Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Just now, GRHorn said:

He’s 41 in the composite. He’s 14 in the 247 rankings. 

The composite is 247’s compilation of their rankings alongside Rivals and ESPN. They are not evenly weighted however and the makeup has changed over the years. Most people find it to be a good way to look at player rankings across the spectrum.

To see the difference, typically if you click on the composite rankings, the 247 specific rankings for each player will be in a box just below that. If you click on 247 specific rankings it’s the opposite. 

While each recruiting service shuffles their rankings periodically, the composite is typically changed somewhat later.

Hope that helps. 

Hey @Ricky's one-hitter do you still get it?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Roach and Burton sounded sorta bearish on Wheaton saying he was not a complete back. Good ol' Burton compared Brooks to Jamaal Charles. 

I love how Burton is so out of it he thought Milroe transferred to IMG. I guess he heard wrong. 

Mike Roach: Texas in top group for Skyline safety Isaiah Nwokobia

It could be argued that nobody’s stock is hotter than Isaiah Nwokobia. The three-star safety from Dallas Skyline holds more than 20 offers from schools around the country. The Longhorns offered Nwokobia a few weeks ago, and they are one of the schools standing out to him. “Obviously Texas just came a couple of weeks ago,” he said. “I’m big on Texas. I like Cal a lot too, though. It’s been a big month right before the dead period happened. It was a pretty big month for me. Now, I’m just looking forward to spring ball and getting to move around a little and hit somebody. I miss the game, so I can’t wait for spring ball.”

Nwokobia plays high school football with former Texas commit Quaydarius Davis. He said the two haven’t yet talked about possibly playing together in college, but he hopes to discuss it with Davis soon. “Not yet,” he said “But, we’re for sure going to get into that soon as far as possibly playing at the next level together.”

Nwokobia was offered personally by Tom Herman while on campus for a visit before the dead period. He said the experience was a huge highlight of the visit and something he couldn’t believe. “Coach Herman bringing me to his office and getting to see that,” he said. “For a guy as big as him, I mean, that’s Tom Herman. That’s the big dog. That’s the guy. The Texas head coach called me to his office and told me I had a scholarship, so that meant a lot.”

Nwokobia spent most of his visit with Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash. Nwokobia said that he enjoyed talking ball with Ash and feels the two are developing a strong relationship. “I spent a lot of time with coach Ash,” he said. “We got to talk about the game. You know, he’s only been there a few weeks so he’s still feeling those guys out. It was good to chop it up with him, and I feel like we have a good relationship so far.”

Nwokobia also spent some time with Jay Valai. The Texas cornerback coach dropped by Skyline during January, and Nwokobia met him before he made the visit. “I’m talking with coach Valai too,” Nwokobia said. “He came by the school before the dead period was over. I got to meet him before I went to visit. He shows a lot of love too. He’s very energetic. He’s a guy I feel like I can relate to. He played so I feel like I can learn a lot from him.” At 6-feet, 186 pounds, Nwokobia is ranked as the No. 32 safety in the nation and No. 74 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

47 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm baffled by the whole Brooks thing. Dude has offers from us, tech, and southwest texas state teacher's college. His track times are slow. Tape is fine. Looks like Corbin bleu. It's all bizarre. 

Burton was giving credit to Texas finding this diamond in the rough. He also compared him to Roland/Ronald Jones. Once the national guys see him you just wait his rankings will blow up!

I'm sort of confused by Texas taking 2 QB's in this class. Going into 2021, our QB depth chart will be:

Casey Thompson

Hudson Card

Ja'Quinden Jackson

Jalen Milroe

If no one left, this is more than fine. If you say Thompson transferred or Jackson switched positions, an additional true freshman does help your total numbers but does not help your experienced depth issue.  It is also possible they could pull a Greg Ward with Roschon and switch him back to QB if things changed dramatically on the depth chart and we needed another QB. I just do not see what an additional freshman QB would do for your 2021 depth chart.  We finally have a healthy depth chart so we should be in the mode of targeting and prioritizing one QB every year. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Burton was giving credit to Texas finding this diamond in the rough. He also compared him to Roland/Ronald Jones. Once the national guys see him you just wait his rankings will blow up!

I'm sort of confused by Texas taking 2 QB's in this class. Going into 2021, our QB depth chart will be:

Casey Thompson

Hudson Card

Ja'Quinden Jackson

Jalen Milroe

If no one left, this is more than fine. If you say Thompson transferred or Jackson switched positions, an additional true freshman does help your total numbers but does not help your experienced depth issue.  It is also possible they could pull a Greg Ward with Roschon and switch him back to QB if things changed dramatically on the depth chart and we needed another QB. I just do not see what an additional freshman QB would do for your 2021 depth chart.  We finally have a healthy depth chart so we should be in the mode of targeting and prioritizing one QB every year. 

Jackson isn't switching positions barring something titanic happening in his decision making. We promised him QB first, and that was a big part of his selecting and sticking with us. Unless he has a change of heart, he's a QB for the next year or two, especially with rehab. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jackson isn't switching positions barring something titanic happening in his decision making. We promised him QB first, and that was a big part of his selecting and sticking with us. Unless he has a change of heart, he's a QB for the next year or two, especially with rehab. 

Even less of a reason to take a second QB in 2021. 

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Mack?

Seriously? Mack would completely clear the deck to make room for a QB then evaluate like shit on top of that. We are rolling deep already at the position and taking a good prospect every hear. This is a long fucking way from advocating a Mack strategy. 

Cancelled last year and Tom still pulled off a top 10 class. 

Which was a disappointment coming off a top-10, 10 win season. We lost out on the top 6 in-state players and fucking mangled WR, LB, and DB recruiting. This class is the floor of what we should expect at TEXAS given our natural and institutional advantages. Let’s not act like Herman pulled off some sort of miracle. It’s a good class. But let’s not start sucking each other’s dicks just yet.
  • Like 4