Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Lmao at Latrell.  Texas will recruit the the best DBs regardless with our pedigree and history.  He can go fuck off and ride the bench at Bama and never to be heard of again.  Dude is so SALTY and insecure.  

The clip indicates that his parents didn't like Texas either.  So, I'm not sure if they didn't like Horns before he was recruited or are just pissed that we didn't go in hog-wild early on.  My question is...why did it take us so long to offer?

3 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

How did that go last cycle at CB? 

We got absolute badass in Kitan Crawford to go along with the abundant 4 star and 5 star recruits we have in the secondary form 2018 and 2019.  Good thing we have a DB that is ranked higher than Latrell in Billy Bowman already committed for 2021.  Lock down Ibraheem and you're probably looking at a top 3 CB tandem in the country for 2021.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

The clip indicates that his parents didn't like Texas either.  So, I'm not sure if they didn't like Horns before he was recruited or are just pissed that we didn't go in hog-wild early on.  My question is...why did it take us so long to offer?

Offering a kid during their sophomore year is waiting too long?  We offered him 2 days after Bama...

Edited by victory88
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

just pulling a total guess out of thin air, maybe a little bird told the staff what an asshat the kid was. 

It's February, atleast we know he doesn't want anything to do with Texas.  I'd thank him for letting us know early, the same way Zach did a solid for us last spring. Good luck at Bama or ou or wherever you wind up at (maybe aggy?).  I'm sure you'll have an awesome time away from Austin lol

Edited by Thiefery

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

It's February, atleast we know he doesn't want anything to do with Texas.  I'd thank him for letting us know early, the same way Zach did a solid for us last spring. Good luck at Bama or ou or wherever you wind up at (maybe aggy?).  I'm sure you'll have an awesome time away from Austin lol

you wanna bet hes gonna try a visit for tay music festival this spring?  just looe Zach. smh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

He’s mad because they camped there multiple times trying to get an offer, but it didn’t come soon enough for their ego.

I don't blame Latrell. He is so young, and he is taking so many things on a personal level that shouldn't be taken personally.

This is really an indictment of his parents and his coaches. Who raises & mentors a young man to say something like this? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I don't blame Latrell. He is so young, and he is taking so many things on a personal level that shouldn't be taken personally.

This is really an indictment of his parents and his coaches. Who raises & mentors a young man to say something like this? 

His dad's Twitter activity has been incredibly bitchmade. I'm shocked that someone who bandwagoned FSU back when they were good is a frontrunning dipshit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, I thought that was a possibility, but I thought you were sharp enough to actually use an aggy TE recruit rather than a DE to make the joke. I realize now that I gave you too much credit thinking it was a memory slip instead of a poor joke.

Only first half of username checks out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

Lmao at Latrell.  Texas will recruit the the best DBs regardless with our pedigree and history.  He can go fuck off and ride the bench at Bama and never to be heard of again.  Dude is so SALTY and insecure.  

He probably can't, actually. He just doesnt know it yet. 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I mean, he is a commit. He's good at football, and they're great at forcing malcontents to shape up or get processed.

Good's a pretty relative term, but good enough for Bama? Ehhhhhh. 

Like Ricky's one hitter said, he's probably not going to have a committable offer by the end of the cycle. He's a guy who was a hot prospect early, but he's going to be fading for the rest of this cycle him being a pre-Madonna isnt going to help his cause.  He should probably take back what he said about Texas and visit campus again just so he can pick Malcolm Epps' brain on signs that Bama may be pulling your offer. 

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Offering a kid during their sophomore year is waiting too long?  We offered him 2 days after Bama...

Not that it matters in the recruitment but I've seen this 2 day difference in his offers mentioned a lot. Bama offered him May 13 of last year. UT offered him June 1st of last year.

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, I thought that was a possibility, but I thought you were sharp enough to actually use an aggy TE recruit rather than a DE to make the joke. I realize now that I gave you too much credit thinking it was a memory slip instead of a poor joke.

