Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Per 247 rankings, Louisiana has WRs ranked #41, #51, #121, #133, #157, and #238 in the country, and that's not counting Sage Ryan, who'll be their version of Billy Bowman who might play WR or DB, or Jack Bech who may or may not get an offer. They currently have a WR from Mississippi committed, but Orgeron showed last class that he'll drop long time commits. They're going to be big game national hunting for the position this class, and they likely won't be able to take all of the in-state kids, so there might be a guy or two who'd normally go to LSU who might be ripe for the picking. 

I’m on the coaching staff that has Jack Bech. Not being biased but he is a game changer. He’s easily a 4 star.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think it really matters what order he does his OVs in, and I’m doubtful we get him regardless, but there could be worse things than aggy going first with an LSU OV right after. Hopefully he at least holds off committing until he’s done his LSU OV and LSU spends a good bit of the OV shitting on their new little brother.
We’ve seen this before with UT, but when a an elite prospect has a clear leader, all the other schools that will get visits negative recruiting the leader and it may open up the door for us.

There’s some optimism that we’ll have a decent shot for him 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Texas 2021 rankings on 247

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Donovan Jackson
3) Ja'Tavion Sanders
4) LJ Johnson
5) Savion Byrd
6) Billy Bowman
7) Camar Wheaton
'8) Cody Jackson
9) Clayton Smith
10) JoJo Earle
11) Landon Jackson
12) Kaidon Salter
13) J.Michael Sturdivant
14) Jalen Milroe
15) Dematrius Davis
16) Ismael Ibraheem
17) Marcus Burris
18) Preston Stone
19) Reuben Fatheree
20) Bryce Foster
21) Eli Stowers
22) Shadrach Banks
23) Ketron Jackson
24) Sawyer Robertson
25) Jordon Thomas
26) Jordan Jenkins
27) Latrell McCutchin
28) Theodore Knox
29) Quaydarius Davis
30) Derrick Harris Jr
31) Behren Morton
32) Kendrick Blackshire
33) Garrett Nussmeier
34) Andrew Mukuba
35) Deuce Harmon
36) Shemar Turner

Tommy Brockermeyer (7) and Donovan Jackson (8) are 5*s. 247 only has eight 5*s right now. Ja'Tavion is #14

Jonah Miller isn't in the top 247, and Bram Walden is #80 overall

isn't that a pretty big drop for Quay Davis?

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Thought I saw somewhere that Price is struggling recruiting him.  Might have been from @Bam Bam Sam

Wells is bullish. Said he's not the type of personality to be pressured into a commitment which bodes poorly for aggy. The reporting had been that Burris was a definite no and Jackson was an aggy lean, and it has shifted to Burris is an aggy lean with Jackson wide open. If he leaves Baton Rouge uncommitted, I'd take Texas over the field. Burris would be a harder pull, and I still think he ends up aggy. 

going to be interesting to see what happens with him

rankings for Bryce Foster as of 2/19

• Composite: #69 nationally, #5 OG, #9 in Texas
  • 247: #113 nationally, #6 OG, #20 in Texas
  • Rivals: #9 nationally, #1 OG, #2 in Texas
  • ESPN: #29 in the Midlands Region (whatever the fuck that is), #4 OG, #25 in Texas

Foster is massive (~ 6'5 350 at his Texas visit, irrc) but isn't fat, moves pretty well for how big he is, is strong as shit, is an elite thrower, and has done well at camps, including having the best reps against Bryan Bresee last offseason while being a year younger than everyone else. But then if you watch him in Hayden Conner's hudl, he's not particularly impressive. I'd split the difference. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

• ESPN: #29 in the Midlands Region (whatever the fuck that is), #4 OG, #25 in Texas

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Foster is massive (~ 6'5 350 at his Texas visit, irrc) but isn't fat, moves pretty well for how big he is, is strong as shit, is an elite thrower, and has done well at camps, including having the best reps against Bryan Bresee last offseason while being a year younger than everyone else. But then if you watch him in Hayden Conner's hudl, he's not particularly impressive. I'd split the difference. 

I think it’s as simple as 247 actually watches film while Rivals goes primarily off of the measurables and reps from their own camps. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think it really matters what order he does his OVs in, and I’m doubtful we get him regardless, but there could be worse things than aggy going first with an LSU OV right after. Hopefully he at least holds off committing until he’s done his LSU OV and LSU spends a good bit of the OV shitting on their new little brother.
We’ve seen this before with UT, but when a an elite prospect has a clear leader, all the other schools that will get visits negative recruiting the leader and it may open up the door for us.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

There’s some optimism that we’ll have a decent shot for him 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Wells is bullish. Said he's not the type of personality to be pressured into a commitment which bodes poorly for aggy. The reporting had been that Burris was a definite no and Jackson was an aggy lean, and it has shifted to Burris is an aggy lean with Jackson wide open. If he leaves Baton Rouge uncommitted, I'd take Texas over the field. Burris would be a harder pull, and I still think he ends up aggy. 

