Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

• rumor that we've stopped returning Saint Milroe's calls and that he's pissed

• Is this accurate? I’ve heard he might be pissed we are looking at other QBs and that he’s not getting the love from the staff that he’d like. But that’s different than “we have stopped returning his calls”.

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Is this accurate? I’ve heard he might be pissed we are looking at other QBs and that he’s not getting the love from the staff that he’d like. But that’s different than “we have stopped returning his calls”.

It's not accurate 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Lamar Consolidated? How many damn high schools has he gone to? If my memory serves me correctly, Pearland was HS number 3 or 4 for him

Holy shit, he changed again? I think that's four in four. I think WR Neville is 3 in 4. 

Just now, Hornsfan91 said:

A few days ago it did. I’m not sure what happened though. Maybe he changed his mind? 🤷‍♂️

So he's been at Katy Taylor, Pearland (or some Pearland School), Lamar Consolidated, and now Katy High? I think there might be another one in there too that I'm missing 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

So he's been at Katy Taylor, Pearland (or some Pearland School), Lamar Consolidated, and now Katy High? I think there might be another one in there too that I'm missing 

Here’s a link to an article saying he was returning to Lamar Consolidated. https://www.fbherald.com/free/lamar-consolidated-s-campbell-sets-choices/article_c7ad72ec-fdef-521a-897e-9a413f9a5e29.html

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I've got it at:

Lamar Consolidated -> Katy Taylor -> Pearland -> Lamar Consolidated (spring semester; no football) -> Katy

I wouldn't be shocked to learn there's another one sprinkled in there somewhere

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Where is this Milroe being pissed coming from?  CTJ said a week or so ago how Herman/Yurkich may screw this up, but he hasn't posted anything about it since.  

His twitter is still all Texas and all of his follows are Texas related.  Looks like he did start following the new Ole' Miss OC a good while back, but that's it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I wonder how NCAA will handle ACT/SAT testing if shelter in place runs much longer. 

also if all schools end up being virtual and effectively autopass how will they interpret course credit/graduation for HS seniors 

Regarding the SAT/ACT testing I don't really see a huge problem. HS juniors still have the fall to take it.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anything noteworthy in the Scoop today?  Saw they had a bit about Milroe.

No

IT Scoop - Nahlin/Wells

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells

Catching up with one UT target from the 2021, 2022, and 2023 classes.

ISAIAH NWOKOBIA - 2021

The Dallas Skyline safety might only be a three star, but his tape suggests otherwise.

Michigan State, Nebraska, Cal, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Arizona State and Colorado are among his top verbal invitations. Right now, he's just working out and preparing for the return of football.

At 6-foot-0 and 188 pounds, the defensive back hears from a lot of schools. With the safety market down in-state for 2021, Nwokobia wants to separate himself.

“I've been getting some weights in my garage, plus my push-ups and sit-ups," said Nwokobia. "I go to the field sometimes to work every now and then. Mainly on my coverage skills."

He's in high demand when you add intelligence to his already strong game.

“Texas, USC, Minnesota, Cal, and Oklahoma State have been recruiting me for a while," Nwokobia said. "Arizona, Iowa, and Michigan State have been recruiting me hard lately as well. It's all a blessing."

Notably, Texas is standing out for the DFW ballhawk.

"I have a great relationship with Coach Ash and Coach Herman," said Nwokobia. "I talk to them almost every day and it means a lot because I know Texas is a great program."

Nwokobia, like many other prospects, can't say when he'll visit. Nobody knows that yet. But getting to Austin is a priority for the Skyline product.

Check out the tape.

CALEB BURTON - 2022

The Del Valle wide receiver is spending his time working out with the best in town. When you've got 27 offers by the end of your sophomore year, you're doing something right.

I recently caught up with the 6-foot-0, 165-pound prospect and Texas target after a workout that included Baker Mayfield, Garrett Wilson, Danny Amendola, and Cade Brewer.

“It was great," Burton said. "I learned a lot of new things and met some cool people. They just gave me some tips about my game, said my route-running was very good and to work on my weight distribution in and out of cuts and breaks.”

Getting tips from some of CenTex's best has to be cool for any high school player.

“They also just told me to take this recruiting process by my time and everything will fall in place. It was just a cool environment, a lot of jokes and throwing shade on each other’s schools and players.”

Texas, OU, Ohio State, Cal, and Nebraska are recruiting Burton the hardest to date. And Texas A&M offered last week.

He finished the 2019 campaign with 906 yards and 12 touchdowns on 50 receptions. His relationship with the Horns remains unchanged.

“It’s great," said Burton. "I love the staff and the new wide receiver coach (Andre Coleman). Coach Herman is always fun to chat with."

