Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, Roach reiterated that in the podcast as well. IT also said as much last week. 

With the inability to get oos guys on campus, they are shifting back to in-state. The Harmon offer and reprioritizing Coffey are indicative of that, and it sounds like they've made some headway with Mukuba as well. There is a real shot with Willis, and to a lesser extent the CA DBs, but it's good to see a real shift away from wishcasting as aggy is faced with a similar predicament. 

I'm not really sure where Willis fits in the class. He looks like a Derrick Harris upgrade, but without the frame to spin down. Don't see any camp shuttles or 40s, but he's probably a mike, maybe a will. Definitely covet.

Seems like we could have a legit shot with Ceyair Wright if we can get him on campus.  

In Roach's class prediction he had CB Philip Riley in it and TFB had him in a class prediction as well.  Not sure if any smoke to this or just fishing.

https://247sports.com/Player/Philip-Riley-46050613/

Also hope we can get the 2 Arizona OL on campus as well, we may need to push/take.

TFB also thinks we have a legit shot with Denzel Burke.

https://247sports.com/Player/Denzel-Burke-46058466/

Also seems to be more chatter lately that we are in the top group for LJ Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also seems to be more chatter lately that we are in the top group for LJ Johnson.

LJ is going to take his sweet ass time and go to LSU. It's a race with OU for Wheaton, and I hope the spot goes to defense if Wheaton doesn't take it. I would rather have Brooks and a project DB than Brooks and a late rising RB. Especially with such positive traction with Jaydon Blue in '22.

56 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Super K on LB Aaron Willis.

*I spoke with recently offered 2021 LB, Aaron Willis out of the DMV area (St. Frances Academy).

Texas recently made his top seven along with Michigan, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Maryland and Arizona State.

I’ll have more on Willis, shortly but wanted to make an initial note. As I previously mentioned, he is originally from Texas and still has family in Texas but a couple things that stood out when he expanded on that, that I was unaware of are:

– His family are Texas fans.

– Despite moving away from Texas when he was still young, he still visits the state frequently to spend time with family.

Getting Willis would be awesome. If 2 of Tillman, Gbenda, Owens, or Overshown pan out at LB, combined with the 2020 class, we could actually be really solid at LB for the next few years, despite all of Orlando’s attempts to fuck us. 

Who knows when visits will be allowed. Have to think they’ll happen sometime before NNSD2 but the timelines this cycle are going to be so weird. 

55 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also, TFB says the staff now wants Coffey.

I hope this is more of a keep him warm situation. I don’t see it with him at this point. Mukuba and Nwokobia look like better prospects IMO. 

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Seems like this class could balloon to a huge size with a good season 

Or any season for that matter. If we don’t have football this year, it’ll be very interesting to see how it affects recruiting. A lot of guys seem like they’re waiting to see how we do this year.
Maybe we can have BC run an NCAA 14 simulation with the 2020 roster where we make the CFP to show all the wait and see guys what a good season we would’ve had if we got to play. 

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's awesome that our previous defensive staff didn't know the #109 ranked player in the country, from a powerhouse high school, at a need position, grew up a Texas fan. Have fun with that, USC!

Clearly you haven’t read the Fong’s article where he calls Orlando an energetic recruiter. 

19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

LJ is going to take his sweet ass time and go to LSU. It's a race with OU for Wheaton, and I hope the spot goes to defense if Wheaton doesn't take it. I would rather have Brooks and a project DB than Brooks and a late rising RB. Especially with such positive traction with Jaydon Blue in '22.

Is there a third option where we just take one RB who’s better than Brooks? Shouldn’t be that difficult to accomplish, but Drayton gonna Drayton, I guess. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is there a third option where we just take one RB who’s better than Brooks?

Preach. 

It's Wheaton/Johnson or a bunch of projects. There is no middle tier of .92-.96 guys in-state. To be fair, we did offer every current composite top 5 RB, and were it not for quarantine, may have had a shot at Henderson. The middle tier of RBs is pretty thin nationally as well. 

The more I look at these, the more the Brooks situation is growing on me. We can't be caught with our pants down and take no one, and if we don't stay on Brooks he ends up at Tech. It's not a great class floor, but it's a floor, and he does look like a RB long term. There just aren't other guys. Pick a project and hope for one of your top 2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Preach. 

It's Wheaton/Johnson or a bunch of projects. There is no middle tier of .92-.96 guys in-state. To be fair, we did offer every current composite top 5 RB, and were it not for quarantine, may have had a shot at Henderson. The middle tier of RBs is pretty thin nationally as well. 

