Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Why is he is right for taking another QB? I honestly have no idea why we think we need another QB. If Milroe is not your guy or does not fit your system, then that is another story altogether. 

I'm not really for taking another QB either.  No need to give Milroe any doubts (haven't seen anything yet suggesting he has any, but who knows what can happen when another guy actually commits). Only thing I can see is Card and JQJ can potentially play other positions.  

It's going to be interesting to see how the 25 man class plays out, because it's looking like a position group may not have the number of takes we've been thinking.
QB (2), RB (2), TE (2), OL(5-at least), CB/S (5?).  That's already 16.  Supposedly 3 LB's leaves only 6 spots for DL and WR and it's been suggested we may need up to 4 WR's.  No way we are only taking 2 DL.  Maybe WR gets dropped to 3 and DB to 4?

The secondary is weak in-state. Ideally we land Ish and maybe nwokobia and hit on an oos corner like terrion arnold. Maybe a late riser, but if they cut back anywhere I think it’s here. Imo, they’ll get to 4 and chase a few different best available types.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It's going to be interesting to see how the 25 man class plays out, because it's looking like a position group may not have the number of takes we've been thinking.

QB (2), RB (2), TE (2), OL(5-at least), CB/S (5?).  That's already 16.  Supposedly 3 LB's leaves only 6 spots for DL and WR and it's been suggested we may need up to 4 WR's.  No way we are only taking 2 DL.  Maybe WR gets dropped to 3 and DB to 4?

Or 1 rb or go over 25. Lots of ways it could shake out

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anyway 2021 Class size is over 25, by somehow taking advantage of EE rules??

Recruiting scoop from Pylon Las Vegas. 

Dallas’s Team Grind took home the Pylon 7v7 championship in Las Vegas, and the team featured Texas target Isaiah Nwokboia. The three-star prospect is still very high on Texas, but he will likely take a look at west coast schools like Cal and USC. SMU is also very much in the picture for Nwokobia, and I’d venture to say he has the strongest relationships with the Mustangs’ staff. I think that Texas is still in a very strong position here, and Nwokobia is looking to make a fairly quick decision to get it out of the way before his senior season.

—Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson had a great showing over the weekend playing for the west coast-based Proway team. Johnson was physically impressive in press coverage, which is probably a good reason why Texas is recruiting him. Johnson said that he’s been in contact with Chris Ash and is working on building a relationship with him. Johnson said that he’d like to make it out to Austin, but he’s not quite sure when he will be able to. As of now, this seems like a longshot unless Johnson makes it to campus.

—Johnson’s high school and 7-on-7 teammate Calen Bullock was one of the most physically impressive prospects I saw all weekend. As a safety with great length and instincts, Bullock constantly was able to jump routes and make plays. Bullock sounds a bit more favorable as far as his chances of making it to Austin for a visit, and if he does, I feel Texas could put themselves in a strong position for him. Bullock said he loves Ash’s defensive philosophy and wants to learn more about the team and university.

—2021 Tacoma (WA.) Lincoln ATH Julien Simon is a player who seems serious about making it to Austin. The four-star prospect spoke highly of Texas and their tradition. Oregon, Penn State, Stanford, UCLA, and Washington are all schools in the mix for Simon, but he said that he’s always held a great amount of respect for the Texas program. If he makes it to Austin, Texas has a chance to work themselves into his top group Texas is the most recent offer, and he would like to get by both Texas and LSU when he makes the trip to Baton Rouge this spring if possible.

—One player who is definitely planning to make a visit to Texas is 2022 Mater Dei cornerback Domani Jackson. Jackson already holds a top 10 national ranking, and he was surprised to hear Texas was interested. As an underclassman, Jackson isn’t allowed to have much contact with the coaches, but his father said they were looking to make a trip to Austin this summer. Jackson is close with Texas defensive back Chris Adimora, and he wants to see Austin for himself.

—In speaking with sources from California, I learned that Texas has been in touch with Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola athlete Ceyair Wright, and the four-star cornerback is likely to earn an offer soon. He’s already picking up attention from Oregon, Arizona, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Stanford, and USC, but I was told by those sources that Texas is a school that could possibly draw his interest. I was also told that Texas has been looking into Downey (Calif.) Warren safety Xamarion Gordon. Gordon is said to have some ties to Texas, as he used to live in Houston.

