Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

No chance we only take 2 WR next year. 

It's really next year that WR hurts the most. It's a postition where we would benefit more from a transfer than an extra HS player.  The roster is light, but it's the upperclassmen missing. 

But taking 4 if at least 2 are potentially immediate impact guys isn't a terrible way to approach it either.

Edited by JBJ

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

My position numbers (in order of most pressing):

LB: 3-4

DB: 4-5

DE: 2

OL: 4-5

WR: 2-3

RB: 1-2

QB: 1 (I know Yurc probably wants 2)

TE: 1 (2 committed currently)

DT: 1

That makes the numbers 19-26, but I think we'll be on the higher end.

Of course, transfer market (both in and out) will change this a bit as we go.  I'm also probably going to revisit defensive numbers after the spring game.

They'll take at least 4 DL which comes at the expense of at least one of your linebackers. Ideally, 1 OLB/DE, 1 DE who could grow into a 3 tech, 1 WDE, and 1 DT

There will be 4 WRs. 

Must take 2 RBs. Whittington is a WR and Bijan will probably have an opportunity to leave after 3.

I think we still end up with 2 TEs, but hopefully it's Davis and Arroyo. I'd also like to give Davis has some positional flexibility.

The rest seems about right. If we could land one of Robertson or Nussmeier as a QB2, great. If not, reallocate the scholarship to another position. It only gets dicey if Casey leaves and JQJ moves. If only one happens, we're set with Card-Casey/JQJ-Milroe.

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They'll take at least 4 DL which comes at the expense of at least one of your linebackers. Ideally, 1 OLB/DE, 1 DE who could grow into a 3 tech, 1 WDE, and 1 DT

There will be 4 WRs. 

Must take 2 RBs. Whittington is a WR and Bijan will probably have an opportunity to leave after 3.

I think we still end up with 2 TEs, but hopefully it's Davis and Arroyo. I'd also like to give Davis has some positional flexibility.

The rest seems about right. If we could land one of Robertson or Nussmeier as a QB2, great. If not, reallocate the scholarship to another position. It only gets dicey if Casey leaves and JQJ moves. If only one happens, we're set with Card-Casey/JQJ-Milroe.

Exactly my thoughts on DL.  You could move a number from LB to DE or DT and I don't think it changes the type of players targeted.

I think you are right on taking an additional at any one of WR/RB/TE.  But I don't see (4+2+2=) 8 scholarships combined at those positions.

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss.

On the 2021 class...Inside Texas mentioned today, at this time, they don't expect RB Brandon Campbell (Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated) or S JD Coffey III (Kennedale) to be in the class.

Coffey's weird, we were on him way early, seemed really hyped, now there's noise we're not after him and his recent film has been meh. On the flip side, he's still getting good offers.

Campbell I get given the odd vibes.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Coffey's weird, we were on him way early, seemed really hyped, now there's noise we're not after him and his recent film has been meh. On the flip side, he's still getting good offers.

Yeah I think one of the sites said his Jr. film didn't look very good.  Ash may like the Skyline kid better, Nwokobia.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I believe we are recruiting him as an RB2, and he's picking up major RB1 offers. Looks like we are working on Jonathan Brooks and Cam'Ron Valdez as in-state RB2 options with LJ Johnson and Camar Wheaton at the top of the board. 

As long as we're pushing for LJ early and often so as to avoid the Wheaton mess, I don't much care who the RB2 is of the in-state options available. Just get LJ.

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hasn't Campbell played for three different high schools in three years?  Odd vibes indeed.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh Christ. I cringe every time I take that journey. I'm usually relieved if I don't find my own posts. But yeah, predicting recruiting is fucking hard.

Some are cringe-y but I feel like journeys like Branard Wright's - class cornerstone LSU commit nose tackle to human cube SFA Lumberjack - are good laughs all around. When everyone's wrong it's just funny.

Unless you're Branard Wright of course.

• Like 1

In the spirit of reviewing the first few pages of a thread:

On 4/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, Harvdog said:

I posepted this video on the other site.  I have known this kid since he was in 1st grade. He dream school is Texas and he p,has a position of need

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3356270/Tunmise-Adeleye

he received his first D1 offer this weekend from aggy.  I hope we look at this kid because he’s going to be a beast

I am not making the quoted post above up, it's one of the earliest on the first page of this thread. Poor harvdog.

On 4/25/2018 at 1:30 PM, Katfid54 said:

If we're going after Shadrach Banks, I think we should go after Meshach and Abednego, too.  Those guys have been through hell together.