Swing Miss GIF by moodman

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Someone hasn't been religiously keeping up with the thread like the rest of us losers devastatingly handsome and successful recruitniks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Someone hasn't been religiously keeping up with the thread like the rest of us losers devastatingly handsome and successful recruitniks

No, dammit.  He just thought you were sharp enough to actually use an aggy TE recruit rather than a DE to make the joke.

Hehehe.  For real though, who would have ever thought Jimbo would pull this one? 

10 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

What did it say? Not popping up for me.

Landen King posted two 'good luck in the playoffs' edits, one from Texas and one from aggy. The Texas one was a space jam riff, fucking cool. The aggy one was jimbo with a basketball at the free throw line (he connects with the young people). He deleted them both.

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, it was in the aggy thread which I don't regularly read. Mea culpa

The day you do is the day the super hot 10s come callin’. Then, you must prove yourself worthy by posting on every page of both megathreads while satisfying all of your new lady friends. Remember the rules. 

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Bama S&C coach leaving to UGa. Sensing Saban hitting twilight of career? That’s some uncertainty that should help more with Brocks

He got hired away as a position coach, which is a pretty big upgrade, and he has a long history with Kirby. Maybe it will be one more brick in the wall of Saban’s constant staff turnover, but I don’t see it having much more significance than that.  

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Bama S&C coach leaving to UGa. Sensing Saban hitting twilight of career? That’s some uncertainty that should help more with Brocks

Sounds like Bama is interviewing Aaron Feld (Oregon S&C guy - formerly at UGA and Bama) for the spot today. 

Perhaps another nod to Cristobal being the first post-Saban HC at Bama? 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, victory88 said:

Yeah, I'd take Arroyo and King over McCree.  I'll say this much about this staff.  Even with 2 potential TEs, they are doing their homework instead of holding on to an early commit with a pretty significant injury.  Arroyo may be one of the better TE prospects to come out of Texas in a while.  King is very good too.  

spacer.png

anybody know someone at El Arroyo ? get that sign as a recruiting tool  

21 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, what's the REAL story on this dude?  

"I just don’t like them," he said. "A lot of people just think we grew up loving Texas. It’s not really like that out here. In my recruitment—I can’t really speak for anybody else—but I feel like Texas was sleeping on me. I mean I live 20 minutes away from the school, and I had an OU offer, an Alabama offer. I had all these different offers before I even got the UT offer. And I camped up there. I went and visited like five weeks in a row. So with me, UT, they don’t really have a shot with me. Like, that’s dead. They can take their offer back to tell you truth."

McCutchin is a four-star recruit, according to the 247 Sports Composite Player Rankings, and committed to Nick Saban's Tide last June.

spacer.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He got hired away as a position coach, which is a pretty big upgrade, and he has a long history with Kirby. Maybe it will be one more brick in the wall of Saban’s constant staff turnover, but I don’t see it having much more significance than that.  

read elsewhere that evidently their wives are pretty close as well

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Crystal Ballin: Updating 2021 predictions

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin: Updating 2021 predictions
MIKE ROACH

After a few weeks and a host of visits for 2021 prospects, I've had the opportunity to speak with several sources on a few Texas targets.  In this edition of Crystal Ballin, I update several new crystal ball predictions.  

OL Savion Byrd, Duncanville

Previous pick: Texas

Current pick: Foggy

Analysis: When Ja’Quinden Jackson committed to Texas, I was told by sources in Dallas that Savion Byrd could soon follow. With Jackson on board and Ra’Shaad Samples on staff, things looked fantastic for the Longhorns. Throughout the fall, I continued to feel good about the pick, but things are changing rapidly in this recruitment. Byrd has been on campus at SMU just about every time the doors have been open. Unless Texas can turn the tide and get Byrd back on campus, I don’t like his chances of ending up at Texas.

TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis

Analysis: McRee decided to open up his recruitment following the offensive staff changes in Austin over the offseason. While Texas didn’t drop the local prospect, there are more than enough tight ends out there for Texas to look into. McRee is picking up interest from a ton of other schools, and it’s easy to see both sides going their separate ways.

