lot. Ohio State too. I'll probably visit both this spring."

Johnson mentioned he'll take a few officials this summer, then drop a top 5. After that, he said he could commit at anytime.

KATY TAYLOR DUO 

It feels like we've covered Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster for years. Well, we kind of have. I remember going to see Max Wright years ago and him telling me about the insane talent coming up the Taylor Mustangs pipeline. He was right. They were only freshmen at the time, but Conner and Foster looked special from the start.

Fast forward to the weekend and it marked the third time in three seasons the elite OL pair had visited for an Elite/Junior Day-like event. Each year, these kids get bigger and bigger. Sometimes it's really noticeable, like with Foster. I remember the kid at 6-foot-1, 250 in 2018. On Saturday, it looked like Foster ate the freshman version of himself.

If you say you're 6-foot-5, 348 pounds, I'd be a little worried. That's a lot of weight to keep on a HS kid. But when you see the way Foster carries it, it's....beautiful. He still runs a sub 5.0 40-yard dash. His calves are bigger than Barry Sanders', and from the way he puts it, he's still light on his feet. He's the Mountain and I believe him.

Inside Texas: What was it like getting back to Austin today?

Bryce Foster: "It was pretty great seeing the new Hall of Fame and all the accolades and accomplishments at the University of Texas."

IT: How involved is the track & field team at Texas for you?

BF: "It was my second time meeting them. We spoke at the K-State game last year. I'm really glad the coaching staff is on board with letting me throw (shot put) as well as letting me play football."

IT: How big of a priority is that towards making your college decision?

BF: "It's really big. It's one of the main reasons I like Texas. It's something I've always wanted to do when I get to college. It's cool because my first year to be draft eligible will also be the Summer Olympics. I think that would be an awesome opportunity. Like Marquise Goodwin."

IT: You've always told us about your great relationship with Coach Hand since 8th grade. What stands out about him and how much of a factor will it be?

BF: "We just went over his Powerpoint presentation and how he coached 16 guys who are in the NFL. That speaks for itself. His resume is undeniable. He's probably one of my favorite coaches. We have a strong relationship. Almost to the point...like we're friends."

IT: What's your plan for officials visits and making a decision?

BF: "Depending on my schedule, track season, and this summer, I might take a few in the spring or wait until the fall."

IT: How much is Hayden Conner recruiting you? Or does he not care where you go (joking)?

BF: "Ohh he does (laughs). Him and Jalen both persuade me, always throwing facts about UT at me. It's fun messing with them about it."

Foster spoke about his Pluckers lunch and staying in the 340-pound range. Next up for the elite target are Oklahoma and Texas A&M visits. He'll have a top 5 and take all five officials, and he let us know Texas will get one of those visits.

Let's slide over to the other monster teammate, 6-foot-7 four-star o-lineman and Texas pledge Hayden Conner. The Big NASA never misses an opportunity to hang with fellow UT commit Jalen Milroe and the chance to help persuade fellow recruits to join UT's C/O 2021.

Inside Texas: As a current commitment for Texas and seeing new faces, what's it like attending these events?

Hayden Conner: "It felt normal, like home. It was good to meet Coach Yurcich and all the new coaches on board. It feels like they're meant to be here."

IT: How easy is it for your position group with Herb Hand remaining on staff?

HC: "It's perfect. If there was a coaching change, I wouldn't de-commit because I love Texas, but Coach Hand makes my job a lot easier."

IT: Attending Elite Day gives you a chance to help recruit this class. How do these events help you?

HC: "Me and Jalen (Milroe) talked to Latrell (Neville) earlier today before it all started. We only spoke to a few non-commits, but I'm always on Bryce (Foster). Everyday."

IT: What's your selling point to Foster?

HC: "It's just family. It's me and Jalen. We've all played forever. We won the national championship together with FBU. It's home. Eventually he'll figure it out. He really enjoyed it. He might not say it to you, but he'll say it to us."