The more I look at these, the more the Brooks situation is growing on me. We can't be caught with our pants down and take no one, and if we don't stay on Brooks he ends up at Tech. It's not a great class floor, but it's a floor, and he does look like a RB long term. There just aren't other guys. Pick a project and hope for one of your top 2. 

If you dont land a stud, I think it would be much more beneficial to turn to JUCO or grad transfers instead of projects. Taking a bunch of projects is such a gamble, are you going to turn him into a Foreman or are you getting Toneil Carter

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If you dont land a stud, I think it would be much more beneficial to turn to JUCO or grad transfers instead of projects. Taking a bunch of projects is such a gamble, are you going to turn him into a Foreman or are you getting Toneil Carter

I think the guy you're looking at (in how he fits in, not in terms of running style) is Daniel Young. A pair of hands that can give you average production so we're not stuck converting guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

It depends entirely on the RB room. When you have a consistent contributor in each of the last 3 classes (Ingram, surprisingly RJ, and assuming Bijan contributes), you don't need the instant production of an upperclassman. These are the classes that you can afford to take a project. That would not be true in next year's class.

Fong put up a 247 article on the top 10 uncommitted prospects, anyone know if he said anything substantive about the Brockermeyers?

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Where-the-top-10-uncommitted-2021-prospects-are-leaning-146073838

Semi-related - 247 now has James as the top center prospect in the country

IT - Humidor

Spoiler

TEAM

Clearly the season starting on time is up in the air. I guess some say the season occurring at all is up in the air but I don’t share those concerns at this point. There’s a lot of time between now and August/September.

The conference commissioners have said football won’t start until students are back on campus. For the most part that makes sense. If possible it would make the most sense to bring back students during the summer rather than all at once for the fall semester. It would be akin to re-starting the economy in phases.

The Big 12 has held calls with schools to discuss the possibilities. Possibilities that have been discussed are to just play the conference schedule, or to push back the regular season. It sounds likely that there will be summer workouts.

Tom Herman has told the team to be ready to go by June 1st. That’s an optimistic goal but it should help keep the players focused.

Herman has also said if the team can’t report by June 1st, to be ready to go on July 1st. He said it’s possible they have four weeks of workouts, four weeks of practice, and then it’s go time.

For now, the team is continuing the same regimen we’ve been detailing. The players are about to enter their final week of “spring” before having a couple of weeks off.

The word is the staff has done an excellent job of keeping these guys in routine. The meetings are energetic with Herman bouncing all over the place and interjecting his presence.

As far as the players staying in physical shape, the ones I’ve heard about are all continuing to drop weight. We won’t really know what kind of shape they’re in until they return to school, but at least every other school is in the same boat.

Coaching ability is going to be on display across the country like never before. According to sources in the college ranks, this situation is going to magnify the best coaches; who got their guys prepared and who didn’t. This was relayed to us as a positive regarding linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler who employs a simple, no BS approach, to getting his point across. We’re hearing good things about the upgrades in coaching in general, but especially at linebacker and special teams. We already know Andre Coleman was a strong upgrade at wide receiver. We’re still awaiting details on the defensive backs, but we’ll probably need to hear about full speed reps before we get a good idea. Tackling and ball awareness are two things that should be upgraded but we need evidence.

STATE OF RECRUITING

As we enter day 21 or 34 or 41 or whatever it is of quarantine, cabin fever may be setting in for much of the Longhorn faithful. Friday doesn’t quite have the same meaning since there isn’t much to do over the weekend. The good news is, we still have recruiting to follow because recruiting doesn’t give a damn about pandemics.

Let’s detail some of UT’s top priorities for 2021 and the latest on top 2020 Texas hoops target Greg Brown III.

We’ll begin along the defensive line. The ideal defensive tackles in Chris Ash’s front four are Desoto’s Shemar Turner and Texarkana Pleasant Grove’s Marcus Burris.

Both four-star prospects with 20+ offers have the size (6’3.5-6’4, 255-260), strength, and ability to collapse the pocket with quickness and athleticism. Texas would be happy to land either.

Turner is in no hurry to make his decision and wants to take all his officials when we return to normalcy. He’s pretty open, though we like Texas long-term if the staff is forced to push.

As for Burris, Oscar Giles and Chris Ash told him that both he and his teammate Landon Jackson are top priorities. Texas has looked great for the past two years with Jackson. There’s a growing sense that Jackson and Burris feel like they could bring out the best in each other at the same school, like Texas.

