Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

Just take King, Arroyo, and Davis.  Davis seems like a guy that is just fucking good at football that can probably play offense or defense.  Just take all 3.  Fuck it...

Yes, the Jackson/Card philosophy. Just take good football players, figure out the position later.

I unplugged from recruiting over the last month or so until I got tagged in here yesterday. Cliffs on what I missed? 
Dude, there is a virus going around. You didnt hear? NCAA said dead period.

Anyhow, they can text and call, but no IP contact.

Damn mox, I thought you knew.

17 hours ago, Fud said:

We didn’t take any TEs last class, so I don’t think it’s a terrible idea 

A point emphasized by a Dan Fouts comment about David Thomas ... paraphrasing:

*Makes a QB’s job much easier with a good TE working the middle of the field.*

As great as VY was on his own, its impossible to ignore Thomas’ value occupying defenders who would have otherwise focused on the QB running game. 

• Like 6

IT’s Humidor 4/3/2020

STATE OF RECRUITING

Thank God the month of March is in the rearview mirror. Thirty-one days never felt so long.

No spring ball. No recruiting visits. The new normals are virtual dinners and Zoom meetings allowing for relationship building in these social distancing times.

The beauty of technology is how Texas coaches can still recruit through myriad devices across myriad platforms. If there was one thing the newly-shuffled UT staff needed to do for the 2021 class, it was getting to know the priorities much more intimately over the next nine months. Timelines being extended is one possible silver lining for UT football. It allows for more relationship building. We said the new staff would have to hit the trail with enthusiasm to regain momentum lost from the 2020 season. Despite the current circumstances, we feel they’re doing just that.

Texas is ticking up for some high-yield talent that should pay dividends. Some will pay quarterly, some won’t pay until NSD1 in Q4.

The month of April should allow staff members to continue to grow these bonds, one virtual family dinner at a time.

With the VIX reaching all time highs, let’s get you your recruiting fix.

- The Brockermeyers have long been a solid brick and mortar buy. If they were stocks they’d be long-time fixtures in the DJIA. Today, we’d take Texas over the field with confidence slightly up recently. Morningstar would rate the Brockermeyers a buy, and we would as well. We think when it’s said and done, Tommy and James will join their brother Luke in Austin. They’re like Walmart or Microsoft. Buy when it’s up, buy when it’s down.

- Texas High DE/OLB Clayton Smith continues to trend toward the Longhorns. The staff has accurately judged him to be a growth fund worth investing in. UT was on Smith earlier than most schools, and hosted him on multiple visits including in February of 2019 when Eric thought he was white based off his name. OU and LSU are the threats, but if Giles and the staff stay the course, I like Texas’ chances here. The staff views Smith near the top of its watch-list.

- The same things said of Smith probably can probably be said for Pleasant Grove four-star Landon Jackson. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound future college defensive end was set to begin taking official visits this month, but that’s not going to happen. He’ll try to cram in as many officials as possible into the summer because he’s determined to commit before the start of his senior year. Texas A&M and LSU are the threats here, but the Horns still look strong for the two-time state champ from Texarkana. Like the Brockermeyers and Smith, Jackson is a FAANG stock. The class, like your portfolio, would be empty without him. Hopefully you bought this one early when @aggiecutter and Justin were advising you to.

- When Lubbock Coronado’s Sawyer Robertson committed to Mississippi State this week, it definitively removed one of Mike Yurcich’s options. Flower Mound Marcus’ Garrett Nussmeier is now by his lonesome as a possibility, but we’re staying away from this bargain stock even at its attractive price. LSU is his most likely landing spot. We don’t think Texas will reach for a second take just to take one. As we’ve reported previously, adding a second QB to the class wasn’t the most popular decision to begin with. No need to chase alpha when you already have one.

- Humble Atascocita tight end Landen King has seen his stock jump this week. Maybe he has the vaccine! The Texas fan picked up Georgia and Alabama offers, among others, so he might not exactly be the slam dunk we once thought. We still think the Horns are in the lead, but offers from programs like that always get kids’ attention. It’s important to note that King is big on relationships and UT got a jump on many schools. It was UT’s confidence buy, akin to the Oracle signing off on a stock, that jump-started his rise. Georgia and Bama offering could be a good thing. Certainly they won’t recruit King as hard as Texas and he’ll notice the difference.