IT: What was Katy Taylor's playoff run like?

HC: "It was nuts. It kind of came out of nowhere. We shocked a lot of people. I think the stuff we did in the offseason after losing to Cy-Creek in the second round our sophomore year, we were upset. We were tired of being overlooked and came out fighting."

Conner offered this last nugget: "We know the future at Texas is so bright and others are starting to learn that."

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I wonder if Cooks' interest in biochemistry is more Hayden Conner and NASA or Bobby Wolfe and brain doctoring.

I believe his mom is an adjunct professor somewhere, so I'm guessing he's very serious about academics.

Edit: She's a longtime educator with a master's and teaches at Lone Star CC. Looks like she has a pretty extensive background in science, as well: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tamikarsullivan/.

Edited by campcrunk
New shit has come to light.

1 hour ago, Hornsfan91 said:

IT Inside Scoop

JUAN DAVIS

In addition to two defensive line targets in 2020, Texas hosted one of its first 2021 commits in Everman ATH Juan Davis.

Whenever Davis leaves these events to speak with the media, he doesn't say a whole lot. He loves coming back to Texas and said return trips like this remind him why he committed in the first place.

The smile all his words travel through shows what returning to Texas means. Even being able to watch Texas basketball was something Davis enjoyed.

"It's great being on campus," Davis said. "It's really fun. I love it when I come down to Texas."

Davis used this visit as an opportunity to get to know new tight ends coach Jay Boulware. Davis said Boulware didn't recruit him while at Oklahoma, but enjoyed his first interaction with him.

"He really loved me," Davis said. "He said when he first got here everybody had a lot of good things to say about me and he's really excited to see me."

Davis said he felt at home while on campus, and isn't currently hearing from other schools.

TERRENCE COOKS

The 2021 Shadow Creek LB enjoyed the "open and welcome environment" Texas put together for Elite Day.

"Now, I fell in love with Texas," Cooks said. "Definitely a top school if not the top school. Texas has a sense of program family that I buy into. I love my position coach, Coach (Hutzler), I love him. Coach Herman, love the recruiting department with Mr. Carrington, they do everything for me. I think in the next four years they have a great team coming."

Cooks was a state champion with 2020 Texas signee Xavion Alford. If Alford speaks to Cooks about Texas, Cooks listens.

"Xavion is going to be in my ear," Cooks said. "I’ve played with him since middle school, actually. That’s like family. I can trust him, so I can listen."

Speaking of family, Cooks connected with another Texas commit and someone who could be playing a similar position to him, New Caney's Derrick Harris Jr.

Cooks knows he plans to take an official visit to Texas, but wasn't quite sure of the date. That's because he wants his visit to coincide with Harris'.

"My plan is to come in the spring with Derrick," Cooks said. "Whenever Derrick says he's coming, I'll be right there with him."

Texas sold Cooks on playing a will linebacker spot in Chris Ash's defense, and they called him their No. 1 prospect at linebacker. Currently, Oklahoma and Washington are two schools in addition to Texas that stand out to Cooks.

When it comes time to make a decision, academics will certainly factor.

"Academics in the biochemistry program," Cooks said. "Family and love, I want to feel like I’m a part of something and not just in something, not like a robot or a figure. I want to be a factor in this school.”

LJ JOHNSON

UT made a great impression on a handful of prospects over the weekend, but Texas really moved the needle with the four-star tailback from Cy-Fair. At 5-foot-11 and 205 pounds, he's got the frame for heavy lifting in a college backfield. While he lacks the track speed of Camar Wheaton, Johnson actually is an upgrade in the other categories; drive, vision, ball skills, reading holes, and breaking tackles.

Texas RB coach Stan Drayton has been a fan of Johnson, and with new OC Mike Yurcich on board, LJ is digging the Texas vibe.

Inside Texas: UT has some new coaches around campus. Did you get a chance to familiarize yourself with any today?

