Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 2/18/2020 at 8:23 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There’s some talk of Ash preferring to field two true defensive ends instead of an OLB but that remains to be seen

I like how they act like this is some new development. Unless Ash had some grand epiphany during the 2019 season while eating Cheetos and downing Natty lites from his recliner every Saturday, he’s used a 4 down everywhere he’s gone. He’s using this Jack position for now becuase Ossai and Dorbah will be his best pass rushers for the next 2-3 years. Once we have more true DEs in the program, I fully expect him to go back to 4 down. 

So far, I like his willingness to tweak his defense to his personnel on hand, and spinning down Overshown is a good sign. The other thing I’m watching for is how much he tries use a 4-3 vs 4-2-5 and whether he picks more of a safety or CB type to play Nickel. 

On 2/18/2020 at 8:23 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT (Nahlin): Recruiting primer - Defense

Hide contents

Last week I wrote about the offensive big board for the 2021 class. This week we’ll focus on the defense.

Whenever a new coordinator is brought in it’s interesting to watch who they offer. You can tell within a small margin of error what a staffs intentions are by who they offer. The offers will corroborate stated intent.

The instate strength of the class is exactly where you need it to be to win at a championship level — on the defensive line. Texas will have to nail that group. Linebacker numbers should be easy to meet. The defensive back-field is equipped with some good players but the talent is only decent by instate standards. The staff has recognized that and is casting a wider net.

Defensive End/Jack (2-3)

Committed: Ja’Tavion Sanders (Denton Ryan)

Targets: Landon Jackson (Pleasant Grove); Tunmise Adeleye (IMG); Jordon Thomas (Port Arthur Memorial); Clayton Smith (Texarkana): Travion Ford (Luther North, St. Louis MO)

Commentary: With the move away from a three-man front Texas has a surplus of interior players and a deficit of edge rushers. Sanders will go a long way towards evening the balance. He’s a borderline five-star. The rest of the targets will be difficult, though not impossible, to pull. Jackson sets up to be a UT/A&M battle long-term. The Aggies have confidence they can shut him down this spring but we’re not so sure. Shades of Joseph Ossai, perhaps? Tunmise moving to IMG certainly didn’t help UT’s chances. Texas is in the conversation because of the four-man front but Adeleye is going to select a winning program and Texas has a lot to prove. Thomas will have his swings between UT, A&M, and LSU. Smith and Ford project towards Jack. There’s some talk of Ash preferring to field two true defensive ends instead of an OLB but that remains to be seen and many Jacks can be comfortable grown into true defensive ends. Smith likes LSU. Ford seems pretty open but he plans on visiting Austin this spring and he was texting with OGOG on Sunday. Ideally Texas won’t have to offer too many more at this position. Sanders being committed already means they can remain patient. Also, UT’s edge players should paint an enticing picture for recruits this season.

Defensive Tackle (2)

Committed: N/A

Targets: Marcus Burris (Pleasant Grove); Shemar Turner (DeSoto); Aaron Armitage (Blair Academy, Blairstown NJ); E’Maurion Banks, (Wichita Falls Rider)

Commentary: These are defensive ends in high school but will most likely grow into interior players. I’m projecting the class long-term. The staff is well within its right to recruit them as ends because they can all move well. The staff made a bit of an impression on Burris on his most recent visit. He wants a smaller environment so the more visits to UT to get used to the size of it the better. I talked to DeSoto head coach Claude Mathis on Sunday and he says Turner is wide open and won’t decide until after the season. I think UT is in a pretty good spot here. He’s an NFL specimen. Armitage knew Coach Ash when Ash he was at Rutgers. There’s a Van Fillinger element here in that Texas could maybe steal him before some other schools truly start pushing. He likes Notre Dame but they aren’t pushing all that hard. Texas should get him for a visit and take it from there. Banks has really good baseline traits but they may have some other questions. As far as true defensive tackles go, there doesn’t appear to be any on the radar yet.

Linebacker (2-3)

Committed: Derrick Harris (New Caney)

Targets: Terrence Cooks (Shadow Creek); Morice Blackwell (Arlington Martin); Romario Noel (Cy Ranch)

Commentary: They’re probably visualizing Harris for Mike. Cooks is athletic enough for Will and he’s a must-get. Blackwell has picked up some solid offers but he may be one they want to get to know better before they start pushing. Remember Ernest Cooper is the 2022 Martin defensive end who might be one of a handful of in-state five-stars in that class. Noel plays safety but looks like a future Will to me. He’s committed to Baylor and taking things slow. Texas has offered some big out-of-state talents but we’re not aware of any traction with them. You have to like their chances with Cooks. If they pair him with Harris they’ll be able to play the long game with either an elite or late bloomer. Expect more out-of-state activity at linebacker.