On 4/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, Katfid54 said:

e384378c67db6341f78db92fc1e87164.gif

Some fucking things never change. The prima donna, self-aware version of Mr. Phlegm has been this way for years.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:29 PM, JerryHubbard said:

Seeing all of the A&M cb picks for Bryce Foster is hilarious.  Talk about the Katy echo chamber.

He is a big UT fan and Hand fan - and he was pretty disappointed that he did not get an offer at the Spring game. He knows UT has offered other 2021 OLs.

If UT ever gets around to offering him (and I know that he is still a Freshman in HS), he will probably shut down his recruitment. Just don't wait too long...

And sometimes, the early takes remain dead-on or quite prescient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I am not making the quoted post above up, it's one of the earliest on the first page of this thread. Poor harvdog.

Some fucking things never change. The prima donna, self-aware version of Mr. Phlegm has been this way for years.

What I’ve learned from this is that Tunmise has been getting over on HarvDog The Oblivious since he was in 1st grade. Which I guess now seems perfectly plausible. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anyone have this?  Gabe Brooks usually has pretty good info on recruits and his crystal ball picks.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/current-feeling-on-early-texas-2021-picks-on-crystal-ball-143458500/

You're welcome, Fudd.

Horns 247 / Gabe Brooks / Early look at Texas 2021 forecasts on 247Sports Crystal Ball

Spoiler

Early look at Texas 2021 forecasts on 247Sports Crystal Ball
GABE BROOKS

Pending 247Sports Crystal Ball forecasts for Texas

Tommy Brockermeyer, OT, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints' Episcopal -- My prediction for the five-star and top prospect in the state of Texas for the 2021 class was submitted more than a year ago -- Dec. 21, 2018, to be exact, on the same day as Horns247.com insider Mike Roach. Texas leads the Crystal Ball at 67 percent (four predictions), but the two more recent picks have gone to other schools: Clemson in early January and LSU in late January. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks Brockermeyer at No. 3 overall in the country's 2021 class.

I'm keeping my pick on Texas right now, but this admittedly does not seem like a slum dunk some people think it will be based on Brockermeyer's family connections to the Longhorns (father Blake was an all-America tackle at Texas and brother Luke plays linebacker for the Horns). Brockermeyer named a top five in December of Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, LSU, and Texas, in alphabetical order. Since then several more schools have offered, including Georgia. Brockermeyer and twin brother James Brockermeyer, a four-star offensive lineman in his own right, unofficially visited Clemson, Alabama, and Auburn since Jan. 24.

Again, I'm keeping my Crystal Ball on Texas for now, but schools such as Alabama and LSU could particularly be tough competition for the home-state Horns. Current pick confidence level: 40 percent.

Quaydarius Davis, WR, Dallas Skyline -- I put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball for the four-star Davis to Texas leading up to his June 9 commitment nine months ago. Obviously since then, Davis re-opened his recruitment as he decommitted in November. But I have decided so far to leave my Crystal Ball forecast on Texas, and so have several others, as the Longhorns sit at 83 percent (the remaining being foggy).

Davis, ranked 76th overall in the 247Sports Composite rankings for 2021, does not seem close to a commitment at this time, and there are a lot of big-name schools chasing him, which we believe had a lot to do with his decision to re-open the recruiting process. Things have been pretty quiet lately, but right now, my gut feels like this could be one where Davis returns to the class at some point. Current pick confidence level: 60 percent.

Correct 247Sports Crystal Ball forecasts for Texas

Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH, Denton (Texas) Ryan -- the four-star two-way standout committed this past September to the Longhorns. All signs point to the Top247 No. 40 overall recruit remaining solid to Texas.

Billy Bowman, ATH, Denton (Texas) Ryan -- like his teammate, Bowman is a four-star two-way playmaker, and sources indicate he remains strongly committed to the Longhorns. He sits at No. 81 nationally on the 247Sports Composite.

Derrick Harris, OLB, New Caney (Texas) -- Texas landed Harris this past August and he remains solid to the Longhorns. The Top247 ranks him at No. 139 overall in the class.

Juan Davis, TE, Everman (Texas) -- like Sanders, Bowman, and Harris, it sounds like Davis should stick to his Texas pledge. Davis joined Texas' 2021 class late last July. The 247Sports Composite ranks him at No. 58 overall in the Lone Star State's 2021 cycle.

• Like 5

On 2/5/2020 at 8:37 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Interesting to look at numbers for this class.