- We think there’s a good chance Texas gets one of LJ Johnson or Camar Wheaton in the 2021 class, with Hallettsville’s Jonathon Brooks likely taking the other spot. We think the number is two tailbacks this year, though that could change. Johnson’s stock has certainly dipped from his August/September highs but don’t realize those losses just yet. He’s going to take his time and Texas is still in the thick of it. He talked to Stan Drayton this week as well as Jalen Milroe. We’re not buying UT for Johnson as we once did, but we’re paying attention when his name scrolls on the ticker. We think there’s a chance Drayton asserts himself as a national recruiter in this calendar. Stanning for Stan might become a thing. Drayton’s already off to the races with 2022 running back Jaydon Blue who went on an offer tear this week. As for Wheaton, we’re a bit more bullish than we’ve been in a year and his stock is rebounding. We think Texas is in a decent position. Running back dominoes are always worth watching. If Johnson ended up at OU it could help Texas with Wheaton and vice versa.

- It looks like Texas would be happy with a two-safety class, if that duo was Austin LBJ’s Andrew Mukuba and Dallas Skyline’s Isaiah Nwokobia. Our rating of Mukuba is two-fold: He currently likes OU, and his family didn’t travel halfway across the world so he could pass up a world-class education in the city they moved to so he could go to OU. His 30 ACT would automatically make him the smartest person in the state, akin to Buffet moving from Omaha to NYC. Texas has ground to make up and the staff is applying effort. Nwokobia is another smart one. We like UT’s position with him, but perhaps the ‘Rona pushes his decision back a little. Before this we’d have guessed him to join the class during the summer. He’s well built, which is the initial attention-getter, but it’s his fluidity that differentiates him. Chris Ash had virtual dinners with both this week. Essentially they FaceTime with the prospect and his family, and talk during dinner with Ash and his family. Again, the new normal in recruiting in 2020. As for 2022, it’s all-in on Aledo’s Bryan Allen Jr., who might be the state’s top safety prospect regardless of class. He’s basically a long awaited IPO with a five-star rating, and probably the third best prospect in the state for the 2022 class.

- Allen’s teammate, JoJo Earle, has been trending back towards Austin following his unofficial on the 40 Acres before the shutdown. While he’s mentioned committing during or after his senior year, don’t be surprised if that’s pushed forward this summer if he finds the right fit. Watch OU and TCU here as they’re legit threats. A receiver class of him and Teddy Knox would be an ideal foundation to the pass-catching portion of 2021 as Yurcich looks to get more explosive. The staff wants both.

- Dallas Kimball’s Ishmael Ibraheem made a very important spring visit before the virus acted as a circuit breaker. That visit enabled a face to face meeting with Jay Valai, who had some ground to make up after replacing Jason Washington. Ibraheem is viewed as the top corner in the state and a must-get. Texas replacing Washington, though necessary, did put Valai in a trail position. We think he has the recovery speed necessary to make up ground and make things interesting at the catch point. Ibraheem has a long way to go and we do have some concern he can be won over on a visit a la Jalen Kimber.

- DeSoto’s Shemar Turner is going to be one of the big Q4 storylines. By then, Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen should have an excellent D-line class (it should be the overall strength of the class) with one big missing piece - an interior monster. In the past we’ve had some concerns about whether or not Turner would be open to being a tackle but like Alfred Collinsand Vernon Broughton we think he’s coming around to the idea. Like seeing green or red on the screen, the scale tends to smack you with reality. We like Turner as a long-term investment but he’s going to take visits during the season.

If we didn’t mention a player it doesn’t indicate UT isn’t still in it for them. We’re just offering up what we’ve heard recently.

You can’t time the bottom, but we feel strongly Texas is at the bottom currently. However, that bottom isn’t a bad place, it just represents things have nowhere to go but up from here. We think the staff is well positioned to keep improving its standing with a number of key players, we just need in-person contact to resume to solidify relationships and land some commitments.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Listened to Roachs podcast, not much valuable info (Shocker) but Milroe seems pretty locked in. He seemed a bit pissed when he asked about a QB2 take but it looks like that wave has passed now. 

Yeah I listened to that part.  Got the impression that he really didn't want to talk about that.  Everything else sounded like he's locked in like you say.  When Nussmeier comes off the board to LSU, all the top QB's will be committed anyways, so hopefully this is all a mute point soon.

