Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I feel this way about brockermeyer as I did with Collins. Wondering to myself are we the only school in the country that has all American longhorn parents and family struggling to land their kids.   Then we land Collins. Hopefully the same thing pans out.  Even though I don’t follow other schools as much I just rarely here. Cuz dad was an all American and his kid snubs dad school  

That's because we're the only school you pay attention to. If a Bama legacy goes to Michigan, do you notice or care?

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

EJ Smith had an offer from Florida and chose Stanford. Same with Barry Sanders JR and OSU (he ended up at Stanford). We have a long ways to go on the Brocks.

...clearly, the value of a Stanford education > Florida or OkState

BUT WHAT IS THE VALUE OF A STANFORD EDUCATION VS A TEXAS EDUCATION?!?!?!?!?!

• Like 1

Word on the skreetz is daddy Brockermeyer talked to a scout who didnt have good things to say about our staff/program/Hand. So then he started asking around and he has gotten mixed information. My FW buddy went from saying he would basically commit ritual seppuku if the Brocks ended up somewhere else, to telling me not to get my hopes up. Happy Monday!

23 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Word on the skreetz is daddy Brockermeyer talked to a scout who didnt have good things to say about our staff/program/Hand. So then he started asking around and he has gotten mixed information. My FW buddy went from saying he would basically commit ritual seppuku if the Brocks ended up somewhere else, to telling me not to get my hopes up. Happy Monday!

sad arrested development GIF

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Caddox said:

That scout named Alex Dunlap?

I still believe the Brocks will land in Austin.. and people are being way too harsh on Byrd.  A year ago he was participating at the winter camps and more than holding his own in drills vs older DEs.  Same camps where Tommy blew the hell up at last year.

• Like 1

(Eric Nahlin) Inside Scoop: 2/10/20

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

TEAM

We'll start with the move of DeMarvion Overshown from joker/dime/safety hybrid to Will linebacker. That move is as telling as a source saying the coaches want to have the fastest defense in the country. Putting Overshown at linebacker is a big step towards that end. Given depth, overall lack of elite talent at the position, and the conference Texas plays in, moving a safety had to be done. Good job on the coaches in wasting no time.

The other linebacker should be Juwan Mitchell who will likely see his speed increase this offseason. I say 'should be' because the coaches want the slate wiped clean as best as they can in order to spark competition across the board. "Players have to earn everything back." That's a bit harder to do at linebacker and on the defensive line where the depth chart is pretty much set, but competition is definitely the story in the secondary.

Ash has told the team they'll base out of 4-3 which is really a 4-2-5. The current projection on the front four is what was predictable:

End: Marqez Bimage OR Jacoby Jones
3-tech: Ta'Quon Graham/Moro Ojomo
1-tech: Keondre Coburn/T'Vondre Sweat
Jack: Joseph Ossai/Byron Vaughns

This is going to be a deep and active front which will make Overshown's transition much easier. As we know linebacker is dinged up right now with Marcus Tillman still coming back from his MCL injury. He is running ahead of schedule and could play either linebacker spot. Dele will miss the spring. He'll clearly be a Mike. David Gbenda is at Will and he and Overshown should have quite the battle over the next few months. Cort Jaquess will be behind Mitchell at Mike.

The secondary is anyone's guess. It's too early to anoint the starting corners. The top three are Jalen Green, Anthony Cook, and D'Shawn Jamison. But Kenyatta Watson and Josh Thompson will be competing as well.

I haven't heard of Jamison for sure moving to nickel. It's only been speculated by smart people so far. I asked a source, if Ash wants the fastest defense in the league then isn't putting Jamison (or Thompson) at nickel a no-brainer? The source agreed but said it depends on how Ash views replacing the linebacker. He may want to do it with BJ Foster who is considered better the closer he is to the line of scrimmage. Chris Brown is thought of similarly. Nickel will be interesting to monitor.

Caden Sterns will assuredly start but who joins him will be determined well down the road. My source thought Tyler Owens might emerge because of where he is on the freak of nature scale. We've also heard good things about Chris Adimora's chances. Montrell Estell won't go quietly, either.

I don't think the secondary will be set until the season and even then, if the coaches operate meritocratically, some players will be on a shorter leash if others are competing in practice. In one sense you envy the staff having this many pieces to work with, but they have a lot of work ahead of them figuring out how they fit and then managing egos.

