Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

So Jeff Miller was  named Cy Fair head coach last week. He's not an aggy, so there's that. He graduated from Cy Fair and then went to Nebraska, and Louisiana Lafayette, and then later became the whitest graduate of Prairie View A&M ever. Does this change anything with LJ or at least Cy Fair players in general going forward?

Class predictions from Nahlin

Spoiler

Guys you should feel good about being in the class:

Terrence Cooks
Jonathon Brooks
Landen King
Shemar Turner

Guys I could see at Texas when the dust settles:

Sawyer Robertson
LJ Johnson (depends on how things go OOS)
Theodore Knox
Brockermaii
Bryce Foster
Landon Jackson
Jordon Thomas (if UT misses on Jackson they’ll get Thomas, imo)
Isaiah Nwokobia (would have him in above group depending on push)

Then there are a lot of guys it’s too early to get a good feel for, especially with an overhauled staff. You might take UT over any other school but still favor the field.

Someone will ask about Quay Davis. To me you have to recruit like he won’t end up in the class regardless of what happens.

2 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Given how important S&C coaches are to the day-to-day operations, why would Smart hire Cochran into a position-coach role?  It certainly will rattle the foundation of the Bama program, which has significant value to Georgia.  That said, why not also place Cochran in a position where he will have access to the players on a daily basis?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably because Cochran wanted to be a coach. 

It's Georgia. They're no stranger to flaunting the rules. I'm sure Cochran will have specific input on S&C. I'm also sure he'll have as much day to day contact as he wants with the kids, NCAA restrictions be damned because, again, SEC. 

He looked at it pretty simply: He makes $600k now at the top of his profession. His ceiling isn't much higher on that. He's ambitious enough to want to be a head coach, and if he achieves that level, his returns would dwarf what he could reasonably expect to make otherwise. It wasn't only about money, but the gap in compensation was too wide to be ignored and he was approached about on the field roles every offseason. He finally decided to make the leap. 

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

So Jeff Miller was  named Cy Fair head coach last week. He's not an aggy, so there's that. He graduated from Cy Fair and then went to Nebraska, and Louisiana Lafayette, and then later became the whitest graduate of Prairie View A&M ever. Does this change anything with LJ or at least Cy Fair players in general going forward?

Cy Fair players going forward, quite possibly. I don't know anything about this guy, so I'm just wish casting, but you can't imagine he's going to be pushing kids to aTm. He can try to push them to Nebraska all he fucking wants, or La Lafayette. Maybe he's a closest Ag, though considering hes a part of the aTm system, though. I would also keep an eye on how much staff turnover there is over the next couple years. Have to think most of that staff is staying intact for now.

As for LJ, can't think it matters at all. Miller isn't going to come in being pro UT, and his current fascination with Georgia doesn't seem likely to be tempered by this. UT needs to pick up their fucking efforts on him, to be frank. They're pussyfooting around and not treating him like he's running back 1A in the class. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Reveal hidden contents

Terrence Cooks
Jonathon Brooks
Landen King
Shemar Turner

Sawyer Robertson
Theodore Knox
Brockermaii
Bryce Foster
Landon Jackson

Then there are a lot of guys it’s too early to get a good feel for, especially with an overhauled staff. You might take UT over any other school but still favor the field.

Someone will ask about Quay Davis. To me you have to recruit like he won’t end up in the class regardless of what happens.

Looking likely to be King instead of Arroyo for the other TE spot as of now.  Turner looks like an eventual DT.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Jeff Miller was our OC at Bay City under Warren Trahan (Aggie alum). QB was Texas special teams legend  Beau Trahan. Miller made a move when Chad Morris (Aggie) took over the Bay City job in 2000. He has coached under some Aggie grads but don't remember him being a red ass hardcore whoooper. 

Edited by Blackcat00

(Class non-predictions from Roach.)

