Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I remember when we debated if we would take 6-7 OL in this class because of how deep the position was in state and how we led for all of the top prospects. I argued we should have taken 5 in 2020 because of the lead time required to develop this position and the whole bird in the hand concept. It’s one thing for us fans to smell our own farts but I just wish our coaches would be a little more honest with themselves. 

Who did you want as the 5th? 

55 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I remember when we debated if we would take 6-7 OL in this class because of how deep the position was in state and how we led for all of the top prospects. I argued we should have taken 5 in 2020 because of the lead time required to develop this position and the whole bird in the hand concept. It’s one thing for us fans to smell our own farts but I just wish our coaches would be a little more honest with themselves. 

I mean... we're not really yet out of it with anyone we want?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

10:48p, 2/28/20 

Staff

Port Arthur Memorial DE Jordon Thomas mentioned on social media earlier today that he believes he's getting close to making a decision regarding his future. In the post, it showed him in both an A&M and a Texas jersey. 

My sources in the Golden Triangle indicated to me that before Thomas would make a decision, he has two scheduled visits to Texas A&M coming up this spring. I'm betting one of those will be an official. Intel I was given indicated Thomas had been in talks with A&M staffers as recently as today, and I've been told Terry Price, Mike Elko, and Elijah Robinson have done a fantastic job of recruiting JT up to this point. Thomas actually lives in Port Acres, a small, country community right next to Port Arthur. I think that the laid back style of living there has given College Station a bit of a draw. 

He was in Austin in January, but I am have not been told if he'll make it back to Texas before making his decision. LSU continues to be a contender, but I heard today it was beginning to sound less likely that the Tigers would be the spot unless something changes pretty quickly. 

11 hours ago, Fud said:

Who did you want as the 5th? 

We shut down OL recruiting after we got our four.  Are you telling me if we had evaluated and pursued another player there was no one we could have signed? I call bull shit on that notion. 

Until our roster looks like Alabama or Clemson we should be signing larger classes. We should not be sitting here after signing day with scholarships in hand because we are waiting on a deeper pool the next year. Numbers will always work themselves out. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

We shut down OL recruiting after we got our four.  Are you telling me if we had evaluated and pursued another player there was no one we could have signed? I call bull shit on that notion. 

Until our roster looks like Alabama or Clemson we should be signing larger classes. We should not be sitting here after signing day with scholarships in hand because we are waiting on a deeper pool the next year. Numbers will always work themselves out. 

No, I'm just asking if you had a prospect you wanted to pursue who was Texas good. I guess you don't. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The cap wasn’t set at four. We were after Lindberg and others, we know how that worked out. There was nobody else we wanted who would make this program better even as a third string backup down the road. I agree with having the bird in hand because of OL’s dev time, but the bird is useless if it’s actually just a steaming pile of shit covered in feathers. 

Edited by Bam Bam Sam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The number was four because that was the number Texas got from the group of guys that they were serious about. They'd have taken Lindberg at any point and would've gladly taken Crawford if he had made grades, I also think they'd have taken Garrett Hayes at any point as well. You are also bypassing the idea that they grab a grad xfer/JUCO/Portal OL to top off this class, and I think they certainly will continue to vet those guys. I mean, do you think they should've upped their intensity on a fucking spare like Chibuzo? The Longhorn roster won't look like Alabama or Clemson until the entire OL/DL is made up of athletic RS JR and RS SR - with the occasional FR/SO NFL-to-be 5* sprinkled onto the 2-deep. It's getting a hell of a lot closer. In the 2 previous years the staff identified a late riser with NFL upside (frame and measurables) in Christian Jones and Isiah Hookfin. Those guys are the kind of projects that when you hit the jackpot turn into NFL talents. You have to identify the ones that are willing to put in the effort, not worry about playing in their first 3 years and buy in to keep them in the program and get every drop out of them because they are built different. There simply wasn't a guy that fit that profile last year. I agree that a bird in the hand yada yada but the reality is that there was no one on the board for 2020 (that was realistic) that gets you closer to your goal and the Longhorns have finally reached a point where they don't HAVE to take a guy just to fill out a 2-deep. It's actually proof that Texas is getting closer to Alabama and Clemson that they didn't. The only way to take big classes is to not burn scholarships on bodies that will never play --see Aggy's 2018 over-signing and the repercussions it has had with their 2020 and 2021 classes already with zero impact on the field. I expect there will be one more OL in the form of a grad xfer and that it will allow the Horns to not only take a bigger number in 2021 class but that it will cement the depth on the 2-deep in 2020. Texas doesn't have to take one, which is fucking awesome, but I expect they will. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, golfclap said:

There are two options here -- the source is either an offensive QC/Analyst (or one of Chang's guys perhaps) or more likely this is all made up wishcasted nonsense. The defensive takes are an absolute 180 from what you hear from the players. TQ is a good depth guy but Coburn is a different animal and not a single player would say otherwise. Not one. No one on the defensive side would say "probably Caden", are you fucking shitting me? Josh Thompson would never come up before Jamison - esp if players were the source. 

utter. nonsense. 

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

IT has always pumped Thompson with little to no basis for it and they were high on TQ, so I’d bet the guys who’ve been making up fake insiders for years are just throwing out their wish casting as sourced info. 

There has never been a moment in the history of the Humidor in which any of it was based on anything but Berger and Nahlin’s uninformed conjecture. I guess Wells or whomever is adding their thoughts now as well or something. It’s pure bullshit.

We could be more accurate publishing a “Moments in the Surly Outhouse” memo on a weekly basis. Just go back and read a random one from 6 months ago or something. They’re often not even close or flatly obvious, just repurposing info as psuedo expert knowledge so they can claim they called it later. It has been this way since they chose to proactively start making shit up in the early days at Recruitocosm. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There has never been a moment in the history of the Humidor in which any of it was based on anything but Berger and Nahlin’s uninformed conjecture. I guess Wells or whomever is adding their thoughts now as well or something. It’s pure bullshit.

We could be more accurate publishing a “Moments in the Surly Outhouse” memo on a weekly basis. Just go back and read a random one from 6 months ago or something. They’re often not even close or flatly obvious, just repurposing info as psuedo expert knowledge so they can claim they called it later. It has been this way since they chose to proactively start making shit up in the early days at Recruitocosm. 

You mock the integrity of the Big Cigar at your own peril, sir.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/140084-Does-Shuttlesworth-still-have-subscribers

Edited by satyanash

(Mike Roach) The State of Recruiting: Answering mailbag questions

The State of Recruiting is back for a Friday mailbag episode. Mike Roach and Nick Harris of Horns247 take their turns answering questions from the Horns247 message board. This week, we delve into a myriad of subjects on the Texas reruiting front. First, we take a look at who the most electric recruit is on the Texas board. Mike and Nick differ in their own definitions of electric, and they throw in players like Troy Stellatto, Christian Leary, JoJo Earle, and Quaydarius Davis.

One reader asks about where the confidence level stands with Landon Jackson landing at Texas. Mike is a bit more optimistic while Nick thinks the Longhorns may trail their in-state recruiting rival Texas A&M slightly. The Q&A moves off of the board and asks which prospects that don’t currently have offers would have Texas high on their list if they were offered. Mike and Nick go deep into their bags to talk about a few prospects worthy of an offer that would be very welcoming to the idea of Texas offering.

Nick and Mike then jump into Texas high school football re-alignment to weigh in on the most interesting districts in 6A and 5A and which factor carries more weight in recruiting, relationships or wins. Mike answers the question of who the next five commitments might be by laying out the current recruiting landscape and reviewing several crystal ball picks he made earlier in the week.

One reader asks which offensive linemen are looking to make early decisions. One reader proposes a crazy hypothetical about Ja’Tavion Sanders and ducks, and then they examine which prospects Texas could boost their chances with given a ten-win season. The readers then wonder if the talent disparity between three stars and five stars is really that big, or if Texas has a systematic problem with development keeping their players from reaching their ceilings and maximizing potential.

Near the end, Mike and Nick talk about recruits who were once high on Texas but seem to have faded over the last few months with the new coaching staff, and which players are the most underrated and overrated in the state of Texas.

The State of Recruiting is a Bi-weekly podcast covering the recruiting efforts of the Texas Longhorns. Mike Roach and Bobby Burton host the Wednesday edition which highlights pertinent recruiting stories and serves as more of an informative podcast. Mike Roach and Nick Harris of Horns247 host the Friday edition which serves as a more interactive Q&A session where readers on the Hons247 message board can submit their questions.

