Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

38 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I could be mistaken, but I thought defensively Bowman projected to S (not that I'm complaining, he needs to be on defense IMO).

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think they said he's a nickel when he committed (do we still have a nickel?)

I don’t know what anyone else said, but he’s a Nickel if he’s on defense according to the last staff members and what my own eyes tell me. I’d like to see them mix him in on both sides and in the return game but that’s probably PS4 fantasy shit. 

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I thought we had seen some positive stuff on McCutchin lately, but I skimmed the thread and that appears not to be the case. Maybe I'm thinking of Latrell Neville?

He did tweet something - may have been an edit with some positive comments. 

(Also have a vague recollection of a quick unofficial visit (insert ref to SA's mom), but I could be mistaken about that.)

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

He did tweet something - may have been an edit with some positive comments. 

(Also have a vague recollection of a quick unofficial visit (insert ref to SA's mom), but I could be mistaken about that.)

All I saw on his Twitter feed of any relevance going back a couple weeks was a generic tweet @ Bowman. Nothing exciting. I think I'm just confused.

Edit: Clearly I don't know the whole story here and if Bama really wants him that's going to be a tough hill to climb, but I'd think he'd have to be pretty damn negative for us to give up on a quality CB who literally lives in Austin. If it's more of a matter of hurt feelings over offer timing, we can counter that easily by blaming it on coaches who are now gone. He was one of Ash's first Twitter follows, FWIW.

Edited by tokamak

McCutchin comes with a lot of baggage, an ACL tear, and is certainly not markedly better than several other CBs in the state. He's not a bad player but he's also not worth getting worked up over, imo. I won't be surprised if he ends up going through several schools during his career. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

McCutchin comes with a lot of baggage, an ACL tear, and is certainly not markedly better than several other CBs in the state. He's not a bad player but he's also not worth getting worked up over, imo. I won't be surprised if he ends up going through several schools during his career. 

I won't be surprised if Bama processes him out before signing day. Do not personally want. 

35 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Roach says the Brocks cancelled their trip to Clemson this weekend and there is some speculation that it is in response to Dabo being slow to offer James. 

Well that’s a positive. 

So if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, outside of Clemson, our biggest threat would be LSU? They already offered James. Bama hasn’t. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Well that’s a positive. 

So if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, outside of Clemson, our biggest threat would be LSU? They already offered James. Bama hasn’t. 

Blake will not allow his boys to get degrees from swamp aggy

Edit to add: That doesn't change the fact that the CEEaux is at Episcopal right now with a bunch of assistants

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

IT Scoop on Burris and Jackson

PLEASANT GROVE I - Marcus Burris 

Texarkana Pleasant Grove junior DL Marcus Burris has made multiple trips to Texas with his teammate Landon Jackson. His recent Elite Day visit gave him an idea of how he'd be utilized at Texas he hadn't seen before.

"It was really nice," Burris said Saturday. "It definitely gave me a better feeling about Texas. Before I came up here, I was kind of clueless on how I would be used at Texas. Today, I got a really good understanding of how they would use me and where I would play."

Where specifically is that?

"I feel like I would play a lot more inside than outside, and I’m fine with that," Burris said. "I just want to get on the field at the end of the day and have fun."

In addition to the new defensive system, the new man selling it, Chris Ash, made an impression on Burris.

"I could tell that he really cares and stuff like that," Burris said. "Could be something cool. Could be playing for him one day. I’m definitely looking forward to the future."

Texas made such an impact on this visit that Burris said Saturday he knows he will be taking an official visit to Texas this spring. The only other visit he knows he'll take is to Texas A&M. He'll take those officials in the spring before making a decision in the summer or at the beginning of the season.

Two in-state schools competing for Burris makes sense. The self-described 'homebody' doesn't want to trek outside of his state's borders. 

"Texas is where I was born and raised, why leave?" Burris asked. "Then again, I want to make the best choice for me that will help me in the next four years.”

PLEASANT GROVE II - Landon Jackson 

The 6-foot-5, 245-pounder from Texarkana has been a known name in the Texas Football recruiting world. Texas offered after his stellar freshman year and have been on the potential five-star ever since. 

Even though Jackson has family ties to Texas A&M, he's always had a soft spot for the Longhorns. He's got a great relationship with DL coach Oscar Giles, who he once said was his favorite assistant coach that recruits him. Being named USA Today First Team All American last month wasn't a surprise after an insane junior campaign that culminated in his second state championship. 

His best friend also happens to be a highly-rated target, Marcus Burris. They aren't a package deal by any stretch, but playing together has been discussed. Here's more from Jackson after UT's Elite Day. 

Inside Texas: You've been here before, many times. What was different about today and the staff's message? 

Landon Jackson: "It was really cool to finally meet all the new coaches. I basically knew a whole different staff outside of coach Giles, but I really like the new guys in coach Ash and coach Hutzler. They really impressed me with what they showed me about the new fronts and the way they are using the new defense."

IT: With UT adding the four-man front, does that help with your pursuit? 

LJ: "Definitely, I like it a lot. I honestly didn't like the three-down linemen sets, and it was the only thing keeping Texas from my top school. I like what they're doing now and I think it'll help the team this season be extremely productive. They like me in a 9-technique, over the tight end a lot. I can come off the edge." 

IT: Your timeline hasn't changed, correct? Still looking at a late summer commitment? 

LJ: "Yes sir, I'm going to take all five of my officials, then most likely commit before my senior season starts, so I can focus and get locked in to my senior year at PG. I'll start my OVs in the spring, maybe a few in the early summer, then a top 5 list. For sure will be Texas, A&M, and LSU. Maybe Ohio State and Washington too."

IT: How will you see schools separating from each other? 

LJ: "Communication. How they stay in contact with me is really important. A lot of schools say they want me, but don't contact me like these (UT, A&M) schools do and show that they really want me." 

Jackson mentioned spending a lot of time with coach Giles. That relationship is huge in this pursuit. Texas will get an OV and they'll be in his Top 5. He loved his time in Orlando and at UA in January. He's also a part of a group chat of just UT prospects. Horns' commits Jalen Milroe and Billy Bowman are in his ear the most. And that's good. 

That's great news. Clemson was the primary competition as of early January, and they were set to visit and hoping for a committable offer to James while there. 

UGA and Bama are around, but if suddenly one of them leads, then that's just the players looking for a reason not to go to Texas. Let's see what bubbles to the surface over the next few weeks/months. Since they didn't exactly commit to Texas early, the longer this goes on, the more I like UT's shot. See Collins, Alfred.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Is James a take for us regardless of what Tommy does? (I know they're probably a package, I just mean hypothetically).

I think he is. He'd be the best center prospect we'd have taken in a very long time, and I think he'd compete for playing time early at center 

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that any program that doesn't offer James is effectively eliminated from consideration?

With a couple of caveats.  Only Texas is punished for slow playing said offer.  Also, apparently giving the 3rd walk on LB brother a scholarship bestows few benefits.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's great news. Clemson was the primary competition as of early January, and they were set to visit and hoping for a committable offer to James while there. 

Not unlike Elijah Higgins, they need to learn to not ask certain questions if they don't want to hear the answer(s). The fact that Batson told them exactly what Yancey did and that it appears to somehow come as a surprise again -- I think that it has helped Texas in the end, despite the waves it created earlier. Pittman moving on from UGA was nice for Texas as well. 

I think James could be a really good player for Texas in the end (I don't see early playing time in his future) but there's a reason he's not getting offers despite his brother's talent and what that could entail for said program. 

Holy fucking shit! Surprise, surprise, surprise!

I wonder if Harvdog is ever going to actually understand what's going on with his little buddy, or if he's going to play the "he's a great kid that will go to Texas in the end blah blah blah" card straight off the fucking cliff into the fiery doom that is this guy selling himself off to Bama or UGA?

I need to go find the "rules" I wrote in a thread last summer about when we know we probably aren't going to wind up getting the player. I wonder if one of them was "If the player is a prima donna constantly posting things about himself and talking shit on social media, he's probably not a fit". If that isn't on there, we need to add it. Otherwise, this guy fits the bill for "guys going to the SEC with zero fucks given beyond grabbing that bag". 

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holy fucking shit! Surprise, surprise, surprise!

I wonder if Harvdog is ever going to actually understand what's going on with his little buddy, or if he's going to play the "he's a great kid that will go to Texas in the end blah blah blah" card straight off the fucking cliff into the fiery doom that is this guy selling himself off to Bama or UGA?

I need to go find the "rules" I wrote in a thread last summer about when we know we probably aren't going to wind up getting the player. I wonder if one of them was "If the player is a prima donna constantly posting things about himself and talking shit on social media, he's probably not a fit". If that isn't on there, we need to add it. Otherwise, this guy fits the bill for "guys going to the SEC with zero fucks given beyond grabbing that bag". 

make it rain money GIF

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I could be mistaken, but I thought defensively Bowman projected to S (not that I'm complaining, he needs to be on defense IMO).

He’s most likely be a Nickel in our new scheme, although he’s such a freak athlete, he could make it at safety as well. 

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

I think they said he's a nickel when he committed (do we still have a nickel?)

Yes. Ash will probably based out of Nickel against most teams, and they’ll likely be looking for more coverage ability out of the Nickel spot than Orlando did, since TO prioritized having a Nickel that could hold the edge, like an OLB, so he could free up Ossai to take those 20 yard drops. I expect Ash will want a smaller dude who can hold up in man when needed But is still physical and aggressive against the run (basing out of quarters doesn’t necessarily require great man skills for the Nickel, since he’s mostly covering a short zone, but the need to mix it up with Cover 1 and include enough wrinkles to keep offenses honest does). 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Harvdog's son will be so sad. Also yeah dude's definitely going SEC.

With how hard Harvdog takes every jab and negative development in this recruitment,  Tunmise is gonna break Harvdog before it’s all said and done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ketch is fighting with Longhorn Twitter about the rankings. Terrific. 

Some absolute gems from Ketch, who hasn’t even watched these guys play because he’s too busy sitting at home eating Cheetos off his bloated stomach while rage tweeting some conservative politician until his phone screen is so orange, he can’t even see what he’s typing, but keeps tweeting anyways.

added this one just for fun: 

• Like 2