DE Jordon Thomas, Port Arthur Memorial

Previous pick: None

Current pick: Texas

Analysis: Texas made an early impression on Thomas when they offered, but it took a while for the Longhorns to get him back on campus. Thomas has been to Austin twice in the last few months, and it sounds like Texas is in the lead currently. Texas A&M has been involved and LSU is in the race to an extent. Still, I think that if Thomas had to decide right now, Texas would be the pick.

TE Landen King, Atascocita

Analysis: Texas offered King with the thought in mind that McRee might be on the verge of de-committing. King was very receptive to the offer, and he’s been very pro-Texas on twitter. If Texas pushes hard for King during the spring, I feel that they could shut the door on his recruitment and win him over.

LB Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek

Analysis: No player was as blown away by his January visit to Texas as the fast-rising Shadow Creek linebacker. While other big programs are getting involved, I was told by sources near Cooks that Texas is an offer that stands out above the others for him. It’s still early and Cooks will likely get the most out of the recruiting process, but Texas is in great shape right now.

RB Jonathon Brooks, Hallettsville

Analysis: Texas was the first school to offer Brooks, and they’ve been serious about recruiting him since that time. Texas Tech and Texas State have since offered, and more schools could be coming following the spring evaluation period. Still, Brooks was impressed by the Texas offer and loved his visit to campus during January. If Texas keeps pushing, I see Brooks as one of the backs in the class.

• Like 1

Since I guess this is the thread where you hillbillies have chosen to discuss the Bama S&C coach, Cochran, leaving, I'll post an update here. I spoke with a good friend who is also very close to Cochran today. It's a big deal, all the way around. Anyone dismissing that is an uninformed idiot or spinning. It's also not a move because the guy is buddies with Kirby Smart. That's so reductive that it isn't even worth further addressing. 

Also, Swinney might get a call in a year or two when Saban is gone, but the assumption is that Cristobal would be the guy. I view Mario Cristobal as a barely functioning idiot on par with Tom Herman, so I'd celebrate that hire. It would be Kirby Smart 2.0. Maybe either guy figures out the strategic aspects of the game and they start winning titles, but right now both look like two dipshits that can and will cheat their asses off and then cross their fingers that they can simply out-talent everyone they play. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Crystal Ballin: Updating 2021 predictions

Reveal hidden contents

Crystal Ballin: Updating 2021 predictions
MIKE ROACH

After a few weeks and a host of visits for 2021 prospects, I've had the opportunity to speak with several sources on a few Texas targets.  In this edition of Crystal Ballin, I update several new crystal ball predictions.  

OL Savion Byrd, Duncanville

Analysis: When Ja’Quinden Jackson committed to Texas, I was told by sources in Dallas that Savion Byrd could soon follow. With Jackson on board and Ra’Shaad Samples on staff, things looked fantastic for the Longhorns. Throughout the fall, I continued to feel good about the pick, but things are changing rapidly in this recruitment. Byrd has been on campus at SMU just about every time the doors have been open. Unless Texas can turn the tide and get Byrd back on campus, I don’t like his chances of ending up at Texas.

TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis

Analysis: McRee decided to open up his recruitment following the offensive staff changes in Austin over the offseason. While Texas didn’t drop the local prospect, there are more than enough tight ends out there for Texas to look into. McRee is picking up interest from a ton of other schools, and it’s easy to see both sides going their separate ways.

DE Jordon Thomas, Port Arthur Memorial

Analysis: Texas made an early impression on Thomas when they offered, but it took a while for the Longhorns to get him back on campus. Thomas has been to Austin twice in the last few months, and it sounds like Texas is in the lead currently. Texas A&M has been involved and LSU is in the race to an extent. Still, I think that if Thomas had to decide right now, Texas would be the pick.

TE Landen King, Atascocita

Analysis: Texas offered King with the thought in mind that McRee might be on the verge of de-committing. King was very receptive to the offer, and he’s been very pro-Texas on twitter. If Texas pushes hard for King during the spring, I feel that they could shut the door on his recruitment and win him over.