There is no reason to feel like both L Jackson and Burris aren't in play for Texas. Jackson does not have a "clear leader". Yes, he's an ATM legacy. That doesn't make them the leader.

I see we're in the "we're all going to die and never sign anyone, and also, all of the known quantities that we like who are highly rated might actually suck" overly analytical phase of this cycle's spring run. 

• Like 4

here you go ::

Four of the Texas Longhorns' six commitments in the 2021 class earned Top247 status with release of Wednesday's updated rankings. 247Sports takes a look at the Longhorns' quartet of pledges in the updated Top247 and why they fit where they do. Texas, which finished the 2020 cycle ranked ninth nationally on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings, sits at No. 7 nationally for the 2021 class at this early stage.

-- Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH, Denton (Texas) Ryan: Sanders was already ranked high (40), and after an outstanding junior season, he ascended even higher in the Top247 rankings to No. 14 overall in the country's 2021 class. Like 2020 teammate and five-star Alabama signee Drew Sanders, Ja'Tavion Sanders proved an impact player on both sides of the ball as a pass-rushing defensive end and playmaking receiver. We entered the season thinking that Sanders was very likely a relatively projection to an edge defender role, but his offensive performance in 2019 was so good that he must be considered an elite flex tight end prospect in addition to his edge-rushing reputation.

The 6-foot-3 1/2, 220-pound Sanders, who also plays basketball, caught 47 passes for 763 yards and seven touchdowns, while recording 39 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, and two forced fumbles. He played a major role in Denton Ryan's 15-1 season, which ended in a Texas Class 5A Division I state championship loss to Alvin Shadow Creek.

-- Billy Bowman Jr., ATH, Denton (Texas) Ryan: We will repeat ourselves here with Bowman, a teammate of Sanders who also provided outstanding two-way production considering how many snaps he had to play going both ways, not to mention his usual impact on special teams. Bowman moved up more than 100 spots in the Top247 from No. 146 to No. 37 on the updated rankings. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound Bowman is a high-major prospect at receiver or in the secondary, but we think his higher ceiling is likely on defense, where Bowman could possibly move around the secondary in multiple roles.

Bowman caught 54 passes for 824 yards and 17 TD's in 2019, when he added 55 tackles, two tackles for loss, one sacks, two forced fumbles, and three interceptions, which he returned for touchdowns (he also returned a punt for a score). Bowman's overall athletic profile is aided further by his participation in basketball and track and field, where he ran several sub-11.00 100-meter times as a sophomore, long jumped almost 23 feet, and ran on Ryan's state-qualifying 4x100 relay squad. Like Sanders, Bowman is one of the best pure football players and athletes in the Lone Star State in this class.

-- Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy (Texas) Tompkins: Milroe gives Texas three national top 100 prospects in the updated Top247 rankings. While he slid from 68th overall to No. 95 in the new rankings, Milroe remains the No. 2 QB in the Lone Star State, which we realize more than ever is great at the QB position in this 2021 class. Milroe enjoyed a strong junior campaign as he threw for 2,689 yards, 29 touchdowns, and eight interceptions, while rushing for 378 yards and eight TD's. Milroe's rushing production went down in 2019, but his passing production improved greatly. That's encouraging overall.

Milroe's drop is less about us being disappointed in his junior performance than it is feeling like we had him a bit too high in the previous rankings. After all, he is still a national top 100 overall prospect, and he is still the No. 2 QB in the state of Texas for his class. In what looks like a two-quarterback class for Texas, Milroe is a terrific get and the level of QB who just about any program would be fortunate to land in a two-QB class.

-- Derrick Harris, OLB, New Caney (Texas): At this point, what we know about Harris is that his frame is outstanding and he has a ton of potential moving forward. There is a lot to say for that. While his junior tape was solid, we did not feel he made the leap on film that is expected for a player of his ranking at his position. With that in mind, Harris went from No.139 overall to No. 173 overall. His production was good -- 88 tackles, 17 tackles, and four sacks -- but was not an improvement over his sophomore season -- 83 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, 4 1/2 sacks. Albeit he played one fewer game than in 2018, and stats aren't everything, but production is typically a strong indicator of progress and future success, and we would like to see some more encouraging data in that category.

But as noted with Milroe, Harris is still a terrific, toolsy prospect with a high ceiling moving forward. Being in the top 175 nationally in the updated Top247 rankings is evidence of that standing in our eyes. We are curious to see if we can get some testing numbers or perhaps track times on him this spring semester for more context to his overall athletic profile.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Rivals is adidas, rivals "hires" adidas coaches to lead camps, promotes adidas players and prospects leaning to adidas schools....If Foster commits to us or ou, you'll see an adjustment.

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I hope this is the case, but I’m not going to expect it to happen until I see it. I could see him trying to run a pseudo 4-3/4-2-5 with BJ Foster as a WLB/Nickel.