Giles and Mark Hagen are involved, so don’t be surprised if Hagen, a former A&M assistant, reminds Burris and Jackson about the downside to living in College Station. Selling the new front is music to the ears of both players, not just Jackson.

Burris is in constant contact with the UT staff, but A&M is still in good shape. If these two play together, we have reason to believe it would be in Austin.

Texas needs to stay the course with Jackson and continue taking baby steps with Burris. There’s a real chance Texas lands both.

Alvin Shadow Creek’s Terrence Cooks, probably the state’s best inside linebacker prospect, remains high on Texas. A couple factors are helping the Horns here; Cooks’ family really likes the staff, linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler in particular, as well as the academic side of the program. Cooks is also fond of Texas commit Derrick Harris Jr., who is an excellent culture fit. Harris Jr. is recruiting the class like it’s his job and has built a strong bond with Cooks.

Nothing has changed with Texarkana Texas High OLB/DE Clayton Smith. He loves the Jack position, his similarities to Joseph Ossai, and the idea of playing with other targets like Jackson and Burris from down the street, as well as Ja’Tavion Sanders. UT was one of the first to show major interest and should be the last. There’s a real chance the 2021 defensive line haul will be the best positional haul since the 2018 defensive back class.

Speaking of Sanders and Billy Bowman, this week was fun/dumb for the dynamic Denton Ryan duo.

Sanders is locked in. He surrounds himself with former Longhorns. He hates social media. He loves to Snapchat with friends. He’s your typical 17-year old. And he likes Texas even more since they told him he can play wherever he wants. On top of it Herman added the four down linemen scheme. He and top target Landon Jackson might be building a friendship too.

Billy is all Texas, even after his father grew up an OU fan. They visited Norman but it wasn’t exactly their cup of tea. Then they were blown away during their first visit to Austin. UT remains his school.

Texas really likes Arlington Martin’s Morice Blackwell. Texas should invent the space cowboy linebacker position for him, imo. The senior-to-be four-star outside linebacker is a top target, but he may be leaning toward Baylor and Dave Aranda’s recent success with linebackers. With Blackwell looking like a difficult pull, enter South Oak Cliff’s Jaydon Williams, who loved his Texas offer. He’s seen as a great fit at Will. He’s set to announce on May 1st and we like UT’s chances.

About safety, the scuttle around Kennedale’s JD Coffey and Austin LBJ’s Andrew Mukuba is warming up. Coffey and Ash are getting closer, but there’s still work to be done here from both sides. Coffey won’t go to a school unless he feels like a priority, which of course is smart.

Texas still has work to do on Mukuba. He’s being prioritized by head coaches like Lincoln Riley and Dabo Swinney. He’s had extensive contact with each of late. We think there’s a path for Texas to land him, and UT holds some home field advantages, but it won’t be easy.

Texas loves Dallas Kimball’s Ishmael Ibraheem, the top corner in-state for 2021. We think there’s a solid chance Ibraheem will stay closer to home, but don’t rule out TCU or A&M. This might be one of those ‘we’ll pick UT versus anyone school but might take the field over UT’ recruitments. We need a name for that predicament. The ol....I don’t know.

Texas is also picking things up with Denton Guyer’s Deuce Harmon. He’s like Mukuba, though perhaps an even tougher pull. There’s a narrow path to winning this recruitment.

Texas is looking hard out-of-state and if they land an out-of-state target, here are some options we think they have a chance with:

Jamier Johnson, John Muir HS (Pasadena, CA) - The thought is Johnson wants Ohio State, but they might fill up. If that happens, Texas becomes a factor.

Ceyair Wright, Loyola (Los Angeles, CA) - The movie-star turned athlete wants to leave Cali. ND and Texas have his interest, with the Fighting Irish leading. He was set to visit right as the 'Rona was taking over. That inevitable visit will be a big deal. If he wants to continue his acting path, Austin seems a better fit than Notre Dame.

Jaylin Davies, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) - He might be a silent to USC, but who knows if that class holds up. If there’s a fallout at USC, UT will be in position to catch him.

The staff likes both 2021 wide receiver targets Hal Presley (Mansfield Summit) and Ketron Jackson (Royse City). While Jackson might be the better athlete (debatable), I’m hearing Presley might be the more coveted. We don’t believe either are too close to a decision, but we feel Presley favors the Longhorns. He’s that outside threat that could help a JoJo Earle (Aledo) or Teddy Knox (The Woodlands) find space underneath.