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Where Texas stands with the Top 10 prospects in Texas

Spoiler

Where Texas stands with the Top 10 prospects in Texas
MIKE ROACH

247Sports released its latest update to the Top247 Rankings for the 2021 class last Wednesday. It's one of several updates that will be made throughout the coming year with spring/summer camp evaluations, to go along with senior tape and All-American Bowl/Under Armour Game critiques that will ultimately decide the final rankings next January.

The state of Texas is well represented in the update, with several top prospects among the Top247 at this juncture.

Here, Horns247 breaks down the Top 10 recruits in the Lone Star State, according to the 247Sports Rankings.

Four-star WR JoJo Earle, Aledo

Height/Weight: 5-9, 170

2019 Stats: 429 rushing yards, 11 touchdowns, 1601 receiving yards, 15 touchdowns

247Sports Rating: No. 69 overall

Earle is one of the most dynamic prospects in the state, and he’s soon to be a three-year starter at Fort Worth-area powerhouse, Aledo. Earle was originally very high on Texas, and sources near him at the time indicated he could be close to a commitment. Earle decided to re-evaluate things when Texas brought in a new offensive staff, and now schools like LSU, Oklahoma and Alabama are in the running for him. Texas is trying to get back in Earle’s good graces, but the Longhorns need to get him on campus this spring.

Four-star LB Clayton Smith, Texarkana Texas High

Height/Weight: 6-4, 215

2019 Stats: N/A

247Sports Rating: No. 61 overall

Smith caught my eye last spring when I made the trip to Texas High, and the big linebacker is doing nothing but surging in his recruitment. Texas had the early lead in this recruitment, but the Longhorns have commitments from similar prospects in Ja'Tavion Sanders and Derrick Harris Jr. The latest buzz is around LSU, and Florida State might have a play as well. Don’t count out Oklahoma in this race, and watch for Texas to continue to hang around.

Four-star WR Cody Jackson, Richmond Foster

Height/Weight: 6-0, 175

2019 Stats: 1366 yards, 21 touchdowns

247Sports Rating: No. 53 overall

Jackson comes from the same high school as former OU receiver CeeDee Lamb, and he wasted no time making his commitment to the Sooners. Jackson made the call almost a year ago, and he hasn’t really looked around since that time. Jackson chose the Sooners over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, LSU, Oregon and TCU. Jackson capped off his junior season with an incredibly productive year, and he’s positioned to be a riser in future rankings.

Four-star RB Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Height/Weight: 5-11, 190

2019 Stats: 1,142 yards, 15 touchdowns

247Sports Rating: No. 42 overall

Wheaton is one of the top big play threats in the state of Texas with the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Wheaton is extremely quiet and doesn’t speak with the media much, but the buzz around his recruitment surrounds Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, SMU and Texas. Sources near Wheaton’s recruitment indicated he might want to stay close to home, but nobody has a clear handle on where Wheaton appears to be heading.

Four-star ATH Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan

Height/Weight: 5-10, 175

2019 Stats: 824 receiving yards, 17 receiving touchdowns, 55 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 2 PBU, 2 FF, 3 INT, 3 INT TD

247Sports Rating: No. 37 overall

Bowman was another huge land for Texas early, and the electric two-way star has been a vocal recruiter for Texas early on. Denton Ryan is a pro-Texas school with former Longhorn Alex De La Torre currently on staff, and Bowman appears to be firm in his commitment right now. Not only could Bowman be a credible threat as a receiver, but he’s arguably the best safety in the state and maybe the best punt returner in the nation.

Four-star OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville

Height/Weight: 6-5, 265

247Sports Rating: No. 36 overall

Byrd looked like a guy that Texas could run way out in front for following the commitment of his high school teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson, but things are changing rapidly in his recruitment. While Texas is still in the picture, SMU and LSU are closing ground, and there’s talk that SMU might even hold the lead at this point. Former Texas staffer Ra’Shaad Samples is now working for the Mustangs, and his ties to Duncanville are very strong with his father as head coach.