Otherwise, I’d like to see him move Foster to LB. If not, you’re going to have two spots on the field for Sterns, Foster, Brown, Adimora, Estell, and Owens. 

I'd like to see BJ become the next Darren Woodson.  

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas commits and targets in new 2021 Top247

The class of 2021 is now on deck, and 247Sports released an update to their 2021 class rankings today. This in-state cycle is insanely talented and deep at most positions. No position is as talented in Texas as the offensive line group, and that's reflected in these rankings. As always, it's almost an impossible task to put together a comprehensive ranking, but nobody does it better than our team of evaluators. So without further ado, here are my thoughts on the 2021 Top247 update.

—Despite not playing his junior year because of an injury, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer retained the top spot in the state of Texas. Brockermeyer saw a small drop nationally from No. 4 to No. 7, and that just shows how great his talent and how high his ceiling is. Brockermeyer is on track to return to the field this year, and the importance of landing him and his brother James Brockermeyer can’t be understated.

—Brockermeyer will have strong competition for the top spot in-state. Bellaire Episcopal OL and Ohio State commit Donovan Jackson is one spot behind him at No. 8 nationally. Jackson had an incredible 2019 capped off with an MVP performance at The Opening finals and a strong fall season. Jackson’s move was more than deserving, and he’s probably the safest prospect in the state of Texas from a floor-to-ceiling ratio.

—Texas fans ought to love seeing commit Ja'Tavion Sanders at No. 14 nationally. Sanders is now in prime position to finish the year as a five-star if he can keep up with his growth. Sanders showed during his junior season that he could be a credible tight end/wide receiver, and he’s one of the most devastating pass rushers in the country. Sanders is also in position to make a run at winning the top ranking in-state.

—There’s a new No. 1 running back in the state of Texas, and his name is LJ Johnson. The Cy-Fair running back tested well last spring, and he put up great production in the fall. Johnson is now in striking distance of five-star territory if he can build on what he’s done. Johnson proved during his junior season that he was an elite prospect.

—Savion Byrd took a slight drop from No. 26 nationally to No. 36. That was to be expected after Byrd didn’t play a snap at offensive tackle during the season. Duncanville used him on the defensive line to help the team, and that stalled any development at the tackle position. Still, Byrd is a great athlete with a huge ceiling at the position.

—Billy Bowman made a huge jump up the rankings from No. 146 nationally to No. 37. This also puts Bowman in striking range of five-star status after a phenomenal junior season. A three-sport star, Bowman has the chance to improve on his track times and carry that momentum into his senior season for a salty Denton Ryan squad. It’s remarkable that one program has two players in the top 40 nationally, and both are committed to the same college team.

—Camar Wheaton’s drop was to be expected. While Wheaton shows all of the elite traits needed to be a five-star back, the production wasn’t where we expected it to be. Wheaton has incredible speed and homerun potential, but I’d like to see him show more vision and the ability to run through contact more consistently.

—Texas High linebacker Clayton Smith made a big jump from 90 to 61 in the rankings. Smith is a twitchy outside linebacker type with edge rushing prowess and strong junior tape. Texas offered Smith early, but numbers might be a bit of a concern with similar players in Ja'Tavion Sanders and Derrick Harris already in the class.

—JoJo Earle rose from No. 124 to No. 69 nationally after another strong year at Aledo. Earle might be the best natural playmaker on offense in the state of Texas, and he proved that en route to another state championship for Aledo. This is a race that Texas needs to get back in, and I’ve been told Earle is a possibility to visit after the dead period ends.

—Landon Jackson took a small drop from No. 48 to No. 70. Despite a productive year, there are questions about the twitch in Jackson’s game. Jackson is still raw for the position and his frame is very projectable, but I see him as a guy who eventually plays at 285 and uses his length to his advantage at the next level.

—Texas quarterback commit Jalen Milroe also saw a drop from No. 68 nationally to No. 95 after his junior season and an up and down performance at the All-American Bowl combine. Milroe probably has the highest ceiling of any quarterback in the state, but there are some questions about his development as a passer. Milroe can silence those critics this spring.

—Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem made a move up into the Top 100 at No. 99 after a strong junior performance. Ibraheem is ranked as the top in-state corner, and he has the frame and athleticism to back it up. What I’d like to see moving forward is more consistent physical play and a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

—Pleasant Grove DL Marcus Burris dropped from No. 49 to No. 103. Burris probably didn’t have the season most expected of him, though the back half showed drastic improvement from the front half. Burris has the size and quickness to be a difference maker up front, but he has to put it together consistently.

—Reuben Fatheree and Bryce Foster landed right next to each other at No. 112 and No. 113. Fatheree has great size and athleticism, but he could learn to play with more power and aggression. Foster plays with a ton of power, but his frame is gigantic for a high school prospect. While there may be some concerns Foster topped out, his current abilities are still pretty dynamic.