Despite the rash of national offers, there’s still confidence in Humble Atascocita tight end Landen King choosing Texas in the end. The 2021 three-star tight end has landed Alabama, Georgia, and LSU offers recently. Texas has some advantages, especially being the first big school to prioritize him.

Flower Mound Marcus QB Garrett Nussmeier and LSU could happen soon. That domino could then send five-star Caleb Williams to Oklahoma at some point over the next few months. That affects UT because Southlake Carroll’s Quinn Ewers (2022) may not be interested in waiting three years to play in Norman. Point - Texas.

Player to Watch: Tobechi Okoli

The 2021 prospect is probably on offer watch. At 6-foot-5, 257 pounds, the kid from Lincoln Prep in Kansas City has tons of upside and would make for a lengthy 3-tech option. He’s also around 10% body fat, and has a 3.8 GPA.

2022 Dallas Skyline nose tackle Bear Alexander is a take, but he’s the outlier because 340-pound 16 year-olds generally are topped out physically. He told us he’s still enjoying the recruiting process and speaks with Texas weekly. He, like most others, is just eager to see college campuses again. Or go outside.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Fong put up a 247 article on the top 10 uncommitted prospects, anyone know if he said anything substantive about the Brockermeyers?

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Where-the-top-10-uncommitted-2021-prospects-are-leaning-146073838

Semi-related - 247 now has James as the top center prospect in the country

JT Tuimoloau- DT- Ohio State

JC Lathom- OT- Ohio State

Leonard Taylor- DT- Florida

Caleb Williams- QB- Oklahoma

Emeka Egbuka- WR- Ohio State

James Williams- S- Georgia

Tommy Brockermeyer- OT- Alabama

Xavian Sorey- LB- Alabama

Nolan Rucci- OT- Penn State/Wisconsin

Amarius Mims- OT- Georgia

Writeup for Brockermeyer- I’m told five-star offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer and his twin brother James are nowhere close to a college decision. My 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast is with Alabama for both. I think the player development is one of the keys to their decision and the Crimson Tide along with Oklahoma are the program that have had the most players drafted at the position over the last five years with seven apiece, and we know a Brockermeyer is not going to play football at Oklahoma. And that’s because the father Blake Brockermeyer was an All-American at Texas before his long NFL career. Plus, brother Luke Brockermeyer is already at Texas as a linebacker. Maybe in the end the Brockermeyer twins choose the program they grew up rooting for but for now I think the Crimson Tide are in front with Auburn and LSU also squarely in the picture. Each program is slated to get an official with the original plan for Alabama to get two (twins have the opportunity to take 10 trips because of NCAA visit rules).

• Like 1

Texas still has work to do on Mukuba. He’s being prioritized by head coaches like Lincoln Riley and Dabo Swinney. He’s had extensive contact with each of late. We think there’s a path for Texas to land him, and UT holds some home field advantages, but it won’t be easy.

"This kid is all about academics. Loves school. Has a 4.0. Parents stress school comes first. Texas is behind OU and Clemson in this recruitment."

Every. Single. Year.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

From a purely educational standpoint, would Blake really let his kids go to LSU?

from an educational standpoint, would Blake really let his kids go to bama? or clemson? if they gave any shits about education, it's texas. the fact that the other schools are even in contention tells you all that you need to know about the importance of education.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Coffey with a CB to Texas from Demetric Warren

He also put in a Texas pick for Ibraheem.  Is Warren in the know with Uncles, trainers, and handlers?  Could go along with EJ's Texas pick on Rivals.

Warren also crystal balled Nwokobia to SMU.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He also put in a Texas pick for Ibraheem.  Is Warren in the know with Uncles, trainers, and handlers?  Could go along with EJ's Texas pick on Rivals.

Warren also crystal balled Nwokobia to SMU.

Samples looking like a proper witch now that he's getting comfortable. It wasn't the right timing for us to give him a full time role, but now I'd love to have him aboard.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'd love to have him aboard.

There are only a few ways this could play out:

1. Hagen sucks, Giles proves he can coach 25 kids at once, shitcan Hagen and add a receivers coach (or the inverse, same result)
  2. Boulware sucks, give ST to Hutzler and hire Samples for TEs with Yurcich helping coach
  3. Coleman sucks, straight swap.

The most realistic is probably 2, but I don't think Boulware will suck, so...wild card option!

1. Fire both Hagen and Giles, hire Dan Quinn/Rod Marinelli/George Edwards/Matt Patricia type and allocate the extra coach to WR.

All options feel unlikely. 