Safety (2)

Committed: Billy Bowman (Denton Ryan)

Targets: Calen Bullock (John Muir, Pasadena CA); Isaiah Nwokobia (Dallas Skyline); Jantzen Dunn (South Warren, Bowling Green KY); Jaylin Smith (Bishop Alemany, Mission CA); Terrion Arnold (John Paul II, Tallahassee FL)

Commentary: Billy Badass is in his own category of safety/nickel. The great news is he’s firm. The bad news is he’s the biggest roadblock to Deuce Harmon (Denton Guyer) being offered. I don’t know much about Bullock other than he’s in the Deionte Thompson mold. I’ll try and learn more there. I like his tape and I like that he has a teammate they’re also recruiting at cornerback. Nwokobia has good cover skills packaged in a mature build. He’ll visit Texas again this spring. I anticipate some bigger schools jumping in the picture this spring (USC offered last night). I like this offer, but you’d love to see some senior film with him. Dunn is a freak athlete with good length who will visit in March. I would take Smith right now if he wanted to commit. I profiled him in the Scoop. He’ll visit in April. I don’t know Arnold beyond the fact he’s the hardest hitting good basketball player I can recall. His hometown makes me think he’s unlikely to end up in Austin.

Cornerback (3)

Committed: N/A

Targets: Ishmael Ibraheem (Dallas Kimball); Latrell McCutchin (Austin LBJ); Hunter Washington (Katy); Tony Grimes (Princess Anne, Virginia Beach VA); Jamier Johnson (John Muir, Pasadena CA)

Commentary: Ibraheem and McCutchin will duel for best corner in the state this season. I think McCutchin is a little more open than he lets on despite his Alabama commitment. Ibraheem is still getting to know new corners coach Jay Valai. We’re not feeling quite as well as we were a couple of months ago but there’s time to forge a good relationship for Valai. Washington is in no hurry to make a decision. I think that recruitment boils down to how hard Texas recruits him. Grimes is a pipe dream but he’ll visit again. I need to learn more about Jamier Johnson. It’s good to see the Texas staff being proactive in California again.

I’d love to see an offer go out to Deuce Harmon as a defensive back but I understand how his skill-set is a bit redundant to Bowman's.

Some of my position projections may be off but for now I’m working on the assumption that most big corners are safeties and most big safeties are linebackers.

We obviously need to load up at CB this cycle. I like Bowman more as a Nickel than a safety and my guess is the staff does too, otherwise it seems like they would’ve offered Harmon already. But either way, we’re probably going to need another round of CB offers. I’ll be surprised if we land even two of the guys IT listed at CB in this piece. Depending on if any of our 3 CBs from the 2018 class declare, it would probably be good to try to supplement this position with a GT or JUCO. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We obviously need to load up at CB this cycle. I like Bowman more as a Nickel than a safety and my guess is the staff does too, otherwise it seems like they would’ve offered Harmon already. But either way, we’re probably going to need another round of CB offers. I’ll be surprised if we land even two of the guys IT listed at CB in this piece. Depending on if any of our 3 CBs from the 2018 class declare, it would probably be good to try to supplement this position with a GT or JUCO. 

CB looks really bad right now, but it's also the position that we can make noise oos with.

We'll see more CB nickels than S if the plan is to press which is supported by the move of Cook to nickel. Idk what Bowman's coverage ability is like.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

CB looks really bad right now, but it's also the position that we can make noise oos with.

We'll see more CB nickels than S if the plan is to press which is supported by the move of Cook to nickel. Idk what Bowman's coverage ability is like.

I hope this is the case, but I’m not going to expect it to happen until I see it. I could see him trying to run a pseudo 4-3/4-2-5 with BJ Foster as a WLB/Nickel.

Otherwise, I’d like to see him move Foster to LB. If not, you’re going to have two spots on the field for Sterns, Foster, Brown, Adimora, Estell, and Owens. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What a fucking little bitch.. Between this and his shit about us disrespecting him because we offered him a cunt-hair behind Alabama, and he can go fuck himself. I dont care how badly we need CBs, I'm not firmly in the "dodged a bullet" category with this clown, and @closetojumping's prognostication is looking pretty good at this point regarding this kid. Hope his ranking continues to drop and 'Bama processes his ass, and he can end up at aTm with their delightful culture of faggotry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

He's 41 in the composite. 247 has him ranked 14.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just now, crum said:

41 composite, but 14 in 247's own ranking

OKAY. Fuck. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a fucking little bitch.. Between this and his shit about us disrespecting him because we offered him a cunt-hair behind Alabama, and he can go fuck himself. I dont care how badly we need CBs, I'm not firmly in the "dodged a bullet" category with this clown, and @closetojumping's prognostication is looking pretty good at this point regarding this kid. Hope his ranking continues to drop and 'Bama processes his ass, and he can end up at aTm with their delightful culture of faggotry. 

