Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

32 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Or maybe they should come to Texas and help the program win the Big12 championship and then go from there..

That would be nice, but if Herman shits the bed, and by that I mean wins 8 or less games next year, regardless of whether he stays or gets fired, it would be pretty ridiculous to expect them to come here/be upset they go elsewhere, UT legacies or not.

They don’t owe it to UT to come to school here in spite of a mountain of evidence that they won’t be fully developed or get to compete at the highest level. Herman needs to prove that they’ll get those opportunities at UT by winning in 2020. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That would be nice, but if Herman shits the bed, and by that I mean wins 8 or less games next year, regardless of whether he stays or gets fired, it would be pretty ridiculous to expect them to come here/be upset they go elsewhere, UT legacies or not.

They don’t owe it to UT to come to school here in spite of a mountain of evidence that they won’t be fully developed or get to compete at the highest level. Herman needs to prove that they’ll get those opportunities at UT by winning in 2020. 

If Herman can't win the Big12 next year,  I don't think it will happen for him.  Can he still win 8-10 games on average?  Yes but he will be more Mack Brown without Vince Young than Nick Saban at Bama.

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Honestly I think it's BIGXII or bust for big Herm. If you can't get it done with one of the best QB's we've had in a decade, who is a senior, and a ton of returning talent you don't deserve to come back 

22 hours ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, that interview doesn’t give me much hope. It was Clemson until they made it clear they weren’t offering James.  Now it’s Bama.  They are looking. For every reason not to come to Texas.  Read the dads comments about Texas not being the same when he was in a recruit and in school.  It’s pretty clear he’s pushing them to go to Bama.

Yeah Texas was pretty shitty when he was in school

17 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

...You have to be a serious fuckup to not succeed in your own particular Gen Z way if you go there.   (Or, there has to be a global pandemic that erases prospects for everyone)

In keeping with the pedantic nature of this thread...

What other kind of pandemic is there?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Everyone keeps talking about wait til momma Brockermeyer has her say. Is that based off of anything other than the assumption that mom wants her kids closer?

This waiting on her - does she not express her opinion currently?  Why would she wait until late in the process?  That seems strange.

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is it that time of the year already? Aggy gets a Louisiana kid to commit because LSU/Bama won’t take his commitment right now. Can’t wait for the inevitable fall switch. 

The best part will be the Looch article/tweet about Jimbo going in and taking a high rated player from the defending champs own back yard and from Saban.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Our current 2021 RB1 board is something like 1)Wheaton/Henderson 2)LJ Johnson. Although not yet formal, Brooks feels penciled into the RB2 slot. It's unfortunate that to this point, we have missed on BC.

We don't currently lead for anyone on the RB1 board. Wheaton may be leaning OU with an SMU dark horse. CBs are flying in for Henderson to tOSU (even though he's never visited there), and LJ Johnson is an LSU legacy entertaining $EC offers. 

We would be fine if we only took 1 because we'll only lose 1 next year unless Keontay declares (doubtful). The problem kicks in if that 1 take is Jonathan Brooks, a guy Nahlin likened to Kirk Johnson but "less explosive". 

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Our current 2021 RB1 board is something like 1)Wheaton/Henderson 2)LJ Johnson. Although not yet formal, Brooks feels penciled into the RB2 slot. It's unfortunate that to this point, we have missed on BC.

We don't currently lead for anyone on the RB1 board. Wheaton may be leaning OU with an SMU dark horse. CBs are flying in for Henderson to tOSU (even though he's never visited there), and LJ Johnson is an LSU legacy entertaining $EC offers. 

We would be fine if we only took 1 because we'll only lose 1 next year unless Keontay declares (doubtful). The problem kicks in if that 1 take is Jonathan Brooks, a guy Nahlin likened to Kirk Johnson but "less explosive". 

