Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

We are going to need near aggy level of attrition to take a full boat in 2021.

Texas needs to sign a full class. 1 QB, 2 RB’s, 3-4 WR’s, 4-5 OL, 1 TE, 4-5 DL, 2-3 LB’s and 4-5 DB’s every year. Until we look like Alabama or Clemson, this needs to be our goal. We should encourage roster churn until we have this mf’er finally fixed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My guess is that we'll see Texas take either a full class in the 2021 cycle or right near a full class with 1-2 spots for transfers. They'll lose some guys to the NFL. There's already some injury-related attrition to factor in between Floyd, Brown, and Cummins. I think they've got, what? 14-15 guys set to graduate? Mix in 2 early NFL guys, the open spots of 2-4, the 3 med retirements, and then normal attrition of 3-5 guys moving on and you're easily able to take a full class. Hopefully one of the dorks that track this stuff less fast and loose than I do can fill in here. 18 months to go before the roster count matters, also.

Mpagi's scholarship will also be freed up.

9 minutes ago, someguy said:

I'm sorry, has there been something definitive posted elsewhere that I haven't seen regarding Mpagi's heart issues? Because I didn't realize he was a medical candidate at this time, I thought it was still Wait And See mode?

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

We are going to need near aggy level of attrition to take a full boat in 2021.

Should be able to take a full class rather easily in 2021, pending transfers, late juco adds, and PWOs being knighted to scholarship players 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Should be able to take a full class rather easily in 2021, pending transfers, late juco adds, and PWOs being knighted to scholarship players 

This. HtownHorn claims there won’t be room for Texas, A&M and pretty much every other school where he comments on their scholarship distribution, yet all those schools consistently find ways to take full classes. UT’s 2021 class won’t be any different. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The IT post on the RB positions feels pretty accurate to me. LJ Johnson might be fucked for good, and Camar Wheaton probably isn't a realistic option for Texas, that is just going to be a really queer recruitment start to finish. 

So the staff better start casting the net for RB wide as fuck, and more than just the 5 star Henderson kid that seems to have a not passing interest. Fortunately, Stan Drayton can be counted on to log the miles. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This. HtownHorn claims there won’t be room for Texas, A&M and pretty much every other school where he comments on their scholarship distribution, yet all those schools consistently find ways to take full classes. UT’s 2021 class won’t be any different. 

Yes. The only thing that fucks up Texas's ability to take a full class is Tom Herman. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

13 seniors + 1 open spot heading into the season. I guess a big group of juniors could declare from the 2018 class should Texas have a big season. Ingram, Eagles, Cosmi, Ossai, Overshown, Cook, Jamison, Green, Sterns, and Foster. That would get us into the numbers we need.

With 8 EEs in 2020 class, 2021 could push 30 if a big portion of the 2018 class leaves.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

13 seniors + 1 open spot heading into the season. I guess a big group of juniors could declare from the 2018 class should Texas have a big season. Ingram, Eagles, Cosmi, Ossai, Overshown, Cook, Jamison, Green, Sterns, and Foster. That would get us into the numbers we need.

With 8 EEs in 2020 class, 2021 could push 30 if a big portion of the 2018 class leaves.

I don’t think half those people leave. I also don’t think that stops us from taking a large class.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Thing is, we just have to be at 85 or under at the start of fall camp in 2021. That's about seventeen months away. Herman shouldn't be worried about numbers at all for 2021, barring a bunch of incoming transfers or late JUCO adds. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hopefully one of the dorks that track this stuff less fast and loose than I do can fill in here. 18 months to go before the roster count matters, also.

19 with normal attrition, but that's really closer to a floor than a cap.  I'm not counting the few potential medicals except as part of the "normal attrition."

Can anyone in the know provide a little more on Wheaton other than his recruitment is going to be “interesting”? Is he on the take? Is he enamored with the SEC? Is it grades? Is he a dive like Evans? Does he have an uncle that doesn’t like Texas or likes things that Texas doesnt do? Why are we counting him out?