—Royce City wide receiver Ketron Jackson dropped from No. 112 to No. 149. The big pass catcher will be one to keep an eye on as Texas checked on him several times in the last few months. Jackson has a huge frame with long arms, and there’s nobody better at winning jump balls in-state.

—Lubbock Coronado quarterback Sawyer Robertson dropped from No. 78 to No. 154. I’m interested in seeing Robertson throw in person before really weighing in with any strong opinions, but I think his best days as a passer are ahead of him. Texas is still working Robertson hard, and they will try to get him on campus after the dead period.

—Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas was poised to be a big mover this year, but a foot injury ended his season abruptly. Thomas has the size and athleticism to be another dynamic edge player, but he’ll need to return healthy and keep building on his progress.

—Theodore Knox dropped from No. 92 to 164. His season was also cut short by injury, and Knox was still trying to acclimate to life in a new school. Texas is pursuing Knox hard, and the next two months could really tell the story of where his true interest lies.

—Quaydarius Davis dropped from No. 100 to 169. Despite some absolutely highlight-reel plays, quarterback play at Skyline suffered this year, and Davis saw his production dip as a result. Davis is tearing up the 7v7 scene and will likely dominate the camp settings if he gets the chance, but he must put up more production on the field in the fall.

—One surprising drop to me was that of New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr. The Texas commit was one of the best players on a nasty New Caney defense this fall, but he dropped nearly 40 spots. Most of that is due to others moving up, but I was told there was also a concern that evaluators on our rankings council didn’t see much improvement from sophomore to junior year.

—Duncanville linebacker Kendrick Blackshire dropped following a missed season due to a knee injury. Blackshire looks all world, but he will need to get back on the field and show something in order to regain his previous ranking status.

—Texas quarterback offer Garrett Nussmeier made a big jump into the Top247 landing at No. 196. With a high floor, Nussmeier shows a great understanding for reading defenses and he’s adept in the theoretical side of the game.

—DeSoto DL Shemar Turner jumped up to No. 226. While he plays DE, Turner is ranked as a DT due to a future projection at the position. Turner shows impressive quickness and explosive ability from the defensive line position, and he should be a priority for Texas as the staff looks to find quick, disruptive interior players.

—Several Top247 prospects don’t currently hold a Texas offer. If I were in charge, I would offer Flower Mound Marcus WR J.Michael Sturdivant (No. 93), Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba (No. 198) and Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon (No. 221). If Texas misses on Robertson and Nussmeier, look for Kaidon Salter (No. 98) to be a potential target after Mike Yurcich saw him throw last month.

—Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield broke the mold on quarterbacks with limited height, and I’m glad to see that allowed North Shore quarterback Dematrius Davis to land at No. 96 nationally. Despite his lack of height, Davis has been an assassin at the quarterback position the last two years and the driving force behind the back to back titles at North Shore. I’m a huge fan of his game, and I’m glad to see he’s being recognized.

• Like 2

Camar Wheaton keeps dropping down like Peter Bean at a crack house. That’s an unfortunate parallel. Valai and Drayton need to set up shop in Cypress and kneecap anyone they see from Georgia and the SEC in the parking lot. They can probably convince Giles to go along and carry Valai on his back like Master Blaster, theres like 5 wing places in area right off the freeway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Camar Wheaton keeps dropping down like Peter Bean at a crack house. That’s an unfortunate parallel. Valai and Drayton need to set up shop in Cypress and kneecap anyone they see from Georgia and the SEC in the parking lot. They can probably convince Giles to go along and carry Valai on his back like Master Blaster, theres like 5 wing places in area right off the freeway. 

I agree with going hard after LJ, but hasn't really dropped in the composite.

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh hey, it's the piece of shit who was talking about fucking another poster's wife and daughter. Hey go fuck yourself. 

Yeah, under no circumstances should a man talk about that conquest. 

*In the presence of the husband/father.

j/k, I read the post, and alcohol or not... this dude may legitimately have bodies stashed somewhere.

*I’m still an asshole.

Kaelen Jones (The Athletic): The top recruiting targets for Texas’ 2021 class

Spoiler

The top recruiting targets for Texas’ 2021 class

jamestommy-1024x683.jpg
By Kaelen Jones 3h agocomment-icon.png 1 save-icon.png

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas once again notched another elite signing class in 2020, marking its third consecutive top-10 class. And even before it was solidified, the Longhorns had already laid the groundwork for the ’21 class.

Midway through February, six players have committed to UT for 2021. The group ranks as the No. 7 class in the nation, with three pledges currently ranked within the top 100 overall of the 247Sports Composite. Each of the class’ current members hails from Texas high school programs, a sign that the Longhorns are continuing to emphasize dominating in-state recruiting. All but one of the 2020 signees hailed from Texas.

The Longhorns have released a bevy of offers to ’21 recruits, increasing their total to 108 reported offers, according to 247Sports. The amount is middle of the pack in the Big 12, with West Virginia (282) having sent out the most and Kansas State (62) having offered the least.