BC's been this class' clear "he's talented but........" kid. Based on 995er innuendo (bleh) there's something going on there that the staff hasn't wanted to mess with. And he's already transferred schools twice I believe.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:18 PM, 2300 Nueces said:

If Herman can't win the Big12 next year,  I don't think it will happen for him.  Can he still win 8-10 games on average?  Yes but he will be more Mack Brown without Vince Young than Nick Saban at Bama.

Brown without VY was still better than pretty much every other period in our history other than DKR late 60s-early 70s. Herman isn’t sniffing that.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Brown without VY was still better than pretty much every other period in our history other than DKR late 60s-early 70s. Herman isn’t sniffing that.

He literally sniffed it (10-win season, NY6 bowl win) the season before last (and beat OU doing it). Now can he attain the sustained success to actually get to a Mack level? We will see.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He literally sniffed it (10-win season, NY6 bowl win) the season before last (and beat OU doing it). Now can he attain the sustained success to actually get to a Mack level? We will see.

Mack's tenure at Texas shouldn't be the measure of success and anyone chasing Mack's ghost is doomed to fail before they start. Two conference championships in however many years is not the standard. Mack had some really good seasons and managed to expand the brand as a great recruiter and gladhander. He also managed to dig a decade sized hole that the program is yet to find itself clear of. 

Consecutive 10-win seasons are great, but if 4 of those 9 seasons culminate with the Holiday or Alamo bowl, what have you really accomplished? Not to mention that the 10 win streak was bookended by 2 more Holiday bowls, 2 more Alamo bowls, and a Cotton bowl. 

Herman won't get there, but I think he's a good bridge to the next guy. Tom's not actively burning the program to the ground like Mack did. It's also unlikely that Herman could thwart the hire of his replacement. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did he say there’s a long way to go and we will keep in contact and try to get him on campus again and never count our staff out?  Or is that only for jimbo’s staff?

Brian Perroni: National top-100 RB L.J. Johnson has a top group, A&M in good shape

Houston Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson had a big junior campaign for the Bobcats. The national top-100 prospect ran for 1,951 yards and 37 touchdowns while averaging close to 10 yards per carry. Now, Johnson is looking forward to a big senior season. However, at the moment, football is on hold as the spread of the coronavirus has shut things down. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound junior is still putting in work, though. "I actually just came back from a workout," the nation's No. 51 overall prospect said on Tuesday afternoon.

"I've been working with my trainer and my track coaches. But, for school, they've just been having us do pushups and then, in your backyard or a field, doing sprints and stuff like that. It's basically just do what you can with what you have." Though the NCAA mandated a dead period at the moment due to the virus, Johnson has remained in contact with a number of college coaches. "I've been talking to several schools a lot," he said. "I've been talking to A&M pretty much daily. Also Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, Stanford - those are the main schools I've been talking to."

Texas A&M recently hired a new running backs coach in Tommie Robinson. He was previously at LSU and already has a rapport with Johnson. "I've talked to him several times," Johnson said of Robinson. "I've talked to coach Robinson and I also talked to Jimbo a couple days ago. They're just saying that I'm on top of their board and they need me in this class. I know they're taking two running backs but they're just saying that since the running back depth is so short, they need me to come in."

Once the recruiting dead period is over, Johnson has one unofficial visit he plans to take to an SEC school. "Not officials. But the first school I want to hit when everything comes back is Georgia," he said. "I've never been out there, so I want to see it. I talk to coach (Dell) McGee pretty much mostly and he talks about how they're going to take two backs, how they'll use me and just what the program can do; how many backs they put in the league and stuff like that. They do a good job developing backs."

Though he has not scheduled his official visits yet, Johnson has a good idea as to where several of them will be to. "Definitely I feel like A&M, Georgia and Oklahoma," he said as to schools that will receive official visits. "I feel like those three for sure, and proboably LSU, but I don't know about that fifth one yet." With those programs being mentioned as far as officials, the question then becomes if those are his top programs as well. Though things can change, Johnson says that is the case. "Either A&M, Georgia and Oklahoma or A&M, Georgia and LSU would be my top three right now," he said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni says we aren't in the top group for LJ Johnson.

