Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No oos options will be a problem for us at db. No relationships built with 2nd tier options in state which means we must land the top of our board. If we don’t, it will look like wr in 2020. Chasing projects at the last minute.

Means the staff has to do what it can to get atleast one of Ibraheem or Washington in this class.  2022 class is stacked with DBs, but we need atleast one of those players for 2021 .

IT Humidor - recruiting bit (Wells/Nahlin)

Spoiler

While we expect the staff to continue making out-of-state overtures in recruiting, there’s a common belief that it will be tough to get players to leave far from home.

Personally, I think it’s a little too early to buy into that, but they have to get as many out-of-state targets on campus as possible whenever allowed to have a chance.

The good news is the staff was able to gain footing or cement it’s place with a number of instate priorities before the virus hit the fan.

Instate guys we feel confident calling priorities are:

QBs Sawyer Robertson and Garrett Nussmeier
RB Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson
WR JoJo Earle
TE Elijah Arroyo and Landen King
OL Team Brockermeyer and Bryce Foster
DL Landon Jackson, Shemar Turner, Jordon Thomas, Clayton Smith
LB Terrence Cooks
DB Ishmael Ibraheem, Andrew Mukuba

This isn’t an official list and it isn’t to say they don’t want other prospects.

We do think emphasis will be placed a little more on instate prospects.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hide contents

While we expect the staff to continue making out-of-state overtures in recruiting, there’s a common belief that it will be tough to get players to leave far from home.

Personally, I think it’s a little too early to buy into that, but they have to get as many out-of-state targets on campus as possible whenever allowed to have a chance.

The good news is the staff was able to gain footing or cement it’s place with a number of instate priorities before the virus hit the fan.

WR JoJo Earle
LB Terrence Cooks

This isn’t an official list and it isn’t to say they don’t want other prospects.

wow what an update, IT!!  

I would like to Bash it but hell man I need any info, even if it's a no shit update, thanks for posting this Ricky.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yes - He might have been born in San Antonio. His mom is from there and her side of the family is still there. 

based on Suchomel's last podcast, he's always liked Texas but didn't know that they recruited out of state... that said I believe he has CBs to Bama.

44 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hide contents

WR JoJo Earle
LB Terrence Cooks

Glad to see Clayton Smith is a priority.  I'd also hope Blackwell, Nwokabio, Byrd, Washington, Knox, are being prioritized.  Also Burris as well.

247 / Steve Wiltfong / Five programs left standing for Top247 DE Tunmise Adeleye

Spoiler

Five programs left standing for Top247 DE Tunmise Adeleye
STEVE WILTFONG

Six were standing, now it’s five for Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy Top247 defensive end Tunmise Adeleye, as the Houston-area produce has eliminated LSU from consideration as his focus narrows to Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Adeleye visited the Gators on March 7 and had plans to return to the other four later in the spring but ramifications from the Coronavirus canceled those plans. He’s still had daily dialogue with these schools including FaceTime conversations with Nick Saban and Lincoln Riley over the last two days.

“With me personally I want to get this recruiting thing over sooner rather than later,” Adeleye said. “That’s why this spring period was so crucial.

“I just pray this Coronavirus stuff is over as soon as possible so I can get back on the road, me and my family and figure it out. I feel my family will be an instrumental piece to this. My mom and dad were instrumental in getting it to these five schools in the first place. They’ll continue to be with me and we’ll go from there. I’m confident with their guidance I’ll find the school.”

Tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 3 strong-side defensive end and No. 43 prospect overall, the 6-foot-3, 240-pound Adeleye talked about what he likes about the five still standing.

“It’s neck and neck with these five schools,” he started in. “I can see myself at any one of these schools.”

Alabama: “I’d say my favorite thing is being comfortable in knowing if you go to Alabama you’re going to reap what you sow. It’s very business like over there. If you have the right mindset and that mindset is I want to work and be the best at my position, I feel like Alabama is the best place for you because they have a track record of guys coming in and dedicating themselves and making it to the league and prospering. I feel it’s a very cookie cutter situation. I can go in there, learn for three years and go to the league and make money. Alabama is kind of like a security blanket, you know what you’re going to get if you go and play for Nick Saban and go and play for Alabama. Having the security is what separates Alabama from a lot of schools.”