Switching over to offense, the best news there is Jordan Whittington has been a full participant in workouts. He's going to slot receiver. This works well for Whittington while also making room for Bijan Robinson. With options at receiver being limited, Josh Moore returning would give the position a shot in the arm. His court date is ten days from now and we'll probably have resolution around that time.

For the time being we believe Marcus Washington will remain at X and Brennan Eagles will remain at Z. The staff is keeping a close eye on the transfer portal with Michigan's Tarik Black a prime candidate. They also have an eye towards North Texas' Rico Bussey but there is some concern over the knee injury that robbed him of most of his senior year. We'll go into greater detail on the offensive depth chart this Friday.

Mentally the team is in a good place, but the only adversity is in dealing with workouts. Those are going well. Right now accountability is good. This is a junior dominant team and those guys are taking ownership. It's easy to lead in training, however. We won't know this team and program until it gets punched in the face.

BILLY BADASS

It’s been almost a year since Denton Ryan’s two-way star began the recruiting portion of his life. He committed to Texas with teammate Ja'Tavion Sanders last July, and hasn't looked back.

Since then, Billy Bowman Jr. played for a state championship, committed to the Under Armour All American Game, and accumulated 26 offers. In 2019 the 5-foot-10, 175-pounder had 824 yards on 54 catches, with 17 of them finding the end zone. He added two interceptions in the state loss to Shadow Creek. Getting back to state is Bowman's mission. He's a team-first type dude.

“We live by a saying, ‘we’ll win with you and we’ll win without you.’ So I expect there to not be a big drop off from last year to this year," said Bowman. "We should still be strong.”

The district MVP's phone continually rings. When you see his highlights, you know why. His tape speaks for itself. “Oregon, Penn State, USC, Auburn, and Ohio State,” Bowman said on the schools still reaching out.

But he's all burnt orange and doesn't see that changing. The only remaining question will be which side of the ball he plays at the next level. Wide receiver, safety, or nickel, it doesn't matter. Bowman is a madman.

“I can also touch the ball in so many ways,” Bowman said, adding kick and punt return duties to his agenda. "My favorite thing about receiver is I’m such a threat anywhere I line up at so they always have to account for me. My favorite thing about DB is I get to use my football IQ and read what the offense is trying to do.”

As for the rest of UT's Class of 2021, Bowman also has high expectations. “This class will be live,” assured the highly rated four-star.

CALL ME ISHMAEL

One of the state’s top defensive backs, Ishmael Ibraheem, has been a busy man and difficult to catch up with. He recently took an unofficial visit to Austin. It was good getting to know the new CB coach Jay Valai. The 6-foot-1 corner built a solid relationship with former corners coach Jason Washington, but given Valai's track record in DFW I think they'll become closer as the cycle progresses.

“The team and staff are full of amazing talent,” said Ibraheem. "And I love the clash with OU every year.” Oklahoma is a school to watch for the Dallas Kimball four-star. He tripped to Norman prior to the Austin visit and continues to build rapport with the OU staff. They’ll be a threat here, but it's still too early to get a read on the leaders in this pursuit.

Ibraheem holds offers from Michigan, LSU, Alabama, and Georgia, among his 31 verbal invitations. More importantly, Ibraheem got some one-on-one face time with Herman during his trip two weeks ago. That's a good sign for the Horns.

For now, it’s almost track season. Ibraheem runs the 4x1 4x2, 4x4, and long jump. A spring game visit to Austin wouldn't surprise me here as he's a top priority for Valai and the staff. After hitting on only three CBs in the last two classes, this position is a major priority and serves as a great opportunity for Jay Valai to show his ability as a recruiter.

NEW 2022 OFFERS

Texas has taken a proactive approach with sophomores heading into their junior seasons. It’s a way to stave off non-committable out-of-state offers while keeping the prospect close, inside the state lines, and laying a foundation for the next 24 months. One guy I’m glad got the call was Aledo’s Bryan Allen Jr..

At 6-foot-0, 185 pounds, the junior-to-be is a head-hunter in the secondary and currently holds nine offers including OU, Texas A&M, Utah, and Oklahoma State. The Texas verbal invite was big. “It means everything being from Texas," Allen said. "If it's not in your Top 5 and you're from Texas, something is wrong.”

Allen is no stranger to winning, where at Aledo it's the standard. He sees similar traits at UT. “(UT) has a great coaching staff, the opportunity to play early, and a winning tradition,” said Allen on what he is looking for in a program. He is looking to visit Austin and College Station this spring, and those are the two schools who got the early jump for Allen's services.