—I spoke with a couple of highly ranked prospects at the event to see where interest was in Texas. Steilacoom (WA.) wide receiver Emeka Egbuka and Henderson (NV.) tight end Moliki Matavo both said they aren’t really considering Texas at this time. Sammamish (WA.) Eastside Catholic DL JT Tuimoloau is telling folks that he’s “open to any school,” but sources we spoke with out west said they’d be very surprised if Texas could gain any ground with the No. 1 player in the most recent Top247 update, and Menlo Park (Calif.) Menlo Atherton wide receiver Troy Franklinsaid that the contact with Texas hasn’t been great as of late. Franklin was offered by the previous staff, so it’s possible the new staff is evaluating offer targets.

—Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro athlete Denzel Burke is a player that seems to be pretty interested in Texas. Burke played with Seattle-based FSP over the weekend, but he’s told those around him that Texas is a school he definitely wants to check out. The Longhorns have had more luck recruiting Arizona than California over the last few years, so this could be a name to watch as we progress into official visit season.

—It’s still early for Jaylon Guilbeau, but Texas is high on his list. Alabama recently came in with an offer, and USC is pushing for him as well. Texas A&M has always been in the picture, but Texas made a strong impression on the 2022 cornerback from Port Arthur Memorial. He wants to take his time with the decision, and he doesn’t really have a timeline for the decision right now.

Hunter Washington is planning to get back to Texas following the dead period. The 2021 four-star cornerback from Katy visited before the dead period, and he wants to return to spend more time with Jay Valai and the rest of the staff. I’d expect Texas to get an official visit from Washington, and I believe they will be in the mix for his services until the end.

—Shreveport (La.) WR Decoldest Crawfordsaid that Texas is one of the schools that has been in contact with him lately, but he’s locked into his LSU commitment and excited about the future.

’—I spoke briefly with Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian Academy wide receiver Marcus Burke who told me he plans to make an official visit to Texas this year. The four-star prospect is hearing from Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Georgia.

—I spoke with Austin LBJ safety Austin Mukuba over the weekend. The former Texas staff never really evaluated him, and the new staff is interested. Mukuba saw his stock rise quite a bit in the last Top247 update, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Texas put an offer on the tale.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'd take Arroyo and King over McCree.  I'll say this much about this staff.  Even with 2 potential TEs, they are doing their homework instead of holding on to an early commit with a pretty significant injury.  Arroyo may be one of the better TE prospects to come out of Texas in a while.  King is very good too.  

Just now, victory88 said:

Yeah, I'd take Arroyo and King over McCree.  I'll say this much about this staff.  Even with 2 potential TEs, they are doing their homework instead of holding on to an early commit with a pretty significant injury.  Arroyo may be one of the better TE prospects to come out of Texas in a while.  King is very good too.  

Could we potentially try and take both and consider Davis for another position?

16 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Well, if he commits to us, he can kiss his Looch 44 spot goodbye. 

the current funny thing about the Looch 44 is that he has Billie Bowman (composite: #49 nationally / #6 Texas or 247 #37 nationally / #6 Texas) is not in his top 25 in the State. 

or you can laugh about Ja'Tavion Sanders (composite: #41 nationally / #4 Texas or 247 #14 nationally / #3 Texas) as his #15 player in the state.

Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Donovan Edwards, the recent Michigan RB offer, just Fong'd to tOSU

https://247sports.com/Player/Donovan-Edwards-46054812/

Harbaugh's inability to lock down his home state at this point is just fucking pathetic. So far in 2020, they've lost their highest ranked player to Kentucky. Purdue had almost as many top 10 kids as Michigan did (2 to 3). In 2019 they got beat by Michigan State, and the field beat them 8 to 2 for the top 10 players. 2017 was the last class that looked the way it's supposed to for Michigan in their state. 2016 was the same bullshit, though.

Michigan's state population continues to be a flat-ish line, while the southern state populations are exploding. They're stuck in neutral while everyone else is mashing the accelerator. If they ever want to be relevant again in football as an actual contender, they're going to actually have to consider locking down their own state. Can't see how Harbaugh reverses this trend at this point. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Harbaugh's inability to lock down his home state at this point is just fucking pathetic. So far in 2020, they've lost their highest ranked player to Kentucky. Purdue had almost as many top 10 kids as Michigan did (2 to 3). In 2019 they got beat by Michigan State, and the field beat them 8 to 2 for the top 10 players. 2017 was the last class that looked the way it's supposed to for Michigan in their state. 2016 was the same bullshit, though.