Fourth-year coach Tom Herman knows what he can sell recruits on. “You commit to Texas,” he said before the Alamo Bowl in December, “to get an elite education — it’s one of the top public schools in the entire country — to lay some roots in the No. 1 city in America in Austin, Texas, and to develop a network of very powerful people that can provide opportunities for you once you’re done playing football.”

Perhaps those points can overshadow an underwhelming 2019 season that led to an overhaul of his staff, as well as the Longhorns’ inability in recent years to capture a Big 12 title or to breach the College Football Playoff. Here, we take a look at the most important targets on Texas’ 2021 board at this juncture who could help accomplish those goals.

Tommy Brockermeyer, OT (All Saints Episcopal/Fort Worth, Texas)

Five-star, No. 3 overall, No. 1 offensive tackle
6-foot-6, 283 pounds

Brockermeyer is one of the most highly coveted prospects in the nation. He announced in December that Texas, Clemson, Alabama, LSU and Auburn are his five schools in contention. Brockermeyer is the son of former UT All-American offensive tackle Blake Brockermeyer and the younger brother of Longhorns redshirt sophomore linebacker Luke Brockermeyer. His twin brother, James, is a highly ranked offensive line prospect, too.

Brockermeyer would be a key addition for an offensive line due to lose Derek Kerstetter, Tope Imade and Denzel Okafor to graduation, and potentially Samuel Cosmi to the NFL Draft. UT is due to lose each of its projected starting tackles, suggesting there could be competition at both spots. While offensive line coach Herb Hand values linemen redshirting for a season, Brockermeyer is considered a blue-chip prospect and could compete for playing time immediately.

Blake is currently a defensive quality control analyst at SMU, but that’s not stopping his alma mater from making a major push to secure his sons.

James Brockermeyer, C (All Saints Episcopal/Fort Worth, Texas)

Four-star, No. 262 overall, No. 3 center
6-foot-3, 273 pounds

If the Longhorns were able to land both Brockermeyers, it could perhaps pay dividends down the road — and possibly immediately — at tackle and center. Despite not being as highly ranked as Tommy, James is still considered a high-end center prospect. The Longhorns have two centers currently on the roster in redshirt sophomore Rafiti Ghirmai and freshman Jake Majors, but Brockermeyer would arrive with the highest pedigree and potential of the group.

LJ Johnson, RB (Cy-Fair/Cypress, Texas)

Four-star, No. 54 overall, No. 4 running back
5-foot-10, 204 pounds

The Longhorns boast a talented backfield, but it’s a small group, with only three players due to return at the position for 2021: Keaontay Ingram, Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson. (Jordan Whittington, who was listed as a running back during the 2019 season, is expected to be featured mostly at slot receiver in 2020.)

There should be an emphasis on adding at least one tailback for the 2021 cycle. Johnson, who’s been invited to play in the 2021 All-American Bowl, is an intriguing prospect. Based on Johnson’s film, he’s shifty and eats up yards with long strides. He identifies holes quickly and does well accelerating through creases and getting upfield.

The Longhorns offered Johnson in June 2019. Johnson visited Texas during its junior day in January.

“I think it would be (a fit) after what (running backs coach Stan Drayton) was talking about,” Johnson said. “By coming here, I could work for a spot with development the first year. But the life after football is gonna be huge.”

Georgia and Ohio State are among the other schools making a push for Johnson.

Savion Byrd, OT (Duncanville, Texas)

Five-star, No. 29 overall, No. 4 offensive tackle
6-foot-5, 265 pounds

Byrd is an in-state prospect who has starred at Duncanville High along the offensive line and at defensive tackle. He’s currently the No. 3 player in Texas.

Byrd could add more weight to his frame, but he has displayed good agility and movement that suggest he’d have success on the edge at the next level. Considering UT is losing at least three players to graduation next season, attaining a highly rated prospect like Byrd to play in the trenches would be a boost. Byrd received an offer from Texas in January 2019. He made a handful of unofficial visits to UT last year and last visited in September.

Ishmael Ibraheem, CB (Kimball/Dallas)

Four-star, No. 121 overall, No. 12 cornerback
6-foot-1, 175 pounds

The Longhorns will lose nickel cornerback Josh Thompson to graduation after the 2020 season and return at least six corners for 2021. However, there’s a likelihood that four cornerbacks —  juniors Jalen Green, D’Shawn Jamison, Anthony Cook and Kobe Boyce — move on. So UT could try to get a headstart on getting new talent on campus.

That means adding at least one cornerback for the 2021 season should be a high priority. And there are a few players the Longhorns have their eye on, but Ibraheem is one of the most interesting. He is long, physical and twitchy. He’s an ideal cornerback for defensive coordinator Chris Ash’s system.