Another early offer went to Blue Valley North (Leakwood, KS) DB Dasan McCullough. Defensive back, for now. The 6-foot-4, 205 pounder is another hitter from the secondary. With 32 offers already - Alabama, LSU, Oregon, OU - McCullough plays with anger and range. Even with the amount of schools already in the hunt, he stays modest about his personal goals heading into 2020.

“My personal expectations are to just grow as a person and player and really focus on the mental game of the sport," McCullough said. "My team expectations are a state championship. Nothing less. That’s the expectation of our program." While he holds a ton of offers, Penn State, Utah, Georgia, and Clemson have shown the most interest lately. Now, add UT to that list.

“Texas is a great state,” McCullough said. “I know football is everything down there so I'd love to see it. I can’t wait to build a relationship with Coach Valai and the staff.”

McCulloch is listed at 6-foot-4 but tells me he's closer to 6-foot-5. He loves basketball, runs the 4x1, and does the long jump. He's a difficult projection today, but you'd think outside linebacker might be in his future. He doesn't care where he plays.

He's hoping to see Austin this summer, perhaps with his father, Deland McCullough, the Kansas City Chiefs running backs coach.

FINAL NOTE

I'm not expecting much to materialize with West Bloomfield, Michigan running back Donovan Edwards but he says he may visit this spring. He also wants to see Ohio State and Florida.

I was curious how his offer came about. I thought this might have been a Mike Yurcich recommendation but it turns out Edwards had been talking to Jay Boulware while the new tight ends coach was at Oklahoma. He'll be a tough pull, which his how it should be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Interesting notes on WR with Eagles at Z, Washington at X and Whittington in the slot. Moore was playing slot before his suspension and if he comes back, someone very talented is not going to be a starter when you consider Jake Smith as well.  

Wells thinks Smith will play at both slot and Z, along with handling kick and punt return duties.

Kickoff's are pretty much dead in fb but taking punt return away from Jamison is peak mensa. Wells does not know shit though and Nahlin can guess all he wants. These 995's are all out of the loop and only get what the staff wants them to have. Leaks are all but gone from Belmont.

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Kickoff's are pretty much dead in fb but taking punt return away from Jamison is peak mensa. Wells does not know shit though and Nahlin can guess all he wants. These 995's are all out of the loop and only get what the staff wants them to have. Leaks are all but gone from Belmont.

Yes and No. I agree with you, Wells is the last person anyone should listen to in regards to player news, position and roster speculation, etc. He makes Jon Snow look borderline omniscient. Nahlin will be hit or miss, but his best sources are most often the kids themselves or their families, which means if he's telling you something like that, there's a decent shot he has good info. 

Also, yes, not having Jamison return punts and kicks is beyond fucking stupid, so naturally I assume it will be Jake Smith. 

• Like 1

Who woulda thunk Brock senior is a helicopter dad. The NFL doesn't give a shit what school you come from. If you have great tape and good measurables, you're going to get drafted.

With that said, if Texas has a great season, I don't see the Brocks going elsewhere, regardless if how hard Bama, Clemson or LSU push.  If we suck shit through a straw again, they ain't coming.

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Interesting notes on WR with Eagles at Z, Washington at X and Whittington in the slot. Moore was playing slot before his suspension and if he comes back, someone very talented is not going to be a starter when you consider Jake Smith as well.  

Washington probably loses in that whole ordeal. I would think the season starts with Washington-Smith-Eagles and ends as Eagles-Whittington or Moore-Smith. Either way, the top of that depth chart looks a lot better than it did a few weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I would not say helicopter. He just seems to not believe Herman is a leader he can trust his kids to, can't blame him.

Given the reports of Papa Brock being flabbergasted that Clemson didn't immediately rush to annoint James their center of the future, I'm thinking seeing some helicopter-ness is a justified reaction.

• Like 4

I'm apparently in the minority that still wants Whittington to get snaps at RB. 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which makes no sense because one of his sons is already on the team and earned a scholarship.

Or because he has a son on the team and is getting first hand information, he has more reason not to like Herman. Don't misunderstand me, I'm pretty sure Herman is a cunty fucker, but Brock is being a bit of a cunt here as well. 

Although, if I remember correctly, the assessment from CTJ was basically that the kids weren't feeling Herman or Texas as much as other schools, and because their old man doesn't like Herman one bit, dad is choosing not to step in and say "No, guys, you're going to Texas." He's letting them make their own decisions, at least until mom weighs in, etc. So honestly, if that's true, I can easily see it being older brother telling the kids what an asshat Herman is and them looking at other pastures. But this is all speculation on my part. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He's nothing like Tavon Austin, but if you mean "a lot like West Virginia gave WR Tavon Austin reps out of the backfield," then I'm right there with you. 