LB Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek

Analysis: No player was as blown away by his January visit to Texas as the fast-rising Shadow Creek linebacker. While other big programs are getting involved, I was told by sources near Cooks that Texas is an offer that stands out above the others for him. It’s still early and Cooks will likely get the most out of the recruiting process, but Texas is in great shape right now.

RB Jonathon Brooks, Hallettsville

Analysis: Texas was the first school to offer Brooks, and they’ve been serious about recruiting him since that time. Texas Tech and Texas State have since offered, and more schools could be coming following the spring evaluation period. Still, Brooks was impressed by the Texas offer and loved his visit to campus during January. If Texas keeps pushing, I see Brooks as one of the backs in the class.

OB talked to Byrd a week or so ago and said he was visiting in the spring plus an OV.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Since I guess this is the thread where you hillbillies have chosen to discuss the Bama S&C coach, Cochran, leaving, I'll post an update here. I spoke with a good friend who is also very close to Cochran today. It's a big deal, all the way around. Anyone dismissing that is an uninformed idiot or spinning. It's also not a move because the guy is buddies with Kirby Smart.

This should be apparent to anyone who follows CFB.

S&C coaches are the most vital to the day-to-day interaction with players. They are the hammers that carry out the will of the HC in making players conform. The enforcers. And at Alabama, the dude is more or less the foundation of the program (after Saban). He's been there since 2007. And he's leaving to take a ST role?

As Joe Biden would say, this is a big fucking deal.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Thiefery said:

he also said he can't imagine living in Austin for the next 4 years, and his parents don't like UT either. Dad likes FSU, mom just wants him to be happy lol.  I get the Austin part.. As soon as I graduated I went to the Marines, because I needed to get out of the city..  Then I realized once I was away how special Austin really is and I'm still trying to return :( 

I am reminded of this every time I travel for work. Very much spoiled living here in Austin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

This should be apparent to anyone who follows CFB.

S&C coaches are the most vital to the day-to-day interaction with players. They are the hammers that carry out the will of the HC in making players conform. The enforcers. And at Alabama, the dude is more or less the foundation of the program (after Saban). He's been there since 2007. And he's leaving to take a ST role?

As Joe Biden would say, this is a big fucking deal.

Given how important S&C coaches are to the day-to-day operations, why would Smart hire Cochran into a position-coach role?  It certainly will rattle the foundation of the Bama program, which has significant value to Georgia.  That said, why not also place Cochran in a position where he will have access to the players on a daily basis?

10 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Given how important S&C coaches are to the day-to-day operations, why would Smart hire Cochran into a position-coach role?  It certainly will rattle the foundation of the Bama program, which has significant value to Georgia.  That said, why not also place Cochran in a position where he will have access to the players on a daily basis?

Probably because Cochran wanted to be a coach. 

It's Georgia. They're no stranger to flaunting the rules. I'm sure Cochran will have specific input on S&C. I'm also sure he'll have as much day to day contact as he wants with the kids, NCAA restrictions be damned because, again, SEC. 

26 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

'Cos Georgia Bulldog$

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably because Cochran wanted to be a coach. 

It's Georgia. They're no stranger to flaunting the rules. I'm sure Cochran will have specific input on S&C. I'm also sure he'll have as much day to day contact as he wants with the kids, NCAA restrictions be damned because, again, SEC. 

Or Cochran wanted out of Bama ASAP and Kirby gave him the landing spot he had available. I have a buddy who coached with Cochran pre-Bama. I'll have to see what he knows.

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Or Cochran wanted out of Bama ASAP and Kirby gave him the landing spot he had available. I have a buddy who coached with Cochran pre-Bama. I'll have to see what he knows.

Cochran is at the top of his profession. If Saban keeled over this very minute, the guy could find a job elsewhere in a heartbeat, probably still making the same 600k a year. The guy didn't need to sneak out like a thief in the night because he saw Rome beginning to burn. Shit, graham herrell can remain under Clay Helton another year and still not have to worry about future job security. 

Occam's Razor said the guy wanted to be an on field coach. But who knows. I'll be curious to hear any insight you have from your buddy.