I did see on the OU Brainiacs open post Super K thinks Foster's top 3 are OU, aggy, and Oregon.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah I listened to that part.  Got the impression that he really didn't want to talk about that.  Everything else sounded like he's locked in like you say.  When Nussmeier comes off the board to LSU, all the top QB's will be committed anyways, so hopefully this is all a mute point soon.

I did see on the OU Brainiacs open post Super K thinks Foster's top 3 are OU, aggy, and Oregon.

But what if other takes are mooted?

Re: Foster, it does seem like the family is just not going to let UT happen. Come on Cristobal.

From reading the IT article, it sounds like we'd take 4 DE's if possible ( Sanders + Smith, Jackson, and Thomas ) and 1 interior guy ( Turner ).  I'm also assuming Burris would be a take no matter what if that happens.  Also think one of the sites thinks Thomas could grow into a DT.

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Re: Foster, it does seem like the family is just not going to let UT happen. Come on Cristobal.

I'd say that's shortsighted, but then again Brock told A&M to piss off.  Hell, my whole family hates A&M worse than OU.  I didn't understand it until they started to win games against us when I was in school.  What a bunch of insufferable pricks.

247 / Brian Dohn / No. 9 OLB's Top 7 includes SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12 schools

Spoiler

No. 9 OLB's Top 7 includes SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12 schools
BRIAN DOHN

One of the top outside linebackers in the nation prioritized his schools of interest with the release of a top seven Saturday.

Four-star Aaron Willis of Baltimore St. Frances released his top schools and they are spread across the country.

Alabama, LSU, Texas, Maryland, Tennessee, Arizona State and Michigan made the cut for the hard-hitting, quick-reacting standout.

“These schools are showing me the most time, and love,” he said. “They are recruiting me hard. I talked to all these schools’ defense staff. And I have a good relationship with them.”

The 6-foot, 200-pound Willis is being recruited as a hybrid player who can line up at safety or linebacker, which adds to his value since he can play in different packages.

He is the No. 9 outside linebacker in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

The next step for Willis is getting out and making visits. The one-time Virginia Tech commit was slated to make a bunch of visits in March and April, but those will have to wait until the NCAA ban on visits is lifted.

In the meantime, though, he is speaking with coaches regularly to get a better feel for the programs and how he would be used in the defense.

“Now I’m just going narrow it down more to find the perfect place,” he said. “My recruitment is still open but you have to be the Michael Jordan of recruiting to pull me away from me picking one of these schools.”

Willis wanted to make a decision prior to the start of his senior season, but he acknowledged that may not be possible given the visit shutdown so he is using the time to get to know the coaches on a more personal level.

“They are talking about inside (linebacker) or strong safety, somewhere in the box,” Willis said recently. “It depends on the school and their formation. I get strong safety or middle linebacker as the two most talked about.”

The time in which the schools have been recruiting Willis did not play a huge role.

Texas offered him last week. Arizona State offered in late January, and he was offered by the other five schools more than a year ago. On the visit front, he was at Maryland prior to the February dead period, and he took in games at Alabama and LSU in the fall.

Scouting report from Willis’ 247Sports profile: Frame concerns at linebacker, but not a deal-breaker. Plays physical, violent and fast. Sound with responsibilities. Moves well laterally. Good tackler with body control. Delivers big hit with low pad level moving downhill. Quick feet and ability to change direction in coverage. Excellent instincts. Can disengage and fill run gaps. Solid blitzer. Would benefit greatly if was a little taller and had more length. Continued development of backside pursuit important. Has to show he can stack and shed consistently. Ability to run with running back in coverage a question. Multi-year starter at Top 15 program. Should develop into a mid-round NFL draft choice.

https://247sports.com/player/aaron-willis-46052557/

(Horns247 Staff) The Roundup: Recapping a busy week on the recruiting trail

The Texas staff had their busiest week since the coronavirus shutdown began. They appear to be in a groove when it comes to making evaluations and sending out offers. Horns247 takes a look at some of the recent prospects on the Longhorns' radar and where Texas stands with a few prospects after they cut down their list of top schools.

