Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Bryce and Hayden (and Djack) last weekend. Foster is one strong mf.

Javon Gipson, Justice Ugo, and Jalen Emery look like they belong. Ugo was probably best of that group and he's not rated. Emery is a shadow creek kid.

The black unicorn is elite. Derrick Harris should never be in coverage, ever. Terrence Cooks is a must get. Overheard in the video "Maaaaaan....cooks winning every rep". He good. No Brooks.

Ty Kana had some highlights. Who knew Kyle Postma had a little brother? Cooks is not an edge rusher. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Also breaking, JMoore officially back and Leitao to cross-train on defense. Tells me they like where Wiley/Liebrock are or are not confident in their edge rushers. Or both. Probably both.

Leitao seems like a transfer candidate.  I figure the 2 deep at DE would be Ossai/Vaughns and Bimage/Jones with Warren possibly seeing time.

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Leitao seems like a transfer candidate.  I figure the 2 deep at DE would be Ossai/Vaughns and Bimage/Jones with Warren possibly seeing time.

25 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe at LB?

18 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

He hasn’t appeared very tough.

maybe that's how they get him to transfer?

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Leitao to cross-train on defense. Tells me they like where Wiley/Liebrock are or are not confident in their edge rushers. Or both. Probably both.

All it really tells us is that Leitao is a bust. Wiley/Liebrock could still be bad, and our edge-rushing doesn't need any help from a failed TE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

All it really tells us is that Leitao is a bust. Wiley/Liebrock could still be bad, and our edge-rushing doesn't need any help from a failed TE.

Christ almighty, how is it that when you're just stating normal facts you still put the gloomiest possible filter on them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

What evidence does anyone have to indicate that either Wiley or Liebrock are "bad"? It's one thing to be a pussyrubbing bitch, and another thing to be posting/crafting false narratives. Wiley looked pretty fucking terrific for a true FR late in the season. Reports on Liebrock have all been positive. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Bryce and Hayden (and Djack) last weekend. Foster is one strong mf.

Javon Gipson, Justice Ugo, and Jalen Emery look like they belong. Ugo was probably best of that group and he's not rated. Emery is a shadow creek kid.

The black unicorn is elite. Derrick Harris should never be in coverage, ever. Terrence Cooks is a must get. Overheard in the video "Maaaaaan....cooks winning every rep". He good. No Brooks.

Ty Kana had some highlights. Who knew Kyle Postma had a little brother? Cooks is not an edge rusher. 

Foster is an absolute beast. His technique is pretty rough, though right now. He extends his arms way too early and his initial hand placement is way too high, but that stuff can get fixed. You can tell he’s an absolute unit already though, and he won’t have any trouble anchoring or getting push in the run game.

Djack keeps looking good at every camp. Hopefully we can get back in that one. 

Conner does an admirable job at Tackle, but I don’t think he has the feet to stay out there in college. Still like him a lot as a Guard though. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Also breaking, JMoore officially back and Leitao to cross-train on defense. Tells me they like where Wiley/Liebrock are or are not confident in their edge rushers. Or both. Probably both.

Eh. I think all it tells us is that the staff, especially Biulware, thinks he sucks at TE, which is true. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe at LB?

He played DE in HS, and he’s 250+ now. No chance he could work at LB. 

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Lulz. You’re not wrong about Leitao, but you just make everything sound miserable. I do get enjoyment believing you’re not a troll and you actually do wring your hands as much as your posts indicate. 

But you are wrong on Wiley. I think we saw enough from Wiley to know his floor is serviceable as he gains weight/strength and his ceiling is really damn good. No one’s seen enough from Liebrock to know yet, but I’m optimistic on how he’ll develop. He may still be a year away from being a full time TE, but we’ll see. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

maybe that's how they get him to transfer?

I'm sure the program would love for Leitao to transfer.  I just don't think he wants to transfer.  Leitao is a serious student who is majoring in neuroscience and wants a career in medicine.  The knock on him, from a football perspective, is that he is soft and unwilling to play through pain, with minor injuries sidelining him.  I don't see him as a typical guy prioritizing playing time and wanting to transfer for those reasons.  We'll see.

• Like 2

In reality, sarvanaash calling Leitao a "bust" in the first place isn't correct. The guy was a 3 star and ranked way outside of any national lists when he came out of high school. He hasn't panned out, but anyone stacking high expectations onto a recruit of that caliber created their own problem. Meh recruits can often become meh players.

I think people got excited about Leitao because we really needed TEs and there was a halo effect for the new staff coming in and finding good ol'diamonds in the rough. Turns out, with a few of those terribly ranked guys like Cosmi and Kerstetter, they did find some pretty great talent in the bargain bin, but that shouldn't translate to "those other guys all busted". Max Cummins performed exactly as his rating forecasted he would. I think Leitao's play, so far, fits about right as well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

IMG must pull that off like every other year. The SoCal Catholic schools also seem pretty likely to do it.

Thanks -- Good point.  Just wondering about public High Schools like Denton Ryan.

I'm sure a bigger school in Texas that recruits (allegedly) players probably has had 2 5Stars in the same Class at some point...

Edited by LTtxfan

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks -- Good point.  Just wondering about public High Schools like Denton Ryan.

I'm sure a bigger school in Texas that recruits (allegedly) players probably has had 2 5Stars in the same Class at some point...

That's easy - Zach Evans and Damien George!

• Like 2

I actually don’t think it’s that rare to have two 5 stars in the same class, schools recruit too much. Private schools in California and Florida probably do it semi-often, and even in Texas, Marvin Wilson and Walker Little came out of Episcopal the same year.

As far as public schools, I know Grayson High in Georgia had two 5 stars a couple of years ago. 

I can’t remember any in-state public schools recently having two 5-stars though Westfield came really close with Ed Oliver and Tyrie Cleveland. Cleveland barely missed the 5 star cutoff line in the composite.

Edited by Lonestar88