LJ Johnson: "Coach Yurcich spoke to me about the offense, and what I can bring to the team. He wants to bring physicality and mental toughness. Being smart and working with the personnel he has."

IT: With your relationship with Coach Drayton, does Texas seem like a fit for your skills?

LJ: "I think it would be after what they were talking about today. (Drayton) said if I come here, I could work for a spot and he'd develop me in the first year. But the life after football, that'll be huge."

IT: How important was it for UT to keep Coach Drayton?

LJ: "I think it's very important. He's been coaching for the last 20 years and keeps sending guys to the NFL. He coached Zeke Elliott so I think him staying will play a huge part for me."

IT: How much do you hear from Milroe and Conner, and those guys?

LJ: "A lot. Especially Jalen. He wants me to come here bad. We keep in touch all the time."

IT: A few of the current commits were talking about you earlier. What's been their message?

LJ: "They just said 'why not Texas? It can set you up for life.' Great city, great football, and just a great place to be."

IT: The last few months, your offers have really increased. Who are some of the schools in your ear?

LJ: "I've been talking to Georgia a lot. Ohio State too. I'll probably visit both this spring."

Johnson mentioned he'll take a few officials this summer, then drop a top 5. After that, he said he could commit at anytime.

KATY TAYLOR DUO 

It feels like we've covered Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster for years. Well, we kind of have. I remember going to see Max Wright years ago and him telling me about the insane talent coming up the Taylor Mustangs pipeline. He was right. They were only freshmen at the time, but Conner and Foster looked special from the start.

Fast forward to the weekend and it marked the third time in three seasons the elite OL pair had visited for an Elite/Junior Day-like event. Each year, these kids get bigger and bigger. Sometimes it's really noticeable, like with Foster. I remember the kid at 6-foot-1, 250 in 2018. On Saturday, it looked like Foster ate the freshman version of himself.

If you say you're 6-foot-5, 348 pounds, I'd be a little worried. That's a lot of weight to keep on a HS kid. But when you see the way Foster carries it, it's....beautiful. He still runs a sub 5.0 40-yard dash. His calves are bigger than Barry Sanders', and from the way he puts it, he's still light on his feet. He's the Mountain and I believe him.

Inside Texas: What was it like getting back to Austin today?

Bryce Foster: "It was pretty great seeing the new Hall of Fame and all the accolades and accomplishments at the University of Texas."

IT: How involved is the track & field team at Texas for you?

BF: "It was my second time meeting them. We spoke at the K-State game last year. I'm really glad the coaching staff is on board with letting me throw (shot put) as well as letting me play football."

IT: How big of a priority is that towards making your college decision?

BF: "It's really big. It's one of the main reasons I like Texas. It's something I've always wanted to do when I get to college. It's cool because my first year to be draft eligible will also be the Summer Olympics. I think that would be an awesome opportunity. Like Marquise Goodwin."

IT: You've always told us about your great relationship with Coach Hand since 8th grade. What stands out about him and how much of a factor will it be?

BF: "We just went over his Powerpoint presentation and how he coached 16 guys who are in the NFL. That speaks for itself. His resume is undeniable. He's probably one of my favorite coaches. We have a strong relationship. Almost to the point...like we're friends."

IT: What's your plan for officials visits and making a decision?

BF: "Depending on my schedule, track season, and this summer, I might take a few in the spring or wait until the fall."

IT: How much is Hayden Conner recruiting you? Or does he not care where you go (joking)?

BF: "Ohh he does (laughs). Him and Jalen both persuade me, always throwing facts about UT at me. It's fun messing with them about it."

Foster spoke about his Pluckers lunch and staying in the 340-pound range. Next up for the elite target are Oklahoma and Texas A&M visits. He'll have a top 5 and take all five officials, and he let us know Texas will get one of those visits.

Let's slide over to the other monster teammate, 6-foot-7 four-star o-lineman and Texas pledge Hayden Conner. The Big NASA never misses an opportunity to hang with fellow UT commit Jalen Milroe and the chance to help persuade fellow recruits to join UT's C/O 2021.

