Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

From Perroni on King, like clockwork:

King has three Crystal Ball predictions for Texas and the Longhorns are in good shape. But he has picked up some pretty big offers since those picks were made, so he's a little more open now.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

20 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Should we read into this as Brocks are gone?

Yes, you should absolutely panic about that the April before their senior season starts: https://247sports.com/player/michael-myslinski-46086430/

Funky offer list this kid's got - his P5 offers are Illinois, Maryland... and Oregon, Iowa and Texas.

Edited by texifornia

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

With Juan Davis in the boat and the staff clearly in love with Elijah Arroyo, they're reaching an inflection point where they need to make a choice on King.

I still think that if Ash gets his way Davis is going to be playing DE, but yeah - there's going to be some more TE decisions looming. 

• we've been offering a bunch of random dudes
  • Quay loves Texas but no one knows if we'll take his commitment. Commence like an entire page of bickering about the semantics of that in true Surly fashion.
  • Texas and A&M $9.95ers both insist that they lead for Landon Jackson
  • rumor that we've stopped returning Saint Milroe's calls and that he's pissed
  • general freakout about RB because Wheaton is a pipe dream, we're on the outside looking in with Johnson, and Henderson is going to tOSU
  • in a stunning development, we missed out on Tunmise's top 5

that's all I can think of right now

I’ve been away too.

Anything new with the brocks? I know they wanted to see how Texas did this season, but if there is no season, how will that look with them

FYI, on offers - 

- Texas has almost as many out for 2021 (122 offers) as we did for the entire 2020 cycle (130);  wonder whether this is a one-off driven in large part by the new staff, or a change in strategy, and the norm moving forward.

Tennessee

- 2020: 491

- 2021: 429

Alabama

- 2020: 253

- 2021: 200

Georgia

- 2020: 268

- 2021: 205

Michigan

- 2020: 338

- 2021: 275

Texas

- 2020: 130

- 2021: 122

(Last year , there were 370 4* and 5* in the final composite rankings.  So if they went strictly by ranking - just in theory - TN could offer every 4*/5*, and Michigan could also come close to doing that.  So much for those "coveted" offers.)

247 had a good article out today about the fastest prospects in Texas. Everyone knows that Camar Wheaton and  LJ Johnson are the cream of the crop, but there are some really good second level guys this year in Texas. There were three RBs on the list that caught my eye. Take a look at the film for DQ James. He backed up Kevontre Bradford last year and gets to showcase this year. He's built like a bowling ball and can really fly. Reminds me of a certain OU RB that used to burn us regularly. Jordan Jenkins is an East Texas kid who looks built enough to play college ball this year. He runs a bit too upright many times, but I love how violent he is. The last RB that stood out to me is JP Martin. He's a slasher with a good combo of speed and power. All of these guys look like better RB prospects than Jonathan Brooks. Brooks has great vision and cut-back ability, but looks slow playing 3A competition. I hope if we take him that it is as an OLB/ATH rather than a true RB. 

• Like 3

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Elijah Arroyo updates recruitment amid coronavirus pandemic

Spoiler

Elijah Arroyo updates recruitment amid coronavirus pandemic

NickHarris

It has been a complicated few weeks on the recruiting trail for not only coaches, but players as well. With the 7-on-7 season suddenly cut short along with the inability to go visit campus during the offseason, recruits are having to communicate entirely with schools over the phone.

Frisco Independence's rising tight end, Elijah Arroyo, has experienced some of the difficulties so far, but has still been able to maneuver through his recruitment.

"Recruitment has been going really good for me," Arroyo said. "Nothing really exciting though since this unexpected dead period."

He has been keeping in contact with multiple schools in the meantime as his options begin to pile up. Since adding a Texas offer in February, he has added Michigan, Alabama, and Georgia among others to his growing list.

"I've been talking to a lot of schools almost daily like Texas, Auburn, TCU, Texas A&M, USC, LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Penn State," he said.

Texas remains in a solid spot for the highly-touted tight end as communication from the Longhorns began to heat up before the coronavirus shutdown.

"I have been texting Coach [Jay] Boulware every day," he said. "I actually talked on the phone with Coach [Tom] Herman this morning."

Arroyo has kept Texas high on his list since being offered, but he plans on feeling all of his options out before considering taking an official visit to Austin.

"I like the city of Austin and the vibe it gives," he said. "I'm gonna see how I feel about them once everything gets back to normal first. I wanna go see Miami, Michigan, USC, LSU and Penn State before I set up my officials."

Arroyo joins Humble Atascocita tight end Landen King as the two tight end recruits that Texas is honing in on for the 2021 class. While King seems to have Texas closer to the top, taking a commitment from both would not be out of the question.

At 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, Arroyo is the No. 594 overall recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 25 tight end and the No. 78 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Just take King, Arroyo, and Davis.  Davis seems like a guy that is just fucking good at football that can probably play offense or defense.  Just take all 3.  Fuck it...