JoJo Earle, WR (Aledo, Texas)

Four-star, No. 75 national, No. 13 wide receiver
5-foot-9, 170 pounds

The Longhorns offered Earle back in November 2018. The Aledo product boasts electric speed that would make him a weapon out of the slot in UT offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich’s system. He’s dynamic with the ball in his hands. The Longhorns aren’t due to lose any receivers to graduation or the draft after the 2020 season, so landing a receiver during this cycle wouldn’t seem imperative. However, finding players who fit Yurcich’s system could be crucial for the long term. And Earle presents a skill set that would make him a valuable addition.

Landon Jackson, WDE (Pleasant Grove/Texarkana, Texas)

Four-star, No. 94 national, No. 4 weak-side defensive end
6-foot-6, 240 pounds

The Longhorns are due to lose three defensive linemen to graduation after the 2020 season: Ta’Quon Graham, Marqez Bimage and Jacoby Jones. With the Longhorns also switching to a four-man front under Ash and making an effort to highlight their talent within the trenches, their pursuit of Jackson is logical, if not highly important. The Longhorns offered Jackson in September 2018. He visited UT in January.

Bryce Foster, OG (Taylor/Katy, Texas)

Four-star, No. 69 national, No. 5 offensive guard
6-foot-4, 318 pounds

Foster could be a beneficial addition for a UT offensive line that dipped into the graduate-transfer market to find a starter in 2019 and could do so again in 2020. One of the top guard prospects in the country, he’s also received interest from Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Foster is high school teammates with Texas ’21 offensive tackle commit Hayden Conner. Foster first earned an offer from UT in September 2018 and visited the campus in January.

Terrence Cooks II, OLB (Shadow Creek/Pearland, Texas)

Three-star, No. 478 overall, No. 37 outside linebacker
6-foot-2, 210 pounds

The Longhorns added one linebacker to their 2020 class and aren’t due to lose any players to graduation after the season. A handful of players already on the roster can perhaps play inside, but UT must add more linebackers who can thrive out on the edge and in space. Cooks fits in that regard.

Cooks’ film shows that he does well in pass coverage and has tremendous speed and a high motor that enable him to make plays all over the field. He’s received interest from Arizona State, Baylor, Georgia Tech and Houston. But the Longhorns, who offered Cooks in November, could land a steal of a prospect if they’re able to secure Cooks’ commitment.

Nyland Green, CB (Newton/Covington, Ga.)

Four-star, No. 135 overall, No. 14 cornerback
6-foot-2, 183 pounds

The Longhorns did well with focusing their recruiting on in-state prospects with their 2020 class and have done so with their 2021 class. But the Longhorns need to keep out-of-state pipelines in mind, too. They’re able to potentially do so here, in addition to possibly adding a player in a key position of need.

Green, a Georgia product, received an offer from the Longhorns on Feb. 4. He has great ball skills and has a desirable frame to play in Ash’s system. He’s also a solid tackler in space.

Shemar Turner, SDE (DeSoto, Texas)

Four-star, No. 180 overall, No. 12 strongside defensive end
6-foot-3, 260 pounds

The Longhorns can maintain their momentum by adding another valuable piece to the defensive line. Turner is massive and disruptive, possessing an effective swim move. Turner, ranked as the No. 35 player in Texas, is someone who would serve well in a three- or five-technique role in Ash’s scheme.

UT offered Turner in June 2019, and he has garnered others from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma and Ohio State. He visited the Longhorns in January.

(Photo of James Brockermeyer, Tom Herman and Tommy Brockermeyer: Courtesy of the Brockermeyer family)

Kaelen Jones (The Athletic): How Texas 2021 commit Derrick Harris uses swimming to fuel his football future

Spoiler

How Texas 2021 commit Derrick Harris uses swimming to fuel his football future

harris-swim-1024x683.jpg
By Kaelen Jones Feb 19, 2020comment-icon.png 4 save-icon.png

AUSTIN, Texas — Swim coach Troy Holleman didn’t know what to expect when Derrick Harris Jr. dived into the pool. Neither did Harris’ New Caney High teammates.

Harris had joined the team only three days before. The New Caney Independent School District Invitational in December 2018 marked the now-6-foot-3, 221-pounder’s first competition since he’d been starring for the Eagles’ football team. Harris began his freestyle leg of a 200-meter medley trailing the swimmer in the next lane. However, Harris caught and passed him.

“That kind of stuck out,” said Holleman, who’s in his 10th year coaching swimming at New Caney, located nearly 40 miles outside of Houston. “He’s so competitive, and he’s got a lot of natural talent for swimming.”

Harris, one of six players verbally committed to Texas as part of its 2021 recruiting class, is rated the No. 12 outside linebacker prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite. He doesn’t look like a typical swimmer. Sure, his long and lean frame resembles that of most, but his height and bulk is a combination rarely seen in pools. “When I tell people that I’m a swimmer, many people are shocked,” Harris said, grinning.

As a swimmer, Harris is considered a sprinter. He specializes in the freestyle, and he’s previously competed in the butterfly.

“I’ve had some swimmers that played football before that were shorter, smaller,” Holleman said. “But no one that was his size who wanted to swim.”