"those things dont matter anyway" 

*proceeds to be so butthurt he blacklists all of 247*

26 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

247 has Ja'Tavion Sanders up to #14 in the country now

Hot Damn. That’s really high for a guy who didn’t even play a ton of DE this year. Almost all of his hudl is him at WR. He did log 14 tackles, 9 TFLs, 4 sacks, and 9 hurries this year, so he played DE some, but it looks like it was less than full time, unlike 2018. 
He is an absolute freak of an athlete being able to be a starting WR on a 5A team that made the state title game. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

41*

Composite is 41 but 247 has him at 14 in their own rankings, just in case you didn’t know.

Edited by Burt Macklin

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Billy Bowman and LJ Johnson moved up a good bit as well.

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

#37 and #30 in the country, respectively.

Image result for nice southpark gif

Those are big jumps for them, as well. I’m not sure I see #30 for Johnson. He’s good, but I’m not sure he has the measurables for a 5* RB. Either way, I hope we land him as RB1 this class. 

Texas 2021 rankings on 247

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Donovan Jackson
3) Ja'Tavion Sanders
4) LJ Johnson
5) Savion Byrd
6) Billy Bowman
7) Camar Wheaton
'8) Cody Jackson
9) Clayton Smith
10) JoJo Earle
11) Landon Jackson
12) Kaidon Salter
13) J.Michael Sturdivant
14) Jalen Milroe
15) Dematrius Davis
16) Ismael Ibraheem
17) Marcus Burris
18) Preston Stone
19) Reuben Fatheree
20) Bryce Foster
21) Eli Stowers
22) Shadrach Banks
23) Ketron Jackson
24) Sawyer Robertson
25) Jordon Thomas
26) Jordan Jenkins
27) Latrell McCutchin
28) Theodore Knox
29) Quaydarius Davis
30) Derrick Harris Jr
31) Behren Morton
32) Kendrick Blackshire
33) Garrett Nussmeier
34) Andrew Mukuba
35) Deuce Harmon
36) Shemar Turner

Tommy Brockermeyer (7) and Donovan Jackson (8) are 5*s. 247 only has eight 5*s right now. Ja'Tavion is #14

Jonah Miller isn't in the top 247, and Bram Walden is #80 overall

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Texas 2021 rankings on 247

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Donovan Jackson
3) Ja'Tavion Sanders
4) LJ Johnson
5) Savion Byrd
6) Billy Bowman
7) Camar Wheaton
'8) Cody Jackson
9) Clayton Smith
10) JoJo Earle
11) Landon Jackson
12) Kaidon Salter
13) J.Michael Sturdivant
14) Jalen Milroe
15) Dematrius Davis
16) Ismael Ibraheem
17) Marcus Burris
18) Preston Stone
19) Reuben Fatheree
20) Bryce Foster
21) Eli Stowers
22) Shadrach Banks
23) Ketron Jackson
24) Sawyer Robertson
25) Jordon Thomas
26) Jordan Jenkins
27) Latrell McCutchin
28) Theodore Knox
29) Quaydarius Davis
30) Derrick Harris Jr
31) Behren Morton
32) Kendrick Blackshire
33) Garrett Nussmeier
34) Andrew Mukuba
35) Deuce Harmon
36) Shemar Turner

Tommy Brockermeyer (7) and Donovan Jackson (8) are 5*s. 247 only has eight 5*s right now. Ja'Tavion is #14

Jonah Miller isn't in the top 247, and Bram Walden is #80 overall

What are your thoughts on Miller? I haven’t been real impressed with him, but we keep seeing reports Hand likes him. I’m hoping he’s a guy we’re trying to keep warm if other options fall through, not someone in our first 5 takes.

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hot Damn. That’s really high for a guy who didn’t even play a ton of DE this year. Almost all of his hudl is him at WR. He did log 14 tackles, 9 TFLs, 4 sacks, and 9 hurries this year, so he played DE some, but it looks like it was less than full time, unlike 2018. 
He is an absolute freak of an athlete being able to be a starting WR on a 5A team that made the state title game. 