Inside Texas: As a current commitment for Texas and seeing new faces, what's it like attending these events?

Hayden Conner: "It felt normal, like home. It was good to meet Coach Yurcich and all the new coaches on board. It feels like they're meant to be here."

IT: How easy is it for your position group with Herb Hand remaining on staff?

HC: "It's perfect. If there was a coaching change, I wouldn't de-commit because I love Texas, but Coach Hand makes my job a lot easier."

IT: Attending Elite Day gives you a chance to help recruit this class. How do these events help you?

HC: "Me and Jalen (Milroe) talked to Latrell (Neville) earlier today before it all started. We only spoke to a few non-commits, but I'm always on Bryce (Foster). Everyday."

IT: What's your selling point to Foster?

HC: "It's just family. It's me and Jalen. We've all played forever. We won the national championship together with FBU. It's home. Eventually he'll figure it out. He really enjoyed it. He might not say it to you, but he'll say it to us."

IT: What was Katy Taylor's playoff run like?

HC: "It was nuts. It kind of came out of nowhere. We shocked a lot of people. I think the stuff we did in the offseason after losing to Cy-Creek in the second round our sophomore year, we were upset. We were tired of being overlooked and came out fighting."

Conner offered this last nugget: "We know the future at Texas is so bright and others are starting to learn that."

6-foot-5, 348 pounds

sub 5.0 40-yard dash

Is this legit?

TFB Open Post is up

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2020/01/open-post-tuesday-january-21st/

Apparently Sanders' mom frequents surly

2021 ATH Commit Ja’Tavion Sanders

“It was amazing. I’m glad my mom got to see the facilities and meet Coach Herman to know the he’s a good guy and that he’s definitely going to get me right for my future.”

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

16 hours ago, campcrunk said:

We may have to duel Todd Orlando for him, I saw him covering slot receivers. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas moves up for Marcus Burris following visit

Spoiler

Texas moves up for Marcus Burris following visit

MikeRoach
STAFF

Marcus Burris had an eye-opening experience at Texas.

The four-star defensive lineman from Texarkana Pleasant Grove has been lukewarm on the Longhorns in the past, but he said this trip to Austin cleared up a lot of questions he had.

“I liked the visit,” he said. “It definitely gave me a better feeling about Texas. Before, I came up here and I was kind of clueless about how I would be used at Texas. Today I got a good understanding of how they would use me and where I would play.”

Burris has the type of frame that makes him scheme-versatile depending on who is recruiting him. Burris said Chris Ash pitched him on playing more inside, but he was fine with whatever got him on the field.

“It’s pretty much the same,” he said. “I feel like I would play a lot more inside than outside. I’m fine with that. I just want to get on the field.”

Saturday’s elite day visit was the first chance Ash had to interact with a large group of recruits. Burris said that Ash connected well.

“It was good,” he said. “I can tell he really cares. It could be something cool maybe playing for him one day. I’m just looking forward to the future.”

The visit went so well, Burris said that Texas elevated themselves in his view. In fact, the visit went so well, Burris said that Texas will definitely get an official visit.

“You can say that,” he said. “I’m starting to plan my officials and I’m definitely going to put Texas on the list, so there you go.”

Texas A&M is the only other school Burris said would receive a visit. He admitted that while he’ll make the best decision for him, Burris would like to stay in state.

“As of right now, Texas and A&M,” he said. “That’s it right now. I’m kind of like a homebody. I’m born and raised in Texas, so why leave. But then again, I’m trying to make the best choice for me.”

At 6-foot-4, 262 pounds, Burris is ranked as the No. 4 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 11 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Another blue chip OL prospect. Is the entire top 100 for 2021 just a bunch of OL? 

Noticed that as well. Seems we've been offering more of them/pursuing them recently, which supports CTJ's suggestion that the Brocks are leaning elsewhere and the staff is aware of it.