New Offers

Sage Ryan, S, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy

Bio: Texas pulled the trigger on one of the top prospects in the entire country. A four-star defensive back, Ryan holds offers from Florida State, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and many others. To no surprise, LSU holds the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead with 100 percent of the picks favoring the Tigers. There have been a few whispers that Ryan could look to leave the state, but he has major ties to the LSU program. Ryan showed impressive athleticism over the last year with a 4.45 40-yard dash, 36-inch vertical and 4.37 shuttle.

Quotable: “It means a lot. Texas is a top tier program.”

Film: Ryan jumps off the screen from his very first clip where he flies downhill and closes ground quickly before arriving with a thud. Ryan shows great ability to read and react, and he shows impressive quickness in small spaces. Ryan plays with a nasty attitude and shows the versatility to play in the box, deep coverage and possibly the cornerback position.

Larry Turner-Gooden, ATH, Playa Del Rey (Calif.) St. Bernard (2022)

Bio: A 2022 prospect, Turner-Gooden is already a national recruit with offers from all over the country. Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and USC are just some of the schools to offer. At 6-foot-1, 179 pounds, Turner-Gooden is ranked as the No. 4 athlete in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “Texas is one of those big programs that recruits high-level guys. It’s just an honor to receive a scholarship offer from them.”

Film: Turner-Gooden jumps out as a ballhawk on field. With excellent read and react skills, Turner-Gooden explodes to the ball and shows great ball skills. A twitchy athlete, Turner-Gooden can play multiple positions in the secondary, and he plays with a ton of confidence and swagger. Turner-Gooden has the look of a player who can eventually reach national Top 100 status.

Kelvin Gilliam, DE, Highland Springs (Va.)

Bio: Gilliam is in high demand as a high-ceiling defensive lineman. Gilliam holds offers from Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State, North Carolina and Ole Miss. At 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, Gilliam is ranked as the No. 5 weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in Virginia, according to 247Sports Composite.

Quotable: “It’s amazing. (Texas) really impacted my recruitment.”

Film: Gilliam has a stout frame and plays strong at the point of attack. He shows great juice in backside pursuit with a strong motor. Gilliam shows the ability to play two gaps and hold off double teams, but he can also push inside and play as a one-gap penetrator. His violent hands at the point of attack and relentless pursuit are huge tools for any defensive line coach to work with.

Jyaire Brown, CB, New Orleans Warren Easton (2022)

Bio: Brown began to pick up steam over the spring, and holds double-digit offers from across the country. A 2022 cornerback, some of Brown's current offer list includes Mississippi State, Colorado, Louisville, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia. At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Brown is ranked as the No. 17 cornerback in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “This means a lot to me. This is huge. I’m a big fan of Texas football, and after the conversation with coach Jay Valai, I’m an even bigger fan.”

Film: Brown is aggressive at the line of scrimmage and plays press coverage with incredible confidence. Brown shows quick feet in coverage and strong instinctual ability to read passes. He’s a bouncy athlete with freakish athletic traits and explosive hips. Brown plays physically at the line of scrimmage, and he’s a willing tackler.

Michael Myslinski, OC, Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny

Bio: Myslinski is a rising prospect starting to garner more attention. The three-star center holds offers from Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Oregon, Tulane and Maryland. A son of former NFL offensive lineman, Tom Myslinski, Michael has a link with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand through an uncle on his mother’s side. At 6-foot-3, 285 pounds, Myslinski is ranked as the No. 13 center in the nation and No. 90 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “I’m extremely excited and honored. I’ve always been a fan of Texas, and I’m excited to go visit after this virus clears up.”

Film: Myslinski shows excellent quickness for an offensive lineman and a tenacious mean streak. He shows good quickness off the ball, and is a devastating mauler once he locks on. Myslinski uses excellent technique and leverage, which allows him to defeat bigger opponents. He will need to grow physically, but currently appears to be a true hidden gem at center.

Ga'Quincy McKinstry, CB, Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley

Bio: A composite five-star prospect, McKinstry is one of the best players in the country. Auburn holds the current 247Sports crystal ball lead with 67 percent of picks, but Clemson appears to be a factor as well. McKinstry will be tough to win over with so many SEC programs deeply in the mix with him. At 5-foot-11.5, 172 pounds, McKinstry is ranked as the No. 2 cornerback in the nation and No. 1 overall prospect in Alabama, according to 247Sports Composite.