Four-star RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair

Height/Weight: 5-10, 204

2019 Stats: 1,951 yards, 37 touchdowns

247Sports Rating: No. 30 overall

Johnson jumped onto the big stage after finishing the year with a productive junior season and incredible verified athleticism numbers at the highest level of Texas high school football. The Longhorns are in the hunt early for Johnson, and they sit near the top of his list. They’ll have to fight off programs like Georgia, Oklahoma, Stanford, LSU and Texas A&M. Johnson rose to the top running back in the state in the latest update, and he’ll battle with Camar Wheaton to hold on to that position.

Four-star ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan

Height/Weight: 6-3.5, 220

2019 Stats: 39 tackles, 20 TFL, 11 sacks, 3 PBU, 2 FF, 47 Rec, 763 yards, 7 touchdowns

247Sports Rating: No. 14 overall

Texas scored huge when they got a commitment from Sanders early in the season. The two-way player helped Denton Ryan reach the 5A-D1 state championship game where it eventually fell short to Shadow Creek. Sanders told Horns247 in January that his commitment to Texas is firm, and he’s looking forward to getting to Austin next year. As a receiver and a defensive end, Sanders said the staff told him he has the option to play either side of the ball when he gets to college.

Five-star OG Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal

Height/Weight: 6-4, 308

247Sports Rating: No. 8 overall

Jackson made his commitment to Ohio State back in January despite heavy attention from Alabama, Texas A&M, Texas, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford and Oklahoma. While other schools will continue to push to flip him, Jackson is firm in his commitment. He has family in the Ohio area, and his mother even carried a Buckeye in her purse before Jackson ever had an offer.

Five-star OT Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal

Height/Weight: 6-6/283

2019 Stats: Did not play due to injury

247Sports Rating: No. 7 overall

Brockermeyer’s recruitment will be among the most anticipated recruitments in the state of Texas. It appears to be shaping up as an Alabama-Texas battle, but don’t count out LSU and Auburn out at all. Brockermeyer and his brother James released their schedule of official visits last week, and Alabama holds the buzz despite the Longhorns holding the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead. We will see how things shake out in the spring and summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

Jeff Miller was our OC at Bay City under Warren Trahan (Aggie alum). QB was Texas special teams legend  Beau Trahan. Miller made a move when Chad Morris (Aggie) took over the Bay City job in 2000. He has coached under some Aggie grads but don't remember him being a red ass hardcore whoooper. 

Trahan was Millers high school coach. The Cy fair team was the one that let (can't remember the team) score because it was the only chance Cy Fair had due to the old penetrations rule. And lots of guys get a master's from PV purely for the convenience,  especially before the proliferation of online plans (referring to the mention above)

And pretty safe bet that if Miller went to Nebraska in the mid late 80s, then aggy probably offered

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Reveal hidden contents

Terrence Cooks
Jonathon Brooks
Landen King
Shemar Turner

Sawyer Robertson
Theodore Knox
Brockermaii
Bryce Foster
Landon Jackson

Regarding the comment about Quay Davis, Mike Farrell has brought him up a couple times recently in articles about possible recruiting surprises. 

Edited by rvm96

3 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Regarding the comment about Quay Davis, Mike Farrell has brought him up a couple times recently in articles about possible recruiting surprises. 

He goes to a DISD school, he's got a kid, he's decommitted before, he's not exactly pinging all the "nice clean quiet recruitment" boxes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Four-star RB Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Height/Weight: 5-11, 190

2019 Stats: 1,142 yards, 15 touchdowns

247Sports Rating: No. 42 overall

Wheaton is one of the top big play threats in the state of Texas with the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Wheaton is extremely quiet and doesn’t speak with the media much, but the buzz around his recruitment surrounds Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, SMU and Texas. Sources near Wheaton’s recruitment indicated he might want to stay close to home, but nobody has a clear handle on where Wheaton appears to be heading.