Michigan's state population continues to be a flat-ish line, while the southern state populations are exploding. They're stuck in neutral while everyone else is mashing the accelerator. If they ever want to be relevant again in football as an actual contender, they're going to actually have to consider locking down their own state. Can't see how Harbaugh reverses this trend at this point. 

Really have to wonder at what point he makes a jump back to the NFL...seems to be more of a when, not an if discussion these days.

41 minutes ago, victory88 said:

What was the story on McCree?  Was he phased out by the new coaching hires or did he just want out?

IT Scoop

Spoiler

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

This week's Scoop catches up with top 2021 targets on the radar, potential visitors, and notes/quotes from in-state and out-of-state prospects. Get a dose.

ANDREW MUKUBA

The Austin LBJ athlete had a busy week last week as a handful of programs make the call to offer. Texas has yet to offer but he knows where he stands with the hometown Horns.

IT: Quite the week you had last week picking up some big offers. What stood out the most to you?

AM: "My phone was going crazy, coaches calling me and texting me. Everything was going my way."

IT: What offers did you pick up?

AM: "I picked up Alabama, Ole Miss, Tenn, Arkansas, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. It's been crazy."

IT: I imagine that Alabama offer probably felt pretty good.

AM: "The Alabama one hit different. Where I'm from [Austin area] it's rare for a guy to get an Alabama offer."

IT: Of the schools who have yet to offer, who do you talk to the most?

AM: "Texas, OU, and I talk to A&M here and there."

IT: You're really versatile. Do schools have a position in mind for you.

AM: "Just DB, they see me at either corner or safety."

IT: Do you have a preference?

AM: "I prefer safety because I've been playing that my whole life but I'll play corner too."

IT: What is Texas telling you?

AM: "Coach Ash has been by the school and he says they're still evaluating me and they're going to keep evaluating and come watch me this spring."

IT: What do you think of Coach Ash?

AM: "I feel like he's a straight up honest guy. If he has to evaluate me further then that's what he has to do."

IT: Do you have any visits planned for the spring

AM: "I'm going to OU on March 1st and Arizona on April 4th. Those are the only two set up for now."

IT: How close are you and Latrell (McCutchin, 2021 CB committed to Alabama):

AM: "That's like my brother, we've been knowing each other for a long time."

IT: I hear you run track. Do you have any specific goals for the season?

AM: "To just get faster so it will translate on the field and make everything easier for me. I feel like track will help. My goal is to just run fast in whatever they have me run."

Mukuba and his family have an increasingly popular story in America. He was born in Africa but moved to America when he was nine years old. He was born in Zimbabwe but his parents are originally from the Congo.

TWO DEVELOPING THEMES

The discussion with Mukuba got me thinking of a couple other notes regarding recruiting.

Ash could be a stud recruiter: I think Coach Ash is going to be a star recruiter, at least for his position. He's hit the ground running and will have a bunch of prospects visit this spring from out-of-state. When you can get people to visit on their own dime from far away it's a positive early indicator. Jaylin Smith's remarks last week were encouraging, and I like hearing how he was straight up with Mukuba. That resonates with players and buys you time to truly evaluate. There's a time limit on this approach but you cross that bridge when you get there.

Managing numbers: Another theme I was thinking about is, this staff hasn't always done a great job of recruiting secondary targets. This cycle could be the ultimate test, particularly on the offensive line, in the secondary, and at wide receiver. Each position is similar in that they'll take bigger groups and will have to know when to stay on a priority target or push for a player in the tier below. If you manage this poorly, you're taking a tier-3 player in December.

Normally it would be too early in the cycle to be concerned with this, but we saw how they finished the 2020 cycle at receiver and corner, and how they generally finish every class with room remaining.

They have to hit OL, WR, and CB recruiting out of the park. At the same time, one has to be realistic with their chances on individual players. Donovan Jackson isn't likely to flip so if Jonah Miller wants in, what do you do? They're likely to have some hard decisions to make in the coming months. Strong relationships are required to manage it all.

BUSY SPRING

We're going to get a better idea of who the "real" targets are in the class over the next couple of months. I'm encouraged by the number of OOS prospects who state they intend to visit. Let's put it in list form.

RB Donovan Edwards, West Bloomfield (West Bloomfield, MI)

RB TreVeyon Henderson, Hopewell (Hopewell, VA): Five-star Tony Grimes' dad on Henderson:
"The best RB in the country hands down. Great young man with great grades! Checks all the boxes you want in a recruit. No sacrificing character for ability; he has it all. He will end up where he is wanted and needed. No recruit talk... No games.. a lot of programs say they want you; but why? Do you want him for all the right reasons or just for your own personal gain. I know that for sure because he and my son Tony have that in common about their recruiting process." Encouraging, sounds like you make the Bijan Robinson pitch all over again. More from JW below.