Composite is 41 but 247 has him at 14 in their own rankings, just in case you didn’t know.

Any kind of bump from ESPN on Sanders and Bowman and they are right on the fringe or will be 5*'s.  Sanders is #123 and Bowman is #125.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What are your thoughts on Miller? I haven’t been real impressed with him, but we keep seeing reports Hand likes him. I’m hoping he’s a guy we’re trying to keep warm if other options fall through, not someone in our first 5 takes.

I think he's a really good guard prospect in a year where there are about ten good potential guard prospects. He's really aggressive and plays pissed off, which is a primary thing I look for. He's really fluid for how tall he is. Don't think he has the feet to be ideal at tackle, although sometimes when guys are that big, all they need to do is take up space, so maybe he can be considered a swing guy. 

I think Foster and Jackson are a little overrated, and the three guys I love out of the bunch are both Brockermeyers and Byrd, but the quantity of offensive line talent is such that I'm fine with most any of these guys (except for maybe Fatheree). Take four dudes, and then save two spots for the Brockermeyers. If they don't want in late, then the season probably sucked anyway, and we're praying that Matt Campbell has some sort of relationship with the top Texas prospects. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think he's a really good guard prospect in a year where there are about ten good potential guard prospects. He's really aggressive and plays pissed off, which is a primary thing I look for. He's really fluid for how tall he is. Don't think he has the feet to be ideal at tackle, although sometimes when guys are that big, all they need to do is take up space, so maybe he can be considered a swing guy. 

I think Foster and Jackson are a little overrated, and the three guys I love out of the bunch are both Brockermeyers and Byrd, but the quantity of offensive line talent is such that I'm fine with most any of these guys (except for maybe Fatheree). Take four dudes, and then save two spots for the Brockermeyers. If they don't want in late, then the season probably sucked anyway, and we're praying that Matt Campbell has some sort of relationship with the top Texas prospects. 

Get the Brockermeyer's and Byrd and I don't think we'd complain about any combination of Foster/Jackson/Walden/Miller.  Foster would provide a storm of aggy tears.  Roach is saying the opposite on D. Jack that IT was saying ( that he could be flipped if we win ).  Agree with what you say on Miller.  I honestly haven't watched anything on Walden.

Miller has visited twice ( I think? ) on his own dime so he's definately gettable.  He's been crystal balled to USC by Blair Anguilo, but I don't know how old that is.

38 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

He's 41 in the composite. 247 has him ranked 14.

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

38 minutes ago, crum said:

41 composite, but 14 in 247's own ranking

But The Sip commit is only ranked 45 in the Looch 44. 

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This kid whines about everything. He barely even dropped. Went from a 93 rating to a 92.

Wait until his teammate (Makuba**) passes him in the rankings, that fucking crybaby is going to come unhinged. 

** they are not what you'd call friends

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is what we thought would happen with Leal.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Excellent plan. Nobody closes late-cycle like Herman @Katfid54

I guess he could commit to Aggy on his official and shut things down. If that happens he was never gonna come here.

On the flip side, if the Brocks were setting up officials, indicating they're going to take all five, and they scheduled us first, would that make you feel confident? I would feel good about that. (I don't feel good about them, regardless)

xpost from the Aggy2021 thread 

Landon Jackson sets 2 OVs. 

We reported this a couple weeks ago and it had been on his profile, but Landon Jackson confirmed he will take his first official visit to Texas A&M April 17-19.

He also announced he will take his second one to LSU on May 8-10

Per 247 rankings, Louisiana has WRs ranked #41, #51, #121, #133, #157, and #238 in the country, and that's not counting Sage Ryan, who'll be their version of Billy Bowman who might play WR or DB, or Jack Bech who may or may not get an offer. They currently have a WR from Mississippi committed, but Orgeron showed last class that he'll drop long time commits. They're going to be big game national hunting for the position this class, and they likely won't be able to take all of the in-state kids, so there might be a guy or two who'd normally go to LSU who might be ripe for the picking. 

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is what we thought would happen with Leal.

I don’t think it really matters what order he does his OVs in, and I’m doubtful we get him regardless, but there could be worse things than aggy going first with an LSU OV right after. Hopefully he at least holds off committing until he’s done his LSU OV and LSU spends a good bit of the OV shitting on their new little brother.
We’ve seen this before with UT, but when a an elite prospect has a clear leader, all the other schools that will get visits negative recruiting the leader and it may open up the door for us.