Well that’s one way to put it 

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cy Fair players going forward, quite possibly. I don't know anything about this guy, so I'm just wish casting, but you can't imagine he's going to be pushing kids to aTm. He can try to push them to Nebraska all he fucking wants, or La Lafayette. Maybe he's a closest Ag, though considering hes a part of the aTm system, though. I would also keep an eye on how much staff turnover there is over the next couple years. Have to think most of that staff is staying intact for now.

As for LJ, can't think it matters at all. Miller isn't going to come in being pro UT, and his current fascination with Georgia doesn't seem likely to be tempered by this. UT needs to pick up their fucking efforts on him, to be frank. They're pussyfooting around and not treating him like he's running back 1A in the class. 

We are talking about Drayton, he very well could be recruiting him like RB1A and no one could tell. 

Since I guess this is the thread where you hillbillies have chosen to discuss the Bama S&C coach, Cochran, leaving, I'll post an update here. I spoke with a good friend who is also very close to Cochran today. It's a big deal, all the way around. Anyone dismissing that is an uninformed idiot or spinning. It's also not a move because the guy is buddies with Kirby Smart. That's so reductive that it isn't even worth further addressing. 
Also, Swinney might get a call in a year or two when Saban is gone, but the assumption is that Cristobal would be the guy. I view Mario Cristobal as a barely functioning idiot on par with Tom Herman, so I'd celebrate that hire. It would be Kirby Smart 2.0. Maybe either guy figures out the strategic aspects of the game and they start winning titles, but right now both look like two dipshits that can and will cheat their asses off and then cross their fingers that they can simply out-talent everyone they play. 
I spent my last $9.95 on lunch today, otherwise i'd..umm, you know

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He looked at it pretty simply: He makes $600k now at the top of his profession. His ceiling isn't much higher on that. He's ambitious enough to want to be a head coach, and if he achieves that level, his returns would dwarf what he could reasonably expect to make otherwise. It wasn't only about money, but the gap in compensation was too wide to be ignored and he was approached about on the field roles every offseason. He finally decided to make the leap. 

The other thing to note, that I had no clue about, was that he is about to be 41 - so still pretty young in the scheme of things...

ESPN 300 updated.

Sanders up from #123 to #53 (probably gets him composite 5*)

Bowman up from #125 to #89.

Shemar Turner now in the 300 at #234

James Brockermeyer up to #102

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2021/order/true

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

ESPN 300 updated.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2021/order/true

Not that he isn't a take, but the JBrock hype train appears to have accelerated out of control. 

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not that he isn't a take, but the JBrock hype train appears to have accelerated out of control. 

It happens with package deals sometimes... Tim Cole's ranking only got as high as it did because he and Malcom Brown were a package deal coming out of Brenham.

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

ESPN 300 updated.

They have Shedeur Sanders, Deon's kid, as the #3 prospect in the state. Very transparent, ESPN

They have Donovan Jackson at #16 and Bryce Foster at #27 in the state. While I think both are overrated as top ten in the country types, this is overcorrecting by way too much 

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It happens with package deals sometimes... Tim Cole's ranking only got as high as it did because he and Malcom Brown were a package deal coming out of Brenham.

His junior hudl looked really good, and then he balled out at a camp shortly after, I think it was the UA Future 50? 

He's a legitimately very good prospect

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

They have Shedeur Sanders, Deon's kid, as the #3 prospect in the state. Very transparent, ESPN

They have Donovan Jackson at #16 and Bryce Foster at #27 in the state. While I think both are overrated as top ten in the country types, this is overcorrecting by way too much 

Shemar Turner seems like a guy that's going to keep moving up.  I bet he tests well at camps, and his hudl looks good IMO playing both DE and DT.  Eventual DT IMO, and that's fine.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

58 minutes ago, Fud said:

His junior hudl looked really good, and then he balled out at a camp shortly after, I think it was the UA Future 50? 