Quotable: “An outstanding and productive two-way player on the gridiron, starring as a receiver and corner for Pinson Valley. Features elite ball skills as a corner and would also be a top prospect as a receiver if he wanted.” – Charles Power, 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst

Film: McKinstry has a lean frame with good length and excellent burst. He can play on both sides of the ball at a high level, but his explosive ability, length, quick feet and ball skills provide a high ceiling at the cornerback position. He could improve his tackling ability, but he checks nearly every box at an elite rate.

Enai White, DE, Philadelphia Imhotep Institute (2022)

Bio: White is a two-sport star who plays both sides of the ball as well. He already holds 33 offers from programs, including LSU, Penn State, Tennessee, Georgia, Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas A&M. At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, White is ranked as the No. 1 weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 1 overall prospect in Pennsylvania, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “It means a lot. I’m very blessed and thankful.”

Film: White has an impressive frame with great length and twitchy explosion off the line. He’s a natural bender with strong lateral ability for his size. White plays with excellent discipline and shows good technique. Incredible room for growth and his basketball background is a plus for the position.

Jaheim Singletary, CB, Jacksonville (Fla.) Robert E. Lee (2022)

Bio: Singletary is already in the running for five-star status in the 2022 class. A top 15 prospect nationally, Singletary already holds offers from Florida, Arizona State, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Michigan and Oregon. At 6-foot-1, 170 pounds, Singletary is ranked as the No. 3 cornerback in the country and No. 4 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “It feels great. I’ve been waiting on Texas.”

Film: Singletary shows tremendous athletic ability with the prototype frame to build at cornerback. Singletary shows the capability to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage and plays with strong physicality. His leaping ability is elite, and he shows good ball skills from playing both offense and defense.

KJ Miles, DE, Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep (2022)

Bio: Miles is picking up a huge following for a 2022 prospect. The four-star defensive lineman holds 16 offers, including Alabama, Arizona State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia Tech and Tennessee. Miles was offered by Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash as an eighth grader when Ash served as the head coach at Rutgers. At 6-foot-3.5, 261 pounds, Miles ranks as the No. 9 weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in New Jersey, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “It means a lot. It reinforces the hard work that I put into the game as well as being recognized as one of the nation’s top athletes on and off the field. For UT to feel that I’m a kid that they would put on scholarship is just awesome.”

Film: Miles shows a lot of versatility on film, and could play up and down the defensive line depending on how he develops physically. I see him as a future three-technique, but he can be moved around depending on the front. Miles shows good twitch and strength at the point of attack. He plays a bit high, but overall Miles’ package of versatile ability shows a high floor.

Top Schools

Shemar Turner, DE, DeSoto

The Desoto defensive lineman trimmed his list of schools and released his top 11 teams in a video posted to Twitter earlier this week. Texas made the cut, along with Texas A&M, Baylor, Ohio State, Florida, Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Alabama and Georgia. Turner visited Austin shortly before the COVID-19 shutdown, and Texas appears to be in the thick of the race. Turner has no stated timeline for a decision and no 247Sports Crystal Ball selections.

Bram Walden, OT, Scotsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro

Walden made the decision to cut his list when the four-star offensive tackle announced his Top 12 on Twitter Monday evening. The Longhorns made the cut with Ohio State, USC, Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford, Texas A&M, Michigan, Washington, Florida State and Utah. Oregon currently holds the lone 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction, though Walden doesn't have an official timeline set for his decision.

Josh Simmons, OG, La Mesa (Calif.) Helix

Simmons opened up his recruitment on Tuesday night after he decommitted from Oregon. The four-star prospect doesn’t hold a Texas offer yet, but he told 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Greg Biggins that Texas was one of the schools he was hearing from frequently and wants to visit whenever possible.

Julien Simon, ATH, Tacoma (Wa.) Lincoln

Simon named a top eight on Wednesday afternoon. A four-star prospect, the versatile athlete included Texas with Arizona State, California, Michigan, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and Washington. Simon told 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman, “Texas is a school that is a great place to be in and on the uprise of coming back onto the national scene.” Michigan, Stanford and Washington seem to be the schools standing out right now.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 2:09 PM, texifornia said:

The Olympic throwing ambitions should make Texas the obvious choice. The family jeopardizing that is ridiculous. 

Please Note. If my kid had Olympic aspirations and the obvious choice was aggy or OUsux?  I'd low grade do everything in my power to keep it from happening. 

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

my kid had Olympic aspirations and the obvious choice was aggy or OUsux? 