Definitely need 3 CB's and probably 4 WR's.  I'd say at least 3 LB's.

How many DL do we think we'll take?

Looks like 6 OL and 2 TE's.

1 or 2 at Safety?  Do we need a Kicker or Punter?

Numbers are going to be tight, too. 1 open spot, 10 seniors. We'd need about 15 attrition candidates to take that type of class.

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Numbers are going to be tight, too. 1 open spot, 10 seniors. We'd need about 15 attrition candidates to take that type of class.

You’re failing to account for current walk ons given a 1 year scholarship, plus attrition this summer and next, plus there will absolutely be guys from the 18 class that declare early. It won’t be that hard to get to a 25 man class for 2021. 

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The harvdog post stood out def lol

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

11 seniors and 1 open spot, plus Cosmi who's a lock to leave. Plus there's Derrian Brown and Josh Moore. 

Regarding the walk ons mentioned above, I think it's very unlikely that we'll ever see Herman pulling scholarships of PWOs. I think he wants to make that program an asset, and wants to get the best walk ons in the country, and showing that we have several of those guys on scholarship at all times is a great selling point. Additionally, it's the only way to recoup lost scholarships once you're past the class counter, since transfers count in your classes. 

Alright, so, the 2020 recruiting cycle is mostly complete. Now that puts 2021 into full swing. So what do we think?

Class Size for 2021: 25+

Class Finish for 2021: Top 3

In-state/OOS Mix: 80/20

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: Tommy Brockermeyer

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: Camar Wheaton

I assume a top 5 of Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida and Texas. I'm sure LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon will be right there as well. ATM will buy their share, but the wheels flying off whenever their hopes are shattered yet again will start to pull at the fabric of the JimboForPresident tapestry. 

OU finish: Top 12 with the usual overloading of offensive players by numbers and ranking

ATM finish: Top 15 and I alluded to their issues above beyond that.

Of course I'm being a little optimistic, but I'm expecting Texas to have a big 2020 season. I'm also not expecting Texas to recruit like pussies in the new landscape, and they mostly haven't. 

Anybody else want to take a shot?

Edited by closetojumping
added OU and ATM ranking thoughts
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Retweeted by Carrington this morning, goes to Bijan's alma mater Salpointe Catholic in Arizona

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonah-Miller-46058467/

Ranking has dropped a bit since we offered last summer

Pretty sure @closetojumping said we were recruiting him pretty hard.  It'll be interesting to see if we take his commitment if he wants to before Brock bros, Byrd, and Foster announce.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Alright, so, the 2020 recruiting cycle is mostly complete. Now that puts 2021 into full swing. So what do we think?

I assume a top 5 of Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida and Texas. I'm sure LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon will be right there as well. ATM will buy their share, but the wheels flying off whenever their hopes are shattered yet again will start to pull at the fabric of the JimboForPresident tapestry. 

Of course I'm being a little optimistic, but I'm expecting Texas to have a big 2020 season. I'm also not expecting Texas to recruit like pussies in the new landscape, and they mostly haven't. 

I'll say top 5 barring another fuck up like this past season.  Start out 5-0 with wins @ LSU and vs OU then shit gets real and we're talking errbody and flips.

Brockermeyer's are the must gets for me.

Really want Burris and Jackson, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Those are the kinda' guys to go with what we just brought in + Ja'Tavion that we were running out from 03-09 type that dominated.

Get LJ Johnson and I'm fine with no Wheaton if he has the baggage that's being alluded to.

When does Lake decommit?

Good options at LB this year and things actually look good with the targets.

Need some Corners bad.  Ibraheem, Washington, an OOS guy, doesn't matter, got to get them.

No idea what the Safety board looks like, but that's the deepest position on the team, would we take only 1??

Want Foster for the monsoon of aggy tears + plus he's a beast.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fud said:

11 seniors and 1 open spot, plus Cosmi who's a lock to leave. Plus there's Derrian Brown and Josh Moore. 

Regarding the walk ons mentioned above, I think it's very unlikely that we'll ever see Herman pulling scholarships of PWOs. I think he wants to make that program an asset, and wants to get the best walk ons in the country, and showing that we have several of those guys on scholarship at all times is a great selling point. Additionally, it's the only way to recoup lost scholarships once you're past the class counter, since transfers count in your classes. 

Who is the other senior? Okafor, Imade, Brown, Ehlinger, Young, Brewer, Kerstetter, Graham, Bimage, and Jones.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Did I miss something on the Brock’s? I thought you just recently said something that painted a picture of them not coming here.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag