Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

Big tall white dudes from Balkans make for good C and PFs in basketball, so not a bad idea to test out that athleticism on the gridiron. Hand starting a new pipeline to Belgrade? 

Best water polo players on earth, too (along with Hungary). If you want size, flexibility and stamina, Balkan athletes are tough to beat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

10 out of the state's 20 seems wildly unrealistic. In 2018, Herman and his first-year bump got us 12/20. In 2019, we got 3/20 while landing a lot of OOS kids to make up for the explosion of in-state headcases. This year we ended up with 5/20, but had the opportunity to do significantly better before we underachieved on the field (Nahlin was boasting we'd get a top 5 class for sure this time last year, if you recall).

Unless we collapse on the field in 2020, we'll probably get five or so from the state's top 20 again. Give or take a couple.

Lol. So you admit freely that we monumentally fucked up this year, and we still should have done better than 5 after an on field collapse. Then you state that if we don’t collapse on the field in 2020, as we did this year, then realistically we should only get the same 5/20 as we did this year after a monumental collapse? 

So our beast case with a 10 win season is the same as this cycle’s fuckitude? In other words, the Sky has already Fallen.

allow me to re-adjust your viewing prism. It is year 4 under Tom Herman. Hitting 2 less prospects than he did his first full cycle is reasonable and should be the expectation at a program like Texas, no excuses. It’s year 4, trending anywhere but upward is a monumental failure and a reasonable expectation. Unless someone doesn’t actually believe or want Texas to succeed and has a name that means Sadness Erection in pidgin. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Your math is uh ... not good. Maybe try again, my man. Also, Burris being included in that group to Texas would be the best case scenario. Also also, the final top 20 will change quite a bit. Also also also, yes, anything below 10 out of the 20 will be disappointing, but ymmv. 

How many is that on the Looch 44?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. So you admit freely that we monumentally fucked up this year, and we still should have done better than 5 after an on field collapse. Then you state that if we don’t collapse on the field in 2020, as we did this year, then realistically we should only get the same 5/20 as we did this year after a monumental collapse?

So our beast case with a 10 win season is the same as this cycle’s fuckitude? In other words, the Sky has already Fallen.

allow me to re-adjust your viewing prism. It is year 4 under Tom Herman. Hitting 2 less prospects than he did his first full cycle is reasonable and should be the expectation at a program like Texas, no excuses. It’s year 4, trending anywhere but upward is a monumental failure and a reasonable expectation. Unless someone doesn’t actually believe or want Texas to succeed and has a name that means Sadness Erection in pidgin. 

A&M and LSU will probably both be tougher to recruit against this cycle than last. And we're coming into 2020 carrying much less momentum from the previous year's campaign than 2019. Nahlin said earlier today that we rpobably would have landed Tunmise Adeyele with a better season, and judging by the Brockermeyer's behaviour he likely isn't the only recruit in that boat.

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

A&M and LSU will probably both be tougher to recruit against this cycle than last. And we're coming into 2020 carrying much less momentum from the previous year's campaign than 2019. Nahlin said earlier today that we rpobably would have landed Tunmise Adeyele with a better season, and judging by the Brockermeyer's behaviour he likely isn't the only recruit in that boat.

You have done nothing in this lost to address any of my points, specifically your logic. News flash, LSU is already recruiting well ahead of us. If anything, they’ve gone more widespread than focusing on Texas. Who on that list are they even chasing hard that we want? Blackshire? The Brocks, but that’s on herman more then them. Your logic is flawed and your only attempt to defend it is a vague “recruiting is really, REALLY hard” and a wave of the hand. I don’t really care about Tunmise, how is that germane to my post? We had a bad season. You’re saying aTm will be hard because (I assume) they have a puss schedule and might look good. But you fail to give us any credit if we have a good season, despite several recruits looking to give us a fair shake and saying such. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

10 out of the state's 20 seems wildly unrealistic. In 2018, Herman and his first-year bump got us 12/20. In 2019, we got 3/20 while landing a lot of OOS kids to make up for the explosion of in-state headcases. This year we ended up with 5/20, but had the opportunity to do significantly better before we underachieved on the field (Nahlin was boasting we'd get a top 5 class for sure this time last year, if you recall).

Unless we collapse on the field in 2020, we'll probably get five or so from the state's top 20 again. Give or take a couple.

Your logic pretzel and general demeanor probably has you so confused that it’s difficult to avoid hyperventilating every 30 minutes, so I understand that you can’t see straight. That considered, I don’t feel the need to make it my problem. Think what you like. 

I’ll reiterate for those still capable of thinking rational thoughts and not under the impression that Texas is some cuckolded football program that can only take the scraps that various other programs choose to leave behind. 

If Texas doesn’t sign 10 of the top 20 in-state players in 2021, it will be a disappointment and a failure on the staff’s end to get their jobs done. 

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok you are correct sir, there are 9 commits/yes on the list I quoted. But 10 of those 20 players isn’t happening, whatever their final rankings end up being.  Maybe if we are a playoff team AND we actually covet 10 or more of those guys. 
And I'm willing to wager any Greg Davis related avatar on it. 

You’re chasing a red herring. I never proposed an outcome involving the current top 20. Someone posted it as a snapshot to see how things would look if the cycle ended yesterday, which it didn’t. 

I think there is a good shot that James Brockermeyer and Turner wind up in the final top 20. With Clemson deflecting love for the Brocks, they’re looking at a top 2 of Texas and Bama. They go to Bama this weekend and anything can happen, but Bama isn’t Clemson and doesn’t have the same atmosphere. Those guys are not going to LSU. At some point, the mom also will have a say, and she’s probably got her own view of the right choice for her boys, and it probably has a good shot of working for us. So that could easily be another 2 guys in the top 20 versus some in the current 15-20. 

It isn’t difficult to envision 10 of the top 20 and that should be the expectation every season. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did a quick search to see if I could find it, but I wasn’t able to, and I also got distracted laughing at what was happening in the 2020 thread a year ago. 

Machinator was of course doing his programmed duties by filling the thread with quality content that we were all ignoring so we could argue about how Giles was going to manage missing on Collins, Broughton, and Princely. 
We were still hyped up about the Bru McCoy news and finishing with the #3 class for 2019. We thought we led for Ringo.  Johnny Wilson was going to be the next CJ. 

@Katfid54 made his infamous post saying some Oregon RB looked just like Tre Watson. It must’ve been in the transfer thread because I didn’t see it, but i know it happened around this time, because everyone was making fun of him for it. 

Texas was all in on Zach Evans and thought to be the leader. His bro, CJ, was flaming aggy all over twitter, while Zach had skipped visits to Clemson and aggy, which was interpreted by us Surly sleuths as a great sign for Texas. 

Meanwhile, @Txsbigeasy1 was raining down fire with his sick edits that were getting posted by all the croots, and we loved him for it, until he posted a certain Evans edit...

A1-C9-EB0-B-7-C1-D-434-B-A04-B-E2-FCCE27

Then we all started freaking out and shaming him into wiping every trace of the edit from the internet

Until this happened...

Haha oh man thanks for this. I forgot all about my sick af edit. 

10/20 sounded tough before I started listing them out

3-4 OL. Brocks, Foster, Byrd. Outside shot that Conner ends up ranked that highly. 

Milroe

Quay, JoJo

Sanders, plus 1-2 other DL (Tunmise, Jackson, Thomas, Turner, Smith, Burris). Unclear where these guys will end up being ranked

Bowman

LJ Johnson

Cooks

Maybe Harris ends up top 20

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Where’s the confidence coming from right now on Foster? IIRC he was thought to be aggy’s to lose.

I've always felt decently about Foster to Texas. I can't speak to how others feel. 

Edited by Fud

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Where’s the confidence coming from right now on Foster? IIRC he was thought to be aggy’s to lose.

1.) I don't think Fud is confident. He was listing out candidates to get to 10, at least that is how I read it.

2.) The word in Foster is that he really doesn't want to go to aTm. If he does, it will be due to familial pressure, not his preference. He likes Texas, he likes his boys going to Texas, and that gives us a puncher's chance. I'd take the field of a compromise school over aTm and Texas at the moment. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

1.) I don't think Fud is confident. He was listing out candidates to get to 10, at least that is how I read it.

2.) The word in Foster is that he really doesn't want to go to aTm. If he does, it will be due to familial pressure, not his preference. He likes Texas, he likes his boys going to Texas, and that gives us a puncher's chance. I'd take the field of a compromise school over aTm and Texas at the moment. 

