Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

That kid’s been tearing it up at Vets since he was a sophomore, one of Gilpin’s favorite targets. Pretty good basketball player too. Moved from WR to QB after their starting QB broke his leg or something this past season. Definitely a WR/RB at heart though. 

Honestly it's fun when UT gets a kid from a traditionally underrecruited part of Texas. Though given how gawdawful UTEP's gotten who knows how much talent is there.

Weird that the OL from Edinburg Vela with all the big offers doesn't seem to have signed anywhere: https://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Bailey-46080265/

EDIT: Nevermind he's SMU bound. Good for him.

Edited by texifornia

22 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Burton was also very very high on Jalen Hurts and didn't understand how Charlie didn't go after him instead of Buchele.  He even wrote that at the end of the cycle notes for 2016, and I remember Shag (including me) making fun of him for acting like Shane wasn't a better prospect.

Jalen Hurts was a terrible fit for a Veer & Shoot offense coming out of high school (composite had him at #192 in nation, 247 had him at #104)

Shane Buechele was a good fit for a Veer & Shoot (composite had him at 182 national, 247 had him at 322)

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Jalen Hurts was a terrible fit for a Veer & Shoot offense coming out of high school (composite had him at #192 in nation, 247 had him at #104)

Shane Buechele was a good fit for a Veer & Shoot (composite had him at 182 national, 247 had him at 322)

What, Hurts would have been a great fit for the veer and shoot, which takes reading the defense out the QB's hands.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Buechele committed 8 months before Gilbert was hired.  

• Like 1

Here’s the 247 Stampede from the Pylon event in Fort Worth, can’t spoiler because I’m on my phone. 

With the season over, spring gives way to the busy camp circuit and offseason 7-on-7. Select 7v7 rules the early spring, as school 7v7 warms up to carry us into the summer. Pylon 7v7, one of the premier 7v7 organizations held a tournament in Fort Worth over the weekend. Many teams from around the region attended, and as a result, we were able to see many prospects in action.

During the tournament, Horns247 spoke with multiple Texas targets and sources near their recruitment to get the lowdown on where things stand with each player. We were also able to see Texas quarterback target Garrett Nussmeier in action with a strong performance overall on the day. Of the many talented teams in the field for the weekend tournament, several Texas targets took the field for evaluations. The Longhorns intend to come out of the dead period firing, and many of these targets will be names to know in the coming months.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly collection of recruiting intel, we break down the recruitment of each prospect we saw over the weekend during Pylon 7v7’s Fort Worth tournament.

—One prospect we were excited to see was Flower Mound Marcus quarterback Garrett Nussmeier. The 2021 gunslinger was offered by Mike Yurcich shortly after he arrived at Texas, and he’s one of the key targets to be the second quarterback take for the Longhorns in the 2021 class. Nussmeier is a fan of Yurcich, and he said the Texas offer was one he was waiting on for quite a while. He plans to make visits to Texas, Missouri, LSU, and North Carolina following the dead period before making his call on April 12th. His visits will be unofficial, and he plans for his only official to be to the school of his choice. LSU holds the 247Sports with three predictions on the Tigers. The Bayou Bengals certainly have a few factors in their corner, including the recent hire of family friend Scott Linehan. Still, the Tigers are working out their quarterback pecking order, and they are in on five-star prospect Caleb Williams. Should their quarterback situation get messy down the stretch, Texas might be able to swoop in and land Nuss.

—I think Texas is in a good position for Skyline safety Isaiah Nwokobia. After offering Nwokobia prior to the dead period, Texas appears to be in a tight race with SMU, and to some extent, Cal and Minnesota. SMU is probably the primary means of competition, and the Mustangs are for real. The ponies are selling Dallas in a big way to players in the city, and it’s a pitch that’s going over well. Add in a highly-rated player like Preston Stone to lead the charge, and the Mustangs are generating serious momentum with Dallas-area prospects. One prospect in particular to watch out for is Duncanville OL Savion Byrd who has been to SMU just about every time they open the doors. Nwokobia is very close with the SMU staff and Mustang’s RB coach Ra’Shaad Samples, but he also struck up a strong relationship with Chris Ash and Jay Valai. Nwokobia is looking at taking some spring visits before making a summer official, and I believe Texas is right at the top of his list.