I’d rather my kid go to OU than aggy.  
sooners might be the second-worst people on the planet, but nobody is more vile and despicable and stupid than aggy. 

Edited by futureman
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K says Quay Davis is about to commit to USC. He also says if Texas pushes their is a very good chance he ends up at Texas still regardless of this commitment 

Over/under on the number of times he commits to a school at 4.5 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K says Quay Davis is about to commit to USC. He also says if Texas pushes their is a very good chance he ends up at Texas still regardless of this commitment 

So are we all seeing the issue here or are people going to say it's still the coaches' fault?

On 4/3/2020 at 11:59 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

French benefits

On 4/1/2020 at 5:09 PM, Bolero88 said:

247 had a good article out today about the fastest prospects in Texas. Everyone knows that Camar Wheaton and  LJ Johnson are the cream of the crop, but there are some really good second level guys this year in Texas. There were three RBs on the list that caught my eye. Take a look at the film for DQ James. He backed up Kevontre Bradford last year and gets to showcase this year. He's built like a bowling ball and can really fly. Reminds me of a certain OU RB that used to burn us regularly. Jordan Jenkins is an East Texas kid who looks built enough to play college ball this year. He runs a bit too upright many times, but I love how violent he is. The last RB that stood out to me is JP Martin. He's a slasher with a good combo of speed and power. All of these guys look like better RB prospects than Jonathan Brooks. Brooks has great vision and cut-back ability, but looks slow playing 3A competition. I hope if we take him that it is as an OLB/ATH rather than a true RB. 

DQ just committed to Hawaii

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Guess when every big school wanted to wait on his senior film he decided to make sure he had a spot somewhere 

I know I’ve asked this before, but isn’t his cousin Tony Grimes? Although if so, I believe Fud said they weren’t that close. Still, wonder if they could effect Grimes staying VA. Have to think it’s not helping aTm’s perceived chances with Grimes. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know I’ve asked this before, but isn’t his cousin Tony Grimes? Although if so, I believe Fud said they weren’t that close. Still, wonder if they could effect Grimes staying VA. Have to think it’s not helping aTm’s perceived chances with Grimes. 

Seems like a Georgia vs Ohio State recruitment, although I’ve been following this stuff like 10% as closely as I usually do 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

VA kids don't stick to VA schools for whatever reasons..  Seems like most head towards tosu or south to Clemson.. the high profile ones atleast.

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Mental health issues, or virus/family related?

Busy with work, and spending more time following the virus and the market than recruiting when (1) there's not much real recruiting info and (2) there's a small chance that we don't even have a real football season 

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Predicting the 2021 offensive class

The Texas recruiting class got off to a quick start last summer, but they haven’t struck gold in quite some time. The Texas staff is doing what they can right now, but they are at a disadvantage as a completely new staff hamstrung by recruiting during a pandemic. While the coronavirus could give them the time they need to catch up, several prospects are starting to pull the trigger on commitments as the possibility of no spring or summer visits looms very large.

Sources on the staff indicated confidence in the long-term plan if the Longhorns were able to show off what they had on both sides of the ball this coming year. Still, it’s a long cycle, and Texas can still score with many of their top targets. Over the weekend, I checked around to determine the status of several Texas targets. The Texas recruiting effort may seem stuck in neutral for now, but a strong foundation with the original members of their class means that they can finish with a strong group.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, I take my run at predicting what the 2021 Texas class might look like on the offensive side of the ball.

Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy Tompkins

Milroe has been the lynchpin of the early class, and it’s for that reason Texas has a strong foundation. Milroe has been the leader of this group since he made his decision, and he provides Texas with a high-ceiling at the quarterback position. Programs like Auburn, Alabama and Miami are taking their best shot trying to pry Milroe away from Texas. Milroe maintains that he’s locked into his Texas commitment, and this coronavirus shutdown will make it more difficult for those schools to gain any more ground.

Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Texas will likely take two running backs, and I like where they stand right now most with Wheaton. The speedy Dallas runner is a bit of a mystery, and even those near him don’t know what he will truly do. There are a number of schools rumored for Wheaton, but my intelligence tells me that Texas, Oklahoma, and SMU are the main contenders. I’m told that Wheaton won’t likely go far from home, and I think Texas and Stan Drayton are doing a quietly good job in this race.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville

Texas felt strong about Brooks when they evaluated him on film, and that eventually turned into his first offer. The Hallettsville runner keeps a low profile, but Texas is very interested in his services going forward. It’s simple for both sides. The Longhorns are the biggest school to offer Brooks so far and they’ve been recruiting him hard since the beginning. Unless they choose to move in another direction at some point in the future, I don’t see any way Brooks doesn’t wind up in Austin.