I told you guys that like a month and a half ago. Georgia led at that time, but it was mostly SEC schools. It sounds like they still leave.

I've gotten the impression that this is not a clean recruitment. But that's not confirmed. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I told you guys that like a month and a half ago. Georgia led at that time, but it was mostly SEC schools. It sounds like they still leave.

I've gotten the impression that this is not a clean recruitment. But that's not confirmed. 

He's going to LSU if they want him and go after him. His dad is an LSU legacy and he was born in LA. How many times does that play out where the kid doesn't end up at LSU? If UGA and LSU both pass, I guess he could end up at aggy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  but I would bet some other SEC suitor comes in and gets him (Florida, Alabama). 

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sounds like we'll be scrambling at RB this year.  Unless Valai takes full control of the Wheaton recruitment.

Yeah we need a recruitment that's fuzzy in a way we can deal with, or one of Drayton's OOS Hail Marys to actually work like Bijan (though Boulware having to tell ole Stan that Treveyon Henderson exists and is a great character fit is not exactly encouraging)

Edited by texifornia

Mike Roach: Looking back at the Top 10 all-time Texas recruits

Looking back is a common theme during the COVID-19 crisis. With very little fresh news happening, we thought this would be a good time to take advantage of the power of the 247Sports database. One of the most interesting features in the database is the list of all-time recruits in any school’s history. While most of these recruits came before the advent of 247Sports and the Top247, the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rating will carry the most weight right now.

Rankings are often cussed and discussed in retrospect, and each of these players has more than enough resume to judge how correct the rating was. How highly thought of were they in high school? How did they perform? Where are they now? Horns247 answers all that and more.

Editor’s note: Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei athlete Bru McCoy is actually listed as the No. 10 all-time recruit, but his brief stint with the Longhorns caused us to move on to Mike Davis as the No. 10 all-time recruit.

No. 10 Mike Davis, WR, Dallas Skyline | Class: 2010 | Rating: .9940 | Ranking: No. 13 nationally, No. 2 wide receiver, No. 2 prospect in Texas

Bio: Davis played 49 games over the course of his four-year college career. His junior season was his biggest as Davis clocked 939 yards and seven touchdowns in 13 games during the 2012 season. Davis wrapped up his career with 200 catches, 2,753 yards and 18 touchdowns. He finished his career ranked in the Top 5 in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns in program history. Davis was not drafted and ended up signing with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent. Davis never caught on in the NFL and had stints with the Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes of the CFL. Davis currently resides in the Lake Travis area and does work as a skills trainer and 7v7 coach for the Lake Travis program.

No. 9 Malcom Brown, DT, Brenham | Class: 2012 | Rating: 99.44 | Ranking: No. 9 nationally, No. 2 defensive tackle, No. 3 prospect in Texas

Bio: Brown lived up to his billing over his three-year career in Austin. A two-year starter, Brown was named a finalist for the Outland Trophy and Nagurski Trophy. He earned All-American honors from multiple publications in 2014 including several consensus first team selections. Brown played in 39 games and started 26 as he finished his career with 147 tackles and 8.5 sacks, including 6.5 sacks in 2014. Brown was selected in the first round (No. 32 overall) of the NFL draft by the New England Patriots in 2015. He went on to win two Super Bowls with the Patriots and signed with the Saints prior to the 2019 season.

No. 8 Tray Allen, OG, South Grand Prairie | Class: 2007 | Rating: .9948 | Ranking: No. 11 nationally, No. 1 OG, No. 3 prospect in Texas

Bio: An Army All-American, Allen was one of the crown jewels of the 2007 Texas class. Allen played in 44 games at the tackle and guard position during his time at Texas, and he recorded six starts at left tackle as a senior in 2011. Allen never quite caught on during his college career, but he graduated from Texas with a degree in physical culture and sports and youth and community studies. After a short stint in the arena league, Allen bounced around the state as a high school football coach. He’s currently the offensive line coach at South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas.