—The Longhorns will have their shot to win over Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem in the spring, but they are going to have to get through some big competition to land the top corner in the state. Ibraheem wants to take his officials quickly and make a decision in the summer, and he named Texas, LSU, Michigan, and Georgia as schools that were sure to get official trips. Ibraheem recently visited Austin, and he said he was impressed with cornerbacks coach Jay Valai. Ibraheem was previously close to Jason Washington, but he said that he enjoyed meeting with Valai and Chris Ash, and the Longhorns are a lock for an official visit. Ibraheem has family in Michigan and he previously lived in Georgia. He’s also enamored with the history LSU has at producing NFL defensive backs in recent years, so Texas will have their hands full to land him.

—The Longhorns have been doing some checking on Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon, but it seems they might wait until spring to evaluate before offering. Texas wants to find physical press corners who can run, and Harmon can certainly do that. While he may not have the requisite size, they want out of the position, Harmon is one of the best defensive playmakers in the state. He also has a background with Jay Valai, as Valai used to work as a trainer for Deuce and his brother De’Vion Harmon. The biggest issue seems to be in finding a fit, but Harmon has the versatility to play multiple positions in the secondary. Right now, Texas A&M holds a pretty good lead, and Texas will have to work to overcome it if they want him.

—One player to watch during the spring is 2021 Austin LBJ ATH Andrew Mukuba. The local prospect visited Texas before the dead period, and he has the skillset to rise during the spring. Mukuba feels that he will be a spring eval target, and Texas could offer if they like what they see from him. Oklahoma made an early impact on him, and TCU is another school recruiting him hard thus far into his junior year.

—2022 is loaded at the cornerback position, but there’s a lot to like with Katy cornerback Bobby Taylor Jr. Taylor has a long and lanky frame, and his athleticism suggests he’s going to grow into a high-ceiling prospect at the cornerback position. Taylor is still wide open in his recruitment, but Texas made an impression on him during the visit he took. He was pretty close to committing to Texas A&M earlier in the spring, but it seems like his offers have opened his mind to other possibilities.

—New Texas offer Dasan McCullough was hard to miss on the field. At 6-foot-4, 185 pounds, McCullough was one of the more physically impressive defenders on the field. McCullough’s father Deland McCullough works as the running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs, and the family has a connection with Jay Valai going back to Valai’s time on the Chief’s staff. McCullough was intrigued by the offer, and he plans to make a visit to Austin in the spring, and he said that he’s looking forward to seeing and experiencing the football culture in Texas.

—2022 Denison RB Jadarian Price said he hasn’t heard much from Texas lately, but they are still on his mind. The top in-state player in 2022, Price visited Austin several times in the last year. Despite the drop in contact, Price is still enamored with Texas and wants to get back in the spring. The Longhorns are still sorting out their offensive targets with the new staff in place, but Price is a prospect who is very high on Texas early.

—Lewisville WR Armani Winfield is one of the top 2022 prospects in the state, and he’s planning to make a trip to Austin in March. Schools like Oklahoma and Texas A&M have been big players in his recruitment early, and his contact with Texas has been inconsistent due to staff turnover. Winfield is a fan of Mike Yurcich, and he said the Texas offensive coordinator is taking a hands-on approach to his recruitment. It’s still pretty early for Winfield, but Texas needs to start making up some ground in this recruitment right now if they hope to have a chance with one of the top 2022 in-state receivers.

—2022 Manvel inside linebacker Justin Medlock hasn’t been offered by Texas as of yet, but he’s planning to visit in March. Medlock said that new linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler stopped by his school, and he enjoyed his brief meeting with the new Texas assistant. Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Purdue, and SMU have already offered, and Medlock will surely be one of the top players at his position in his class. Texas has the chance to make an early mark with him after the dead period.

—If you’re looking for two down-the-road offer candidates, look no further than 2021 McKinney North wide receiver JJ Henry and 2022 Lancaster wide receiver Phaizon Wilson. Henry is an electric slot receiver with great production and electric speed. Henry said he recently spoke with Bryan Carrington, and he believes Texas is interested. Wilson visited Austin before the dead period, and he said he was blown away by the experience. Wilson already holds a Florida offer in addition to Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, and Kansas

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not that it’s really all that surprising, but LSU is gonna be a pain in the ass this cycle. They’re recruiting nationally and at an elite level, so I’m not sure how many Texas recruits they’ll be in on, but they’ll be difficult for sure. Beating them in Baton Rouge certainly wouldn’t hurt. 

