Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

We get it, you're the resident Hand skeptic.Ā  Ā Between this post, @Blackcat00Ā floating in to tell us everything's going to be fine with a drifting 5-star recruit,Ā and @golfclapĀ using Drayton as his negative example in a mostlyĀ unrelated post, everyone's really playing the hits today.

Ā 

Ā  "And the Hits just keep on Coming..."

Ā 

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Excerpt from Humidor

Speed and coverage is the name of the game. Even before the Overshown move became official we were hearing rumblings of how important running and coverage ability was. I had a feeling things would become more noticeable when they started offering kids and you can see it in the offers (I'll post more about that tomorrow).

Basically, they're not looking for big corners, they're looking for cover corners. They still want length but they're not going to sacrifice movement skills for it. Reference Isaiah Dunson from the last cycle who this staff backed off of. Big corners will become safeties, big safeties will become linebackers.

Ā 

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here is Rivald state rankings for Texas released today.Ā  Jordon Thomad at #51 seems low.Ā  They aren't high on Elijah Arroyo or Terrance Cooks.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2021/texas

Ā 

Stowers at 24 is going to melt aggy's little mind.

Burris at 15 and Jackson at 33?

Surprised to see Nussmeier at 14, right behind Stone.Ā  Robertson at 58!

Ā 

JASPER
LOTT

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not a service or a star,Ā but fwiw Bobby Burton I clearly remember touring Mahones as an elite NFL qb while he was still at tech. He was then only guy I remember going out on that limb, and doing it loudly.Ā 

The sun shines on a dogs ass once in a while.Ā 

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

Not saying heā€™s a great evaluator, but he seems to be the most accurate 9.95 er, IMO. Ā I know, thatā€™s a low bar.

Agree itā€™s a low bar. Some are better than others, but most are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. For every ā€œgreat evaluationā€, there are a hundred way off target. Just people like to go back and cherry pick the random successful guessesĀ and attribute that to skill without including the whole picture.Ā 

If they want, 247 could track this evaluationĀ metric over time. But Iā€™m wagering the difference between good evaluators and bad evaluators isnā€™t the chasm people expect it to beĀ 

(Mike Roach) The Breakdown: A closer look at Texas QB recruiting

Plan to sign: 2

Commits: 1 (Jalen Milroe)

Top Targets: Sawyer Robertson, Garrett Nussmeier

On the radar: Kaidon Salter

On scholarship at Texas in 2020: 4 - Sam Ehlinger (SR), Casey Thompson (RS-SO), Hudson Card (FR), Jaā€™Quinden Jackson (FR)

Breakdown: Despite having a stellar commitment in Jalen Milroe, Texas is still looking at taking two at the position. In the age of the transfer portal, taking extra numbers at the quarterback position is almost a requirement. Ehlinger enters his senior year, and Thompson is the only other quarterback on the roster with any game experience. Still, Thompson contemplated leaving Texas before last season and even entered his name into the transfer portal for a short period of time before pulling it out following the departure of Cameron Rising. Should Thompson have the same ideas this spring, Texas would be down to two true freshman behind Ehlinger.

Before Texas made the decision to recruit secondary options at quarterback, they communicated everything to Jalen Milroe and his family. Still, taking two quarterbacks is a delicate high-wire act, but itā€™s not one this staff is unfamiliar with. In their first full cycle, Texas took a two-man class of Rising and Thompson. Though they eventually lost Rising to the portal, there were no real hiccups along the way. Herman and his staff did it once again in 2020 when they landed two 247Sports top 100 prospects in Card and Jackson.

It will be another difficult tightrope with Milroe already on board and a vital piece of the 2021 recruiting class. Not only is Milroe a strong recruiter, he has an incredible ceiling at the quarterback position and the dual-threat skill Tom Herman typically recruits. Yurcich targeted two pro-style passers in Robertson and Nussmeier. Outside of the two initial offers, Yurcich hasnā€™t moved on any other passers, but he did stop by Cedar Hill to see Salter during January. The Longhorns donā€™t seem to be close to adding that second quarterback to the group, but you can bet they will if theyā€™re able to find the right guy.

Ā 

Anwar:Ā  "Corby Meekins is leaving his support staff role to coach tight ends at Houston"

Wondering how well this current coaching staff is gonna be able to recruit in the Houston area now.Ā  Might be good for Herman to hire another Texas High School coach as an analyst along with Everett Withers??

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not a service or a star,Ā but fwiw Bobby Burton I clearly remember touring Mahones as an elite NFL qb while he was still at tech. He was then only guy I remember going out on that limb, and doing it loudly.Ā 

Ā 

Nahlin was talking him up as anĀ NFL prospect while he was at Tech as well.

Burton was also very very high on Jalen Hurts and didn't understand how Charlie didn't go after him instead of Buchele.Ā  He even wrote that at the end of the cycle notes for 2016, and I remember Shag (including me) making fun of him for acting like Shane wasn't a better prospect.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Burton was also very very high on Jalen Hurts and didn't understand how Charlie didn't go after him instead of Buchele.Ā  He even wrote that at the end of the cycle notes for 2016, and I remember Shag (including me) making fun of him for acting like Shane wasn't a better prospect.

Are you saying he was right or wrong? I'm not really sure but Hurts didn't do anything to suggest that Burton was definitely right. Shane played on a team with a horrendous coaching situation and then had to leave because he didn't fit the new scheme.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Are you saying he was right or wrong? I'm not really sure but Hurts didn't do anything to suggest that Burton was definitely right. Shane played on a team with a horrendous coaching situation and then had to leave because he didn't fit the new scheme.

I mean atleast Hurts was more durable, no?

20 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Hurts QBd two teams to the Playoff. This is a dumbass take.Ā 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Hurts QBd two teams to the Playoff. This is a dumbass take.Ā 

The number of QBs that couldn't QB Alabama to the playoffs is pretty small. OU's last 2 QBs QB'd them to the playoffs and managed to not get buttfucked to a record breaking tune in it. Making the playoffs from the Big 12 has not been noteworthy since the only team with comparable talent has been us.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1