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Samples looking like a proper witch now that he's getting comfortable. It wasn't the right timing for us to give him a full time role, but now I'd love to have him aboard.

Yeah, Samples can recruit. Texas needs recruiters. Texas also needs guys that can teach the position, despite having really good production from Humphrey, Johnson, and Duvernay. Not sure Samples is at that level that he'd be much of an improvement over the fucknutz duo that were our last 2 co-WR coaches. I get he played the position, so at least that would something neither Meekins or Mehringer had.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Any time would’ve been the right time to can one or both of Mehringer and Meekins. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Crazy to think the best current outlook on positions in recruiting are DL and LB. 

I think DB will end up looking good.

OL is entirely dependent on the Brockermeyer's.

WR is a big ? right now.  Can probably throw RB in with this. 

TE probably ends up Davis and King.

Likely pretty accurate which means OL is the only position that has me worried with the talent available. This should not have been this difficult for Herman and Hand. 

Drayton "finds" another job at the end of the season. I can't help but feel they hired Boulware specifically to back up Drayton. Both coaching and recruiting. And be a replacement in place so there are no hick ups when Drayton bows out. . Boulware to RB coach. Samples to TE coach. 

Thank you for attending my TED talk. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Drayton "finds" another job at the end of the season. I can't help but feel they hired Boulware specifically to back up Drayton. Both coaching and recruiting. And be a replacement in place so there are no hick ups when Drayton bows out. . Boulware to RB coach. Samples to TE coach. 

Thank you for attending my TED talk

*TED (Kennedy) talk

• Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind with the Milroe/Bama' talk is that QB Miller Moss has a top 4 of Bama', UCLA, LSU, and USC.

LSU pretty much will get Nussmeier and USC already has a high rated QB in Jake Garcia committed so it seems looking at the situation this is basically a Bama' VS UCLA battle for Moss.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Thank you for attending my TED talk. 

On reflection. While wishing for Samples back is nice. And I do think the whole Drayton/Boulware thing is a set up for Deaytons exit. I realized this isn't set up for Samples.

It's set up for Beaty, when he gets his shit straight at Kansas( those are some sorry fucks, huh?)

Y'all know Tom. He hasn't forgot about his boy. Or stopped wanting to hire his boys. 

On reflection. While wishing for Samples back is nice. And I do think the whole Drayton/Boulware thing is a set up for Deaytons exit. I realized this isn't set up for Samples.
It's set up for Beaty, when he gets his shit straight at Kansas( those are some sorry fucks, huh?)
Y'all know Tom. He hasn't forgot about his boy. Or stopped wanting to hire his boys. 

I think you’re probably right. The better point though is that we shit all over the coaching abilities of the guys Tom brings in and gripe about player development, yet clamor for a 2nd year G5 full time assistant in place of guys with decades of P5 coaching experience.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think you’re probably right. The better point though is that we shit all over the coaching abilities of the guys Tom brings in and gripe about player development, yet clamor for a 2nd year G5 full time assistant in place of guys with decades of P5 coaching experience.

Ehhhh. The guys we all wanted canned when Samples was leaving were Meh, Meekins, and Warehime. None of those dudes had any P5 coaching experience before they got here, which is just flat out pathetic. 

I agree there’s not as clear of a fit for Samples now, but if he were already on staff, Herman easily could’ve made it work with his other coaching changes. 

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Well Samples is also one of Herman's guys. Transferred to play for Herman at UH. Herman gave him his 1st job at UH when he retired because of injury, Herman brought Samples to Texas with him from UH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

was samples at OSU when yurcich was there?  wonder if they have a relationship at all.

Samples is close with several of the staff. But not close enough to accept a non-recruiting position when he has one at SMU. 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Crazy to think the best current outlook on positions in recruiting are DL and LB. 

I think DB will end up looking good.

OL is entirely dependent on the Brockermeyer's.

WR is a big ? right now.  Can probably throw RB in with this. 

TE probably ends up Davis and King.

I'm just sort of catching up over the last couple of weeks of recruiting but I'm beginning to think that we're going to have a monster defensive class.

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Samples would be the obvious choice. great at recruiting   his dad is respected. Both Have a ton of juice in DFW.  

Or, an old white guy. 

What do you think the move would be?

Beatty has a reputation for being a good recruiter, specifically in the Dallas area.

His experience

• high school head coach in the Dallas area
  • college coach for over 10 years
  • recruiting coordinator 
  • college head coach

Nothing against Samples because it seems he may have a good future, but Beatty would be a better hire.

• Like 1