And SMU is going to be a pain in the ass for blOU which pleases me greatly. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

2022 Manvel inside linebacker Justin Medlock hasn’t been offered by Texas as of yet, but he’s planning to visit in March. Medlock said that new linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler stopped by his school, and he enjoyed his brief meeting with the new Texas assistant. Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Purdue, and SMU have already offered, and Medlock will surely be one of the top players at his position in his class. Texas has the chance to make an early mark with him after the dead period.

Not sure why they didn't mention this in the update but Medlock's cousin is Cedar Hill QB Kaidon Salter and I think this might be the actual rare package deal that really is a package deal. I also don't think Salter will want to be a QB2 take. I like Medlock a lot but I wonder how much more weight/size he can put on. 

Phaizon Wilson is going to be a national recruit and would be an ideal scheme fit. 

Makuba was wanting to go OOS last I heard, but he's exactly the kind of guy that SweatyGary loves. So I could see that happening. I think Mack/UNC is also one to watch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Can HtownHorn actually forget something if he’s never known or understood anything in the first place?

Listen, I of all people understand and agree with what you're saying. Pointing out the obvious hopefully serves as a benefit for the rest of the board who might not be as familiar with his particular brand of contribution. It's also important to consistently remind people that Norla Horn is a fall down, incoherent drunk and Randolph Duke is basically Kevin Spacey from Se7en.

tumblr_no466eoqz21qi1uh9o2_540.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

He's just being polite to those coaches ya stupid sip. Whoop!

Stupid Sips, the more he gets to know Titty Bar Tom the more he'll know he doesn't want to go to be coached by a con man like him.  We gave a contract to Jimbo that lets Ibraheem know Jimbo will be here his whole career. Advantage Aggy.

IT Scoop

After posting how closely the staff monitors body fat percentage I was curious how involved nutritionists were with the players. It sounds like they're very involved with meal planning, even up-to-the-minute, as the players are picking their meals in real-time. They'll walk players through, detailing what they need when it comes to protein, carbs, and fats based on the player's individual goals. Basically, nutritionists are the good angel sitting atop the player's shoulder.

I asked about a few players we haven't talked about much. Inevitably, if we discuss 25 players we'll be asked about a 26th. We were asked about redshirt freshman wide receiver Kennedy Lewis on Friday.

I was told he did a good job on scout team last season. Whoever the best receiver was on the offense the defense was preparing for, that would be Lewis. Whether it was Ja'Marr Chase or Denzel Mims, Kennedy Lewis would give the defense the best look he could. The source said Lewis got better looks than any receiver in practice last year because he got to compete versus the ones the most. He made his share of plays as well. He showed hands, speed, and competitiveness. He's starting to fill out and getting stronger. He'll work at Z in the spring but behind who remains in question. This year he'll be able to compete for snaps.

I also asked about redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Daniel Carson and redshirt freshman defensive end Myron Warren. I heard essentially the same thing on each. They're both working hard and do everything that's asked of them. They're both dropping excess weight. Carson is about 290 and Warren is about 270. Their biggest issues are the amount of bodies ahead of them. At this point it just comes down to performance.

I asked about redshirt freshman Peter Mpagi. I don't know the full details of his issue, but he is still not cleared to participate.

You may have noticed Spring football was pushed back a little later in the calendar than normal. It won't begin until March 24th and will conclude with the spring game on April 25th. Typically spring ball is over around the 15th. This was done so the players can absorb as much of the new schemes as possible. The coaches want the players to hit the field with as much understanding as possible. Smart.

Tom Herman and his staff will hold yet another coaching clinic. In years past Herman's keynote speaker has been Bill Belichick and Sean McVay. This year's headliner won't be a huge surprise. Edit: Mike Vrabel

JAYLIN SMITH

Early ratings and rankings are bad. If you're the sort to watch film it's important to watch a player before looking up his profile page. When defensive back Jaylin Smith was offered last week it didn't stir conversation like a national elite being offered would have, but it should have.

