Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

That’s weird to me. Thought he was serious about throwing. Isn’t their program dog shit?

yes, but his mom is a redass who cares more about her aggyness than him getting the best opportunities. She'd rather him be ANYWHERE but UT, despite the perfect fit in both his sports and the superior education because: WHOOOOOOOP. He clearly doesn't want to go aggy, so her whole mission is to get him anywhere but UT. Once she made that clear, he started leaning OU. 

• Like 4

Normally I would not rehash the same debate about saving OL numbers for 2021 and counting our chickens before they hatched but fuck it. We have nothing else to talk about. 

We boned the dog pretty good on OL numbers. Not quite retain-Shawn-Watson-at-coordinator bad, but bad nonetheless. 

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Normally I would not rehash the same debate about saving OL numbers for 2021 and counting our chickens before they hatched but fuck it. We have nothing else to talk about. 

We boned the dog pretty good on OL numbers. Not quite retain-Shawn-Watson-at-coordinator bad, but bad nonetheless. 

Strong/transition: Okafor, Imade, Kerstetter

2018: Angilau, Moore, Ghirmai, Grandy, Jones

2019: Johnson, Hookfin, Shepherd, Tyler, Braun

2020: Majors, Parr, Garth, Karic

Over Herman's full classes that isn't an awful numbers of takes

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

(Mike Roach) Crystal Ballin: Updating predictions on several Texas targets

The coronavirus outbreak seemed like it could slow down several recruitments, but there was some movement over the past few days. As such, I’ve updated a few 247Sports Crystal Ball picks both in favor and against the Longhorns.

2021 Targets

Quaydarius Davis, WR, Skyline – Picked to USC

There was a time early this year where it looked like Davis would be back in the class. Since that time, it feels like Texas and Davis have been drifting apart. There were some dynamics at play in Davis’s recruitment where both sides just couldn’t seem to come together. Meanwhile, USC has been surging for Davis and trying to make a big splash in the state of Texas. The Trojans landed Davis’s Fast 7v7 teammate Brandon Campbell a week ago, and sources out west feel strongly about USC and Davis. His recruitment has been a bit all over the place, including two public commitments, but right now it seems like USC has the juice.

Savion Byrd, OL, Duncanville – Picked to SMU

This is a recruitment I’ve been hinting at for a while, but I feel like SMU is opening up a decent-sized lead for the four-star Duncanville offensive lineman. After conferring with sources on the SMU side and our team at Pony Stampede to corroborate information, I feel ready to go forward with one of the shockers of this cycle. When I hinted late last fall that SMU was a much bigger player in Byrd’s recruitment than people thought, there were those skeptical that the Mustangs could land a player of Byrd’s magnitude. Much like Preston Stone before him, SMU used its unique standing in Dallas and relationship with Duncanville to put itself in position to pull off a stunner. It’s likely this won’t be the last time SMU plays the role of the thorn in Texas' side.

Bryce Foster, OL, Katy Taylor – Picked to Oklahoma

There was a time last summer where it looked like Foster could be the next in line to join the Texas class. Herb Hand and Bryce Foster are very close, and Hand was one of the first coaches to offer him. Oklahoma has always been the biggest threat for Foster, and the allure of playing for Bill Bedenbaugh is big for him. I’ve always thought that Texas had as good of a chance as anyone if Foster took all of his visits, but I get the feeling that his timeline might be escalating.

Clayton Smith, LB, Texarkana Texas High – Picked to Texas

Smith has been a big priority for the Texas staff recently. He was originally set to visit Austin during the spring game, but he will need to reschedule until after the dead period is lifted. Texas has a few links to Smith through his brother Devin — who played for Texas staffer Bob Shipley at Coppell, played with cornerbacks coach Jay Valai and under defensive coordinator Chris Ash at Wisconsin. Smith has been to Texas more times than any other school, and Texas has strong footing within his recruitment. LSU and Florida State could be tough, but I think Texas is quietly surging right now.

Calen Bullock, ATH, Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir – Picked to USC

Texas took a chance going to the West Coast to recruit Bullock, but I don’t see the Longhorns winning out on this one. USC surged in crystal ball picks for Bullock over the weekend, and sources I spoke to out west name the Trojans as the favorite right now to land the versatile athlete. It was always a bit of a longshot for Texas, but I don’t see Bullock leaving California.

2022 Targets

Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain – Picked to Texas

Texas went in early on Blue and the early leap paid off. Blue eventually finished a strong sophomore season and debuted in the 2022 Top247 at No. 80 nationally. Blue recently picked up an Alabama offer, but Texas was the only top school Blue named to have offered him prior to the Crimson Tide coming through. Texas appears to be going all out to land Blue in 2022, and the Longhorns have a head start on him.

Devon Campbell, OL, Arlington Bowie – Picked to Texas

I’ve gone back and forth on entering this crystal ball over the last couple of months, but I feel strong enough to get in now. Texas was the among the first five schools to offer Campbell, and he admitted multiple times that the Longhorns were really the only school he was thinking about. Oklahoma is a perceived threat, but Texas has a strong relationship at Bowie, and Hand prioritized Campbell early enough to make a big impact.

Jaylon Guilbeau, CB, Port Arthur Memorial – Picked to Texas

Out of all the prospects in a loaded 2022 defensive back class, it sounds like Jay Valai struck the strongest chord with Jaylon Guilbeau. The four-star cornerback visited Texas during the early part of the spring and came away impressed with what he saw. Since that time, Guilbeau built a strong relationship with Valai and company, and his teammate Jordon Thomas is also high on Texas. I’m unclear on when he might decide, but I like where Texas stands right now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Enough of a bump to make Bowman a composite 5*?  Cooks to 4*?  Anymore BOMC?