No. 7 Jordan Hicks, LB, West Chester (OH.) Lakota West | Class: 2010 | Rating: .9962 | Ranking: No. 7 nationally, No. 1 outside linebacker, No. 1 prospect in Ohio

Bio: Hicks committed to Texas along with Jackson Jeffcoat on the infamous five-star Friday. A three-year starter, Hicks had a productive career in Austin playing in 45 career games with 28 starts and 12 double-digit tackle games. Hicks suffered injuries in 2012 and 2013 which earned him a medical redshirt. In 2014, Hicks earned second team All-American honors and found his way onto the single season Top 10 for tackles in program history with 147. Hicks finished his career with 248 total tackles, 5.5 sacks, two interceptions and a fumble recovery. Hicks played in the Senior Bowl and was selected in the third round (No. 84 overall) by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2015 NFL draft. He won a championship with the Eagles in 2018, but he missed out on playing in the Super Bowl following a season-ending Achilles injury in 2017. Hicks signed a four-year contract worth $36 million in 2019 with the Arizona Cardinals.

No. 6 Rodrique Wright, DT, Alief Hastings | Class: 2002 | Rating: .9970 | Ranking: No. 6 nationally, No. 1 DT, No. 2 prospect in Texas

Bio; Wright was part of the landmark Texas class the Longhorns landed in 2002. Wright saw action from the moment he stepped on campus and started several games during his freshman season. Wright went on to become a full-time starter for the next three seasons and earned several All-Big 12 honors. Wright was a key cog in the defense that helped win Texas a national championship his senior year. He was named a first-team All-American by multiple publications and was a finalist for the Lombardi Award. Wright was selected in the seventh round (No. 226 overall) by the Miami Dolphins in the 2006 draft. Wright played for three years before a short stint with the New York Jets. After signing with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL and Dallas Vigilantes of the Arena Football League, Wright retired and entered the coaching profession. Wright served as an assistant at Sam Houston State and East Carolina. He’s now the defensive line coach under Jeff Traylor at UT-San Antonio.

No. 5 Johnathan Gray, RB, Aledo | Class: 2012 | Rating: .9973 | Ranking: No. 6 nationally, No. 1 RB, No. 2 prospect in Texas

Bio: Gray came out of Aledo with the reputation as one of the top Texas high school football players of all time. After helping to establish Aledo as a dynasty, Gray’s arrival at Texas was met with incredible anticipation. Gray played in 46 career games with 23 starts. Gray battled injuries throughout his career and finished with 2,610 yards and 17 touchdowns. Despite a disappointing career considering the hype, Gray finished No. 12 on the UT all-time rushing list and posted six career 100-yard rushing games. Gray tore his Achilles tendon near the end of his college career and never caught on with an NFL club. Gray told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 2019 that he was investing his time in a sports performance training business.

No. 4 B.J. Johnson, WR, South Grand Prairie | Class: 2000 | Rating: .9976 | Ranking: No. 7 nationally, No. 2 WR, No. 1 prospect in Texas

Bio: B.J. Johnson had a ballyhooed high school career at South Grand Prairie before signing with the Longhorns along with Roy Williams and Sloan Thomas. A four-year starter at Texas, Johnson ended his career with 152 receptions, 2,389 yards and 16 touchdowns. Johnson’s performance was good enough to land him in the Top 10 in all-time receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns at UT. Johnson suffered a tibia injury that plagued his draft prospects. He eventually caught on with the Denver Broncos for a short stint. After football, Johnson got into multiple business off the field. He is co-owner at a management and consulting company, and he also launched a vodka brand with his teammate Roy Williams. Johnson’s son Keylan Johnson was a three-star receiver in the 2020 class and ended up signing with Tarleton State.