The State of Recruiting is available on all major podcast platforms including iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Google Play. If you enjoy this podcast, please subscribe rate and review on the podcast platform of your choice.

https://player.fm/series/2537660/254810670

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

10:48p, 2/28/20 

Staff

Port Arthur Memorial DE Jordon Thomas mentioned on social media earlier today that he believes he's getting close to making a decision regarding his future. In the post, it showed him in both an A&M and a Texas jersey. 

My sources in the Golden Triangle indicated to me that before Thomas would make a decision, he has two scheduled visits to Texas A&M coming up this spring. I'm betting one of those will be an official. Intel I was given indicated Thomas had been in talks with A&M staffers as recently as today, and I've been told Terry Price, Mike Elko, and Elijah Robinson have done a fantastic job of recruiting JT up to this point. Thomas actually lives in Port Acres, a small, country community right next to Port Arthur. I think that the laid back style of living there has given College Station a bit of a draw. 

He was in Austin in January, but I am have not been told if he'll make it back to Texas before making his decision. LSU continues to be a contender, but I heard today it was beginning to sound less likely that the Tigers would be the spot unless something changes pretty quickly. 

That's not the usual sunshine pumping/feeling good about a recruit that texags usually puts out.

If memory serves me, Texas did get Steve Worster, Shane Dronett, Earl Thomas, Roshon Johnson and Todd Dodge from the Golden Triangle area.  I don't remember any specific Texas player from Port Acres or Groves, but several from the area.  It seems like there would be more aggys in Evadale, Buna and Vidor.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sure you have me on ignore at this point by disagreeing with your fuck boy, but things actually shit the bed for Jesus after recruitocosm.   

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

6 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I’m sure you have me on ignore at this point by disagreeing with your fuck boy, but things actually shit the bed for Jesus after recruitocosm.   

If he has you on ignore it’s because you’re prone to absurd, illogical histrionics. But you think he put someone on ignore who disagrees with me? It’d be an empty board, and he would be removing shit he finds highly amusing.

By the way, you realize you’re lecturing the person who made the first ever post on the Recruitocosm website about when Jesus Shuttlesworth went downhill, right? 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If he has you on ignore it’s because you’re prone to absurd, illogical histrionics. But you think he put someone on ignore who disagrees with me? It’d be an empty board, and he would be removing shit he finds highly amusing.

By the way, you realize you’re lecturing the person who made the first ever post on the Recruitocosm website about when Jesus Shuttlesworth went downhill, right? 

That’s a weird thing to pull out of your ass when you’re citing histrionics fuck boy.

Jesus was nails when Mack was around. Why the fuck do you think they bought out his “blog”?  You’re out of your depth again.

31 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If memory serves me, Texas did get Steve Worster, Shane Dronett, Earl Thomas, Roshon Johnson and Todd Dodge from the Golden Triangle area.  I don't remember any specific Texas player from Port Acres or Groves, but several from the area.  It seems like there would be more aggys in Evadale, Buna and Vidor.

Jamaal Charles is from Port Arthur.

I am from SE Texas.  I went to high school with Butch Hadnot. I told him every day "you have to go to Texas".  There was an unbelievable amount of pressure on him to go to aggy.  Most people didn't go to aggy but they were / are aggy fans.  He even had people trying to get him to go to UH instead of Texas.  I like to think that I helped persuade him to end up in Austin.  </csb?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I am from SE Texas.  I went to high school with Butch Hadnot. I told him every day "you have to go to Texas".  There was an unbelievable amount of pressure on him to go to aggy.  Most people didn't go to aggy but they were / are aggy fans.  He even had people trying to get him to go to UH instead of Texas.  I like to think that I helped persuade him to end up in Austin.  </csb?

Newton has Texas studs with Anthony Byerly and Jimmy Walker and Kirbyville has Butch Hadnot.  Texas had a big miss with Ernest Bean to aggy.   Mark Henry from Silsbee is big for Texas recruiting in the Golden Triangle.  

11 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

That’s a weird thing to pull out of your ass when you’re citing histrionics fuck boy.

Jesus was nails when Mack was around. Why the fuck do you think they bought out his “blog”?  You’re out of your depth again.

Lol. Your second paragraph shows how little you know about anything related to web, or business sales in general. Shocking from a guy who thinks Geoff Ketchum cant have money because he lives in Cedar Park. 