Despite Harris’ surprise entrance at New Caney, he has been swimming since he was 7. His mother, Tasha, can’t swim. But she determined that if she and her husband, Derrick Sr., had any children, she’d make sure they could. So, she enrolled Harris in swimming classes. “The first time I got into the water, I was really scared,” Harris said. “But they told me how to kick first, then pull. Once I learned how to kick and pull, I was very good at it.”

Harris was so good that after a few months, his parents decided to allow him to swim competitively.

“I always tell him, ‘You’re gonna beat Michael Phelps!’” Tasha said. “‘Michael Phelps just retired, you’re gonna take his place!’ But his heart — that wasn’t his first love. Football is his first sport. So he just uses swim to condition and surprise people.”

Before swimming, he started playing football at 5. Tasha said Harris’ passion for the sport was fueled as early as 3 years old. “When he saw Vince Young in the Rose Bowl,” she said, “he was like, ‘I’m going to UT!’ And I’m like, ‘All right, baby! Let’s go!’”

New Caney outside linebackers coach Austin Hall noticed Harris quickly.

“You see him on the field with a bunch of freshmen and you’re like, ‘Who is that kid?’” Hall said. “Immediately, physically, he stood out. … You could tell right away that Derrick was going to be something special.”

Harris played wide receiver for New Caney’s freshman team but has starred as an outside linebacker for the varsity. Hall noted Harris’ size, long arms and quick twitch as parts of his dynamic skill set. Harris is quiet and respectful, Hall said, but his leadership also sets him apart.

At the end of Harris’ sophomore year, he earned his first offer, from SMU, “then everything started to roll,” he said. An invitation to Texas in 2019 from former defensive coordinator Todd Orlando proved to Harris that he could achieve his dream.

“That’s when I started to realize, ‘Wow, I can really go somewhere,’” Harris said.

On Aug. 3, Harris committed to Texas. Tasha described it as a “huge weight being lifted off” when he made the decision. “This whole recruiting scene is very overwhelming,” she said.

Harris agreed. “I committed to Texas because I wanted to shut it down,” he said.

Hall said he met several times with Harris throughout the process leading up to his decision.

“I said, ‘Are you sure you know?’” Hall said. “He’s like, ‘Coach, I’m just kind of done with all the circus that comes along with recruiting, and this is home and this is where I want to be.’ I think it speaks to the type of kid he is. He’s not looking for all the publicity of taking this to the wire.”

During a junior day event in January, Harris met with Longhorns head coach Tom Herman, defensive coordinator Chris Ash and linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler.

Ash and Hutzler are entering their first seasons at UT, and Ash is revamping the Longhorns defense to operate out of a four-man front. It features a hybrid defensive end/linebacker called the Jack, a position Harris could be suited to play. The Longhorns could have junior Joseph Ossai, the projected starter at the position for 2020, back for his senior year in 2021. Ash also said redshirt sophomore Byron Vaughns will play the position; true freshman Prince Dorbah should be considered a candidate, too.

Despite committing to past assistants, Harris said his pledge to the program was even stronger following his meeting. He noted Ash’s technicality and attention to detail and the clear direction the defense intends to follow.

“They said — the way their defense is — you can come in and put your hand in the dirt or you can play linebacker,” Harris said. “They told me not to put a lot of weight on because they just need linebackers that can run and play.”

Perhaps swimming can help Harris maintain his physique. New Caney practices at 7 a.m. every day of the school week. The Eagles share with Porter High an off-campus district pool, a facility attached to the football stadium. The season begins in October and carries into early February.

“Swim is too much,” Harris joked. “Swim is like football in a way. Swimming, you’re up there every morning. And that’s just not for me. I don’t like jumping in the pool. It’s cold. Super cold.”

Derrick Sr. said his son works hard in the classroom and has already started his first college course so that he can arrive at Texas with college credits completed. He’s ambitious to represent his family and city to the best of his abilities.

“I just wanna be different,” Harris said. “You don’t see a lot of people come out of New Caney that made it to the NFL, made it big, made it to where people knew their name. Some people have never heard of New Caney. So I just wanna be different and put New Caney on the map.”

Texas has five other pledges for the 2021 class, which currently ranks sixth in the 247Sports Composite.

All five committed to Texas between July and September and are in-state prospects. Despite coaching turnover after last season, only one player has reopened his recruitment: Lake McRee, a three-star tight end prospect out of Lake Travis High.

Billy Bowman, athlete (Ryan/Denton, Texas)
Four-star, No. 83 overall; No. 6 athlete
5-foot-10, 175 pounds

Bowman, a three-sport athlete, could provide the Longhorns ample speed at three positions: slot receiver, nickel cornerback or safety. Chris Brown and Josh Thompson, UT’s primary nickel options, are entering their final years on campus, potentially opening the door for a new contributor to emerge. The Longhorns are also going to have a handful of options to play slot receiver and are likely to return seven safeties after the 2020 season.