I'm sure we would take all 3 of them. The trick is them being cool w us taking all 3 of them. 

Cast your vote for VY!

(Chris Hummer) All-Time Recruit Bracket: Breaking down the Elite 8

We’ve reached the Elite 8 of 247Sports’ All-Time Recruit Bracket, and it’s been a bloody path for our top seeds. There are only two top-four seeds remaining as some big-name stars of the past have upended the seeding. Pour one out for Jadeveon Clowney, our top overall seed, who had the misfortune of going head-to-head with Adrian Peterson in the Sweet 16. But that’s the madness of March (and now April). Fans have cast a quarter-of-a-million votes so far in this bracket, and the best matchups are yet to come. Let’s quickly take a look at where the bracket stands entering the quarterfinals:

Peyton Manning Region: No. 5 Adrian Peterson vs. No. 3 Justin Fields
Charles Woodson Region: No. 1 Vince Young vs. No. 6 Myles Garrett
Randy Moss Region: No. 4 Leonard Fournette vs. No. 7 Julio Jones
LaVar Arrington Region: No. 9 Reggie Bush vs. No. 11 Derrick Henry

There will be polls to vote below, and you can also participate on Twitter and Instagram. Want to tell us who should win? Leave your opinion in the comment section. Let’s quickly go over who these players were as recruits ahead of the voting.

Peyton Manning Region

Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

A legendary recruit out of Texas. Peterson ran for 2,960 yards and 32 touchdowns on 11.7 yards per attempt as a senior at Palestine High School. So popular that opponents asked for Peterson’s autograph after games. He also ran a 10.26 in the 100-meter dash as a junior, among the fastest times in the country. Peterson won U.S. Army National Player of the Year as a senior.

Justin Fields, QB, Georgia/Ohio State

Fields is one of only four quarterbacks in Top247 history to earn a 101 grade. He was named Elite 11 MVP during the 2017 Opening and Mr. Football in Georgia following his senior year. Fields threw for 4,448 yards and 44 touchdowns as an upperclassman for Harrison High School (Kennesaw). He also ran for 2,131 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Charles Woodson Region

Vince Young, QB, Texas

The top-ranked quarterback in 247Sports Composite history, Young earned Parade Magazine and Student Sports’ National Player of the Year honors as senior in 2001. He accounted for 3,819 yards and 59 touchdowns as a senior at Madison High School (Texas). Won MVP of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Lettered in four varsity sports (football, basketball, track, baseball) at Madison. So popular in Houston as a high schooler that he drew LeBron James-like hype.

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

The fifth-highest rated defensive end in 247Sports Composite history. Garrett posted 81 tackles and 19.5 sacks as a senior at Arlington Martin High School (Texas). MaxPreps All-American. He participated in Under Armour All-America Game as a captain. Garrett totaled 65 tackles, eight sacks and 16 tackles for loss as a junior. He also lettered in basketball and track. Earned the No. 1 overall ranking in the 2014 Top247.

Randy Moss Region

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

The second-highest rated running back in 247Sports Composite history. Fournette was a four-year starter for St. Augustine High School in Louisiana. USA Today National Offensive Player of the Year as a senior. Parade and MaxPreps All-American. The only two-time Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year. Ran for 1,792 yards and 16 touchdowns as a senior. Posted 2,135 yards and 31 touchdowns as a junior. 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons called him a “Mount Rushmore kind of prospect.”

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

The second-highest rated receiver in 247Sports Composite history. Comically played receiver and defensive end for Foley High School in Alabama. Parade, EA Sports and USA Today Al-American as a senior. The Gatorade Player of the Year in Alabama in 2007. Jones finished with 3,287 yards and 42 touchdowns in his high school career. He posted 68 catches for 1,181 yards and 16 touchdowns as a senior.

LaVar Arrington Region

Reggie Bush, RB, USC

Bush earned Parade, USA Today and several other All-American honors as a senior. He ran for 1,691 yards (12.1 ypc) and 27 touchdowns during his 2002 senior season despite missing four games. Bush finished his career with 4,995 yards across three seasons at Helix High School in La Mesa, California. He posted a 10.42 in the 100-meter dash in 2002, the fastest prep time in the state.

Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

Henry is the national high school record holder with 12,124 rushing yards. He rushed for 4,261 during his senior year at Yulee High School in Florida. 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong called Henry the “best high school football player ever” after a four-year starting high school career. MaxPreps, Parade and Maxwell Ford Club National High School Player of the Year in 2012. Also participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl participant.

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Just take King, Arroyo, and Davis.  Davis seems like a guy that is just fucking good at football that can probably play offense or defense.  Just take all 3.  Fuck it...

We didn’t take any TEs last class, so I don’t think it’s a terrible idea