It wasn’t “his” blog, by the way. It was the property of quite a few folks, none of which were “him” and was purchased for web traffic and other reasons in what was essentially a fire sale that paid little if any to the content creators. Because, you know, I actually know  some of those guys and wrote for Barking Carnival myself. But tell me more how out of my depth I am. It’s going to age really well. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Never heard of you. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Your second paragraph shows how little you know about anything related to web, or business sales in general. Shocking from a guy who thinks Geoff Ketchum cant have money because he lives in Cedar Park. 

It wasn’t “his” blog, by the way. It was the property of quite a few folks, none of which were “him” and was purchased for web traffic and other reasons in what was essentially a fire sale that paid little if any to the content creators. Because, you know, I actually know  some of those guys and wrote for Barking Carnival myself. But tell me more how out of my depth I am. It’s going to age really well. 

You’re doing your same nonsensical shit again.  You glazed over the point to land on the “how cooool am I!” stuff.

Jesus actually had good info before that “blog” went to shit.   Congrats on knowing people that own websites?

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

You’re doing your same nonsensical shit again.  You glazed over the point to land on the “how cooool am I!” stuff.

Jesus actually had good info before that “blog” went to shit.   Congrats on knowing people that own websites?

Oh, it’s not “how cool I am.” It’s simply “I know more than you, which is a really low bar, but a bar nonetheless.” Please, tell us more about how much you know compared to other people who were involved to varying degrees. Jesus you are fucking dumb. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, it’s not “how cool I am.” It’s simply “I know more than you, which is a really low bar, but a bar nonetheless.” Please, tell us more about how much you know compared to other people who were involved to varying degrees. Jesus you are fucking dumb. 

And there you go again.  You’re a coat-tail riding pheasant.  You don’t have original thoughts.  I pointed out the obvious and you pointed to singularity. “I did, I did” it’s actually kind of shameful how much you need to leave the teet for once.

14 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

And there you go again.  You’re a coat-tail riding pheasant.  You don’t have original thoughts.  I pointed out the obvious and you pointed to singularity. “I did, I did” it’s actually kind of shameful how much you need to leave the teet for once.

I don’t know what the fuck is going on here for the most part,  but you should know when to push away when you can. There was never a time when that site knew it’s shit. Sydney and I, plus plenty of others, know exactly what went on there. As he said, I wrote the first fucking story for the site. You don’t know what in the fuck you’re typing about. They were never connected. Ever. Sydney is friends with Nahlin  to this day and they both know there isn’t a connection on the coaching or administrative side. None. 

I don’t have you on ignore because I think you’re a normally entertaining poster. I don’t give one shit if you don’t get along with Sydney. Never noticed it. Pull yourself together.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know what the fuck is going on here for the most part,  but you should know when to push away when you can. There was never a time when that site knew it’s shit. Sydney and I, plus plenty of others, know exactly what went on there. As he said, I wrote the first fucking story for the site. You don’t know what in the fuck you’re typing about. They were never connected. Ever. Sydney is friends with Nahlin  to this day and they both know there isn’t a connection on the coaching or administrative side. None. 

I don’t have you on ignore because I think you’re a normally entertaining poster. I don’t give one shit if you don’t get along with Sydney. Never noticed it. Pull yourself together.

source.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Honestly, I appreciate your candor.  I’ve also been rolling around since that site was around.  I’m not sure the weird veiled threat is justified, but you do you. 

I was the dude that posted the 4 page article on economics if anyone actually wants to dig it out.  

if the site didn’t know it’s shit, fine.  Cool.  I’m glad someone got paid in the deal.  That’s actually fucking awesome if it’s the way you described.  I don’t give two shits if he’s friends with Nahlin.  If anything I’d expect better of that clown.  Both of them.

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Newy coming in and telling us he was right in retrospect 9 months before NSD is exactly the kind of quality content we all needed on this fine Saturday. 

When Fud came here with the predictable news that we do not lead anymore for all of the chicks we counted before they hatched after a several page discussion last summer on our OL numbers it sparked a memory. I also just heard Darth Roach say Byrd is not feeling Texas anymore, either. I hope he is wrong and I hope us offering guys in AZ is not an indication of how things are trending with the big in state targets. 

And besides, it’s the fucking offseason combined with a dead period so what do you expect to be reading? Our best hope now is to find out Hamm just got nabbed in a child porn ring because nothing good football wise can be happening.