WR Troy Stellato, Cardinal Gibbons (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
OL Jager Burton, Frederick Douglass (Lexington, KY)
OL Jonah Miller, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ)
OL Bram Walden, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ)
CB Terrion Arnold, John Paul II Catholic (Tallahassee, FL)
CB Tony Grimes, Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA): I caught up with Grimes' dad to ask him about TreVeyon Henderson. As far as they go, he said they'll be in Texas in mid-April and will spend a day or two with the staff.
DB Jantzen Dunn, South Warren (Bowling Green, KY)
DB Jaylin Smith, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA)
ATH Denzel Burke, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ)

This is just who we've talked to so you can expect more. I think safety Calen Bullock and corner Jamier Johnson, both from Pasadena, CA., will visit as well.

This is a solid percentage of OOS offers intending to make the visit and also very high quality. Most of these guys are sure-fire takes.

SAWYER ROBERTSON

When Texas took Katy Tompkins signal-caller Jalen Milroe last summer, one of the bell cows of UT's 2021 class was set. Over the last few months, the staff decided it would be better to add another quarterback to the class. With Sam Ehlinger entering his senior year, and one of its QB takes for 2020 - Ja'Quinden Jackson - tears his ACL in the state semifinals, adding another to the QB room made sense.

At this point, new OC Mike Yurcich wants one more and they've narrowed that search to two qualified applicants; Garrett Nussmeier and Sawyer Robertson. I caught up with Nussmeier last week. It's Robertson's turn. I caught up with the 6-foot-4, 200-pound four-star for all things recruiting. The Texas offer made an impression.

"It's Texas," said Robertson. "That says everything. The history, the tradition, the program is all about winning. Coach Yurcich offering was huge. (UT) showing faith in me really matters."

The Horns aren't the only school on the radar. Mississippi State, USC, TCU, and Iowa are the schools recruiting him the hardest today. Florida State and Wisconsin are pushing as well. Mike Leach offered while he was at Wazzu, and re-offered when he arrived in Starkville.

"The first time I spoke to coach Leach, we discussed Mexican food for half an hour," Robertson said with a laugh.

His visit schedule is very much in the air. He's a standout baseball player (centerfield, closer) who has games this spring and summer. Even with his busy agenda, he still finds time to throw routes and work on his passing skills. "My feet and my accuracy are things I'm always trying to improve."

"I play baseball so I haven't figured out where I'll go yet," Robertson said. "That'll take up a lot of my time. Hopefully I see a few schools when I have a weekend. I want to take most of my officials this fall."

One of those will definitely be to Austin. Robertson has only been to the state's capitol once, when he was in 6th grade for a field trip. He wants to experience gameday at DKR.

ELIJAH ARROYO

When Texas had two tight ends commit early for 2021, Juan Davis and Lake McRee, it appeared the position was wrapped up in this cycle. But it's recruiting, which means it's always fluid until that signature comes across Tom Herman's desk. And like that, McRee recently de-committed and Davis is coming off an injury in his junior campaign.

New TE coach Jay Boulware went looking for a new target. He might've found it in Frisco Independence three-star Elijah Arroyo.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound junior burst on the scene late in 2020 and after watching his tape and growing offer list, he might be the best pass-catching tight end in-state this cycle. Texas offered on February 1st, while Alabama, Michigan, Penn State, Auburn, and Georgia have all followed suit.

“It's crazy, I never would have thought all of this would happen so fast," said Arroyo, about his sudden rise on the recruiting scene. "Really blessed."

The Texas offer seems to stick out for the Frisco native.

“Getting an offer from Texas is truly a blessing," Arroyo insisted. "They are a great school both on and off the field.”

Arroyo's head is spinning at this point, so narrowing down the visits he'll take is taking some time and family discussions.

“I plan on visiting a lot of schools this spring like Miami, USC, Michigan, LSU, Bama, TCU, Auburn and Texas.”

Texas plans on taking another tight end in 2021, so getting in on the ground floor with the future four-star was smart. Boulware having DFW ties and connections can't hurt either.