Maybe Cooks will move up, but I'm not quite sure why they're updating rankings so soon after the most recent update in February. Not like there's been a whole lot of opportunity for evaluation since then.

7 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Maybe Cooks will move up, but I'm not quite sure why they're updating rankings so soon after the most recent update in February. Not like there's been a whole lot of opportunity for evaluation since then.

In their defense, maybe they've had more time to go over hudls

Hates t.u. more than she loves her son. Steering him away (no pun) from his buddies with whom he would have an amazing college experience as well as from the very best training for his Olympic dream because of her own hate.

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Strong/transition: Okafor, Imade, Kerstetter

2018: Angilau, Moore, Ghirmai, Grandy, Jones

2019: Johnson, Hookfin, Shepherd, Tyler, Braun

2020: Majors, Parr, Garth, Karic

Over Herman's full classes that isn't an awful numbers of takes

You are missing an OL here.

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Probably the most impressive find by Mensa and co. yet. I remember everyone on here or shaggy melting down about that commitment.

Him and Kerstetter as the only OL in the transition class could have been a disaster and instead they both turned into quality starters. Great evals by ....Warehime? Maybe?

3 hours ago, Scholz said:

Hates t.u. more than she loves her son. Steering him away (no pun) from his buddies with whom he would have an amazing college experience as well as from the very best training for his Olympic dream because of her own hate.

At this point she should just ship him out to Fort Fargo where he can win four national titles and be on the best throws squad in the country. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Predicting the 2021 offensive class

Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy Tompkins

Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville

Hal Presley, WR, Mansfield Summit

JoJo Earle, WR, Aledo

Theodore Knox, WR, The Woodlands

Landen King, TE, Atascocita

Juan Davis, ATH/TE, Everman

Hayden Conner, OL, Katy Taylor

Jonah Miller, OL, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic

Matthew Wykoff, OL, Magnolia

Tommy Brockermeyer OL, Fort Worth All Saints

James Brockermeyer, OL, Fort Worth All Saints

Would this be an acceptable offensive class? 

Is it realistic?

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"Acceptable?" Sheesh, it'd be terrific. Missing on all three of Byrd, Foster, and Donovan Jackson would suck though.

Yeah not getting 1 of those 3 would be the only letdown.  Now if we get 1 or both of the Arizona kids then that changes things.  Wykoff would be a real good take most years, it's just this class is really deep.  He probably ends up a 4* in the end ( almost one now ).

I haven't seen anything or film in regards to Presley so I can't comment on him.  Davis is still the #1 WR in-state to me, and he may still end up in this class, but this recruitment obviously has some issues going on.

I don't see how anyone could complain about any other part of that class.

I guess he'll do the defensive side tomorrow?

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah not getting 1 of those 3 would be the only letdown.  Now if we get 1 or both of the Arizona kids then that changes things.  Wykoff would be a real good take most years, it's just this class is really deep.  He probably ends up a 4* in the end ( almost one now ).

I haven't seen anything or film in regards to Presley so I can't comment on him.  Davis is still the #1 WR in-state to me, and he may still end up in this class, but this recruitment obviously has some issues going on.

I don't see how anyone could complain about any other part of that class.

I guess he'll do the defensive side tomorrow?

Given that the Wykoffs are supposed to be card ring carrying members of the aggy belt Houston exburbs, I'm a bit surprised Roach has him in the class.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:42 PM, texifornia said:

Ok this offer's interesting. The Cal offer is at least a good sign - Wilcox knows his shit on defense. Penn State, his "dream school" (barf) just offered as well.

https://247sports.com/player/trevion-stevenson-46058229/

So does anybody know anything about this kid?  247 has him as a 2* ( low 3* composite ), but he played on a defense that gave up a little over 7 points a game last year and he had 85 tackles, 16 for loss, and 15 sacks.  Small school classification?  Bad competition?  Those stats are legit.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So does anybody know anything about this kid?  247 has him as a 2* ( low 3* composite ), but he played on a defense that gave up a little over 7 points a game last year and he had 85 tackles, 16 for loss, and 15 sacks.  Small school classification?  Bad competition?  Those stats are legit.

He's picked up Florida State, TCU, Ole Miss, WVU and Nebraska since we offered as well. Clearly a misranking happening.

11 hours ago, Thiefery said:

His momma rather him go to ou than UT..  she is the perfect aggy

Reminds me of Clayton Williams, who flew an aggy flag over his building 51 weeks a year.  Texas -ou week, he flew an ou flag.  Fucking loser.

Edited by cochamps

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Reminds me of Clayton Williams, who flew an aggy flag over his building 51 weeks a year.  Texas -ou week, he flew an ou flag.  Fucking loser.

You have no idea. That redass said this when giving away his daughter at her wedding:

Who gives this woman away?

“Her Mother, I and Texas A&M University!”

True story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

was curious about timeframes for updates

grabbed Hudson Card for an example here: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Hudson-Card-at-Lake-Travis-216182/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

Top 247 update dates post NSD were:

• 2/28/19
  • 3/31/19
  • 4/15/19
  • 5/15/19
  • 5/31/19
  • 6/15/19
  • 7/31/19
  • 10/15/19
  • 10/31/19
  • 11/15/19
  • 11/30/19
  • 12/15/19
  • 1/31/20

quick look at Jordan Whittington in 2019 shows the same general update timeframe 

• Spoiler

• 2/15
    • 3/29
    • 4/13
    • 4/28
    • 5/15
    • 5/31
    • 7/15
    • 7/31
    • 9/14
    • 9/28
    • 10/15
    • 11/15
    • 1/31

10 hours ago, Scholz said:

You have no idea. That redass said this when giving away his daughter at her wedding:

Who gives this woman away?

“Her Mother, I and Texas A&M University!”

True story

spacer.png

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1