Texas identified Burton early and continues to set the pace in this race. Even if he's hanging with the enemy.

Here's Burton in action.

JADEN GREATHOUSE - 2023

The Austin Westlake product already makes the All-Name team for the next three years. At 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, the baby-faced wide receiver put on a show in his first year on varsity, helping Westlake win the 6A DII state title while logging 715 yards and 10 touchdowns on 47 catches as a freshman.

He was rewarded recently with his first three offers; Texas, OU, and Baylor. Not bad for a freshman.

“It’s so crazy," said Greathouse. "I feel really blessed to be recruited by Texas. I’ve gone to a bunch of games.”

Westlake is no stranger to producing Longhorns. The current team boasts a pair of former Chaparrals.

“Sam and Jake (Ehlinger) are awesome," Greathouse said. "We moved here when I was three. It's always been home."

Being this close to UT has given them the early advantage.

“(Texas) has a great culture, great football program, and a place where I can make an immediate impact and get a great education," Greathouse said.

During this day and age of a pandemic and social distancing, athletes are missing sports as much as fans.

“Yeah, I miss sports for sure," said Greathouse. "All my basketball tournaments have been cancelled and (I'm) worried about spring football.”

One thing he doesn't have to worry about is he's no longer an unknown. With a name like Greathouse and talented resume, I don't think that'll be an issue moving forward.

Freshman.

#####

By: Eric Nahlin

We'll take a turn through the Southwest corner of the Houston area before heading due north to Klein.

CATCHING UP WITH QB1

Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe is still firmly committed to Texas. I don't expect that to change. It's the same old, same old with Milroe as he continues to put in work to become a better quarterback, and to make his life easier when he gets to Texas. To do that, he needs some help. He's still recruiting like always.

What he's working on this time of year:
    "Really just cleaning up everything for the offseason, fine tuning my upper body and lower body. Working on the lower body, my lower half. Fields have been closing but I'm still trying to get my work in. I've been watching a lot of film from last season too."

What does the film tell you:
    "I can work on hitting every spot of the field, working on progressions, learning the coverages, finding the coverage beaters, having a better idea of where to throw the ball. Are they in cover 3 or cover 4 and what do I do from there?"

Recruiting:
    "A lot of schools are heavily recruiting right now, a few schools have contacted me. It’s been Alabama, Arkansas, Miami, Baylor and a few others. They have been showing interest."

Commitment status to Texas:
    "I’m still 100% committed."

New OC Mike Yurcich:
    "I like the relationship we have. That was the biggest thing for me was relationships with the offensive coordinator. We talk about stuff outside of football. I want to have a lifelong relationship with my coaches. The plays he's been showing on Twitter is stuff I’m confident with and like."

Still recruiting for the Horns?
    "Oh yeah. I work on guys like JoJo Earle, of course Bryce (Foster), and Reuben Fatheree. I played with Reuben in the 8th grade."

You played with everyone in the 8th grade.
    "Pretty much. LJ Johnson. He's another one I'm working on."

I feel like people underrate how athletic he is:
    "I ran much more my sophomore (year) but they limited me as a junior. I think I’ll run more this year. It’s a weapon and a lot of our receivers graduated so it should be big for us."

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1221173825225863168

EricInsideTexas
    @EricNahlin
    Jalen Milroe in two parts. 1) people forget he’s an elite ATH. Look how early he knows he’s scoring. 2) doesn’t get flustered, steps up, anticipates, hits tight window.

Embedded video
    4:51 PM - Jan 25, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    50 people are talking about this

REUBEN FATHEREE

"Deuce" has been on the radar since before the start of his freshman year. His name has been a bit quiet when it comes to Texas, but I figured it was time to check in.

What schools are you talking to the most and who do you plan to visit when things return to normal?
    "Pretty much each school in my top 9. Had planned on one more unofficial to UT and LSU but not sure now if I will be able to. Probably will start working on a list for official visits."

Are you thinking Summer officials? How often do you talk to Texas? How's the relationship with Herb Hand?
    "Hopefully start them in the summer. We talk a couple of times during the week. We have a good relationship, I enjoy talking with him."

Reuben's top nine schools are: Notre Dame, Ohio State, LSU, OU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, A&M, and UT.

LSU probably leads at this point but I think UT may be able to creep in if the staff puts in the work. With Savion Byrd being a difficult pull and Tommy Brockermeyer's recruitment playing out into the fall, the staff is pushing a bit harder for Fatheree of late.

I maintain that Fatheree has a ton of upside. You don't see this often from an offensive tackle.

YOU'RE DRAYTON'S BOY, BLUE

One of my favorite 2022 recruits to talk to thus far is Klein Cain's Jaydon Blue. The 5-foot-9, 190-pounder has already been on the Texas radar for a long time but it's time to get to know him a little better.