No. 3 Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Plano West | Class: 2010 | Rating: .9976 | Ranking: No. 5 nationally, No. 1 strong-side defensive end, No. 1 prospect in Texas

Bio: Jeffcoat joined Jordan Hicks in picking Texas on five-star Friday, and the Longhorns won him over a in a heated contest against Oklahoma. A former U.S. Army All-American, Jeffcoat appeared in 27 games with 20 starts throughout his career. Jeffcoat battled injuries throughout his career, but he was still able to have a productive college career. His 27.5 sacks were good enough to land him in the Top 10 all-time at UT, and he was named a consensus All-American in his final season. Jeffcoat also won the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end. Despite favorable pre-draft rankings, Jeffcoat went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. He went on to sign with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent. Jeffcoat spent time with the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns before moving on to a career in the CFL. Jeffcoat played a role with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and helped them to win a Grey Cup in 2019.

No. 2 Sergio Kindle, LB, Woodrow Wilson | Class: 2006 | Rating: .9981 | Ranking: No. 4 nationally, No. 1 inside linebacker, No. 1 prospect in Texas

Bio: A two-way star at Woodrow Wilson, Kindle came to Austin with huge expectations. He appeared in 46 career games and started 25 at linebacker and defensive end during his four-year career. Kindle proved to be one of the best pass rushers in the country during his junior season. In 2008, Kindle recorded 45 tackles and 10 sacks along with 12.5 tackles for loss. Kindle was part of a defense that won the Big 12 and reached the national title game in 2009. He was the first ever player to be named a finalist for the Butkus and Hendricks Awards. Kindle was named a first team All-American, and he collected several All-Big 12 awards. Kindle was selected in the second round (No. 43 overall) of the NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens in 2010. His NFL career never really got going as Kindle suffered head trauma and a fractured skull during the summer before his rookie season. Kindle saw limited action over the next two years and mostly spent time on the practice squad. As of 2016, Kindle was serving as an automobile salesman in Austin.

No. 1 Vince Young, QB, Houston Madison | Class: 2002 | Rating: 1.0000 | Ranking: No. 1 nationally, No. 1 dual-threat quarterback, No. 1 prospect in Texas

Bio: It’s fitting that Vince Young is rated as the highest all-time recruit ever. A Texas legend that many would argue is the greatest to ever wear the uniform, Young came spearheaded an insanely talented 2002 class. Young’s dynamic athleticism was on display from the moment he stepped on campus. Young struggled as a passer for the first year and a half on campus, but once the switch flipped, Young was the deadliest weapon in college football. He finished his career with 6,040 yards and 44 touchdowns passing. He added 3,127 yards and 37 touchdowns on the ground. Young led Texas to a Rose Bowl win over Michigan during the 2004 season and he returned to Pasadena to capture a national title for Texas against USC a year later.

A Heisman Trophy finalist, Maxwell Award winner, Manning Award winner, Davey O’Brien Award winner and consensus All-American, Young ended his career as one of the most decorated players in program history. He’s currently Top 10 all-time in program history in career passing yards, single season passing yards, career and single season passing touchdowns, career and single game rushing yards and career/single season rushing touchdowns. Young left college following his junior season and was drafted in the first round (No. 3) overall by the Tennessee Titans. Young was named Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2006 and NFL Comeback Player of the Year in 2009. A two-time Pro Bowl selection, Young’s NFL career fizzled after stints with the Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns. Young retired after a short time in the CFL with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. He took a fundraising job with the university of Texas but fired in 2019 following poor performances and absences. Young was also charged with DWI on two separate occasions.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2020 at 2:33 PM, texifornia said:

Yeah I’m talking about sustaining it not his one off Mackovic year

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah we need a recruitment that's fuzzy in a way we can deal with, or one of Drayton's OOS Hail Marys to actually work like Bijan (though Boulware having to tell ole Stan that Treveyon Henderson exists and is a great character fit is not exactly encouraging)

All Drayton needs is a 5 star whose parents are married, living under the same roof, preferably country and praise the pope. Any of those out there this year? If not we can turn another WR or QB into our take and claim that was our plan all along.