As for the Brockermeyers, I get the impression that there's a whole lot of sound and fury going on that will ultimately mean nothing -- but that isn't necessarily a good thing, just a description of the fact that there is waaaaay more drama than is justified for a college choice. That's recruiting in general, I suppose, but in this case, I just get the feels that it really does come down to the season. A good season, and mama having her say, and Texas wins. A meadokre season, and the fact that Herman is as cuddly as a vomitous warthog becomes a major stumbling block.

• Like 2

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

He's nothing like Tavon Austin, but if you mean "a lot like West Virginia gave WR Tavon Austin reps out of the backfield," then I'm right there with you. 

As for the Brockermeyers, I get the impression that there's a whole lot of sound and fury going on that will ultimately mean nothing -- but that isn't necessarily a good thing, just a description of the fact that there is waaaaay more drama than is justified for a college choice. That's recruiting in general, I suppose, but in this case, I just get the feels that it really does come down to the season. A good season, and mama having her say, and Texas wins. A meadokre season, and the fact that Herman is as cuddly as a vomitous warthog becomes a major stumbling block.

A meadokre season hopefully means Herman gets kicked to the curb and we finally hire a coach worthy of coaching at Texas.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I feel this way about brockermeyer as I did with Collins. Wondering to myself are we the only school in the country that has all American longhorn parents and family struggling to land their kids.   Then we land Collins. Hopefully the same thing pans out.  Even though I don’t follow other schools as much I just rarely here. Cuz dad was an all American and his kid snubs dad school  

Wat.

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which makes no sense because one of his sons is already on the team and earned a scholarship.

Being a walk on lb would not be the same. Plus he now has intel with sample size on the program. 

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Given the reports of Papa Brock being flabbergasted that Clemson didn't immediately rush to annoint James their center of the future, I'm thinking seeing some helicopter-ness is a justified reaction.

Dunno, maybe so. Slow playing James with the amount of dumb and mediocre OL we've been running out on the field was not the best move. Hand has improved the OL from bad to average but this is a big year for him, time to avoid ass poundings like we had vs. ou and baylor.

33 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Right on.

This is about where I’m at also on these players. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Being a walk on lb would not be the same. Plus he now has intel with sample size on the program. 

Dunno, maybe so. Slow playing James with the amount of dumb and mediocre OL we've been running out on the field was not the best move. Hand has improved the OL from bad to average but this is a big year for him, time to avoid ass poundings like we had vs. ou and baylor.

I was as vocal about anyone in regards to taking so long to offer James. But that issue doesn't seem to be related to the current issue(s). Clemson hasn't even offered James at all and they love Clemson, up until they got feedback they didn't like. But they were in love with them up until then, and James STILL hadn't been offered. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or because he has a son on the team and is getting first hand information, he has more reason not to like Herman. Don't misunderstand me, I'm pretty sure Herman is a cunty fucker, but Brock is being a bit of a cunt here as well. 

Although, if I remember correctly, the assessment from CTJ was basically that the kids weren't feeling Herman or Texas as much as other schools, and because their old man doesn't like Herman one bit, dad is choosing not to step in and say "No, guys, you're going to Texas." He's letting them make their own decisions, at least until mom weighs in, etc. So honestly, if that's true, I can easily see it being older brother telling the kids what an asshat Herman is and them looking at other pastures. But this is all speculation on my part. 

So we are to believe that Luke, who had no other P5 offers 

1) hates Herman so much that he worked his ass off to earn a scholarship

2) continues to hate Herman to the extent that he's telling his more talented little bros to go elsewhere

3) but despite this hate decides he's going to stay at the school in Herman's program

Sounds legit.

I'll start getting worried about the Brock bros when Luke transfers, ala the Pounceys.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

2) continues to hate Herman to the extent that he's telling his more talented little bros to go elsewhere

3) but despite this hate decides he's going to stay at the school in Herman's program

Sounds legit.

He had an Oregon State offer

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Sounds legit.

So, you think a kid who grew up loving Texas his entire life and worked to get a scholarship through hard work and love of football and his university would give all that up to transfer to a shitty school with a likely inferior education because he hates Tom Herman? Especially now that he's on scholarship and probably wouldn't be on scholarship elsewhere if he transferred? Your expectations on human behavior seem out of whack and completely fucking retarded. 