You know I like a pinball back, and I see some shades of sophomore JK Dobbins in Blue's tape. 247Sports recently rewarded him with a lofty ranking befitting his tape.

How are you staying in shape during these crazy times?
    "Just working out, trying to find a way. Last week I worked out with my 7 on 7 coach in the sand pit. Been resting this weekend and will be back at it tomorrow."

I think I saw you were working out with Brennan Eagles?
    "I was, that is one big and fast guy. I don't know how big he is but he's big and can move."

Rankings aren't he end all, be all, but it had to feel good to get such a lofty ranking:
    “Before the rankings came out I had a feeling I was going to be the top back in the state but I didn’t know I’d be #7 in the nation and #80 player overall. Now I just need to keep working my way to the top.”

What schools are standing out?
    "UT definitely, USC, and Oklahoma State."

When we first talked you said you grew up an LSU fan:
    "Yes. I've had contact with them too. They said they're going to offer but they weren't going to rush them."

If LSU offers will other schools still have a chance?
    "Texas will definitely have a chance if LSU offers."

Texas was early to offer. Honestly I hadn't heard about you when they offered:
    "What stands out about Texas is my relationship with Coach Drayton. I met him when I went to a Texas camp the summer before my 9th grade year and we've been in contact since. Coach Herman, Drayton, and Bryan Carrington came by my school, too, and Coach Drayton stopped by a track practice."

I get the feeling you're going to let things play out for a while:
    "UT is my number one option but I'm definitely going to let it all play out."

What visits do you plan to take when things return to normal?
    "UT, LSU, and TCU. I might see Florida with my 7 on 7 team, too."

Sounds like Drayton is going above and beyond here. I'm warming to him as a recruiter of running backs.

This will be a good week for a recruiting Q&A, probably on Wednesday.

• Like 2

From the above IT Scoop

I maintain that Fatheree has a ton of upside. You don't see this often from an offensive tackle.

What? Most guys who are projected to play tackle in college have a lot of upside.

Maybe he meant to say that Fatheree has even more upside than most tackles.

I maintain that this was a poorly written article. You see this often from 9.95ers.

4 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

From the above IT Scoop

What? Most guys who are projected to play tackle in college have a lot of upside.

Maybe he meant to say that Fatheree has even more upside than most tackles.

I maintain that this was a poorly written article. You see this often from 9.95ers.

"This" was hyperlinked to this

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10141182/5dfe4f79d21abf0b30f0f5c4

On 3/28/2020 at 9:33 PM, texifornia said:

Suchomel published an interview with him. Mostly fluff, but Hutz has been recruiting him for a couple years. Didn't play his Junior season due to an undisclosed medical issue described as "in the past" and "not something like a torn up knee that's going to slow him down long term". Texas is in it if they can get him on campus. He likes the state, and he likes Hutz. Would be a linebacker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OU mod Drumm is actually high on Brooks, says great eval by Texas staff, and should push for a 4*.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/great-evaluation-by-texas-staff-and-cb-145572794/

He noticeably cleaned up his copy compared to his usual work. When he writes about OU he clearly does it in an emotional supersuperfast stream of consciousness and it's super garbled.

I was talking to a source the other day about RB in Texas and Jonathan Brooks came up. I didn’t know much about him, so I went to watch his film and see why they said, “he could end up being the best of them all.” I then noticed Texas had offered.

I gotta tell you all, this kid has everything you want in a Big 12 running back. His length and ability to catch allows him to play a variety of positions, even if he doesn’t pan out at RB. He also doesn’t lose speed when making cuts. To me that is one of the most crucial things you can possess as a RB, along with vision( he has that).

All in all, I came away very impressed by the Texas staff early evaluation of Brooks when not many have offered just yet. He reminds me a bit of Jamal Charles and Joe Mixon with how he catches out of the backfield and the way he runs a bit. Everything is so smooth and decisive.

Also, source said that they are hearing he is a heavy Texas lean. I really think he is a guy that could push hard for that fourth star in his senior season. I think he’s that good.

Obviously, Texas has legitimate shots with Camar Wheaton (Texas, OU, LSU and Bama are four I hear most and Wheaton visited Texas and OU before lockdown) and LJ Johnson so Brooks could be that guy that plays everywhere as an APB type.

Just a great evaluation by UT and wanted to explain my CB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OU mod Drumm is actually high on Brooks, says great eval by Texas staff, and should push for a 4*.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/great-evaluation-by-texas-staff-and-cb-145572794/

Any decent athlete will have great looking highlights in 3A. It’s pretty much impossible to evaluate Brooks as a prospect without testing numbers.