Bowman’s speed — he’s registered a 10.78 in the 100-meter dash — could help him make a difference for the Longhorns wherever he ends up being positioned.

Hayden Conner, OT (Taylor/Katy, Texas)
Four-star, No. 236 overall; No. 28 offensive tackle
6-foot-5, 317 pounds

The Longhorns are due for attrition along the offensive line with Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor and Tope Imade entering their senior seasons and redshirt junior Samuel Cosmi a top offensive line prospect for the NFL Draft. Conner is listed at 317 pounds, but moves relatively well for his weight. He could end up increasing his ranking before his senior year of high school concludes.

Juan Davis, athlete (Everman/Fort Worth, Texas)
Three-star, No. 434 overall; No. 35 athlete
6-foot-4, 217 pounds

The Longhorns are targeting tight ends in the 2021 cycle. Senior Cade Brewer enters his final season on campus and there are four scholarship players due to return. Since Herman took over in 2016, the Longhorns have entered the season with at least five scholarship tight ends. Davis, who plays quarterback for Everman, said he connected with Jay Boulware, UT’s new tight ends coach, during junior day in January. Boulware didn’t recruit Davis while at Oklahoma but enjoyed the interaction.

“He really loved me,” Davis said of Boulware. “He said that when he first got here, everybody had a lot of good things to say about me. He was really excited to see me.”

Davis appears capable of adding more weight to his frame, which could make him a potentially productive option at tight end.

Jalen Milroe, QB (Tompkins/Katy, Texas)
Four-star, No. 67 overall; No. 3 dual-threat QB
6-foot-1, 194 pounds

Milroe is perhaps the face of the Longhorns’ 2021 class. During a visit in January, the quarterback said he felt the desire to establish a relationship with UT coaches on defense as well as offense. He also made it a point to talk with recruits on the trip who haven’t yet made their school selections.

“The relationship factor is that everyone is genuine and talking and communicating as a whole,” Milroe said. “Not just the offense stays isolated. I feel that the defense and offense has a relationship.”

Milroe met with new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and expressed comfort in the system that’s being installed, which he said resembles the offense at Tompkins. The biggest difference is going to be an increased tempo. He said he chose Texas because of proximity, academics — he wants to enroll in the McCombs School of Business — and a relationship with Herman.

“I grew up watching Texas,” Milroe said. “I love the program itself, so I always envisioned myself going to Texas.”

Sam Ehlinger is entering his senior year, clearing the path for a new starter. Milroe would join a crowded group of talented quarterbacks that currently includes Casey Thompson, Hudson Card and Ja’Quinden Jackson. The Longhorns recently offered Sawyer Robertson, a four-star pro-style quarterback out of Lubbock Coronado. The idea of adding another quarterback this cycle could potentially threaten keeping Milroe, but if Milroe remains the lone quarterback signing of the class, it should be considered a significant addition.

Ja’Tavion Sanders, athlete (Ryan/Denton, Texas)
Four-star, No. 44 overall; No. 2 athlete
6-foot-3, 220 pounds

Sanders is the highest-rated recruit of the class. He is being recruited as a defensive end and would fit in UT’s system as a five-technique near the edge. But he also plays tight end and is serviceable there, too.

“(Ash) said he’s definitely going to like how I fit in with the new defensive scheme and rush the passer,” Sanders said in January while visiting Texas for junior day.

Sanders said he hasn’t made a decision on playing defense or offense but that Herman will allow him to make the call. However, it would make sense that UT pursues him as a defensive lineman.

The Longhorns demonstrated with the hiring of Ash and with the signing of three defensive linemen in the 2020 cycle that there is a new commitment to putting together a talented front. Sanders fits the bill, and with three outgoing seniors (Marqez Bimage, Ta’Quon Graham and Jacoby Jones), UT will need to replenish at the position.

* All rankings according to 247Sports

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

random drop in into the recruiting thread to see what's being discussed?  NEVER. FUCKING. FAILS.

psychopaths describing rape fantasies about another poster's wife and daughter.  still better than the cheese pun run i suppose.

Hey he did that on the football board then ran here to hide. Don't you put that evil on us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

random drop in into the recruiting thread to see what's being discussed?  NEVER. FUCKING. FAILS.

psychopaths describing rape fantasies about another poster's wife and daughter.  still better than the cheese pun run i suppose.

cheese puns?

that muenster been a long time ago (also was in the 2020 thread - not the 2021 thread)

23 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

41*

He’s 41 in the composite. He’s 14 in the 247 rankings. 

The composite is 247’s compilation of their rankings alongside Rivals and ESPN. They are not evenly weighted however and the makeup has changed over the years. Most people find it to be a good way to look at player rankings across the spectrum.

To see the difference, typically if you click on the composite rankings, the 247 specific rankings for each player will be in a box just below that. If you click on 247 specific rankings it’s the opposite. 

While each recruiting service shuffles their rankings periodically, the composite is typically changed somewhat later.

Hope that helps. 

• Haha 2