There's a huge gap between giving honest feedback about the program to his parents and brothers and them making their own mind up, and just trashing it 247. Like the fact players have to wake up at 3 am to guzzle water so they can pass their fucking piss test at 5 am. The people IN the program have wildly critical comments on how the program is run, but you think what, he's not going to be honest with his family if they ask? 

I don't like Tom Herman. I'm still a fucking fan of UT though, to the point that I've donated to the Athletic Department and college. I guess that's just mind blowing to you, huh?

3 hours ago, Caddox said:

He's a lying dog-faced pony scout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

It’s probably not the case here, but it certainly doesn’t help UT recruiting that the program isn’t accommodating to scouts. I need to find the article again, but it seems like UT has pretty rigid rules for scout visitation and limited availability to watch players practice.

Maybe this article???

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/28/welcome-tuscaloosa-why-pro-scouts-love-visiting-alabama 

Mentions college coaches that NFL Scouts say are more accommodating...

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Washington probably loses in that whole ordeal. I would think the season starts with Washington-Smith-Eagles and ends as Eagles-Whittington or Moore-Smith. Either way, the top of that depth chart looks a lot better than it did a few weeks ago. 

I guess I am struggling with why we need a graduate transfer at WR? Our top five receivers are pretty damn good. So we have a drop off from 5th to 6th?  Lewis probably rounds out the top 6. If its just aggregate numbers we are lacking we should have been pushing harder late in this cycle for more receivers. 

As it stands now if I am a grad transfer looking for the best place to get into the lineup, Texas looks like a poor choice. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also, yes, not having Jamison return punts and kicks is beyond fucking stupid, so naturally I assume it will be Jake Smith. 

If we give punt returns to Jake instead of Jamison, Herman is dead to me.

And I say that irrespective of Jake’s fumble against OSU with less than 20 seconds to go in the half.  I put that on Coach Mensa because there is no way you should be attempting to field a punt in that spot with so little time remaining.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cochamps said:

If we give punt returns to Jake instead of Jamison, Herman is dead to me.

And I say that irrespective of Jake’s fumble against OSU with less than 20 seconds to go in the half.  I put that on Coach Mensa because there is no way you should be attempting to field a punt in that spot with so little time remaining.

I'll trust Coach Coleman to decide who is best to return punts and kickoffs....

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'll trust Coach Coleman to decide who is best to return punts and kickoffs....

Coach Boulware is listed as Special Teams Coach on Texassports.com.  But that doesn’t matter to me, as Coach Mensa would say, “this isn’t rocket surgery”.  JMO.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I guess I am struggling with why we need a graduate transfer at WR? Our top five receivers are pretty damn good. So we have a drop off from 5th to 6th?  Lewis probably rounds out the top 6. If its just aggregate numbers we are lacking we should have been pushing harder late in this cycle for more receivers. 

As it stands now if I am a grad transfer looking for the best place to get into the lineup, Texas looks like a poor choice. 

It's both a numbers game and lack of experience.

Spread teams average suiting out 9 WRs, plus 2-3 others on scholarship.

We are at 7+3 right now, with a single upper classmen - (0,1,5,2,3) so we are basically behind the experience/numbers average for 2 years, but then ahead of it.

A transfer helps fill in the experience gap without taking up an extra scholarship longterm.

Edited by JBJ

Kids hate feeling like everyone expects them to make a decision almost as much as having the decision made for them. The Brockermeyers are just being able to flex their independence and evaluate their top tier opportunities. The longer they hold off on committing and the more they make people question who they will pick, the more likely they will come back to their first love. Regardless, this will be a battle to the end.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Kids hate feeling like everyone expects them to make a decision almost as much as having the decision made for them. The Brockermeyers are just being able to flex their independence and evaluate their top tier opportunities. The longer they hold off on committing and the more they make people question who they will pick, the more likely they will come back to their first love. Regardless, this will be a battle to the end.

Excellent point. Especially middle, or not first born, children. 

6 hours ago, NoName said:

...clearly, the value of a Stanford education > Florida or OkState

BUT WHAT IS THE VALUE OF A STANFORD EDUCATION VS A TEXAS EDUCATION?!?!?!?!?!

Looks like that depends on what a person wants to major in. For example, Texas has the #1 undergrad Accounting program in the country while Stanford is #8. But the ranking for the best overall Business School has Stanford at #2 and Texas at #19. How they boil these down with all the other undergrad and grad programs I have no clue. Some kind of voodoo magic I guess.