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Can anyone in the know provide a little more on Wheaton other than his recruitment is going to be “interesting”? Is he on the take? Is he enamored with the SEC? Is it grades? Is he a dive like Evans? Does he have an uncle that doesn’t like Texas or likes things that Texas doesnt do? Why are we counting him out?

He has a handler, IIRC.

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

is there any new info here? i certainly may have missed it

Not that has been relayed here

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

And what's the deal with Kennedy Lewis?  Grades?

Yes

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

And what’s the deal with Ovaltine? The jar is round. The glass is round. They should call it Roundtine.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Crystal ball pick for Robertson to Mississippi State.  Visited yesterday.

i mean, if you have the option to be in a 1 QB class vs a 2 QB class that seems like a pretty easy decision - even if you are excluding Leach from the equation

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, if you have the option to be in a 1 QB class vs a 2 QB class that seems like a pretty easy decision - even if you are excluding Leach from the equation

Yeah, I think Robertson is just too good to be willing to be a QB2. He’s going to get bugger offers as higher rates targets commit, too. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I think Robertson is just too good to be willing to be a QB2. He’s going to get bugger offers as higher rates targets commit, too. 

I would love to steal Robertson as a QB2 take, but I also want to see Leach make fuck on the SEC. I'll gladly concede a QB2 to the pirate if it results in exposing SEC defenses.

Mukuba and East Coast targets updates: 

@golfclap will like this:

***Interestingly, Texas wasn’t actually recruiting Henderson until Boulware was hired. Boulware had been recruiting Henderson at Oklahoma and when he got to Texas, he reached out to Henderson and introduced Tre to coach Drayton.

Edited by texifornia

On 2/21/2020 at 9:17 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So did IT:  April 3-5: Alabama,   May 8-10: LSU,
June 2-4: Auburn, June 12-14: Texas,  June 19-2: Alabama.  (Alabama twice because of the twins.). I also expect the twins to make it to Baton Rouge for Texas vs LSU.

Blake Brockermeyer will be allowed to make each visit. Sonny Dykes seems like a swell guy to work for.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Mukuba and East Coast targets updates: 

@golfclap will like this:

You missed the full quote. This is what the donor side update says:

***Interestingly, Texas wasn’t actually recruiting Henderson until Boulware was hired. Boulware had been recruiting Henderson at Oklahoma and when he got to Texas, he reached out to Henderson and introduced Tre to coach Drayton because it turns out Drayton wasn’t actually recruiting anyone besides some unheralded 3 star he could land without leaving the confines of his own home. Our sources tell us Drayton’s plan for the cycle before Boulware connected him to Henderson was to rest on his laurels and skip that whole recruiting thing for a couple years. Our sources also tell us that when Drayton stops by to pick up his monthly paycheck of almost $50,000 Herman and others in Belmont ask him why he won’t get off his ass and go recruit a real running back, Drayton simply replies with a one word response, “Bijan” and then scurries back to his office so as to not miss too much of the MASH episode he’s currently watching his office. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, someguy said:

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sorry, has there been something definitive posted elsewhere that I haven't seen regarding Mpagi's heart issues? Because I didn't realize he was a medical candidate at this time, I thought it was still Wait And See mode?

If you can't trust someguy on a message board then who can you trust?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You missed the full quote. This is what the donor side update says:

***Interestingly, Texas wasn’t actually recruiting Henderson until Boulware was hired. Boulware had been recruiting Henderson at Oklahoma and when he got to Texas, he reached out to Henderson and introduced Tre to coach Drayton because it turns out Drayton wasn’t actually recruiting anyone besides some unheralded 3 star he could land without leaving the confines of his own home. Our sources tell us Drayton’s plan for the cycle before Boulware connected him to Henderson was to rest on his laurels and skip that whole recruiting thing for a couple years. Our sources also tell us that when Drayton stops by to pick up his monthly paycheck of almost $50,000 Herman and others in Belmont ask him why he won’t get off his ass and go recruit a real running back, Drayton simply replies with a one word response, “Bijan” and then scurries back to his office so as to not miss too much of the MASH episode he’s currently watching his office. 

Edit: It sounded made up because it was. Sadly, the line between 9.95 fiction and satire is getting blurred to me. 

Edited by Newy25