Hal Presley, WR, Mansfield Summit

When Texas offered Presley in March, they made it clear how much they wanted him. The big outside receiver from DFW was all set to rise up boards with a strong spring, but COVID-19 kept his progress from being seen. Still, Texas is pursuing Presley hard, and he’s the type of receiver they love to feature on the outside. Baylor and Cal will be tough to top, but if this one goes the distance, I believe that Texas has the ability to win out.

JoJo Earle, WR, Aledo

Texas recruited Earle like they needed him more than anyone on the board over the last few months, and their efforts made an impression. Texas was able to get Earle in right before the dead period and wowed him during the trip. The Longhorns have a duo that Earle is fond of in Andre Coleman and Jay Valai recruiting him, and the whole Texas staff is committed to being involved. Earle once had Texas at the top of his list, and I believe they win him back.

Theodore Knox, WR, The Woodlands

Texas has been pursuing one of the fastest players in the country for almost a year, and they find themselves in strong standing for the blazing-fast wideout. Mississippi State, Georgia, and Baylor are the listed competitors, but Mississippi State will likely be the heaviest competition. The Bulldogs were early to offer Knox and the Mike Leach offensive system is enticing to him. Still, Texas can display a similarly enticing offensive system and provide an in-state home.

Landen King, TE, Atascocita

Another strong early evaluation for Texas, King saw his recruitment take off over the last month. The Longhorns weren’t the first to offer King, but they were one of the first major programs to offer him earlier this year following Tennessee and Virginia Tech. King called Texas a dream offer, and we’ve heard strong confidence in Texas landing him in the past. Recent offers from Texas A&M, Georgia, and Alabama might complicate things, but I still see Texas winning out.

Juan Davis, ATH/TE, Everman

Texas was the first to offer Davis, and they landed him after a short courtship. Davis has the versatility to play both sides of the ball, but right now I’m forecasting him as a tight end. Davis is another early evaluation for Texas, and he’s one they felt strongly about over the last six months. Baylor and Texas A&M tried to make a run at Davis over the last few months, but he didn’t show very much interest.

Hayden Conner, OL, Katy Taylor

Conner joined Milroe shortly after the quarterback committed, and he was sold on the relationship with Herb Hand and the educational opportunities in his desired field of aerospace engineering. It would take something huge to pull Conner off of his commitment, and it is for that reason I have him as a definite piece of the 2021 class.

Jonah Miller, OL, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic

Earlier in the year, I thought that tight numbers along the offensive line could have prevented Miller from landing in this class. At this point, it looks like Texas could choose to push for Miller. If they do, I think they have a strong chance to land his commitment. Miller was blown away by his visit to Austin last year, and he’s close with Texas signee and former high school teammate Bijan Robinson. If Texas pushes and Miller waits to take his visits, they can absolutely win that race.

Matthew Wykoff, OL, Magnolia

Wykoff plays things pretty close to the vest, but Texas made his recent cut of top schools. While there are some whispers that Wykoff could be heading out of state, the Longhorns prioritized him early in the year and brought him in for junior day. It will likely be a tough battle for him, but Texas has the need and ability to close the deal with him if Wykoff is patient and takes his visits.

Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer, OL, Fort Worth All Saints

I’m going out on a limb here a bit, but I believe that Texas can win this heavyweight fight if they do everything they need to do. As Texas legacies, the brothers have grown up their entire lives watching the Longhorns and thinking about playing in Austin. Lack of NFL development allowed other schools to creep in, and Alabama in particular will be the biggest hurdle for Texas to clear. If the twins had to decide today, I’m not sure Texas would be the pick. That said, I think that Texas can win them over with a strong season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Busy with work, and spending more time following the virus and the market than recruiting when (1) there's not much real recruiting info and (2) there's a small chance that we don't even have a real football season 

Yeah, I’ve been doing similar. Sub the market for chasing a 2 year old in between meetings. Just wanted to make sure you we’re doing ok. 

• Like 2