TREYEVON HENDERSON

After nabbing Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) five-star Bijan Robinson in 2020, the running back room in Austin got a lot sexier. So when UT offered one of the nation's top tailbacks in Henderson, it was another example of Stan Drayton shooting his shot. The Hopewell (VA) native is now on the big board and has scheduled an official visit to Austin.

That's a great sign considering the 5-foot-11, 195-pound five-star boasts 39 offers, including Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and OU. Not bad for a prospect that rushed for 45 touchdowns and 2,424 yards in 2019. But the Texas verbal invitation caught his attention.

"UT is full of good people and is just a great program," said Henderson. "They have lots of sources and connections. I like the RB coach (Drayton) a lot. When we talk, we didn’t even talk about football a lot, we talked about life after football, what I want to major in, things like that. And that’s why I like Texas so much. I can tell (Drayton) doesn’t just want me to help them win games. But help me grow as a man."

Despite the laundry list of schools, Henderson admits he's wide open. He doesn't have any favorites and is going into this with an open mind.

"Clemson, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, and LSU are a few schools I'd like to see," Henderson said. "I'll be at Texas in late April, I think the 25th and 26th."

Henderson also participates in track - he runs the 55m indoor, and 100m outdoor. For a guy with his speed, that's a no-brainer.

Give Drayton some credit here. After hitting the west coast last cycle, he's going cross-country to the east coast for 2021 for this young star.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Urban Meyer to Michigan.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

As much as it pains me to type this out...there is a scenario where Texas doesn’t lock down its own state either this year

Thanks Tom 

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

As much as it pains me to type this out...there is a scenario where Texas doesn’t lock down its own state either this year

Thanks Tom 

Yes, and Herman can fuck off. But Texas is 2.5x the population of MI, and churns our way more football players. It also has more regional poachers that are good programs. That’s not an excuse, but it’s a reality. Texas *can* survive to a degree without locking down the state. I don’t think MI can anymore. But either way it’s hard to imagine Harbaugh reversing his trend at this point. He’s already recruited himself to a competitive disadvantage to be relevant nationally, and it doesn’t look like he can coach his way out of it. 

• Like 1

So, what's the REAL story on this dude?  

"I just don’t like them," he said. "A lot of people just think we grew up loving Texas. It’s not really like that out here. In my recruitment—I can’t really speak for anybody else—but I feel like Texas was sleeping on me. I mean I live 20 minutes away from the school, and I had an OU offer, an Alabama offer. I had all these different offers before I even got the UT offer. And I camped up there. I went and visited like five weeks in a row. So with me, UT, they don’t really have a shot with me. Like, that’s dead. They can take their offer back to tell you truth."

McCutchin is a four-star recruit, according to the 247 Sports Composite Player Rankings, and committed to Nick Saban's Tide last June.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

11 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"I just don’t like them," he said. "A lot of people just think we grew up loving Texas. It’s not really like that out here. In my recruitment—I can’t really speak for anybody else—but I feel like Texas was sleeping on me. I mean I live 20 minutes away from the school, and I had an OU offer, an Alabama offer. I had all these different offers before I even got the UT offer. And I camped up there. I went and visited like five weeks in a row. So with me, UT, they don’t really have a shot with me. Like, that’s dead. They can take their offer back to tell you truth."

McCutchin is a four-star recruit, according to the 247 Sports Composite Player Rankings, and committed to Nick Saban's Tide last June.

he also said he can't imagine living in Austin for the next 4 years, and his parents don't like UT either. Dad likes FSU, mom just wants him to be happy lol.  I get the Austin part.. As soon as I graduated I went to the Marines, because I needed to get out of the city..  Then I realized once I was away how special Austin really is and I'm still trying to return :( 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I cannot say fuck this kid enough. I hope to god the staff does rescind his offer. 

8 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I cannot say fuck this kid enough. I hope to god the staff does rescind his offer. 

Most obnoxious recruits gradually reveal their bitchassedness over the course of a full cycle. Latrell wants everyone to know right up front, and I (don't actually) respect that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just so many night you can sleep over with those guys.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Lmao at Latrell.  Texas will recruit the the best DBs regardless with our pedigree and history.  He can go fuck off and ride the bench at Bama and never to be heard of again.  Dude is so SALTY and insecure.  

Wait 'til he finds out that his Bama offer isn't really commitable.  He'll end up in Norman and it will serve him right.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Lmao at Latrell.  Texas will recruit the the best DBs regardless with our pedigree and history.  He can go fuck off and ride the bench at Bama and never to be heard of again.  Dude is so SALTY and insecure.  

How did that go last cycle at CB?