He did grow up cheering for Oregon (mom really can't win). They'd make sense.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He did grow up cheering for Oregon (mom really can't win). They'd make sense.

If his mom pushes him halfway across the country instead of letting him go to Texas, then I guess we’ll know she’s full aggy (and a shitty mother). 

Actually after writing it out, I fully expect this to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

I recall walking into to the Giddings HS field house at the beginning of the 1967 season and marveling at their weight room equipment.
There were several homemade wooden weight  benches, four sets of real factory made barbells, and about a half dozen crude “barbells” of varying sizes made from 1” pipes with tin cans full of concrete on the ends for weights. 
The entire boys’ athletic budget was $5,000 for the school year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I recall walking into to the Giddings HS field house at the beginning of the 1967 season and marveling at their weight room equipment.
There were several homemade wooden weight  benches, four sets of real factory made barbells, and about a half dozen crude “barbells” of varying sizes made from 1” pipes with tin cans full of concrete on the ends for weights. 
The entire boys’ athletic budget was $5,000 for the school year.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

He has aspirations to be an Olympic thrower and the olympic shotput record being set in Rio by a Texas grad is the tipping point IMO. Not to mention Tripp Piperi won gold at the 2019 college outdoor championships where Oregon and aggy didn't place a thrower in the top 20. 

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Summer Creek is starting to generate some D1 talent and their head coach and principal are UT folk. I think if we like these players, we'd have favorable tailwinds in their recruitment (vs Atascosita where the opposite is true). I know Banks committed to oSu, but 2022 is a long way off. 

32 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He has aspirations to be an Olympic thrower and the olympic shotput record being set in Rio by a Texas grad is the tRipping point IMO. Not to mention Tripp Piperi won gold at the 2019 college outdoor championships where Oregon and aggy didn't place a thrower in the top 20. 

If correct, calculator.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

The idea of a parent not letting their kid go to a school because of a rivalry is so foreign to me.  You explain the downside and the reasons why you yourself wouldn't do it, but if they still want to, oh well.  Actually preventing it belies a scary weirdness in the parental function.

If my kid wanted to go to Aggy I wouldn't stop him. But I'd call him a dork every day.

#SlorchLevelParenting

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The idea of a parent not letting their kid go to a school because of a rivalry is so foreign to me.  You explain the downside and the reasons why you yourself wouldn't do it, but if they still want to, oh well.  Actually preventing it belies a scary weirdness in the parental function.

especially if it's a football scholarship. It's not like they have to pay for it.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’d like to think I’d feel the same way. But then it’s hard for me to imagine my son saying he wants to play football for OU. It would be an initial shock for sure. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’d like to think I’d feel the same way. But then it’s hard for me to imagine my son saying he wants to play football for OU. It would be an initial shock for sure. 

It would be tough, but I don’t think I could chance having my kid resent me for the rest of his life.

that’s a huge decision, sometimes the first decision that affects the rest of someone’s life, and taking it out of their hands can have consequences.

But with aggy the opposite is also true-if you don’t go aggy  then your aggy family and friends resent YOU. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Summer Creek is starting to generate some D1 talent and their head coach and principal are UT folk. I think if we like these players, we'd have favorable tailwinds in their recruitment (vs Atascosita where the opposite is true). I know Banks committed to oSu, but 2022 is a long way off. 

Did you see them at state?  That whole team looked like sprinters.  That was the fastest defense I've ever seen.  Ryan couldn't move the ball at all on them. 

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If his mom pushes him halfway across the country instead of letting him go to Texas, then I guess we’ll know she’s full aggy (and a shitty mother). 

Actually after writing it out, I fully expect this to happen. 

I don’t see that. OU or UT IMO.

He will visit Texas last per Hand’s request.

Like our chances.

• Like 2

Coach Yurcich might be the main recruiter when it comes to Florida according to his recent Twitter follows. These guys all received a follow from him.

https://247sports.com/Player/Yulkeith-Brown-46077108/

https://247sports.com/Player/Kamren-Kinchens-46058584/

https://247sports.com/Player/Dallas-Turner-46051516/

Also, UT offered 5* LB Raesjon Davis a couple days ago. He committed to LSU on New Years. This offer is of course in preparation of him flipping to the good guys when UT destroys LSU next season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Raesjon-Davis-46056065/

• Like 1