He's a legitimately very good prospect

sarvanaash is either making a hyperbolic comparison because he's emotional, or he's simply incapable of understanding the gap in talent between what we see with James Brockermeyer vs Tim Cole. Either premise is believable to me, and he's wrong either way. 

Whatever the criticisms of Brockermeyer's size or flexibility, he's easily one of the top 3-5 center prospects in the country. That's a top 75-150 player nationally, in my mind. I don't know what the history of player rankings would say to confirm or dispute that view.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Whatever the criticisms of Brockermeyer's size or flexibility, he's easily one of the top 3-5 center prospects in the country. That's a top 75-150 player nationally, in my mind. I don't know what the history of player rankings would say to confirm or dispute that view.

James would be the best center prospect Texas has landed since?

Just now, Fud said:

James would be the best center prospect Texas has landed since?

I'd say Sendlein. I don't remember how he was classified, but that is how they viewed him. I also don't remember his rank, which was, ironically, probably punished because he was a legacy with a brother already at Texas and therefore irrelevant to the national recruiting landscape, but I'm guessing it was 300 or lower. Go watch that HS film though. I guess I don't know if it is still available but he and several of those other guys in that class were nasty on film. Studdard, another legacy, I think was in the same class and his film was violent. Blalock. Damn. Give me something like again.

C has been an issue for the most part since Mack Brown's first year forward. Tim Nunez and Greg Davis passed on several guys that would become standouts at center in college. I remember Greg Barnum being the first whiff. He immediately started as a FR on a damned good Tennessee team. There were multiple guys like that. Barnum was not an unknown and Texas didn't even offer the fucking guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

sarvanaash is either making a hyperbolic comparison because he's emotional, or he's simply incapable of understanding the gap in talent between what we see with James Brockermeyer vs Tim Cole. Either premise is believable to me, and he's wrong either way. 

There are two things you can say positively about Tim Cole: 1) he came to Texas with Malcom Brown, and 2) in high school, he had a reputation as one of the hardest working guys around.

That is not enough in the "plus" column to justify comparing him to a legit take with a legacy bloodline, who has wowed a lot of people on the camp circuit, and who has a big-brother sized chip on his shoulder for being disrespected in spite of relatively high ranking. So, yeah, I'm gonna agree that there are probably about 30,000 better comparisons that could have been made.

That having been said, don't let Sarvomahindra's fundamental douchiness and usual wrongness cloud your judgment about any individual take: they can just be, you know, bad, without being indicative of anything worse. He'll come up with something else much more offensive by the end of the day, if history is any judge. This was a relatively mild misstep, given the record.

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Blair Anguilo has a topic on 247 saying OL Bram Walden will visit in the spring.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out if the 2 Arizona OL want to eventually commit before any of the Texas OL.

I think you take them both with Byrd trending away and DJack committed elsewhere. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well Anguilo posted that and then crystal balled him to Oregon.

247 / Blain Angulo / Bram Walden outlines spring visit plans

Spoiler

Bram Walden outlines spring visit plans
BLAIR ANGULO

GILBERT, Ariz. – A number of top prospects from across the West region made it to the desert this past weekend for the latest Under Armour All-America Camp Series stop.

Among those on hand to compete was Bram Walden, a four-star offensive lineman from nearby Scottsdale Saguaro who has more than 20 scholarship offers to his name.

With the spring period around the corner, the 6-foot-4, 270-pound prospect is planning to hit the road soon.

"I have a few recruiting visits coming up and I'm really excited to get out there to check out some schools," Walden told 247Sports. "I'm headed out to USC on Mar. 7, so that will be the first big unofficial for me. I really like the campus and city, the coaching staff there has been showing a lot of love for a long time. Talking to coach (Tim) Drevno and coach Viane (Talamaivao) is great, and I'm excited to see what the Trojans are all about.