The athlete from Alemany high school in Mission Hills, California, is currently rated an .86 but he's in for a significant bump as the network corrects to the market input that matters most -- offers.

In addition to picking up a Texas offer on the 11th, he also picked up a Clemson offer on the 10th.

Inside Texas: It's early, but what schools are standing out?

Jaylin Smith: USC, Washington, Penn State, Clemson, and Texas all stand out the most. They have winning tradition and a championship mentality to push their players to a higher level.

IT: Where have you visited so far and where do you plan on going?

JS: I've been to USC and Cal. On my spring break I plan on visiting Washington, Clemson, and Texas.

IT: What are you looking for in a school?

JS: A good home with great people around me. Guys who want to work, that want to push guys to do good things and just be a good citizen. Academics have to be a good fit for me.

IT: How did the relationship with Texas get started?

JS: Coach Ash came to one of our 6:00 a.m. workouts. We met at the school and have been talking and texting for about three weeks now.

IT: Texas fans are still getting to know Coach Ash. How does he come across?

JS: He's a great guy, a great coach, great mindset. He knows a lot about the game. He sends me film of the Texas guys. We talk about scheme but we don't just talk about football, we talk about being a good man.

IT: What position does he see you at? You already play nickel, but you seem like you can play anything in the secondary. What's your current size?

JS: Hybrid safety, all of them. I'm up to 6-foot and 185 pounds.

IT: Does Ash's time at Ohio State resonate with you?

JS: Growing up watching those games is something in the back of my mind.

IT: Do you have any family members playing football in college? (He was putting off a football vibe like a Texas recruit)

JS: My whole background is football. My brother played, my cousins play, my little brothers play, and my dad has coached for 20 years.

Smith comes across as well over the phone as he does on his highlight tape. He's going to be successful no matter where he goes.

Beyond Smith, I think it's telling how Ash goes about recruiting. Pretty impressive for a defensive coordinator.

TWO QUICK DB NOTES

Texas looking out-of-state for safeties shouldn't come as too big of a surprise. The in-state crop has a lot of solid options but it's hard to know which player, if any, might emerge as a sure-fire take over the course of their senior year. Rather than wait until it's too late to find that out, the staff is being proactive.

Skyline's Isaiah Nwokobia and Cy Ranch's Romario Noelpicked up offers just before the dead period.

Nwokobia: Been hearing from Texas, SMU, and Minnesota the most. He's going to visit those schools this spring and see what other offers come in before setting official visits later in the spring/early summer ahead of a summer announcement.

Noel: He committed to the previous Baylor staff but has remained committed to Dave Aranda. I think he could be a linebacker long-term. He's hearing the most from UT, Baylor, and Kansas. He's waiting for his dad to return stateside before figuring out a visit schedule.

Expect Texas to continue to mine out-of-state players while recruiting domestically.

It might be the dead period for college coaches, but we still get contact with some of the state's and nation's best athletes.

I caught up with three Texas targets for 2021 to better understand where they are with the Horns heading into the spring. Plus some Pylon 7-on-7 notes from Sunday's event in Fort Worth.

Jonah Miller, 6'8, 300, Salpointe (Tucson, AZ) ---

After a big season in 2019, Miller is looking to slim down and get his body reshaped for his final year at Salpointe Catholic.

"My plan over the offseason is to kind of shred some baby fat off and get just overall faster, more lean," said Miller. "I want to work more on my footwork and master those fundamental skills to push my game further than it already is.“

Miller holds offers from the top west coast programs - Oregon, Washington, USC - as well as Florida and Tennessee. While the Ducks are the school to watch out west, he's still has eyes for Texas.

“Texas is one of my top schools," said Miller. "The program speaks for itself. It would be great to maybe be a part of the rebuilding they are doing."

Playing with former five-star teammate and current Texas signee Bijan Robinson isn't too shabby either.

“Austin is one of my officials," Miller said. "I've been twice and can't wait to get back."

This dude is all Texas. In 2021, the OL numbers will be interesting. I could see at least five, maybe six takes in this cycle. Miller might be a bird in the hand.