Florida: “Florida’s biggest pull for me is Florida the state. I have a lot of ties to the state. That coupled with Florida being on the rise with Coach (Dan) Mullen and his offense and everyone knows who Coach (Todd) Grantham is as a defensive coordinator. There are some key pieces starting to click at the University of Florida and I feel they’re on the verge of greatness. I feel me going to a place like Florida I’d be able to reap the benefits of them being on the rise. And it’s just Florida. You know what you’re getting in the state of Florida. You’re going to get good weather. Florida is a nice place to be honest. The football team is on the rise and the good education Florida has, they’ve been a Top10 public school education the last two years, it’s the best of both worlds.”

Ohio State: “Ohio State is another school like Alabama in the sense you have the security blanket. Coach (Ryan) Day this past season showed the world there is not going to be any drop off with Coach (Urban) Meyer leaving. They still have elite players all over the field. They’ll still have an elite coaching staff that is going to develop their players like the Chase Young’s of the world, the Bosas. You look at the secondary, they develop in the secondary. Ohio State is another school if you go there and put your head down for three years and do what the coaches are telling you to do you reap the benefits of it. Another thing that draws me to Ohio State is the way they can build a brand around you. Look at Garrett Wilson, how they’ve been able to help him build his brand. Chase Young, Zach Harrison they’re starting to do it for, the guys that are going to be elite they’re good helping them build their brand and persona.”

Oklahoma: “I’d say the draw to Oklahoma is a mixture of it’s close to home, it’s close to Texas, they’re on the rise. They’re on the cusp of something great. They’ve been to the College Football Playoff for a number of years now. They haven’t won a semifinal game yet but it’s big they’ve been to the game in the first place. Only a handful of schools have done that. They run the Big 12. Give them a couple years and they’ll be right at a National Championship. They just need some things to go there way and that’s what attracts me as well.

On Texas A&M: “What attracts me to them is it’s home, College Station is an hour and 15 minutes from my house. It’s the school I’ve ben to the most throughout this process. I’ve been to so many games during the seasons. Just being familiar with this staff, having ties, being an hour and 15 minutes from the house that’s something very attractive. Coach (Terry) Price has developed guys as well, Myles Garrett, he’s a very good coach.”

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Henderson commits to tOSU.

We could have gotten rid of Drayton... we had a golden opportunity to let go of Drayton... now Henderson is gone, LJ left us out of his top schools, and we have to hope that Drayton lands another Hail Mary after he figures out how to use Instagram. Fantastic stuff.

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We could have gotten rid of Drayton... we had a golden opportunity to let go of Drayton... now Henderson is gone, LJ left us out of his top schools, and we have to hope that Drayton lands another Hail Mary after he figures out how to use Instagram. Fantastic stuff.

With the rest of the world going to hell, it's good to see everything is right in the surly recruiting forum.

Edit: Burt beat me to it

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's Louisiana's version of Billy Bowman in that he could be a top 50 guy at DB or WR. LSU lock. Waste of time to pursue, but there should be some other studs in their loaded in-state class who should be pursued. 

16 hours ago, satyanash said:

We had a golden opportunity to let him go? He signed the #1 RB in the country 3 months ago. He wasn’t getting fired.

I realize who I’m talking to, but c’mon.

Edited by Lonestar88

18 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

And just like that, the world became a little more normal again. 

18 hours ago, KYHorn said:

With the rest of the world going to hell, it's good to see everything is right in the surly recruiting forum.

Edit: Burt beat me to it

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

quarantine yourself now for 2 weeks to make sure youre not infected with stupidity 

Thanks for the laughs Surly... Really needed it today!! 🤘

• Like 1

19 hours ago, satyanash said:

How can you think this man isn't trying??

6 hours ago, Fud said:

I unplugged from recruiting over the last month or so until I got tagged in here yesterday. Cliffs on what I missed? 

• we've been offering a bunch of random dudes
  • Quay loves Texas but no one knows if we'll take his commitment. Commence like an entire page of bickering about the semantics of that in true Surly fashion.
  • Texas and A&M $9.95ers both insist that they lead for Landon Jackson
  • rumor that we've stopped returning Saint Milroe's calls and that he's pissed
  • general freakout about RB because Wheaton is a pipe dream, we're on the outside looking in with Johnson, and Henderson is going to tOSU
  • in a stunning development, we missed out on Tunmise's top 5

that's all I can think of right now

• Like 1