"After that we'll be heading to Texas to check out both Texas and Texas A&M. Coach (Tom) Herman is a great dude and I love that program. They have been making me feel like a priority for a while. With A&M, I haven't been there yet but coach (Josh) Henson is a great and we've been building a good relationship."

Walden hasn't locked in any official visit dates but knows there is one school that will be on that list.

"I know for sure I'll be taking an official to Oregon," Walden said. "And I'll also be up there Apr. 18 for their spring game. Coach Mario Cristobal and coach Alex Mirabal have been great and I've also been talking to Jaylan (Jeffers) a lot about the school and he's trying to get me up there to play with him again, which would be great."

There is no time frame for a decision but Walden added that if he knows where he wants to go, he likely won't hesitate to come off the board.

The Top247 offensive lineman was dominant during the one-on-one session at the Under Armour camp, flashing the reaction speed that makes him such a tough match up even for the quickest edge rushers. Walden is a tough blocker who keeps defenders off him and shows great bend at the point of attack to hold his ground. He punched his ticket to the Under Armour All-America Game with his performance.

Walden is the nation's No. 17 rated offensive tackle and No. 2 overall prospect in the state of Arizona for the 2021 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.

Spoiler

Rivals100 RB TreVeyon Henderson talks visit schedule before summer decision

Adam Friedman • Rivals.com

Recruiting Analyst

@RivalsFriedman

Adam Friedman joined Rivals.com as the Mid-Atlantic Recruiting Analyst in 2012 and covers D1 CFB recruits from NC to Maine & out to PA & WV. Media requests- RivalsFriedman@yahoo.com

Rivals100 running back TreVeyon Henderson picked up numerous offers after an insanely productive junior campaign. Now the Hopewell, Va. star is one of the most coveted backs in the nation. That title means lots of schools want face time with him. Henderson is planning on taking a number of unofficial and official visits in the next two or three months before announcing a commitment in the summer.

IN HIS OWN WORDS...

“I’m going down to Clemson on March 7th,” Henderson said. “I’m going to go down to Florida sometime in March. I'm going to schedule a couple more visits in March. I have a visit to Ohio State coming up on April 10th and I have Oklahoma on April 17th.

“I scheduled a couple officials already,” he said. “I’ll take some more unofficial visits too. The visits to Ohio State and Clemson are unofficial. Oklahoma is an official visit. Texas, Michigan, and LSU are going to get official visits too. The official visit to Texas is at the end of April (the 24th), Michigan is June 19th, and LSU will be in early May.

“I have good relationships with a lot of coaches,” said Henderson. “I want to know what the school is like, what the football program is like, what the coaches are like, does their offense fit me, and things like that.

“I’ll probably come out with a top five or top six at some point,” he said. “I plan on making my decision in late July or August.”

RIVALS' REACTION...

Henderson’s recruitment has changed dramatically over the last month and half. Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Clemson will be heavily involved with him until he signs. In the past Henderson has said he wanted to use his official visits to go to schools that he couldn’t otherwise make it to. Texas, Michigan, and LSU appear to fit that description and they have laid the groundwork to use those visits to jump into the upper tier of Henderson’s recruitment. Oklahoma prioritized Henderson earlier than some of these schools so the Sooners could be slotted a little ahead of the pack along with Ohio State. Clemson originally started recruiting Henderson as a defensive back/athlete but now the Tigers are focusing on bringing him in as a running back. Along with Florida, some unofficial visits over the next few months could include Virginia, Penn State, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Maryland.

From Rivals

https://247sports.com/Player/TreVeyon-Henderson-46049087/

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Oh yeah? Well, they're both dropping rapidly in the Luigi 44, so there!

Sanders does appear to be their token "ok, well he's pretty good" guy in the class (though of course Crownover is being criminally underrated by the sip media). Bowman is absolutely going to get slotted behind Harmon or whoever they take if he goes to Notre Dame.

• Like 1