Garrett Nussmeier, 6'2, 182, Flower Mound Marcus ---

Texas, LSU, and North Carolina; those are the three schools that will get unofficial visits very soon. He's set a commitment date for April 12, 2020. Now, he won't go public for at least a week following, but he'd like to do it around Easter, when he'll be with his family and friends.

The four-star signal-caller from Flower Mound Marcus picked up his Texas offer right after UT hired OC Mike Yurcich. He had a previous relationship with Yurcich from Okie State and Ohio State, and when Yurcich got the gig, he almost predicted an offer.

He knows Texas wants two quarterbacks in 2021. He also knows Jalen Milroe is one of them. Right now, with LSU hiring Scott Linehan to replace Joe Brady, who worked with his father with the Dallas Cowboys, they might have the quiet lead. But Nussmeier spoke highly of Yurcich and Tom Herman, along with Mack Brown and Ed Orgeron.

I'd expect to see Nussmeier in Austin over the next couple months. Along with Lubbock Coronado's Sawyer Roberston, Yurcich has identified who he wants to join the 2021 class.

For LSU, five-star QB Caleb Williams might be the decider. If he doesn't choose Clemson, and picks the Tigers, then UT might lead with Nussmeier. Williams is a domino to watch.

Deuce Harmon, 5'9, 182, Denton Guyer ---

The 2021 defensive back was impressive Sunday. He can plant and go with great quickness. He also brings a dog mentality. He opened up on recruiting and 2020. Texas A&M and Notre Dame will be factors here, but a Texas offer would change things.

On Pylon 7-on-7 and bonding with teammates:
"I'm trying to get this good connection going and have a fun weekend with them. I'm ready for this 7-on-7 to start back up. I've been waiting since last year since it ended because we didn't really have good stuff going on. I've been hungry for this."

On expectations for senior year:
"I'm expecting to build on it. We're a little bit low, but I think we're going to find a way with our quarterback being out. We're going to hold it down until he gets back. Hopefully, he comes back stronger and that's what I'm praying for, but I think we'll be good." 

On improvements as a technician:
"I always can improve on everything, even the stuff I'm good at - I still have more room for improvement. I want to be a student of the game and tell what they're running or have a good idea of the plays they're running before they hike the ball. That is always good and it's a matter of studying." 

On recruiting:
"Texas A&M is pushing for me hard. Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU are all pushing for me hard. I just got Virginia Tech and they're going for me hard. Notre Dame is getting after me hard. I have big-time colleges trying to push for me."

On Notre Dame:
"They're telling me they really want me and I'd be a good fit for them not only on the football side, but the classroom side too."

On the ND brand:
"I feel good about them. I can't wait to go over there and take a visit. I'm going on April 4th."

On Texas:
"We have a good connection. I've worked out with him when I was young. What I've heard, they're waiting to see my press and if I can press and run. I know I can do that.

You feel good about Texas?
"I think they'll be offering me soon."

A trio of 2022s will also be visiting Texas this spring. Four-star's Armani Winfield (Lewisville), Jadarian Price (Denison), and unranked Jay Rockwell (Spring Hill) are three that jump off the page.

For Winfield, it's not the 26 offers from schools like Alabama, LSU, and Florida, it's the attention he gets from UT, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. For the Horns, they stopped by Lewisville twice last month checking on the 6-foot-2, 190-pound pass-catcher. Winfield has been talking to coach Yurcich and coach Coleman. He's looking forward to getting back to Austin in March.

For Price, I see one of the state's top tailbacks in the 2022 class. He joins Jaydon Blue (Klein Cain) and Emeka Megwa(FW Nolan Catholic) as my top junior ball-carriers in-state. Price will take visits this spring, with UT, Ohio State, and USC as potential spots. he hopes to build a better relationship with Stan Drayton and Mike Yurcich. This kid loves Texas, y'all.

For Rockwell, it's a matter of time. At 6-foot-3, 188 pounds, he's the one most under the radar. With early offers from UTSA and Florida International, he's starting to here from bigger schools like UT, TCU, and Baylor. His older brother, Vincent, recently inked with Lamar. He's one to watch.

BOLD PREDICTION: If Dallas Skyline WR Quay Davis' odds were Texas or the field, I'd say orange house.

• Like 3